Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.1 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on May 17, 2016, at 3:33 pm by bluemel4.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Nightlord: Sunset

by Garon Whited

The First Ten

Because Nightlord: Sunset was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

L_Therese

I have to admit, I was skeptical about this book. Many vampire/dragon-type novels end up as variations on the same story, so I read them only rarely. Having read only the first ten pages of this book, I can't speak to its originality overall yet. What I do know is that the tone of writing is uniquely smooth and simultaneously amusing and engrossing. The first person point of view allows the reader to get into the protagonist's head and feel his confusion along with him. The characters so far are so likable that, despite my stated (mild) aversion to vampire novels, I do want to keep reading.

First Ten review added on July 9, 2016, at 9:29 am by L_Therese.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

The Amazon summary blurb captured my interest, particularly the first paragraph. Even though I am not a fan of books about vampires, I really enjoyed reading the sample pages and am interested enough to read further. The author has an excellent, conversational writing style with a subtle wit. The beginning appears to be professionally edited and flows well. The cover artwork and font used for the title is attractive and eye-catching. I will likely not get the book because it is not my preferred genre, coupled with the fact that it's almost 700 pages. However, it looks like something vampire/fantasy fans would love.

First Ten review added on July 9, 2016, at 10:20 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Rachaelamb1

This is not a book I would normally read although the cover looks cool. Reading the sample didn't interest me to read more of the book. It is too dark for my taste. The author's style of writing is enjoyable to read though and the book appears to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 9, 2016, at 11:58 am by Rachaelamb1.

gali

The blurb and title didn't grab me at first nor did its cover. The length was another factor which made me hesitate about picking up this book. In fact till I read the review I thought it was just another run-of-the-mill vampire story. The review changed my mind and caused me to reconsider. Upon reading the sample I found it well-written and was intrigued by it. The beginning pages were a bit slow, but I liked what I read. I have grown tired reading about vampires, but this seems like a good and original story. I believe I will read it at some point when I am in the right mood for a good vampire story.

First Ten review added on July 9, 2016, at 1:53 pm by gali.

Vermont Reviews

I must say that I really enjoyed reading the 10 plus pages of this book. Well written, and professionally edited. No errors or grammar problems. The story is excellent. The style is great. I would highly recommend this book as a great read. I liked the characters best of all. Eric and Shasha and Eric's friend Travis. I would enjoy reading the balance of this book. I love vampire books and this one rates a 5 star plus review.

First Ten review added on July 9, 2016, at 2:32 pm by Vermont Reviews.

hsimone

Seeing as how I read the OnlineBookClub review to this book prior to reading the sample today, I would have absolutely sampled the book! The cover, title, genre, blurb, and all of the review have all made me want to read this book. Therefore, I will!

Within the pages I read, the book seems to be professionally edited. My favorite of the bit I read is how the author adds some mystery, grabbing the reader's attention. The protagonist cannot remember what happened the previous night, but the reader can tell it's something worth sticking around to read more. At this point in the book, I cannot find any area of improvement. Excited to read this one!

First Ten review added on July 9, 2016, at 6:11 pm by hsimone.

Gravy

The cover is absolutely beautiful and had me interested from the start. After reading the sample I've added it to my to read list. It has so much of what I look for, and I actually wanted the sample to be longer. If I had a physical copy right now, I'd probably be reading it. The style actually reminds me of some of my favorite authors, and I always enjoy a fresh take on vampires. I have to say, I'm really interested in this story.

First Ten review added on July 9, 2016, at 10:05 pm by Gravy.

CataclysmicKnight

I must say, I was completely surprised by the first ten pages of this book. It's a great lead-up, and it's written incredibly well, balanced between humor and intrigue, but I still have no idea what's to come! I'm definitely hooked.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2016, at 1:25 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Momlovesbooks

The cover of this book is intriguing, but the title didn't provide me with much information. However, after reading the description of this book and finding out it was vampire based, I hoped it was along the lines of "Twilight". The POV was from the main character and had me hooked at the beginning. The questions and intrigue began instantly and I knew I had to continue reading to find the answers. The writing style is rich and descriptive with strong characters. I will definitely continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2016, at 12:26 pm by Momlovesbooks.

P_hernandez

This book has words that flow nicely and seems to have good editing. It doesn't, however, progress in the story. I was one chapter in and no defined story developed or made me think that I should read any further. Based on the cover I would pick this title up to see what is about.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2016, at 1:04 pm by P_hernandez.

truebookaddict

I knew I wanted to get this book, and read it, as soon as I read the blurb, and then the rave reviews.

Yes, I will read the whole book. I like a good vampire book and this one has an intriguing concept.

