OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 2.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on May 1, 2016, at 4:03 pm by Rachaelamb1.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

In His Way

by Rebecca Duvall

The First Ten

Because In His Way was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book as Christian memoir isn't my cup of tea. The first pages were well-written and seems well edited. I liked the cover and the blurb is clear enough. It was interesting to read about her second relationship and I liked her honesty. The book seems very inspiring and touching, but it isn't for me due to the religious theme interwoven throughout the story.

First Ten review added on August 12, 2016, at 10:45 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

L_Therese

At first glance, I probably would not have gravitated toward this book. I think its intended audience is a little older than me, and I am not at a phase of life at which I can relate well to the struggles that the author purports to discuss. I read the first ten pages anyway, but my decision was not altered. The author offers a very humble introduction that gives a lot of information regarding her motivation to write and then jumps into the story. One element that did not make a lot of sense to me was a pattern of occasional paragraphs placed in the regular story and introduced with the phrase "On the Inside". I wasn't sure what was going on because there was no mention of them in the introduction, and they seemed to be separate from the author's narrative. Maybe they were there to reflect some doubts that the author felt at the time, but that seems an odd construction in a memoir, which by definition is the author's thoughts and memories.

First Ten review added on August 12, 2016, at 11:32 am by L_Therese.

bookowlie

Although the Amazon blurb is clearly written, the summary didn't spark my interest. The cover is fairly generic and bland. The sample pages are well written and appear to be professionally edited. That being said, I don't care for books that relate everything in a person's life to God's plan. I also didn't care for the author's style of inserting "On the Inside" paragraphs within the narrative. This gave the story too much of a tell vs. show style.

First Ten review added on August 12, 2016, at 11:47 am by bookowlie.

anneloretrujillo

I wasn't sure if I wanted to read the book after reading the review, but I definitely wanted to after the first ten pages. So far, I didn't notice any grammar errors, and I really liked the writing style.

First Ten review added on August 12, 2016, at 12:07 pm by anneloretrujillo.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

hsimone

Even without this program, I would absolutely give this book a try. The cover, title, blurb, genre, and the positive reviews are all positive and demonstrate that this would be a read for me. After reading the first ten pages, I have decided to absolutely continue reading 'In His Way'.

The book does seem to be professionally edited with the exception of one error: the word. "fulltime" should be either "full time" or "full-time". However, this such a minimal error that it does not reflect poorly on this book at all.

My favorite aspect of this novel, thus far, is the "On the Inside" section where the author dives in deeper on her feelings and thoughts at a particular moment in her life. At this point, I do not see any need to further improve this book. Can't wait to continue!

First Ten review added on August 12, 2016, at 12:10 pm by hsimone.

Vermont Reviews

I knew from the first page of the preview that I wanted to finish reading this well written book. I just love seeing how God works in the lives of others. This story is like so many others who come to realize just how God has a plan for each and everyone of us. Well written and appears to have been professionally edited. I look forward to finish it. Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on August 12, 2016, at 1:05 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Shelle

I am grateful for the opportunity to sample this book. I have downloaded it already and it's on my Kindle waiting for me. I really like the author's writing style and feel like the subject matter is important and relevant. I appreciate that the author is so candid about her own experiences and shares them in this book. The book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on August 12, 2016, at 2:00 pm by Shelle.

CataclysmicKnight

I wasn't quite sure what this one was about from the cover, but had a pretty good idea that the "His" was God. This was quite the interesting first ten pages, and the entire book itself isn't all that long, so I'll definitely be finishing it. The build-up of the relationship is very sweet but it's also obvious it's about to spur quickly. The writing is enjoyable and smooth!

First Ten review added on August 12, 2016, at 6:30 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Cjgarland89

This book is well written and definitely an attention grabber. The author does a great job giving all the details of her situation and is very honest with herself and the reader. I can't wait to finish this book, simply to see how it plays out, and how God works in her life. I have recently been through a similar situation so I can't wait to read!

First Ten review added on August 12, 2016, at 9:15 pm by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

I would not have chosen to read this book simply because I do not read Christian books as a rule.

No, I will not read the whole book because I don't like reading books where people say they were influenced by God.

The editing was good. I noticed no typos or grammatical errors.

I did like the author's way of being straightforward. However, I found the narrative a bit boring at times and I didn't like the switches to her inner commentary at certain points. I didn't feel that it added anything to the narrative, as she already went over it in the main parts.

First Ten review added on August 13, 2016, at 2:10 am by truebookaddict.

Gravy

The style of the writing was jarring to me, and I can't say that I enjoyed what I read. The cover isn't what I would expect of the genre and subject.
I love memoirs, so I likely would have looked at this book, but the cover/blurb combination wouldn't have held my interest.

First Ten review added on August 13, 2016, at 3:18 am by Gravy.

Momlovesbooks

Based on the review I read, I was on the fence about whether or not I would read this book. I read the first few pages and was instantly engrossed in the author's story. The writing style was unique and descriptive. I was pulled into the drama and have to continue reading to find out what happens.

First Ten review added on August 13, 2016, at 12:08 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Total ~ 58%

This book earned a score of 58%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 58% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has In His Way in their shelves?

21 members have In His Way in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Radhika_17

Want To Read Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

Rachaelamb1

4-Star Shelf

hsimone

Want To Read Shelf

yaser

Want To Read Shelf

kimmyschemy06

Want To Read Shelf