Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 1.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on July 3, 2016, at 5:45 pm by L_Therese.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781534885615

Doomed Soul: Reflections of a Man Without Faith

by Robert Boomsliter

The First Ten

Because Doomed Soul was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled this book without this program as it isn't the type of book I'd normally read. The blurb didn't grab me, nor did it sound like my cup of tea. Reading the sample reinforced that impression. The beginning pages started well. The author represented his arguments well and it is obvious some thought went into it. I even agreed with some of his arguments. Saying that, it didn't interest me enough to want to read further.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2016, at 10:04 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

hsimone

The cover and the title deem this to be a thought-provoking book. The ratings look mostly positive and the blurb seems interesting. Prior to this program, I might have given the sample a try. After sampling the book I have decided, however, not to continue this read.

The book does seem to be professionally edited, which is probably the best part of what I read. I simply cannot continue reading about a topic that goes against so much of what I believe in.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2016, at 11:02 am by hsimone.

CataclysmicKnight

I'm all for some humor of almost any sort, and I enjoy insight into religion whether it's to substantiate a religion or no religion at all, as is the case with this book. However, I'm not a fan when someone acts as though the other side (a particular religion, all religion or atheism) is dangerously, offensively wrong, and it seemed like this is where this book is going. It's well-written, but not my style, so I won't be finishing it.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2016, at 1:13 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Vermont Reviews

I have to say that after previewing the first ten pages this book certainly makes the reader think. The author Robert Boomsliter has some very interesting and thought provoking words within his book. It is well written and seems to have been professionally edited. The cover would make me look deeper into reading more about this book. If my plate was not so currently full, I would have wanted to read the balance of this book. I would be interested in reading more works by this author. I like a book that make you question your beliefs.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on August 15, 2016, at 1:58 pm by Vermont Reviews.

anneloretrujillo

I hadn't really wanted to read the book based on the review and blurb because the content did not seem interesting to me. After reading the first ten pages, I still didn't want to read it. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with the book; it just isn't for me. It seems to be well-written and free from errors; I just didn't really enjoy it.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2016, at 3:00 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Shelle

Had I not had the opportunity to sample this book, I likely would not have chosen it. Based on the cover and blurb, I doubt I would have found these reflections to be enjoyable to read. After sampling this book, my initial gut reaction was proven to be true. I actually dislike this book more after reading the first few pages. I found the author's writing style to be very authoritative and even condescending at times. The book does appear to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2016, at 6:07 pm by Shelle.

Gravy

While I respect the opinions of the author, I have a problem with anyone's beliefs being degraded, which (going by the review) this does. It isn't something I would seek out to read, and I won't be continuing it.
The cover seems to be what the author intended, and isn't poorly done.
I just have to wonder about the legality of using directly quoted letters to the editor in a published work.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2016, at 10:17 pm by Gravy.

Momlovesbooks

I wouldn't have chosen to read this book based on the title and blurb I read. It appears fatalistic and depressing. I could barely make it through the first few pages. I felt a heaviness in my heart just reading it. Based on my personal feelings, I won't continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2016, at 3:49 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Cjgarland89

I would have avoided this book due to the assumed religion bashing that I figured would take place. The author's writing is a bit confusing to me, perhaps I don't understand what he is trying to convey or what message he is trying to get across but I didn't like the book and will not continue to read the rest of it. The grammar and spelling was good and I didn't see any errors.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2016, at 7:14 pm by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

Yes, I definitely would have chosen to read this based on the subject matter alone.

Yes. I actually bought the book and I will read the whole thing. Although I'm not an Atheist, I am a non-Christian, and I find myself aligned with many of the author's beliefs and viewpoints.

The book seems professionally edited. No typos or grammatical errors noted.

I like the author's straightforward and non-hysterical tone in what he writes. It's obvious he knows a lot about what he's writing and is not just rambling. I can't wait to finish the book. I see no need for any improvement here.

First Ten review added on August 17, 2016, at 1:43 am by truebookaddict.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Total ~ 10%

This book earned a score of 10%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 10% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Doomed Soul in their shelves?

8 members have Doomed Soul in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Ryker500

Want To Read Shelf

FIBERONE

Want To Read Shelf

Maryannwrites-15

Want To Read Shelf

fallenechoes

Currently Reading Shelf

bookowlie

2-Star Shelf

L_Therese

1-Star Shelf