Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.9 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on June 14, 2016, at 8:43 pm by bluemel4.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

In All Things

by Marta Curti

The First Ten

Because In All Things was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book without the program as the subject matter is far too depressing for me. The blurb was good and to the point, but the cover isn't very fetching. I found the sample well written and the style of writing unique. However, reading about the coming death of a mother isn't something I want to read about, inspiring journey as well as it may be. Also, I understood from the official review that the book contains many forms of abuse, which isn't for me. I won't be buying and reading the book due to the above issues.

First Ten review added on September 10, 2016, at 10:06 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Vermont Reviews

One of the sentences that I liked from the preview. "I know what I will say when I walk through heaven's doors and glimpse the shining face of God." I enjoyed the relationship that Emelia and Paul experienced in the preview. I thought that the author Marta Curti did a wonderful job of building the characters of her story and showing her readers the human side of the emotions. Well written and certainly a excellent read. I would love to finish the story, but right now I have too much on my plate.
I do like the cover. I would have read what is inside the book based on the title and cover. Based on reading the preview I would have purchased the book. The thing I liked most about the book was the experience of the character Emelia. The book did seem to be professionally edited.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on September 10, 2016, at 11:45 am by Vermont Reviews.

Kia

Based on the description of this book, I absolutely would have chosen to read it. The idea of having to find someone to raise your child for you is certainly not something any parent wants to experience. Reading the first few pages, I was immediately taken with the main character and her panic when she finds out that there is something not right with her son's heartbeat. I did not find any mistakes within the first few pages. Even though I would love to finish reading this book, I cannot afford it today, even with the generous discount.

First Ten review added on September 10, 2016, at 1:19 pm by Kia.

bookowlie

The Amazon summary blurb is well written and intriguing. However, the sample pages don't appear to be professionally edited as there is a noticeable missing period on the first page of the Prologue. I didn't care for the story from reading the sample pages. It is slow paced with a lot of confusing introspection. Although the Official Review gave me a better sense of the the book's positive points, I was disappointed in the beginning pages. There was nothing in the beginning pages that made me want to read further.

First Ten review added on September 10, 2016, at 1:58 pm by bookowlie.

ashley_claire

Despite the high praise of this book, I was still skeptical about reading the first ten pages. Magical realism isn't really a genre I'm familiar with and I wasn't sure it would be for me. I did enjoy my reading experience and I think this sounds like a unique story that has the potential to be really wonderful. But I just couldn't get past the feeling that it was too overdone for my taste. While the language flows beautifully, my focus kept waning because it felt like a lot of graceful fluff. I do think this is just my own personal taste, though, and I can see a lot of other readers really enjoying this writing style. I won't be continuing the book.

First Ten review added on September 10, 2016, at 2:24 pm by ashley_claire.

hsimone

Even if it wasn't for this program, I would have definitely sampled this read. The cover is beautiful, the title intrigues me, the customer reviews are all positive, and the genre (magical realism) is one that I absolutely enjoy. To be honest, it was the official OBC review that persuaded me to give it a try!

Based on what I read, the book does seem to edited with the exception of two aspects. In the Prologue, there is a period missing at the end of the second paragraph. However, I haven't found another one. Also, some sentences seemed to have continued on longer than needed, making them to be run-ons.

While reading the sample, there is something about the author's writing style that fills my heart with joy. I simply enjoyed reading the first ten pages of In All Things. There were a couple of sentences that were a bit lengthy and therefore my concentration slipped for a couple of seconds. I ended up rereading them once more. This would be the only improvement I can see. Overall, I will be giving this book a try!

First Ten review added on September 10, 2016, at 2:36 pm by hsimone.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

L_Therese

Looking at this book's cover, it didn't give me many clues as to its contents. The plot blurb on Amazon offered more information, but not enough for me to make a judgment on whether or not I might want to finish this book. Reading the first ten pages, the writing was interesting, but not fascinating. It seemed skillfully put together and well edited, but it didn't interest me enough to drag me away from my current literary line-up. I know the reviewer recommended the book, but the review had no bearing on my decision-making process today. I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on September 10, 2016, at 3:08 pm by L_Therese.

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, title, blurb, and customer reviews, I would probably not pick this book up. Although there seems to be a lot of depth with this story, dealing with themes of love and loss and death, which I typically do enjoy, this book sounds like a real tear-jerker. I have to be in the mood to read books of this genre and generally I am not as I do like to read more action-oriented or happy stories. After reading the first ten pages, I am intrigued by the storyline and I actually am a huge fan of the author's writing style. I like how poetic the words are and how they flow together, the writing is very stylistic and full of imagery. Although this sounds like a good book, I am not the right person to read this and therefore will not continue reading it.

