Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 2.6 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on May 4, 2016, at 12:42 am by jhollan2.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

The First Five Days: of the Lionean Saga

by John O., Archie A.

The First Ten

Because The First Five Days was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably would have sampled the book without the program as I love epic fantasy. I love the cover and the blurb piqued my interest. The preface was a bit dry, but the first chapter was more to my taste, with the naming of Yosi as a successor to the throne and the duel between him and Marc. I enjoyed the sample and find the concept of the book interesting. Actually, I got the book a while ago. Although the official review isn't very favorable, I will give it a try.

First Ten review added on December 17, 2016, at 10:05 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

The summary blurb appears to be professionally edited. Unfortunately, the book seems a bit long for my taste and I don't usually care for Dark Fantasy novels. The cover artwork is attractive, but it's not too eye-catching since the colors are so dark. I like that charts and maps are included as a helpful resource. The writing is a bit long-winded and overly detailed, although the author does a good job of introducing the story. Still, I was unable to become absorbed in the plot and am not too interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on December 17, 2016, at 11:14 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I liked the title and the cover art seemed exciting. The blurb really made me want to start reading the sample. After reading the first ten pages, I was pleasantly surprised, this book is well-written and professionally edited. I liked the author's note in the very beginning, it made it seem like reading the book would be an adventure. The only reason I will not be buying this book today is because I already have too much on my plate.

First Ten review added on December 17, 2016, at 12:20 pm by Sarah_Khan.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I generally read romance books. However, I thought that the plot was interesting. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I found the system that Hinary created interesting. However, I didn't like the pace at which the plot was moving in the sample and I would have liked to know the characters better. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While the book seems to have an interesting plot, I usually read stories that end with the book. Since this book is part of a series, I do not think I will read it further.

First Ten review added on December 17, 2016, at 4:05 pm by AA1495.

MarisaRose

As soon as I saw "The First Five Days" likened to the Game of Thrones novels I was intrigued. I was also interested in the fact that the book only spans five days. Prior to sampling his book I would have strongly considered reading it. After sampling the first ten pages, I am hooked to say the least. From the preface, I thought this book seemed different from other fantasies. I was intrigued by the idea that Hinary's sons each rule for six years in a repeating cycle. I was also excited to read that there would be some murder type investigation going on in the novel. Overall, the book appears to be well written and professionally edited. I have already purchased the book and read far more than the first ten pages!

First Ten review added on December 17, 2016, at 5:23 pm by MarisaRose.

chocomeiske

With such an attractive cover and obviously of the fantasy genre, I would have given this book a second look.
The sample was interesting to say the least. I'm not so sure I like the writing style though, almost reads like a history book but I suspect that this is a slow burner.
I liked the layout of the book and I can't recall any glaring editing issues.

First Ten review added on December 17, 2016, at 6:51 pm by chocomeiske.

CrescentMoon

I think the cover and title are perfect for what the book is about. Based on the blurb, I think I would pick this up. I am a huge fan of fantasy and the fact this books also has politics in it I would definitely be interested in reading it. I think it is fascinating to see how political mind games work. I read a book similar to that in The Bulls of War and that was an enjoyable read. However, after reading the first ten pages, and the onlinebookclub review, I don't think I will continue to read this. There seems to be a lot of female abuse and I have a hard time reading those kinds of books.

First Ten review added on December 17, 2016, at 10:10 pm by CrescentMoon.

Kdonegan91

The first thing that caught my eye was the title. The cover informs the reader that the book is probably written in the fantasy genre. I am not a fan of this particular genre and the OBC review and the sample did not change my mind. I thought the sample became boring and difficult to enjoy.

First Ten review added on December 17, 2016, at 11:46 pm by Kdonegan91.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the title, cover, genre, or OBC review. I am not into fantasy books, and the review mentioned a few aspects that I have a hard time reading about.. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. I was not interested in the content as I was reading. I just couldn't get into it. I also noticed quite a few punctuation errors and one place where a word was missing as I was reading.

First Ten review added on December 18, 2016, at 12:23 am by anneloretrujillo.

L_Therese

I love a good epic fantasy when I have time to enjoy it, and the premise of this one seemed fairly interesting. The review had a good deal of praise but also expressed some reservations about both some of the characterizations and some of the plot development tools. In light of the criticism, I needed to be very intrigued by the book to be persuaded to purchase it. In the first ten pages, it was clear that the authors were trying to get the excitement moving right away, but it wasn't working for me. In a straight-up fight, I don't know enough about the characters to root for or against them, so the conflict failed to draw me into the story. I'm going to have to pass on this book.

First Ten review added on December 18, 2016, at 1:13 am by L_Therese.

Gravy

I definitely would have looked at this, the cover would've caught my attention. There was an error, on the first page, which would put me off. However, it was the only one I noticed. I liked the maps. I enjoy the inclusion of maps in this type book, and these were nicely done!
Sadly, the story isn't my cup of tea, so I won't be continuing.

