OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.7 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 1, 2016, at 1:16 pm by klbradley.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island

by Michael Phillip Cash

The First Ten

Because Stillwell was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Rachel1019

Based on the title and cover of the book, it already appeals to me. I enjoy reading suspenseful ghost stories. After reading the review on OBC, I was even more thrilled that this book was Book of the Day. The review boasts that the book is not only a ghost story, but also has times where it flashes back and becomes almost a historical fiction novel. These are both genres that I enjoy, which is why I was happy to download a sample of the book and read some for myself. The sample did not disappoint. It is intriguing from the very beginning. I also like that the writing is simple enough that everyone can enjoy it. This is one that I would love to read when I get the chance.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 10:21 am by Rachel1019.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

I was impressed with this story Stillwell by Michael Phillip Cash today's book of the day. After reading the preview and many of the reviews, I can see that this author has talent to express in words the emotion that goes with losing a spouse. One of the lines that I enjoyed from the preview. "He missed hew with every fibre of his being and didn't want to talk to anyone, anymore, ever again." Because of my current commitment to my reading schedule I will not be downloading this book. Based on the previews and reviews I would have purchased this book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 12:05 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I find the cover art and the title of this novel intriguing. I thought the blurb was not written very well, it was too short and did not give much information about how certain things are connected. After reading the first ten pages, I was pleasantly surprised. The writing is great and the author managed to play with my emotions in just a few pages. Unfortunately, I do not intend to read the rest of this book because the plot itself is not unique enough to make me want to commit.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 12:07 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Shelle

I didn't really know what to expect with this book and am glad I had the opportunity to sample it. I liked the author's writing style and the pacing. The opening pages about the main character's wife's illness and death are sad, but do a good job setting the scene. However, it's Christmas time and not when I typically buy and read darker and heavier books. I will put it on my list for alter. This book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 2:43 pm by Shelle.

CrescentMoon

I like the cover of the book. It gives a very creepy and sinister vibe which is very fitting for this ghost story. After reading the blurb, I am intrigued. I think this story sounds very tragic but interesting and it is unique as I have never read anything like this before which does make me want to pick it up. After reading the first ten pages, I am hooked. I like the writing style. The sentences flow well and I am interested in seeing how Paul frees his wife's soul. I will finish reading this.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 3:31 pm by CrescentMoon.

klbradley

I stumbled across this book in the local Public Library, and when I realized that this was a local author to my area, I knew I had to at least give it a shot. That was around a year ago, and I have to say, I have probably already recommended this book to at least ten different people. I'm a huge fan of horror stories, and this one did not disappoint! I'm not going to buy the book today since I have already read it, but still highly recommend it to others!

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 3:35 pm by klbradley.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. The cover didn't interest me. Having read the sample, I thought that the characters' feelings were described well. However, too many characters were introduced in the first few pages. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review which states that the book is full of suspense. I do not read suspense usually, and hence, while I'm sure it's a great book, I will not be reading it further.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 3:56 pm by AA1495.

Kdonegan91

Firstly, I love the cover of this book and the title left me wanting to know more. Even though the review and sample of this book are well-written, it did not peak my interest. I am simply not a fan of ghost stories or the whole supernatural aspect. I don't believe in them and I enjoy my books to have realism. With that said, I wish you the best of luck because this book does seem like a must-read for a reader that enjoys this genre.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 5:51 pm by Kdonegan91.

bookowlie

The cover is eye-catching and appropriately spooky, and I like the way the title is displayed. The summary blurb is well written and gave me a good flavor of the past-and-present pThe lot. I also read the positive Official Review that stated the book includes the standard "haunting" elements. The sample pages have a nice flow and emotional feel about the main character's loss of his wife. There is also a good backstory about his wife's illness. Unfortunately, I get too scared by ghost stories and movies. As a result, based on the summary, sample, and review, I don't think this book is a good fit for me.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 7:35 pm by bookowlie.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. I really love the cover art, and the blurb seemed very intriguing. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing was beautiful and engaging, and I felt like the pace moved along very well. It was professionally edited. I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on December 6, 2016, at 11:03 pm by psychopathycathy.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the title, cover, OBC review, and genre. It seemed like a really interesting book. I love haunting stories. After reading the first ten pages, I will be purchasing this book. It really had me interested. The style pulled me in as soon as I started reading it. When I got to the end of the sample, I wanted to read more. I felt like there was suspense right away when the little girl was saying her mom, who had just died, was there. I want to know if it was really the mom or something else. Also, the book seemed to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2016, at 12:58 am by anneloretrujillo.

