Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.4 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 2, 2016, at 3:16 pm by Eatsleaves.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

First Contact: Strings Attached

by Paul J. Nelson

The First Ten

Because First Contact: Strings Attached was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

bookowlie

I don't usually care for the sci-fi genre so my eyes glazed over when I saw this book was in that category. That being said, the Amazon summary is well-written and the author did a good job of giving the reader a concise explanation of the plot without going overboard. The cover artwork is appealing, including the font and color used for the title and author. There is a nice glossary at the beginning of the book. The writing in the sample is a little wordy and I found it hard to became absorbed in the story. I also read the official review before reading the beginning pages. Although the review is very positive, the reviewer mentioned that readers who don't care for academic writing might not like the book since you might have to look up a lot of words in the dictionary. Personally, I find this distracting in a story. If I am going to read a sci-fi book, I like it to have a lighter style and even some humor. Taking everything into account, I am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 10:41 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Rachaelamb1

I love the cover of the book and the OBC official review had me interested in reading it. I do read science fiction occasionally, but there are certain types of sci-fi that go over my head. After reading the first ten pages, this appears to be one of those types of books. I felt like there was too much new terminology and too little about the story and characters to get me interested. I will not be buying it because of that. The book appears to be professionally edited, though.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 10:57 am by Rachaelamb1.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art of this book is appealing and the title is also good. Although I probably would not have picked up this book if it was not part of the First Ten program because I do not usually read books in this genre.
After reading a few pages, I can see that it is well edited and the story is interesting for people that like sci-fi, but it is not my type of book so I will not be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 1:01 pm by Sarah_Khan.

gali

I love old school science fiction, so I would have probably sampled this book. The cover is eye-catching, the blurb is short and to the point, the premise sounds intriguing, and the official review had me hooked, I liked it that the book opened with a glossary. I liked the writing but found the insertion of numbers near certain terms (and the need to take a break from the reading in order to read the footnotes) a bit distracting. The book started well, with the interview, but then started to ramble about Zalk's past and the newly discovered Zeon. I won't buy the book as it didn't grab me enough to want to keep reading.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 2:26 pm by gali.

Vermont Reviews

Awesome preview. First Contact: Strings Attached by Paul J. Nelson
I enjoyed the preview. The main characters Zalk the professor and Gorja the interviewer are about to find out that all lives are intertwined. ** One correction I did notice that needs to be made (just desserts) not desert. Two of my favorite lines from the preview "What I do is no different from what anyone can do. I simply work at it more diligently than most people who might be inclined." And "Friends may be friends, but bad weather may result in the separation of ships at sea." Great cover art. Hopefully the balance of the book has been proofed and edited. Otherwise the author may want to consider having someone take a look at it. Overall I enjoyed the preview, but at this time my reading schedule is overbooked. Based on the preview and the reviews that I did read normally I would have purchased this book. But because of my schedule I will not be downloading a copy of this book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 2:29 pm by Vermont Reviews.

easy_dc13

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sci-Fi books are not my cup of tea. I just couldn't bring myself to have enough interest in this, or any other similar book. As with any other Sci-Fi book, there are a bunch of unfamilar terms and settings that created a disconnect between me and the story. For that reason, I will not be buying and reading the rest of the book. I will say that typos and errors are nowhere to be found so there's that, atleast.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 2:38 pm by easy_dc13.

Rachel1019

The glowing review of this book on the OBC website seems to be an accurate representation of the book. I like the title and the cover of this book. It is also in my genre, sci-fi and fantasy. The review of the book lays out the groundwork for the book. The first couple chapters of the book are exactly how the review states that the book starts. The names are very non-traditional and a little strange, but I think it adds a little intrigue. There are also different names for some common things that we know about, such as instead of saying planet, it is called an orb and the sun is the lightorb. This is a good start to what seems like it would be a good book. This is a book that I would like to read some day.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 4:08 pm by Rachel1019.

hsimone

The cover and title are appealing, the reviews (including the OBC) are all positive, the blurb is also interesting and I like that it is short and simple. However, the fact that this is Science Fiction read, I would not have picked up this book on my own.

The book seems mostly edited. However, I did find the following sentence confusing: “Then of course there were the others, who took Zalk not at all.”

The author included that Zalk has psychic abilities and has the abilitiy to see differences on their planet, and I really like this. I feel it adds a unique spin in this Sci-fic read. The necessity of looking up unfamiliar words seems like it would becomes tiring. Overall, I enjoy the author’s writing style and the concept of this book. Therefore, I plan purchasing this book today and finishing this read.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 4:21 pm by hsimone.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have chosen to read it. Neither the cover nor the title made me curious. Having sampled the book, I thought that the plot was interesting. I liked the introduction of the protagonist best. However, the numerous citations (in between the text) made it seem very informative and made me lose my flow of reading. The book seems to be professionally edited and has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. The book isn't for me, but I'm sure others would love it.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 5:32 pm by AA1495.

Kdonegan91

The cover of this book is very impressive. The title of the book informs the reader that it will be written in the sci-fi or fantasy genre. While I passably liked the sample, I am just not a fan of this particular genre and nothing I read changed my mind. The book seems to be written well and the author uses the English language exquisitely.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 7:31 pm by Kdonegan91.

L_Therese

I have a history of enjoying old-school science fiction, so I was pretty intrigued with this book when I first saw it and read the review. After the first ten pages, though, I was less enthused. The author was using some terminology replacements (tens, circuits, etc.) that didn't work for me. While they were pretty simple to understand, they didn't have the effect of enriching the fictional setting for me that I suppose was intended. Because the book wasn't working for me, I am not going to finish reading it.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 9:00 pm by L_Therese.

