Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.9 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on July 2, 2016, at 8:17 pm by Rachaelamb1.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781910508190

Saint George: Rusty Knight and Monster Tamer

by John Powell

The First Ten

Because Saint George: Rusty Knight and Monster Tamer was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

VinuW

The title and the cover art of the book suggested that the book would be a humorous one, and this is exactly why I started reading it enthusiastically. The book proved to be very interesting and witty. According to Amazon, the book was intended for children, but the inclusion of a few bombastic words made me question this fact. I wouldn't be reading this book, but I would definitely recommend it to young readers.

First Ten review added on October 12, 2016, at 10:24 am by VinuW.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

The cover artwork is very cute, although it's seems too juvenile-looking for a 144-page book in the recommended 10-14 age range (stated on Amazon). It reminds me of the type of picture you would see on a picture book for ages 3-6. The Amazon summary is witty and appears to be professionally edited, but the explanation of the plot is a little busy. I also found the sample pages a little busy and long-winded, and was unable to become absorbed in the story. Other might like this book, but it doesn't seem to my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on October 12, 2016, at 10:30 am by bookowlie.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book without this program as this is kids' book. I don't read kids' books unless it is for review purposes. The cover is very cute I have to say. The blurb didn't give me enough sense of the tale, but the official review did. The sample started rather slow, with the altercations between Merlin and Freddie, which failed to amuse me. I found the section about George more animated. I didn't really connect to the tale or the writing, but kids may like it better as they are the target audience. I won't buy the book as I am not the intended audience, nor does it appeal to me.

First Ten review added on October 12, 2016, at 10:32 am by gali.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have chosen it. The cover makes it seem like a book that is only for children. Having read the book, I found the characters interesting. What I liked best about the sample was the humor element in it. What could be improved upon is the pace of the plot. The book seems to be professionally edited and has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. However, I will not read the book further because it is not a genre I prefer and the plot didn't make me curious.

First Ten review added on October 12, 2016, at 11:51 am by AA1495.

Momlovesbooks

This book was given a perfect score by the OBC reviewer. They believed it would capture children's attention and give them a love for reading. I usually enjoy a good Medieval, knights and dragons type of story. After reading a few pages, I decided I wouldn't continue reading it, but I think younger children and pre-teens would enjoy it. The characters were colorful and imaginative. The book seemed to be well-edited.

First Ten review added on October 12, 2016, at 4:38 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Vermont Reviews

I want some of that Marmogugelhupf cake. I had to download this book for the grandkids. They will love it. Merlin, King Freddie and Saint George the Rusty Knight. I loved the preview. Thanks so much for picking this one as book of the day. Love the cover art. John Powell has a winner here in this book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on October 12, 2016, at 5:29 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Sarah_Khan

At first glance this book seems like a children's book therefore I would not have picked it up. After reading a few pages, I can see it is well edited. The plot does seem interesting but even though the synopsis says this book can be for both adults and kids I still think it is a little juvenile so I do not think I will read the rest.

First Ten review added on October 12, 2016, at 6:42 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Rachel1019

Based on the title and the cover of this book, I would not have originally chosen this as a book that I would enjoy reading. But after reading the wonderful review on OBC and the sample of this book, I think it could be very nice to read this book. The names of the characters are either simple or memorable, and the names of the monsters is silly and fun. This seems like a very well written children's book. If I had a child this would be a great option to read to them, and to teach them how to read.

First Ten review added on October 12, 2016, at 7:23 pm by Rachel1019.

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, title, blurb, and reviews, I would not pick this book up. The only reason why is because I am not into reading children's books and I personally am never really around kids so I don't really have anybody to recommend this book to. I do like the writing style as it is simple and direct which is perfect for children. But I will not continue reading this book because I am not the target audience.

First Ten review added on October 12, 2016, at 8:43 pm by CrescentMoon.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have bought it, but I do love the cover very much, and I think it perfectly suits the age group this book is targeted towards. After reading the ten pages, I have not changed my mind, but I feel as though this is because I am older than the target audience. I love the mood of this story; it contains a humorous blend of ancient, mythical settings, and the delightful playfulness of children's innocence, which I very much enjoyed. I did not read an OnlineBookClub review, but this did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on October 12, 2016, at 11:25 pm by psychopathycathy.