L_Therese

I wasn't too enthused by this book from the start. I'm not big into ghost stories, so I didn't envision myself wanting to purchase the book. The reviewer had all good things to say, but it still would hold the most appeal for a lover of the paranormal. When I read the sample, the quality of writing was exemplary. The tone was very pleasant to read, but again, the ghost thing. In the end, I'm still not going to add it to my list. However, if I were at all inclined to choose a ghost story strictly for fun today, this would have been a remarkably good candidate.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2016, at 1:20 am by L_Therese.

Gravy

I thought this was a good start, and find myself interested. A bit felt false, some dialogue and whatnot, but most was spot on. I didn't even notice any errors. I liked the attention to detail, the way Paul's emotions were described. It felt very real.
The cover pulls me in, and I likely would have checked it out because of that.
I can't say that I will absolutely read this, but as I only read paper books, I'd have to answer no, regardless. However, I am making a note of it.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2016, at 5:43 am by Gravy.

chocomeiske

I love the spooky cover and the description promises a ghost mystery, perfect for the time of year!
The sample was heartbreaking. We meet Paul whose wife has recently died from cancer. He is devastated and his despair is palpable. I think the author's writing style captures and portrays emotions very well. This is a book I would have no problem getting lost in.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2016, at 9:38 am by chocomeiske.

Rachaelamb1

Great cover and description. This is not the type of book I would normally read because I do not like ghost stories. The first ten pages are good, but a little heavy on the back history. I like the author's writing style. I will not be reading the rest of the book because I'm not a huge fan of paranormal novels. The OBC official review was very positive, but did not really affect my decision. The book seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2016, at 10:13 am by Rachaelamb1.

hsimone

I cover is very interesting, while the title is a bit confusing. Both the blurb and the genre also piques my interest level. Most of the reviews are positive, which again only adds to the positive view of this book. Therefore, I might have sampled this on my own. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I liked how the author is able to portray the protagonist's feelings of his wife passing; it seems realistic. Though the transition from the Prologue to the first chapter could have been better. It was unclear how much time the author was going back to, and I had to sit for a second or two to get my mindset that we are now in the past. After sampling, I'm not sure if I would fully enjoy the book, so I will not be purchasing the book today.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2016, at 11:37 am by hsimone.

Momlovesbooks

The description of this book was captivating. I love the mystery, supernatural theme. I eagerly read the first few pages, and wanted to keep reading. Some supernatural stories are too eerie and unnatural for my taste. Normally, I would grab this book up, but I have too long of a reading list right now. I'm having to be very choosy about what I plan to read.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2016, at 9:08 pm by Momlovesbooks.

MarisaRose

If I had not sampled "Stillwell" I may have considered reading the book. The blurb and great reviews (including the official OBC review) intrigued me. I enjoy a good ghost story and "Stillwell" seemed like it would be an enjoyable read. After sampling the first ten pages, I am definitely going to purchase and finish this book. The author does a lovely job setting the mood. Almost immediatrly I felt the creepy stir of a good ghost story. The empty house, the way Paul describes his family and circumstance all felt eerie and sad. I can't wait to see what else this book has in store. Not only does the book seem well edited, the prose seems exceptionally well written as well!

First Ten review added on December 7, 2016, at 9:33 pm by MarisaRose.

jungkookblog

I wouldn't have read this book based on the title, cover, etc. because it seems very weird and not my cup of tea. I am not going to buy or read the whole book because the plot isn't what I like. It didnt change me from my original guess. It seems like it was professionally edited. I loved all the details in the book, just enough to satisfy the reader. I did not see a review, and it has affected my decision.

First Ten review added on December 7, 2016, at 11:36 pm by jungkookblog.

CataclysmicKnight

I was pretty interested in this one the first time I heard about it, so ha Inc if as a book of the day gave me an excuse to check it out. However, the first ten pages were incredibly slow plot-wise. I know they were written to show Allison's loss to cancer, and while it's edited well and the author can really show the pain of loss, it lost my attention. The plot still sounds really interesting, but I doubt I'll finish it.

First Ten review added on December 8, 2016, at 12:58 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Cjgarland89

The OBC review and Amazon reviews of this book immediately caught my attention. Paul trying to save his wife's soul is a great plot, and really made me want to go beyond the first ten. I have already bought the book and will be finishing. I love suspense thrillers and this one I am sure will not disappoint. The author didn't have any errors and I love the writing style, easy to read and not overly complex.

First Ten review added on December 8, 2016, at 6:43 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 29%

This book earned a score of 29%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 29% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Stillwell in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Stillwell in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

klbradley

4-Star Shelf

Lacey-dolin

Want To Read Shelf

cts827

Want To Read Shelf

rachel_jacks

4-Star Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf