Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 4.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on May 31, 2016, at 2:11 pm by L_Therese.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Walking to Woot A Photographic Narrative Discovering New Dimensions for Parent-Teen Bonding

by Jackie Chase

The First Ten

Because Walking to Woot A Photographic Narrative Discovering New Dimensions for Parent-Teen Bonding was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

Based on the blurb I wouldn't have sampled this book as this isn't my preferred genre. The cover is very fetching I have to say. The pictures inside the book are awesome too! The book started well enough introducing the two heroines and describing their plight (they were caught up in the middle of war games between two groups of local tribe).

Although the book is well-written, the editing seemed to be lacking. Some of the sentences on location 240 were so mixed up that they didn’t make sense. I had to read the first part of the sentence and skip down to another sentence to finish it. For example: "I knew they fought battles trespassed on a sacred burial ground". The sentence should be: "I knew they fought battles mainly over women, food and land". There are other mixed-up sentences on this page. It seems like a great memorial, but it didn't grab me enough to want to finish it.

First Ten review added on July 14, 2016, at 11:21 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

hsimone

The cover does seem powerful, while the title is a bit confusing. I do enjoy a good memoir and the few reviews that are present are positive. However, had I not sampled the first ten pages of as part of this program, I might not have chosen to. At this point, I do not believe I will be reading the whole book. Even though the concept seems interesting, I do not feel compelled enough to continue. Also, I believe the photographs included within this book would not show up well in my Kindle and therefore would lose some of meaningfulness.

Based on what I read the book does seem to be edited well, with the exception of using the word, 'realty' rather than 'reality' within the Introduction to the book. I liked the concept of this book, where a mother and daughter take such an unforgettable journey together. For an improvement, I would like to know what is 'Woot'. I'm not familiar with New Guinea, and since the title does confuse, I think a short explanation towards the beginning would be good.

First Ten review added on July 14, 2016, at 11:42 am by hsimone.

bookowlie

Although the cover caught my attention, the subtitle of the book is overly formal and textbook-style. The Amazon summary blurb is a bit long-winded and boring. I liked the inclusion of photos in the beginning pages and the information about the New Guinea culture is interesting. The author’s writing style is somewhat flat with an oddly distant feel, as if she were discussing a trip that someone else had gone on. Based on the sample pages, I am not really interested in reading further due to the long-winded writing style.

First Ten review added on July 14, 2016, at 11:51 am by bookowlie.

Rachaelamb1

I find the cover and description of the book interesting, although I think the subtitle is wordy. This is a type of book that I would normally read. I am happy to report that the beginning of the book does not disappoint and I am interested to find out more about the experiences this mom and daughter shared. Their journey sounds like it is incredible, exciting, and inspiring. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book. It seems well written and professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 14, 2016, at 11:56 am by Rachaelamb1.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Momlovesbooks

When I saw the title of this book, I was confused. I wasn't sure if it was a self-help book for parents with teenagers, or a comedic view of parenthood. I didn't think I would make it through the first ten pages. However, the saying is true - "never judge a book by its cover". Jackie and her daughter, Katherine, are likeable and down-to-earth people. The author tells their adventure with humor, details and knowledge. This is one of the most entertaining non-fiction books I have sampled in a while. I'll be purchasing this book today.

First Ten review added on July 14, 2016, at 8:24 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Vermont Reviews

First of all I must say how impressed I was with the quality of the story. The descriptions of the journey and adventure are first class. We often take for granted our lives here in the United States. After reading Walking to Woot the first ten pages. I would like to read the remainder of the book. Jackie Chase has done a great job of showing her readers the adventure that she and her daughter went on. Well written and a joy to read. It also appears to have been professionally edited. Excellent and exciting.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on July 14, 2016, at 11:02 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Judyk

I would not have considered reading this book based on its genre, cover or blurb, it is simply not something that would have interested me. After reading the first ten pages I didn't fall in love with it enough to finish reading. At location 150 I found the following confusing mess ( I knew they fought battles trespassed on a sacred burial ground. My trembling fingers, damp with mainly over women, food, and land. Maybe we had sweat, untangled) so editing isn't really as professional as I would hope for.

First Ten review added on July 14, 2016, at 11:16 pm by Judyk.

Gravy

This book isn't something I would likely have sampled, and the sample itself started out rather rough (there's a place early on in the sample where some sentences have gotten mixed up - I've encountered this a few times before, and can typically sort it out, annoying but not unreadable - I finally had to just give up on trying to interpret this one).
It also seemed to switch trains of thought without any warning, which left me staring at the page, wondering what had happened.

I don't think I'll be reading this book, but that being said, I can see the worth of the story, and the quality seemed to get better as the sample went on.

First Ten review added on July 14, 2016, at 11:34 pm by Gravy.

CataclysmicKnight

I was at least somewhat intrigued by the combination of an overseas photographic adventure and parent/teen bonding originally. While the first chapter was rather crazy with the action, the I had major trouble connecting with the second chapter. I felt like I still hadn't connected with either of the main people and was a bit lost with what led them to that particular place. Because of that, I'm reluctant to read further and don't see myself finishing it.

First Ten review added on July 15, 2016, at 12:00 am by CataclysmicKnight.

truebookaddict

I actually bought the book because it was offered at a great price and I liked the sound of what it was about. So yes, I chose to read this without reading the sample first.

Yes, I will read the whole book. I like the idea of parents and teenagers finding ways to bond and the way they do it in this book is unique.

I found some weird wording in the first ten pages. I'll have to list by Kindle book location. It's like the paragraph is garbled...like two separate sentences got swapped. I don't know how else to explain. Loc 154 I noticed no other typos or grammatical errors.

I like how it got off to an exciting start. I can just imagine how scary that must have been, to be caught up in the Dani fighting, even if it was just a mock battle. I could not see any need for improvement.

First Ten review added on July 16, 2016, at 3:08 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 40%

This book earned a score of 40%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 40% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Walking to Woot A Photographic Narrative Discovering New Dimensions for Parent-Teen Bonding in their shelves?

6 members have Walking to Woot A Photographic Narrative Discovering New Dimensions for Parent-Teen Bonding in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

L_Therese

4-Star Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

crazilydramatic

Want To Read Shelf

Rachaelamb1

Want To Read Shelf

derekstvp

4-Star Shelf

Patty Korrery

Currently Reading Shelf