Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on June 13, 2016, at 9:28 am by Scott.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

The Banned Book about Love

by Scott Hughes

The First Ten

Because The Banned Book about Love was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

anneloretrujillo

So I feel like I'm cheating on this first ten because I have already read the book. I would have read this based on the new title. Anything banned is always interesting. I actual struggled to open the book when I first saw it with the old title because of what the title was. However, I read the blurb, and I knew that it would be something I would enjoy. After reading the first part of it, I was hooked. This is definitely one of those times where I'm glad I sampled it. You can't judge a book by it's cover. It also seemed to be professionally edited, which is a plus.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 11:18 am by anneloretrujillo.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

Scott,
I believe that your book should still be selling even though it was banned. I though that it was one that I enjoyed reading. I did post a review about my thoughts on Amazon.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 11:21 am by Vermont Reviews.

Sarah_Khan

I find the title of this book very interesting. The story it revolves around was a very popular news story that had everyone talking at one point so I was automatically interested in hearing what the author had to say. After reading a few pages, I think the book is well-written and well-edited and I will probably read the rest of this book because I would like to understand the whole message of the author.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 11:37 am by Sarah_Khan.

gali

I have already read the book and liked it. I like the new cover much better than the old one. I also prefer the new title. The blurb is good though too detailed. The book started well, telling us about Brock Turner. I wasn't familiar with the case before reading this book, so it was a nice introduction to the theme of the book. This well-written book exalts the benefits of love. While I may not agree with everything the author says, I think the author raises some very valid points. The book is short and a fast read. As I said I have read the entire book and certainly recommend it for its message.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 1:28 pm by gali.

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover of the book. I think it is very fitting for the subject matter involved. Based on the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. I do find these kinds of books and the subject matter really disturbing so due to the sensitivity of the topic, I generally wouldn't want to read this book. After reading the first ten pages, I am impressed with the writing. I just don't think it's for me.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 3:24 pm by CrescentMoon.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Rachel1019

This book seems to me like it should be a must-read kind of book. It should be the kind of book that a teacher needs to have their students read. It is stated in the title that this book is about love and that is exactly what it is about. There is no review for this very short book, but there is a note from the author on OBC (which is where you can read/download the book). I appreciate the views that were shared towards this subject and I agreed with everything. I think things like this need to be said more often. That is the reason why instead of reading the first portion of this book, I chose to take a few more minutes and finish it. It is definitely worth reading.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 4:43 pm by Rachel1019.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I probably wouldn't have read it. I like light hearted books. Having sampled the book, I thought it was interesting to read a different perspective. What I liked about the sample was the author's writing style. He puts across his views strongly and confidently. However, I thought the formatting could be improved upon. The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not come across an official Onlinebookclub review. I would have loved to read one, but I don't think the absence of it affected my decision. Having read a part of his perspectice, I'm curious to 'get the complete picture' and hence, I think I will read further.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 5:43 pm by AA1495.

hsimone

Based on the beautiful cover, the captivating title, and the blurb found here on OBC, I would have sampled this book on my own. It seems like the entire book is professionally edited. I really love the message found in this book and thank the author for sharing his thoughts. I really cannot find anything that I would improve here. Even though I already read this book, I plan on giving this a full read again soon!

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 6:14 pm by hsimone.

Gravy

I had already read this prior to today, though I would not have gone looking for it, had I not been involved with the site. I understand the point and believe it's expressed well. I'm not going to say I agree with all of it, but I appreciate the thought behind it.
Because I've already read it I must answer no, because I won't be rereading it.
On a more specific note, I actually dislike the use of religion. For various reasons.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 7:23 pm by Gravy.

Cjgarland89

I had previously read this book as the original copy, and enjoyed it. The lesson is clear and if people actually took the time to read the very short pamphlet I think they could learn something. The Amazon reviews from the ignorant are just that, ignorant and the outrage that came about from the original copy of this book was just crazy. I will share this with whoever I think should read it!