The editing was very good. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

I really enjoyed the writing. Very descriptive and well-written. Also, the mystery of what happened and why he ended up where he did after the night of drunkenness. There is much more to learn and I can't wait to find out. I cannot think of anything needing improvement.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2016, at 10:13 pm by truebookaddict.

Judyk

From the first 10 pages Nightlord seems to be a professionally edited well written book with no obvious errors. Based on the cover, title, blurb etc. I likely would have read a sample of the book and after reading the sample I am planning to finish the book because I have enjoyed it. The story draws you in with snips of information without going into so much detail all at once that it gets boring. I can't wait to finish it.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2016, at 10:55 pm by Judyk.

Sarah_Khan

Personally, I wouldn't have picked up this book if it was not part of the program because I have read a lot of vampire books and they all end up being the same. That said, I was pleasantly surprised while reading the first 10 pages. The book is well written and the main character is very likable and relatable. The cover of the book is also interesting. After reading the blurbs of this book on amazon I'm still not sure if the plot is original enough for me to commit to reading the whole book.

First Ten review added on October 2, 2016, at 10:59 am by Sarah_Khan.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have picked it up. The cover and title make it seem like the book deals with dark themes - something I don't prefer. Having sampled the book, I found it intriguing. I liked how the author introduces the characters and builds the relationship between them before the plot moves forward. That's what I liked best about it. What I didn't like was the pace at which the plot was moving. The book seems to be professionally edited and has a favorable onlinebookclub review. However, I'm still skeptical about the general theme of the book. Hence, I don't think I'll purchase the book.

First Ten review added on October 2, 2016, at 11:35 am by AA1495.

easy_dc13

I don't usually read Fantasy books so I wouldn't have been too excited in checking this out when I saw it on my feed. Once I've started reading the sample though, I will say that I found it pretty interesting and it didn't felt like a chore to read even though the whole character-turns-into-supernatural-creature plot is not really uncommon nowadays. I'm not sure if that feeling will be sustained throughout the rest of the book since I won't be picking this up right away. No need for concern as far as errors go.

First Ten review added on October 2, 2016, at 3:14 pm by easy_dc13.

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, blurb, title, and customer reviews, I would definitely pick this book up. I am a huge fan of science fiction, adventure, fantasy, and magic and this book seems to encompass all those genres. The cover is very dark and intriguing and the customer reviews on Amazon rate the book highly so the fact the audience clearly loves the book is a huge plus. After reading the first ten pages, I will continue reading the rest. I already really like the main character, Eric, and I think the writing is awesome. The writing is simple and direct but I love the sense of humor thrown in, it really adds to the book.

First Ten review added on October 2, 2016, at 3:16 pm by CrescentMoon.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book if it weren't for this program. I read the OBC book review, and I didn't think I would enjoy a vampire book. After reading the first ten pages, I have changed my mind. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the sample of this book! The description was great. I also really liked that it was written as a diary. My only problem is that even though it is supposed to be written as a diary, it doesn't really sound like a diary. Despite that, I will be finishing this book. It also seemed like it was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on October 2, 2016, at 4:59 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Thimble

I found the cover, title, and blurb to be interesting. However, after reading the reviews (including the Official OnlineBookClub review), it looks like the blurb isn’t accurate for most of the book, genre-wise. I think I would have looked at the book anyway, because what the reviews said still sounded good. After reading the first ten pages, I think I will finish reading it (I already purchased it at the discounted BotD price). I like the sense of humor in the narration and the two characters we’ve met so far, Eric and Sasha, are interesting. It appears to be professionally edited. I can’t think of anything I would improve. My favorite part so far is the interaction between the two characters. It’s really entertaining.

First Ten review added on October 2, 2016, at 10:57 pm by Thimble.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would have read it; the blurb seems interesting, and reviews are relatively high. After reading the sample, I would still love to read it. The writing was crisp and clear, and I enjoyed the "diary" style. I loved the disclaimer as well, for it really set up the mood of the story. The book seems professionally edited, and I did not read an OnlineBookClub review but my decision was not affected.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 1:52 am by psychopathycathy.

klbradley

Based upon the first ten pages and the synopsis of this book, I do not feel as though it is something I would usually read on my own choosing. However, because this one is going to be a book of the month, I feel the need to check it out. I typically enjoy the books that are the book of the month, so this one might be a hit for me.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 8:20 am by klbradley.

Kia

Based on the description of this book, I would not have chosen to read it. The summary makes it seem very much like it would be a children's book. The first ten pages made it very clear that this is not a children's book. I found no mistakes, and the diary style of the writing makes it interesting to read. I will continue to read this novel.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 4:28 pm by Kia.

Cjgarland89

Had I not been in the program, I wouldn't have sampled this book. The cover makes it look uninteresting and the title is a little confusing. However after reading the first ten, I checked the review and it seems that there is more question than anything in the first ten, and I feel if I don't continue reading and finish the book, I will be missing out! As for the first ten there weren't any errors in grammar or spelling and the descriptions were great. What I liked most was the way Sasha seemed to be taunting Eric through the first 7 pages and he was so confused about what was happening. Based on everything I will be finishing this book after all.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 6:07 pm by Cjgarland89.

VinuW

The book had a high rating on Amazon, and the reviews promised an enjoyable read. The cover was captivating, and promised a plot full of adventure. The title was enigmatic, and suggested that the book was of the paranormal genre, so I would've definitely given this book a try. I was not disappointed. The plot was interesting; but what I liked the most about the book was the amusing narrative voice. I didn't come across grammatical errors. I read the Amazon reviews again, and it was obvious that most readers enjoyed reading the book as much as I did.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2016, at 3:34 am by VinuW.

Rachel1019

If you have not read the review of this book on OBC or Amazon, then immediately go and read it and if you are anything like me, you will immediately want to buy this book. The narrative of the novel so far is first person, which is my favorite point of view. It means that the reader only learns about things when the character learns about them. It gives a good level of intrigue. I will definitely be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on November 21, 2016, at 2:39 pm by Rachel1019.

chocomeiske

I've already read this book when it was BOTD in October. This is something I would normally pick up because of the cover and the description which promises a dark fantastical read and a different twist of vampires.
I didn't come across any editing issures within the first 10 pages of this book. I love that the vampire to turn the main character, Eric, was a woman. I can't say I've come across that many times before so I thought that was cool.

First Ten review added on November 21, 2016, at 3:48 pm by chocomeiske.

MarisaRose

If I had not sampled the first ten pages of Nightlord Sunset, I would not have chosen to read or sample this book. Although the cover is pretty, the description of the book on Amazon, is good, but doesn't seem like the book is all that different from others in the genre. However, the many good reviews would tempt me a little more towards at least sampling the book. After reading the first ten pages, I am going to continue reading this book - although not a free book for BOTD, I did download Nightlord Sunset and plan to add it to my list of books to read. The writing as well as the suspense created in the first ten pages really piqued my interest. The beginning was easy to read and made me want to know more about what was going on with our main character - who upon waking up with a killer hangover, tries to figure out where he is and who this beautiful woman is that serves him breakfast in bed. I did not think anything need be improved in the first ten pages - they were thrilling. There is an Official OnlineBookClub review and I did read it. The review was very positive, but I was still on the fence about sampling Nightlord Sunset at first because I was worried it would be too similar to other books I have read.

First Ten review added on November 21, 2016, at 5:52 pm by MarisaRose.

Shelle

I didn't really know what to expect with this books and was glad to have the opportunity to sample it. I liked the bit of mystery at the beginning, but then it seemed like another been there, done that Vampire Book. No thanks. I liked the writing style well enough, but the thought of yet another vampire-with-a-twist was just too much for me. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on November 21, 2016, at 6:15 pm by Shelle.

Kdonegan91

Even though the cover of the book is beautiful and intriguing, I will not be purchasing this book. The sci-fi/fantasy genre is just not something I enjoy reading. After sampling your book, my mind was not changed. The onlinebookclub.org review was well-written and insightful but did not change my mind either.

First Ten review added on November 21, 2016, at 9:53 pm by Kdonegan91.

amybo82

The book's description on the Amazon page was confusing to me. The reviews were overwhelmingly positive, so I turned to the Online Book Club review for background, summary, and a reliable review. This is not a book that would typically grab my attention. After reading the first ten pages, I can confirm that this is not a book I would purchase and read. While it is well written, I just don't have an interest in more vampire novels. The book appears to be professionally edited. The part I read went quickly and was easy to read. However, I did not find the main character to be likable or relatable.

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 7:57 am by amybo82.

jungkookblog

I dont think I would've read it based on the cover, title etc. because it doesn't seem like my type of book. I don't think I am going to buy the whole book because the story and plot doesn't go with the flow. It didn't change me from the original guess. It seems like it was professionally edited. I love all the details in the book, and I think everything is awesome in the book! I did not see a review, and that has affected my decision.

First Ten review added on November 23, 2016, at 3:28 am by jungkookblog.

Total ~ 63%

This book earned a score of 63%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 63% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Nightlord: Sunset in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Nightlord: Sunset in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Scott

4-Star Shelf

Lovelace

3-Star Shelf

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

bmood_us

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

TrishaAnn92

Want To Read Shelf