First Ten review added on September 10, 2016, at 5:14 pm by CrescentMoon.

easy_dc13

Yes, I think I would give this book a shot because, from what I have read, it looks like it's going to be engaging. It is well-written and I have not seen any typographical errors that might bother readers. The author's appreciation and thoughtfulness for what's going through the mind of the main character in order to craft a seemingly personal and wonderful story, makes me want to check the rest of the book out.

First Ten review added on September 10, 2016, at 5:15 pm by easy_dc13.

Gravy

The cover is very fitting, and very nice. I didn't notice any errors, and it seemed to have been professionally edited.
The storyline is an interesting one, and I wouldn't mind reading this eventually, but it's a little heavy for me at the moment.
I would not have looked at this book without this program.

I love the fact (referenced in the official review) that the reader is never told what the protagonist looks like. It intrigued me when I read the review, and, after reading the sample, I feel that this is an ingenious way to engender a strong connection with the reader.

First Ten review added on September 11, 2016, at 2:07 am by Gravy.

anneloretrujillo

I was not sure if I wanted to read this book at first. The OBC made it sound pretty good, so I probably would have sampled it either way. After reading the first ten pages, I definitely want to finish it. There's just a feeling to it that I really liked. The style and flow were great, and I found myself really sad when the sample was over. I didn't notice any grammar errors.

First Ten review added on September 11, 2016, at 11:44 am by anneloretrujillo.

CataclysmicKnight

This is a really brutal, emotional first ten pages! It's one of those stories where I don't feel hooked in, but the writing is so poetic and exquisite that I keep wanting to read more anyway. Yep, I'll certainly finish it sometime!

First Ten review added on September 11, 2016, at 1:56 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

braver

The book's description was clear and concise, but I probably would not have picked it up on my own. This is the kind of book that I usually need a personal recommendation to read. Stories of "joy and loss, death and beauty" need to strike the right balance, and I typically don't chance it on my own. I thought the writing was as clear and concise as the blurb, but it just didn't grab me. I think that people will enjoy this book, but I don't think it is for me.

First Ten review added on September 11, 2016, at 5:54 pm by braver.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read this book. Although I like the cover, the blurb fell flat for me. After sampling this book, I did not change my mind. Although I thought the writing style was much better in the story and I enjoyed the descriptions especially in the scene where Charlotte died, but in other places the prose seemed overly purple, and there were scenes where I felt like the book was at a standstill. The book does seem professionally edited, and I did enjoy the time skips. I did not read the OnlineBookClub review, but this did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on September 11, 2016, at 6:42 pm by psychopathycathy.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover I would have sampled this book without the first ten. Also the high rating on Amazon, because typically books don't have an almost perfect 5 stars. The description didn't provide much, so After reading the first ten, I am still left a little confused, however I think I got the gist of the book. Something is irregular with Penny's child's heartbeat in her stomach, and that's all I understood. It is elegantly written and free from errors. I think the prologue was confusing, so perhaps a little more from it would have been nice. I didn't see an OBC review but it wouldn't have swayed me either to read or not to read. I won't be purchasing and finishing this book because it doesn't catch my attention enough

First Ten review added on September 11, 2016, at 9:28 pm by Cjgarland89.

Momlovesbooks

The short description of this book wasn't very appealing to me. It seemed like it would be a bit mystical and not what I normally read. I couldn't get past the first few pages. The writing style was unique - very flowing with a poetry feel. However, I won't be reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 11, 2016, at 9:41 pm by Momlovesbooks.

klbradley

The first thing that caught my attention about this book is the cover, which I love! The story starts out with a woman finding out she is expecting a child, but then learning out that her growing son has an issue with his heart. She is then telling some information about her childhood and how she was perceived as too sensitive. I found no errors in the first ten pages.

First Ten review added on September 11, 2016, at 10:12 pm by klbradley.

truebookaddict

I would not have chosen to read this book based on the blurb because the subject matter is too sad. I'm not fond of reading books that I know are going to be sad, especially books about a mother passing away and leaving their chidl behind.

I will not buy or read the whole book because of what I said above. I have a hard time with sad subject matter.

The book is well-edited. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

I did like the beginning of Chapter One when Penny talks about the secret of her son's heart. That was lovely and very descriptively written. I really can suggest no improvement because my reasons for not reading this book are my own.

This book was officially reviewed by Online Book Club.

First Ten review added on September 12, 2016, at 3:17 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 22%

This book earned a score of 22%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 22% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has In All Things in their shelves?

26 members have In All Things in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

bluemel4

4-Star Shelf

Alexandra2016

Want To Read Shelf

Sunspots

Want To Read Shelf

Janetleighgreen

Want To Read Shelf

Maryannwrites-15

Want To Read Shelf

tarafarah7

Want To Read Shelf