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 8:46 pm by Cjgarland89.

lane_vespertine

As this book is 16 or 17 pages, I went ahead and read it all. I'm a cheater, I know. Except for the two uses of "tl;dr" that I found in it (not sure what they are supposed to mean), it was pretty well edited.
If I hadn't already read it, I definitely wouldn't read it. Hughes semi ironically makes commentary on his over use of platitudes. Only, it isn't ironic. That is all that is here. Well, not entirely, there are also lukewarm appeals to betterment and a lot of defensiveness. I know this isn't the venue to be argumentative, so I'll end it here.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 9:50 pm by lane_vespertine.

Rachaelamb1

The cover and title are great. They make you interested to find out more. I have read the entire book before it got banned, so I'm not sure if I am supposed to comment here. I enjoyed reading it, though. The points made are thought provoking. To me, the message in it is encouraging and insightful. The book is also written and edited well.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 10:03 pm by Rachaelamb1.

Shelle

I read this booklet when it first came out. I understand and appreciate the author's motivation behind writing it and also understand why non-readers were so quick to judge. Like many things, the way this book was presented became bigger than the subject it was talking about. This is unfortunate because the message the author was passionately sharing is so important and does need to be heard. Had a professional marketing team assembled to work on this project, it would have been presented in a more palatable manner and more widely disseminated and more widely discussed.

First Ten review added on October 28, 2016, at 11:20 pm by Shelle.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read it, although the cover is very nice. I have finished reading the book, and I enjoy the casual writing style that creates a sense of intimacy between author and reader. However, I disagree with some of the ideals stated, and although I respect the author for promoting love, I find that a little hard to process and grasp. I did not read an official review, but this did not change my opinion. The book was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 12:45 am by psychopathycathy.

CataclysmicKnight

I was around when this book was initially released and then banned on Amazon, and having it as BOTD just made an excellent reason to read it. When I counted out the first ten pages or so I realized it was over half the book, so I just went ahead and read all of it! It's a very quick read and the message is simple - love is the most important thing of all, and hate is the tl;dr of the world. There were some great points made, and I'll definitely be more thoughtful of retweeting future hateful things!

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 1:21 am by CataclysmicKnight.

L_Therese

I find this cover more appealing than the previous one, and the title is still provocative, though in a different way. In short, if I were making the decision over again to read this book as it appears now versus how it used to appear, I would be more likely to choose it now. If I were evaluating whether I intend to read it for the first time today, the first ten pages would probably not convince me to finish the book. I don't regret the time I spent reading it so many weeks ago, but it wouldn't have been sufficiently enthralling for a 'yes' today.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 1:48 am by L_Therese.

bookowlie

I already purchased and read this book when it was published under its original title. Still, I will give my thoughts on the beginning pages. There is a good, quick explanation of Brock Turner's conviction and sentence, and the public's outrage. The author captured my interest with his shocking statement about loving Brock Turner and I was intrigued to want to know the basis of his statement. I think some of the comparisons are a little overreaching (for example, world hunger, but the crux of the author's opinions made me want to read further. Even if I didn't agree with some of the content, the beginning pages are well-written and thoughtful.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 9:56 am by bookowlie.

ALynnPowers

This book is short enough to read the whole thing before hitting the 10 page mark, but to be honest, had I not already known the author, I probably would not have been interested in reading this, regardless of the title, cover, reviews, etc. Editing was good (though I might have a personal bias in saying that), but I could definitely understand why some people would dislike the book. It's certainly not for everyone (especially those who are not open-minded or willing to accept that hate and love don't necessarily mean the same thing as approval and support) and not what it appears to be on the outside, and my perspective completely changed from reading it.

First Ten review added on October 29, 2016, at 3:42 pm by ALynnPowers.

Genaaa

I probably wouldn't have checked out the book given it not been part of this program. I remember seeing posts about it when it originally got released on Amazon and just never really thought to check it out. The majority of it is obviously opinion oriented, which is totally fine, because everyone has opinions. However, it's nice that the author doesn't necessarily shove their opinion down the readers throat. Considering this is a shorter one, I might eventually get around to reading all of it but as of now, I probably won't.

First Ten review added on October 30, 2016, at 2:35 am by Genaaa.

Total ~ 68%

This book earned a score of 68%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 68% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Banned Book about Love in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The Banned Book about Love in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Scott

4-Star Shelf

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

provner

Currently Reading Shelf

DB44

3-Star Shelf

L_Therese

2-Star Shelf

gali

4-Star Shelf