OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on May 5, 2016, at 9:21 pm by Leigh M Lane.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9780615626611

Finding Poe

by Leigh M. Lane

The First Ten

Because Finding Poe was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably would have sampled this book as I love ghost stories. Ghost story and homage to Poe sound like the perfect combination. I love the cover and the blurb sure piqued my interest. I love Poe's works, so was curios about this book. However, after reading the sample I decided not to read the book. I didn't see any official review, but it didn't affect my opinion either way. I didn't connect to the language at all, and found the construction of the sentences weird. There were several run-on sentences which disrupt the flow of the reading. As good as the plot sounds, I won't be finishing the book due to the writing.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 10:12 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

hsimone

Based on the spooky cover and blurb, I would not have picked this book on my own. The title is interesting and the reviews look fairly positive, however scary ghost stories are not usual my type of read. I do wish there was an OBC review to give a better idea of what this book entails.

The bit that I read demonstrates this book is professionally edited. I felt the first or so was very gripping, and made me want more of the story. However, once the narrator of the story begins to describe her background, it becomes a little dry. After sampling, I have decided not to continue this read. For one, because the sample did not keep my interest. For another, if the story does develop into more of a horror, this would not be my genre of choice.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 1:18 pm by hsimone.

Vermont Reviews

After reading the preview I did decide to download the balance of the book. Poe is one of my personal favorites. The story Finding Poe by Leigh M. Lance brings back some of my favorites that I have read over the years. I do like the cover art. The characters of Brantley and Lady Karina show the reader some of the same tricks that poe used in his story that will entertain your reading imagination. The thrill of adventure is built in the secretive actions of Brantley as to why he would want to move to New England and purchase a lighthouse to live in. Lady Karina's dreams and her reality as well brings to the story the technique of excitement as well. This story appears to have been professionally edited. I do like the writing style of the author. I look forward to finding out what the balance of the story has to offer.

Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 2:18 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, title, blurb, and reviews, I would not pick this book up. I generally don't read ghost stories or books of this genre so I wouldn't pick it up. After reading the first ten pages, I still would not read it. The book does seem well-written and adventurous, but it's not my cup of tea. Therefore, I will not finish reading it.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 4:15 pm by CrescentMoon.

anneloretrujillo

I probably wouldn't have read this book based on the blurb. I'm not really a big fan of Edgar Allan Poe. I also noticed that there wasn't an OBC review. After reading the first ten pages, I've decided that I'm not going to continue reading it. I didn't really like that the plot hadn't really seemed to move yet. I loved the description, but it seemed to be slow-moving. I also think it is a little too dark for me. The book seems to be professionally edited and has a good style; it just isn't my type of book.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 5:01 pm by anneloretrujillo.

ashley_claire

Before even reading the first word, the cover sets the tone for this horror novel. I didn't even notice the face until I looked at it for the second time and it sufficiently creeped me out. I was hesitant about reading this because I don't know a lot about Poe, but so far so good and I seem to be following the story just fine. The book is well-written and has an intriguing premise that I would love to read more about. It's a different kind of suspense/horror than I'm used to reading, but reading the first ten pages left me wanting more. The fact that this is a shorter book is a plus for me and I will definitely be reading the rest.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 5:40 pm by ashley_claire.

bookowlie

The cover of this book is an attention grabber and gives off a foggy air of mystery. I found the Amazon summary well-written and intriguing. However, I was turned off by the mention of a haunted lighthouse since I get creeped out by haunted houses in books. In the sample pages, the author has a nice, sophisticated writing style and there is good use of imagery to describe the lighthouse. That being said, the storyline is a little confusing to follow. Based on the beginning pages and the mention of a haunted lighthouse in the summary blurb, I am not interested in reading this book. Still, readers who like this type of subject matter might like it.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 5:42 pm by bookowlie.

easy_dc13

I wouldn't have read the book just because Horror is not my thing, even if I saw the positive reviews. The sample was okay but could've used a bit more clarity in the way it was presented. I did not find any typos and errors. Still, I will not be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 8:32 pm by easy_dc13.

AA1495

If I had not read the sample, I probably wouldn't have chosen to read the book. While the title is intriguing, the cover makes it obvious that the book has a dark theme. I prefer books that will make me feel good, and thus, I wouldn't pick this up. Having read the sample, I would have to say that the book is interesting and is very well written. I loved the nightmare scene. Given the theme and genre of the book, I thought the events were reality. The twist was nice and kept me engaged in the story. It seems like the book was professionally edited and is easy to follow. I, however, will still not buy the book. It is not a genre I prefer and even after reading the sample, I was not curious enough to make an exception. Further, I felt like I couldn't connect to the protagonists, possibly because their characters (and the relationship between the characters) were not elaborately described in the sample. This could possibly be improved upon. I did not come across an official OnlineBookClub review. However, I don't think this affected my decision. My decision was based solely on the sample and my own preferences.

