OnlineBookClub.org

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.4 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on July 6, 2016, at 12:34 am by jacnthabox.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Roan: The Tales Of Conor Archer

by E. R. Barr

The First Ten

Because Roan was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

bookowlie

The cover artwork is eye-catching, but the subtitle almost disappears into the background. The Amazon summary blurb is extremely long and busy with an overabundance of minor details. I found it a little boring and it didn't excite me about reading the story. Although I didn't notice any errors, the beginning pages are written in a wordy, long-winded style that doesn't flow smoothly. I wasn't able to become engaged in the story and am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 10:41 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

The cover art and the title of this book are just okay, but the synopsis is very interesting. After reading the Online Book Club review I was excited to start reading the sample.
I have to say I was a little disappointed after reading the first few pages. I found the writing confusing, it seemed like the author packed way too much information in just the first few pages. I also did not like the really long paragraphs. For these reasons I do not intend to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 11:59 am by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

E.R. Barr is a wonderful storyteller. With great characters and I downloaded this book back in July of this year. Great choice for the book of the day.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 12:52 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I love Urban Fantasy and this book sounds like my cup of tea. The official review piqued my interest much more than the blurb. Speaking of that, I found the blurb too detailed, revealing too many details about the book. I like the cover, though the eyes in the picture are a bit scary... I enjoyed the sample and liked the writing. The plot drew me in and I quickly became engaged in the tale. I have the book and plan to start it this week!

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 2:26 pm by gali.

ALynnPowers

The length of this book, in addition to the lengthy, complicated summary of the story, was the first hint that I didn't really have any interest in this book. Sampling the book revealed an opening with an old Irish ballad, which was another immediate sign that I would not be interested in reading any more of this book. The prologue jumps into a fishing scene, complete with more song lyrics -- both of which indicate big red flags that this just isn't a kind of book that I should spent my time with. There wasn't really anything connecting me to this book at all. While this book might have been a good choice for the OBC reviewer and others who love fantasy of this length and genre, it's just not something that holds my interest.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 3:57 pm by ALynnPowers.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. It doesn't belong to a genre that I usually read. Having sampled the book, my opinion remains. I liked the writing style of the author. The transition between the present and the protagonist's memories was handled effectively. However, I did not like the pace at which the plot was moving. The book seems to be professionally edited and has a perfect Onlinebookclub review. I'm sure that people who like the Genre would love the book, but it isn't for me.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 4:16 pm by AA1495.

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, title, blurb, and reviews, I would pick up this book. I love the cover. The pale blue and the black and the supernatural eyes really conveys the mystery and supernatural aspect of this book. It is very eye-catching. I think the title makes sense and the blurb makes this story sound really interesting. After reading the first ten pages, I will continue reading the rest of the book. I am intrigued by the storyline and give kudos to the author for getting readers hooked.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 5:27 pm by CrescentMoon.

hsimone

Everything about this read would lead me into picking it up - the enticing cover, the mysterious title, the genre (fantasy), and the positive reviews. Especially, the positive review given by an OBC reviewer.

While reading the first few pages, the book seems to be professionally edited. I really love the mysterious feeling I get when reading. The crazy man that bites Conor, the woman that heals him for now, and the confusion as to why. It is beautifully done, and to be honest I can't wait to finish reading this one! I already own the book, so I will not be purchasing it today, but I will continue reading it~

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 5:38 pm by hsimone.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have read this book based on the OBC review and the genre. I'm not really into fantasy books. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying the book. I couldn't get into the language of the book. I didn't like that most of the sentences didn't start with a subject. I understand that it adds to the setting of the book, but I wasn't a big fan of that style. I didn't really notice any grammar errors other than the sentences purposely being written the way they were. I think it would be a great book for people who like fantasy; it just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 9:30 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Rachaelamb1

From the cover I assumed this was a paranormal novel and was not interested. The book description is very long and seems to explain the entire beginning in too much detail. Based on that, I would not have normally chosen this book to read. However, after reading the OBC official review, I was interested in checking it out. The first ten pages are good, but not exactly anything special. I would not normally buy this book, but I did based on the fact that it is the BOTM for November. The OBC review was also a large factor in deciding to buy it. I'm hoping I will fall in love with the rest of the book. I am a little concerned by the length. I usually only buy books this long when it is from an author I love! The book seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 10:14 pm by Rachaelamb1.