L_Therese

The description and review of this book really made it sound adorable. Since I'm an adult, and I have no children in my household, I was pretty sure I was not going to purchase the full book, but I certainly wanted to read the sample anyway just for kicks and giggles. Ten pages into the book, it wasn't quite as cute as I expected, but it was in the same metaphorical zip code. I still will not be purchasing the full text, but only because I'm neither child nor parent.

First Ten review added on October 13, 2016, at 12:09 am by L_Therese.

Gravy

From what I read, this is very cute and funny. It's outside my typical preference (even for juvenile fiction), so I won't be reading it, but I would recommend it. I didn't notice any errors, though there was an instance of unfortunate word choice (in my opinion).
I most enjoyed the monsters, and the effect the cake had.

First Ten review added on October 13, 2016, at 2:59 am by Gravy.

hsimone

Based on the adorable cover and title, the intriguing blurb, the genre (children's) and all the positive reviews (including the OBC review), I would definitely have sampled this on my own.

Within the first ten pages, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I love the different personalities of Freddie and Merlin. It's almost comedic on how they interact with each other. While reading, I will admit that I have a difficult time picturing what certain creatures/monsters look like. For instance, a "Hungarian woggalog" or an "Alpine yoddlelog", however, I feel it might add to the charm of this book. Overall, I do plan on giving 'Saint George' a full read.

First Ten review added on October 13, 2016, at 4:12 am by hsimone.

easy_dc13

Fantasy books are not my cup of tea, not by a longshot. So I wouldn't have been to excited read this one. For that, I will not be buying and reading the whole book. The formatting in the Kindle Cloud Reader was not for me, I found it hard to read because it felt crowded. The book didn't command my attention in any way and I noticed that necessary commas weren't inserted whenever one of the character's was mentioned. That is all I have to say here.

First Ten review added on October 13, 2016, at 4:33 am by easy_dc13.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book based on the OBC review, title and genre. I do enjoy children's books, but I am not really interested in reading one at this time. I feel the same way after reading the first ten pages. It sounds like a cute children's book, but I don't have anyone to read it with; and it isn't one that I would read on my own. I also noticed right away that there were a few punctuation errors in the book.

First Ten review added on October 13, 2016, at 12:09 pm by anneloretrujillo.

CataclysmicKnight

I'd heard of this one before, so this made a perfect excuse to give it a try. The book has a really solid sense of humor to it and the book has already snuck in a few wise points. The writing and editing are solid and I'm hooked, so I'll definitely finish it sometime!

First Ten review added on October 13, 2016, at 12:18 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

truebookaddict

I would not have chosen to read this just based on the genre. It is a children's book and my sons are well beyond the age range.

I will not buy and read the whole book because of what I stated above.

The book is well-edited. I noticed no typos or grammatical errors.

This is a book geared toward chidlren ages 6-11 and this comes across in the wriitng. The story is full of adventure with just the right amount of silliness to appeal to the young crowd. I can remember reading books like this when I was of that age.

This book was officially reviewed by OBC.

First Ten review added on October 14, 2016, at 6:09 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

I sampled this with my 8 year old, even though the age is 10 and up, he enjoyed it. I didn't really think much of it, but that could be because it's a younger book. It was comical in parts, but I don't think I'll be buying the full copy and finishing he book, it didn't interest me enough, and my son wasn't interested in finishing it either. I didn't see any errors in the sample I read, and it looks professionally edited. The OBC review was great, but didn't change my mind from not wanting to finish the book!

First Ten review added on October 14, 2016, at 6:46 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 17%

This book earned a score of 17%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 17% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Saint George: Rusty Knight and Monster Tamer in their shelves?

23 members have Saint George: Rusty Knight and Monster Tamer in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Rachaelamb1

4-Star Shelf

mariapaton

Currently Reading Shelf

kaushi242

Currently Reading Shelf

e-tasana-williams

Want To Read Shelf

Peterson4

Want To Read Shelf

derekstvp

Want To Read Shelf