First Ten review added on September 18, 2016, at 10:11 pm by AA1495.

L_Therese

I was not especially attracted to this novel by the cover. I'm not a huge fan of ghost stories, so I was not enthusiastic as I read the first ten pages. On the first pages, I found a misspelled word ("precession") that led me to question the quality of its editing. The beginning was very creepy, and then it bridged into what was presumably the set up for the rest of the novel. For me, neither was fascinating. I'm going to pass on this book.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 12:22 am by L_Therese.

CataclysmicKnight

This one sure showed off some skill with crazy horror and an intriguing plot. The first book I ever purchased for myself was an Edgar Allan Poe collection, so I was especially interested in this from the title alone. The links to the back with different Poe references were really cool too; blending an original story with references of his works was a genius idea executed well. While horror usually freaks me out pretty easily, I'm hooked on this one and want to read more!

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 12:51 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Gravy

I enjoyed the sample, and would even continue the book. I cannot say when this would happen as I only read paper books, but I am interested. The cover, I think, could be improved, but that's very minor. It's still a nice cover, and I love the idea behind it.
I didn't notice any errors, and like the dark and macabre style. It did not have an OBC review, but that didn't play into my opinion. If anything, it makes me look forward to reading a possible future review.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 1:31 am by Gravy.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read it; although I like the cover, many reviews said that the ending was disappointing, which was a little offputting for me. In addition, horror has never been one of my main genres. After sampling this book, I would like to read this book as I thought that the writing style was very engaging, and the premise did grow on me. The book does seem professionally edited. Although I did not read an official OnlineBookClub review, my opinion was not altered.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 3:59 am by psychopathycathy.

braver

Horror is definitely NOT my preferred genre, so this is not a book I would normally look at. The description was actually fairly intriguing, but as I started reading, I found I did not enjoy the writing style. Something about the tone was off-putting to me. It was almost as if the author was trying to force me to feel sorry for Karina immediately, before I got to know anything about any of the characters. I also find the story of leaving everything to live in a lighthouse across the ocean just a bit too unbelievable. I do not plan on reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 1:50 pm by braver.

Kia

Based on the information available for this book I would not have chosen to read it. The description and cover of the novel make it seem like it will be a very dark story, and I am usually not a huge fan of those. However, the first few pages did capture my attention. Why move to a lighthouse? I also found them to be free from mistakes. However due to the supposed dark nature of the book I will not continue to read it.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 4:11 pm by Kia.

Shelle

The cover art of this book is quite striking and would easily grab anyone's attention. I was glad to be able to sample this book even though it's not one I would normally select. I liked the writing style and the characters and think this is likely an interesting story. Although I'm not going to purchase it today, I will keep it on my list for a possible read near Halloween when I tend to read scary and mystery books. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 6:15 pm by Shelle.

klbradley

As a fan of anything relating to Poe, I feel as though this could be something I may really enjoy. The editing in the first ten pages seems well done.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 9:45 pm by klbradley.

truebookaddict

As soon as I saw Poe in the title, I knew I would want to read this. I'm a huge Poe fan so any book related or about him, or even referencing him, I'm there.

Yes, I bought the book and will read it eventually...probably next month for scary reading month. Just reading the first ten pages, I was getting the Poe atmosphere in her writing. Any Poe fan will recognize that and want to keep reading.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

As I said above, it has a very Poe-esque atmosphere. The descriptions alone depicted Gothic scenes...a lonely, rundown lighthouse, the protagonist's apprehension and inability to sleep. Frankly, I can't wait to read more. No improvements to suggest.

The book was not reviewed by OBC. The lack of such a review did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2016, at 5:58 am by truebookaddict.

Momlovesbooks

The cover and description was mysterious and intriguing. However, I'm not a fan of dark novels. I appreciate Poe for his talent and literary style, but am not a great fan. I didn't think this book would interest me. I read the first few pages and agreed with my initial impression. Although the writing style was poetic and began in a "Poe" style, I won't continue reading because of the genre.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2016, at 6:38 am by Momlovesbooks.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover and title I would have chosen to sample this book because I love Poe and ghostly stories are a favorite of mine. After reading the first ten I won't be buying the full book because it isn't written well, and from the first ten it just seemed very rushed writing and it was difficult to read through. I didn't notice any spelling or grammar mistakes, but the style of writing just didn't flow well. There wasn't an OBC review but if there had been I would have read it and perhaps had a better idea of the overall story line of the book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2016, at 6:42 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 30%

This book earned a score of 30%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 30% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Finding Poe in their shelves?

12 members have Finding Poe in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

SparklingOne

Want To Read Shelf

Maryannwrites-15

Want To Read Shelf

Julie4453

Want To Read Shelf

Vermont Reviews

Want To Read Shelf

ellie_calvin

Want To Read Shelf

Janetleighgreen

Want To Read Shelf