L_Therese

I'll admit the description of this book sounded very interesting, and the review just absolutely glowed. The thing that made me hesitate about deciding to read it was the length. For a book that is part of a series, it is quite long at 570 pages. I don't think I have the time to invest in a book of that length. The first ten pages would really need to impress, and I don't think I was impressed enough. If the book were half the length, I would probably read it, but I haven't got time for 570 pages of pleasure reading. It would take months.

First Ten review added on October 30, 2016, at 12:32 am by L_Therese.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. Although the cover is great and the beginning of the synopsis is interesting, I think the Amazon summary is far too long and I felt too lazy to read through it if it hadn't caught my interest at the start. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I felt like the pace was slow and the writing dragged a little, and I cannot bring myself to continue, even though the writing seems professionally edited and meticulous. I did not read an official review, but that did not change my mind

First Ten review added on October 30, 2016, at 12:55 am by psychopathycathy.

Gravy

I was interested in this from the review, and the sample kept me interested. I didn't notice any errors, and while the cover isn't great, it isn't bad. I would definitely have looked at this book, and I love the premise.
I would most likely answer yes, if I read ebooks. As it is, I am looking into getting it. The one thing that makes me hesitate is not knowing if it ends in a cliffhanger, and not having any info about the second book.

First Ten review added on October 30, 2016, at 2:31 am by Gravy.

Rachel1019

The title and cover of this book are enough to intrigue me into picking up this book. They are dark and mysterious, which I really like. After reading the review of this book on OBC, I was overjoyed that this book was Book of the Day. I was so happy that I was going to be able to read even just a small portion of this book. I agree with the reviewer completely after reading the prologue and the first chapter. I love the fantasy genre, and this book has already in 10 pages drawn me in and I am so excited to be able to finish reading this book. I will absolutely be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on October 30, 2016, at 2:44 pm by Rachel1019.

Momlovesbooks

The description of this book seemed like something I would enjoy. I read the first few pages and became interested. The writing seemed to be professionally edited. The main character was unique and drew me into his world. I plan on reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on October 30, 2016, at 5:07 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Genaaa

I remember seeing this book on the website before and thought it looked pretty interesting. While the writing style is excellent, I don't plan on actually reading the whole book as of now. That may change as time goes on though. The cover is amazing and really draws the reader in though.

First Ten review added on October 30, 2016, at 8:51 pm by Genaaa.

klbradley

I'm already interested in this one due to it being the November book of the month. The review given was excellent, and this story seeks to be one worth reading!

First Ten review added on October 30, 2016, at 10:34 pm by klbradley.

lane_vespertine

As I understand it, this book is the BOTM for November, so I will be reading it. That said, if it wasn't I wouldn't be reading it. It comes down to this: exposition heavy beginning are the surest things to turn me off a book. I get it. As an author, you want to set up as much as you can so you can begin your story. Unfortunately, giving me detailed accounts of catfish fishing while pondering remembered rattlesnake mutilations, who has the best pop, and what grandma said is just sooooo boring! Start off with a conversation or an activity. Let the exposition happen organically. Cover looks cool though, and other people seem to like it. Probably completely wrong here.

First Ten review added on October 31, 2016, at 3:39 am by lane_vespertine.

Cjgarland89

This book had already caught my attention as November book of the month and I had already planned to read it. The sample reaffirmed that, the main character seems intriguing and I would love to learn more. The book looks professionally edited and is written well and easy to read. I would have read this with or without the program due to it being book of the month and it's one that actually interests me.

First Ten review added on October 31, 2016, at 7:01 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 42%

This book earned a score of 42%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 42% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Roan in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Roan in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Scott

Want To Read Shelf

Lovelace

Want To Read Shelf

DB44

Want To Read Shelf

BookJunkieMom

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

gali

3-Star Shelf