Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on July 25, 2016, at 12:19 am by Thimble.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Gamers and Gods: The Complete Trilogy

by Matthew Kennedy

The First Ten

Because Gamers and Gods: The Complete Trilogy was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

James Craft

I will definitely be reading the rest of this book. The title is catchy, the blurb is short and doesn't really give much away, but from reading the beginning of this book I am hooked. The fact that there is only one amazon review is a negative, but one I can overlook. I love books about video games and things that mash up a lot of different things like this, so this is certainly something I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into. It only received a three-star review from OBC, but it makes it sound even more like something I would like so I will definitely be checking this one out!

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 10:37 am by James Craft.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book without the program due to lack of info on the back cover. The cover is nice, but the blurb isn't too informative. The book started well enough, with the healer restoring the life of the boy, then moving to an action scene. I found the action a bit confusing, till I understood it was a computer game. The concept sounds interesting, but the sample failed to grab me. In addition, I am not a big fan of video games or physics, and the official review stated that the book contains of both. I won't read the book as it isn't my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 10:38 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

This book series has a nice appearance with an attractive cover and a different color for each book. I didn't care for the summary blurb since it was too general. Although I don't read a lot of science fiction, I might have been more interested if the blurb contained more details about the plot. The sample pages are well-written, but I noticed one formatting error - there is no line break before the Chapter 1 line. I was unable to become absorbed in the story, but that might be due to my reading tastes. Although the OBC review is very positive, I am not interesting in reading further based on the sample.

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 10:54 am by bookowlie.

jamesabr

I would have sampled this book due to the review that I read of it on OnlineBookClub if I didn't come across this program. The first ten pages of Aes seem well-versed in the mythological story of Hippolytus and Poseidon's influence on the situation, and both Asklepios and Epione's dialogue wasn't stilted. I will not purchase the book in the future, because despite all of the positive qualities of it, I am not enough of a fan of mythology to engage in the story that may develop between the people of 2051 AD and the figures of 1250 BC. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 11:01 am by jamesabr.

CataclysmicKnight

I am a MAJOR gamer. I've played video games for nearly 30 years now and don't ever see myself quitting. Between that and my love of mythology, I was really psyched to read this! Once again I read past the first ten pages and didn't want to stop. The fact that it was only 99 cents was the tipping point, I'll definitely buy this and read it sometime! I did notice one grammatical error, but it was minor :D

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 1:54 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Kdonegan91

The title is definitely unique and sparked my curiosity. However, the cover lacks creativity. I am not a fan of the sci-fi/fantasy genre and I am not a gamer. The sample and OBC review did not change my opinion. Therefore, I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 1:58 pm by Kdonegan91.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I am immediately intrigued because the cover art and the title of this trilogy reminds me of The Song of Ice and Fire series, of which I am a fan. I thought the blurb should have had more information regarding the plot and even after reading the online book club review, I do not know what to expect.
After reading the first ten pages, this book does seem professionally edited and well-written, but unfortunately I was left confused. I still do not know what exactly this story is about and it seems like no one can explain it properly, so I assume the story is also confusing therefore I do not intend to purchase this trilogy today.

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 2:06 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

Gamers and Gods: The Complete Trilogy by Matthew Kennedy today's book of the day. For me was an impressive read. One of my favorite lines from the preview. "Sometimes the pain of the truth is preferable to the pleasure of fantasy." I purchased a copy of the book based on the preview I read. It was good enough to make me want to see how the story progresses. I would enjoy reading more of Matthew Kennedy's works. Well written. I can't wait to see how the book progresses from here.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 2:40 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

I'm not sure I would pick this book up because I'm not much into video games. I actually think this is a very intriguing concept for a book. The combination of gaming, mythology, and physics is very unique and I am sure fans of all genres would have a deeper appreciation for these books. However, I don't think I am the target audience for this.

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 2:57 pm by CrescentMoon.

Cjgarland89

After reading the sample of book one, I am a little overwhelmed by the language used. The writer does have an ease about his writing style that I can appreciate. The OBC review painted a great picture of what was in the books and the basis of what the inspiration was it didn't really contribute to my decision to not want to finish the book. I didn't see any errors in the sampling.

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 8:17 pm by Cjgarland89.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because I love gaming and this gives off a interesting plot! I am going to read this book because it seems very interesting and it gives off a vibe of Sword Art Online. It seems professionally edited. I like the book because the author takes gaming things into the book. I did not see a review, but I don't think it would've affected my decision.

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 10:46 pm by jungkookblog.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I am not familiar with gaming terminology. Further, I usually don't read books that are part of series. Having read the sample, I liked the author's writing style. The characters' thoughts are described effectively & the sample made me curious about the story. However, I didn't like the pace at which the plot was moving in the sample. The books seem to be professionally edited. The series has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I am sure people who are familiar with gaming will enjoy reading this series, I will not be reading the books further.

