Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.7 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on June 2, 2016, at 8:42 pm by anneloretrujillo.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Out of the Box Everlasting

by Jennifer Theriot

The First Ten

Because Out of the Box Everlasting was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably would have sampled the book as the plot sounds intriguing. I like the cover and the official review had me further hooked. The book started well, with the flight and the bad news. The book is written in the present tense, which isn't a format I am overall fan of. Also this is the third book in a series. The reviewer said this is a stand-alone, but I prefer to read series in order whenever possible. The book seems well written and since it is free, I downloaded it. I won't read it right now due to the issues I mentioned, but may change my mind later on.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2016, at 10:17 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

I didn't really care for the choppy writing style in the Amazon summary. It also doesn't appear to be professionally edited as the paragraphs in the second half of the blurb are all jumbled together with no line breaks. The cover is eye-catching, but it didn't interest me as the picture makes the book seems like a fluff romance novel. In the sample pages, the writing doesn't flow well. With the main character sticking out her tongue twice in the first two pages and a flat writing style, I found the story written in a teenage style even though this is an adult romance. I was disappointed since I thought I would have liked the writing style more, since the Official Reviewer based the writing. Based on the sample pages, I just couldn't get into the story and am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2016, at 10:43 am by bookowlie.

Vermont Reviews

Wow, the characters Ash Harper and Olivia Peterson arrive home from a nice time in Paris to find that Ash's son has had an accident which throws the family into chaos. The secret about Tommy comes to the surface and things really get tangled. The author Jennifer Theriot has the wonderful storytelling ability to make this a great read. Will all the problems work out? I know that I will find out because I decided to download the book and I will finish it. Great cover for this story. The book looks to have been professionally edited. An exciting read... from the beginning.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on September 16, 2016, at 12:08 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

hsimone

If it wasn't for this program, I am not sure if I would have sampled this read. Sometimes romances can have too many steamy scenes, so I'm really careful in picking one up. However, mainly based on OBC review, it seems there is so much more to this book than steamy scenes. I believe the title and cover is sweet, but the blurb could use a little tightening up. On the other hand, the customer reviews seem very positive.

Based on the bit that I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I love the sweet and playful relationship between Olivia and Ash have. Also, I thought it was clever for the author to jump right into an event that grabs the reader's attention right away. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Olivia's reaction to when the stewardess non-verbally flirted with Ash; I felt it was a bit immature. However, due to easy flow of the author's writing and the positive OBC book review, I do plan on finishing this read.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2016, at 12:13 pm by hsimone.

ashley_claire

This book sounds like something I would enjoy based on the OBC review and the first half of the amazon summary. But then the mention of political problems threw me off guard, as I wasn't expecting that to be part of the book and it's not a genre I enjoy. The main characters seem too immature for my taste and I had a hard time connecting with them. The book is professionally edited and I saw no typos. I won't be reading the rest of this book based on my dislike of the main characters.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2016, at 2:48 pm by ashley_claire.

easy_dc13

I do not usually read romance novels so yes, If I hadn't sampled it then I might not have read it. I've bought the book seeing how meaningful the first couple of pages have been to the characters. No typos and errors so far, thanks to the editor that accompanied the author.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2016, at 3:35 pm by easy_dc13.

braver

I don't like to pick up books in a series without having read the prior installments, and this was no exception. The story drops you into the middle of the characters lives with no reference or understanding of who they are as people. Obviously, that was all built out in the first books, but I was still surprised how there were none of the usual reminders about characters and plot points that often appear in sequels. I found the use of italics to signify both Olivia's thoughts and phone conversations slightly confusing initially, and I think it was a strange choice. I didn't have any real issues with the writing, but I don't have any desire to read this book.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2016, at 3:49 pm by braver.

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, title, blurb, and reviews, I would not pick this book up. This book has a very strong rating on Amazon which I do find impressive. Clearly, the audience and the people this book is meant for enjoyed it a lot so I give a lot of credit to the author. However, after reading the blurb, I know this book is not for me. I like certain romance stories, but this is not it. The genre is really something that I'm not interested in. After reading the first ten pages, I will not read the rest of the book. So far, the book is well written but I personally just am not interested in the books so I will not finish reading it.

First Ten review added on September 16, 2016, at 7:31 pm by CrescentMoon.

L_Therese

At first glance, this book looked like it would be a sweet family/romance novel. Then the plot summary showed that there would be some kind of massive tragedy that would form the basis for the plot. Then I read the review, and it indicated that this is part of a series (and not the first part). The reviewer suggested it could function alone, so I kept an open mind as I read the first ten pages. I was unimpressed. For starters, I didn't feel connected to the characters. It was like entering a room of strangers in the middle of a conversation. I don't know anyone's frame of reference, so it's hard to join in. As these beginning pages moved along, I felt more like a distant spectator to the action. The characters weren't emoting in a way that made sense, and their interactions felt stilted. I'm not planning to continue this book.

First Ten review added on September 17, 2016, at 12:52 am by L_Therese.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I may have read it anyways, although it is the third in the series and I would have preferred to read the first two for context. I also think that the cover for this book is very well designed. After reading the sample, I have decided not to buy the book and read it. Although I liked the writing style, I felt like everything jumped into drama and action right away, without any sort of rising action, and the situation became a little messy and confusing, especially for someone who had not read the prequels. The book does seem like it was professionally edited, and although I did not see an Official OnlineBookClub review, this did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on September 17, 2016, at 1:22 am by psychopathycathy.

Gravy

After reading in the OBC review that this could be read as a standalone, I was unhappy to find several instances where I was left not knowing something. I was always able to figure out what was going on, but a few sentences, added in the correct way, could have prevented that.
I found a few errors, but nothing I would consider a problem. I didn't like the characters and found several aspects of them to be unlikable. I also believe the parts in the hospital were inaccurate, which put me off.

No doubt romance fans would be happy to read this, but due to the previously stated reasons, I won't be continuing with this.

First Ten review added on September 17, 2016, at 6:46 pm by Gravy.

Cjgarland89

Due to this being a romance book I would have avoided sampling without the first ten program. I don't like romance books, and although the OBC review made this seem like a worthy read, the first ten didn't have me convinced and I won't be finishing this book. I don't like reading books of a series out of order, I don't like beginning a book and feel like I've missed a significant part of characters lives. The writing style doesn't flow too well, but I didn't see any spelling or grammar issues.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 1:20 am by Cjgarland89.

klbradley

From just the first ten pages, I feel like I am already hooked in to this story. The dramatics start off right off the bat, and the intensity shown in the characters is already obvious.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 5:45 am by klbradley.

truebookaddict

I would not have chosen to read this book based on the genre. I do not read romance novels.

The book was generously offered for free, and yes, I will eventually read the whole book. After reading the OBC review, and then reading the first ten pages, I was persuaded that this book could be a lot more than just romance.

The editing of this book is good. I did not see any typos or grammatical errors.

I liked the conversational tone of the book. Also, the first ten pages, with their early revelations, really kept my interest. I cannot suggest improvements for True Book Addict.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 5:55 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 36%

This book earned a score of 36%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 36% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Out of the Box Everlasting in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Out of the Box Everlasting in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

anneloretrujillo

3-Star Shelf

Vermont Reviews

Want To Read Shelf

Maryannwrites-15

Want To Read Shelf

ellie_calvin

Want To Read Shelf

Sunspots

Currently Reading Shelf

Janetleighgreen

Want To Read Shelf