First Ten review added on December 18, 2016, at 2:26 am by Gravy.

Vermont Reviews

After reading the preview I decided to add this one to my list of ones to read in the new year. Exciting story and characters. Great cover art. Looking forward to finishing this story.
Vermont Reviews.

First Ten review added on December 18, 2016, at 4:06 am by Vermont Reviews.

hsimone

The cover, the title, the genre (fantasy), and the blurb are all appealing to me. I am a bit concerned on the somewhat mixed reviews, however, they're all three stars and up. Therefore, I most likely would have sampled this read even without this program. Based on the bit that I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited.

The Preface contained a lot of information, including the webs, and even though the maps were cool to look at, I do not think I will be able to remember everything right away. On the other hand, the first chapter seemed a bit more relaxed and easier to follow. Overall, the beginning has piqued my interest and I do plan on purchasing this book and giving it a full read.

First Ten review added on December 18, 2016, at 3:53 pm by hsimone.

Rachel1019

I thought that the title and the cover art of this novel seemed very interesting. I enjoy fantasy genres, so I was excited about this book, especially with it being compared to A Song of Ice and Fire series. Then, after reading the review on OBC, I was disappointed that the reviewer was not impressed with the book. I was also disappointed when I sampled the first part of the book. It was dry and fairly uneventful. Even though a large event happened, there is no reasoning for it, or major background given. I wish that there had been some attention-grabbing action followed by character development. So, I will not read this book.

First Ten review added on December 18, 2016, at 5:46 pm by Rachel1019.

Momlovesbooks

I could tell from the description of this book that it was another fantasy genre novel that I'm not a big fan of. I read the first few pages and still wasn't interested. The writing style seemed to be descriptive and was well-edited. This story would probably appeal to fans of this genre. However, I won't be reading it.

First Ten review added on December 18, 2016, at 8:18 pm by Momlovesbooks.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. Although the cover art is done really well, the blurb confused me a little. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I really liked how the trees and maps were done at the beginning of the novel, but the story itself confused me. I have never been an avid reader of high fantasy, and in this book there were lots of specific terminology that I didn't understand. I do think that if I had continued reading, I may understand a little more. I did not read an official review. The book was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 18, 2016, at 9:03 pm by psychopathycathy.

klbradley

I'm usually a reader would bases my opinion on books that have been reviewed by other readers I trust. I didn't see an OBC review on this one, but I did see it on the review list the cover doesn't attract me too much, maybe just because it's a but dark and I'm in a mood for something cheery. I'll pass on this one for now.

First Ten review added on December 18, 2016, at 9:10 pm by klbradley.

Rachaelamb1

I think the cover and description are good. I love the epic fantasy genre, but the OBC official review certainly made me think twice about reading this book. The sample is good, I was intrigued by the HN's death and appointment of an outsider. However because the book contains erotica, I will not be reading the rest. I did not notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on December 19, 2016, at 12:51 am by Rachaelamb1.

jungkookblog

I think I would've read this book based on the title and cover because I love fantasy books. I will read the book because the genre is great and the plot is super in detailed. That's what I love about books. I love the details and the very in depth background info, so the character knows. It seems like it was professionally edited. Something that could be improved would be more intense vocabulary. It seems like there's very easy vocabulary. I did not see a review, and it has not affected my decision.

First Ten review added on December 19, 2016, at 3:06 am by jungkookblog.

CataclysmicKnight

I was a bit concerned by this book from the title at first, but once I heard there were riddles (and a big one at the end?) I was intrigued. This was one of those books where I read well beyond the first ten pages; it already had some interesting world building and action, and it seems clear the authors have put a lot of work and care into the book. I'll certainly finish this one sometime!

First Ten review added on December 19, 2016, at 3:56 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Cjgarland89

This isn't a book I would normally have sampled. The cover and title give off a fantasy vibe and I'm not into that genre. The review didn't really have anything that stuck out to make me want to read it. There seem to be a lot of characters to follow and I don't enjoy stories that often get overly complicated. The sample was a bit boring, so for all these reasons I won't be finishing the book. I didn't spot any errors immediately in the sample.

First Ten review added on December 19, 2016, at 6:35 am by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages, I would have chosen to read/sample this book based on the genre and the cover. I love fantasy novels and this one sounds like an epic tale. The cover is also very enticing.

I think I am going to buy this one and read the whole book eventually. The first ten pages did a great job of drawing my interest in the story and 99 cents is a small price to pay to be able to discover the rest of the tale.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

I really appreciated the preface that explains to the reader how it all started. It did not bother me that it was not told as part of the story. After the preface, the beginning is very exciting. It starts the story off with a bang. I felt it was well-written, engaging writing.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on December 19, 2016, at 9:00 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 32%

This book earned a score of 32%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 32% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The First Five Days in their shelves?

21 members have The First Five Days in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

jhollan2

3-Star Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

hsimone

2-Star Shelf

chocomeiske

Want To Read Shelf