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 11:37 pm by AA1495.

anneloretrujillo

I probably wouldn't have sampled this book based on the title, cover, blurb, genre and review. I don't usually like science fiction or fantasy. I'm also not a big fan of the gaming world. The fact that it is a series also made me hesitant to read it. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. The vocabulary followed the genre too much for me. I did like the description and that the author defined some of the words. The book did seem to be edited.

First Ten review added on January 13, 2017, at 1:33 am by anneloretrujillo.

L_Therese

I not a gamer, so I probably would not have tried this book without this program. When I first considered it, the initial impression was that this was an awful lot of book. This means that the value of the price might be greater, but it also means a commitment that I almost certainly don't have time to keep if I add it to my list. When I read the first ten pages, I was happy to have a little bit of mythology to go with the gamers that I met. At this point, there's really very little indication where the book is going, but the editing looks pretty good so far, and there are plenty of pages left for plot and characters. In the end, I decided not to finish the book mostly because it is so long.

First Ten review added on January 13, 2017, at 5:43 am by L_Therese.

klbradley

Seeing how many other members have added this series to their shelves is pretty nice, especially with the well-rated review it received. I'm not sure how my interest would hold with this book, especially seeing as how it starts out in Greece in 1250BC. I'm more of a modern-day reader. Right now, my list of to-read has far exceeded my current abilities, so I'm going to pass on this one.

First Ten review added on January 13, 2017, at 1:27 pm by klbradley.

Momlovesbooks

The title threw me off. I wasn't sure what this about until I read the description. It sounded like an interesting storyline. I read the first few pages and thought I would like the mythology part. However, the plot jumped around in time. It left me hanging with the first chapter and fast forwarded hundreds of years. I hope if I read further, it would explain it. However, I'm not a big fan of sci-fi and this seems to lean more towards that than mythology. I won't be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on January 13, 2017, at 4:04 pm by Momlovesbooks.

hsimone

I am not a big gamer, so the title is not appealing to me. The cover is also not appealing for me. Also, science fiction is one of my least favorite genres. Then, the OBC review mentions that this book contains talk about physics, and this is a subject that I do not enjoy. Therefore, without this program, I would not have sampled this read on my own.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really like how the Greek gods are tied into this story because I have been interested these gods for a while now and don't get to read too much about them. The beginning seemed a bit too rushed. At first, I didn't have an idea of what was going on and where the characters were. I also am leery when new terms are thrown into a text without a clear explanation right from the beginning. For instance, I'm not sure what a 'Jerx' is, but it is mentioned a few times. Overall, I don't feel I will like this trilogy and do not plan on buying the set.

First Ten review added on January 13, 2017, at 4:08 pm by hsimone.

MarisaRose

"Gamers and Gods" is not the type of book I would typically choose to read. However, I found the official OBC review and the blurb to be interesting. I liked that the concept for this series seemed a unique blend of gaming, mythology and science. From sampling the beginning of this book, I can tell the writing is solid and the style is interesting. However, after the prologue, I wasn't really sure what was going on. I think the gaming aspect of the novel may have thrown me off as I am not a gamer and not familiar with certain terminology associated with the gaming world. As such, I have chosen not to continue reading this book, but I can see how it would appeal to others.

First Ten review added on January 13, 2017, at 10:23 pm by MarisaRose.

Gravy

I honestly can't say if I would've looked at this. It likely would've depended on my mood.
I wasn't sure what to expect. At first the gamer lingo distracted me, but it was fairly easy to buy into. The writing held my interest, and I didn't notice any major issues.
The length of the whole story, along with my having to read a physical copy, makes me loath to say I will read this. However, I plan to make a note of it for later.

First Ten review added on January 14, 2017, at 12:29 am by Gravy.

truebookaddict

I would have been interested in reading this outside of thie program because I'm a lover of mythology, and while not currently a gamer, I can appreciate gaming. I played when I was a teen, and I also played D & D.

I bought the book at the excellent discount price and intend to readl it eventually. I really enjoyed the prologue with the mythology setting/story.

The book seems professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

As I said, the prologue with the mythology was very interesting. However, when I got into the first chapter, I was not very keen on the fighting. I hope there is not an overabundance of fighting in the book. If so, I can perhaps tolerate it if enough mythology is mixed throughout the book.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on January 14, 2017, at 6:15 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 25%

This book earned a score of 25%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 25% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Gamers and Gods: The Complete Trilogy in their shelves?

25 members have Gamers and Gods: The Complete Trilogy in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

melni

Want To Read Shelf

mtmom57

Want To Read Shelf

Asian book worm

Want To Read Shelf

Thimble

3-Star Shelf

Shayshays

Want To Read Shelf

jamesabr

Want To Read Shelf