CrescentMoon

I really like the title, cover, and the blurb. I think the cover especially is very eye-catching and makes me want to pick the book up. I think the title is fitting and based on the blurb, it seems this book is a part of the science fiction genre which I love. The reviews on Amazon are great so clearly the author caters well to the audience with this book. After reading the first ten pages, I actually am hooked. I do want to eventually continue reading this book. I will not buy the book today but I think I will at a future date.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 10:59 pm by CrescentMoon.

lane_vespertine

If I judged First Contact: Strings Attached exclusively on the strength of the first ten pages, it would be a coin flip if I ever went back to it. The unique words seem substitutive (one word means exactly another word) which is not my favorite way to introduce new concepts. I usually prefer new vocabulary to come with it's own cultural baggage. But, I like a good science fiction yarn, and it seems pretty professionally done. So, again, who knows?
But I had read the review on this website already, and it already was top of my list thanks to the recommendation given by someone who had already read the whole book.
This all boils down to the power of a good recommendation. I, as a reader, am far less likely to be preemptively judgemental if I can trust the recommender.
Anyway, I can't wait to get back to reading this one!

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 11:01 pm by lane_vespertine.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Genaaa

I may have actually checked out the book on my own because the cover actually seems so interesting. I'm not currently planning on buying the book to read because it's just not something I'm interested in right now. However, it seemed well edited and the writer is definitely talented. The first couple pages definitely made the reader curious as to what was to come. Despite the fact what I am not going to be reading the whole thing, I'm sure there are tons of readers who will love it.

First Ten review added on October 23, 2016, at 11:38 pm by Genaaa.

Gravy

I may have looked at this book, but wouldn't have continued on to the sample. It just isn't my genre.
The blurb was nice enough, not too long, and not overly descriptive. The cover is nice and would have been what pulled me in. The sample was very readable, and I didn't notice any errors. I can see why others would enjoy this, but it's just not for me.

First Ten review added on October 24, 2016, at 5:36 am by Gravy.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book if not for this program. I read the OBC review and blurb, and I wasn't really interested. I don't usually like science fiction or fantasy. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. Right away, there was too much science fiction for me. I did like, however, that the author defined words that were made up for the book. Each word had a number next to it that coincided with a definition. The book also seemed to be professionally edited. This just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on October 24, 2016, at 10:04 am by anneloretrujillo.

Shelle

This book's cover and blurb sounded fascinating and odd, so I was glad to have the opportunity to sample it. I liked the writer's style and use of description, but couldn't really find myself becoming invested in the story. Although it's not really for me, I could see teens who enjoy the sci-fi and steampunk-esque genres really liking this book and the entire series. The book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on October 24, 2016, at 1:17 pm by Shelle.

Momlovesbooks

I could tell by the cover and description that this was another sci-fi-if novel. The OBC reviewer gave it a positive review. I read a few pages but couldn't get interested. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi. Anyone that does enjoy this genre would probably like this book. I won't be reading the remainder of it.

First Ten review added on October 24, 2016, at 1:20 pm by Momlovesbooks.

CataclysmicKnight

I love a good sci-fi novel, and this one had a really intriguing cover that had me curious. The book seemed perfectly edited thus far and the story seems to be taking off a bit now after the first ten pages, but it's been a lot of world-building thus far. As such, while the setting is being set rather well, there hasn't been anything to keep me reading quite yet.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 12:55 am by CataclysmicKnight.

truebookaddict

I found the blurb and the OBC review interesting so I would have chosen to at least sample this book. I'm a fan of science fiction/fantasy so I was intrigued.

I will not buy and read the whole book because the price is above my eBook price limit. Also, it's hard to judge the story of this one in the first ten pages. I would have to read more, as it seems a complicated story.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

The book is well-written. I could certainly tell that in the first ten pages. This is definitely a book that would appeal to lovers of science fiction and science buffs. The use of different words for years, planets, etc. was interesting and really contributed to the world building.

This book was offiicially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 4:13 am by truebookaddict.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read it. I love the cover a lot, but the blurb was a little confusing and I wasn't drawn in. After sampling the book, I have not changed my mind. I feel like although the writing style is good, there were many big chunks of text and descriptions of events and I found myself tired and starting to skim. It does seem professionally edited, and although I did not read an official review, my decision was not affected.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 4:47 am by psychopathycathy.

Cjgarland89

I am not really into sci-fi at all. Without the first ten I would not have sampled this book due to the genre. After reading the first ten, I will certainly not be finishing the book. It's well written and edited but I just couldn't get into it and it couldn't hold my attention. The OBC review was perfect, but didn't influence me to read it, it just reaffirmed that the book wasn't for me.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 6:42 am by Cjgarland89.

klbradley

As I am not usually a fan of anything in the Sci-Fi category, I kind of dismissed this one as soon as I saw it. The reviewer did have a lot of positive critique to give, which is already promising when someone else has already enjoyed the story. The Amazon synopsis was interesting, but did seem a bit wordy at times. I seemed to get lost while reading it.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 8:03 am by klbradley.

Total ~ 9%

This book earned a score of 9%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 9% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has First Contact: Strings Attached in their shelves?

19 members have First Contact: Strings Attached in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

e-tasana-williams

4-Star Shelf

TrishaAnn92

Want To Read Shelf

Bjohan79

Want To Read Shelf

rovet

Want To Read Shelf

mindyg123

3-Star Shelf

lydialeigh71

Want To Read Shelf