Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on April 26, 2016, at 1:22 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

An Obstinate Vanity

by Keddie Hughes

The First Ten

Because An Obstinate Vanity was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would have sampled this book based on the genre and OBC review. It was described as a book that "went deeper than just romance." That peaked my interest. After reading the first ten pages, however, I will not be finishing this book. I just couldn't get into it. The style of writing just didn't hold my attention. The book did seem to be professionally edited. Unfortunately, this just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 11:39 am by anneloretrujillo.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

gali

I may have sampled the book without the program as the premise sounds intriguing. I was further intrigued by this book after reading the official review of it. The cover isn't very appealing, but the blurb is fine. I enjoyed the sample and liked the writing. I find Beth an appealing character and like the way she handled her disease. I quickly became engaged in the book and plan to finish it eventually.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 1:32 pm by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Rachel1019

This sounds like it will be an amazingly interesting book to read. I am so excited that this book was BOTD, because if not, then I never would have read the review and I never would have looked twice at this book. The title and cover display that this novel will be a romance, which is not my chosen genre. But the review on OBC was full of amazing praise for the book, and made it seem like it is a book that needs to be read. I love that one of the central themes is about overcoming adversity with a disability. I think that as soon as I finish the books that I am currently reading, this will be next on my list.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 1:46 pm by Rachel1019.

Vermont Reviews

Keddie Hughes has shown her talent in her book An Obstinate Vanity. The character that I liked the best from the preview is Benjy McKinnon, son of Dougie. It appears that the CEO of the Agency Beth Colquhoun and Dougie have a history. When Benjy loses the competition he is not about to give up on his dream. I like the idea of giving the CEO a temporary disability, although she may find it to last longer than she wants. With Dougie seeming to currently be having marital problems, a visit from Beth may prove to be interesting. I had previously downloaded this book. I will be reading it very soon now that I've read the preview. Great job.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 1:48 pm by Vermont Reviews.

hsimone

The cover and title is interesting, and I do typically like romance and mystery. The reviews do seem to be positive, including the OBC one. However, I don't think I would have sampled this on my own due to the blurb not grabbing my attention.

Based on what I read, there were a couple of words that I'm not sure if they needed to be slang. For instance, "wouldna" and "canna"; it might have been the author's intention in making the character more colorful, but it didn't seem to fit with the story. I really liked how the author opened up with Beth's situation; she has Bell's Palsy. This makes the character and her life unique already. I thought the "f" word was used a bit too much already. I can read with a few sparingly, but there were at least three in the beginning, and I don't like swearing. Also, I don't feel the beginning grabbed me. Therefore, I do not plan on finishing this book right now.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 2:18 pm by hsimone.

chocomeiske

This is not a book I would have take a second look at if not for this program. The cover promises romance of some kind and I'm not a fan of the romance genre. That being said, having read the description, I was curious since the main character suffers from Bell's Palsy which affected my mom.
For that main reason, I will be reading this book. Also it received a stellar review from OBC so I am curious to see what I think about it.
Having read the first 10 pages, I think this is a book I will enjoy reading. I like the 'voice' of the main character and her bold manner. The writing flows well and is engaging. I didn't come across any blatant editing issues within these 10 pages.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 3:06 pm by chocomeiske.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I feel like the cover art of this book does not look professional, so it does not make a good first impression. After reading the first few pages, I have changed my mind totally, this novel is well-written, interesting, and professionally edited. I could see myself reading this book someday but unfortunately now I have too much on my plate already.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 4:43 pm by Sarah_Khan.

bookowlie

The cover isn't something I would look twice at since it seems very generic. Also, the light-colored title fades into the background. I found the summary blurb well-written and interesting with a unique topic (Bell's Palsy) included in the plot. I also liked the positive points about character development and plot twists that the reviewer brought out in the Official Review. In the sample pages, the author has a nice writing style that flows easily, and I like the way Beth's Bell's Palsy condition was introduced without it overwhelming the story. Her character was well drawn in the beginning and I wanted to know know about her. The sample appears to be professionally edited. Based on the writing style and summary blurb, I am interesting in reading further.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 5:21 pm by bookowlie.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. The title and cover didn't interest me. Having read the sample, my opinion has changed. I found the plot interesting and I liked the personality of the protagonist, Beth. However, I thought the pace at which the plot was moving was slow (in the sample). The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. I will read this book further in the future.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 6:11 pm by AA1495.

CrescentMoon

I really like the title and the cover of the book. I think they are very fitting for the genre and the cover is beautiful and eye-catching. After reading the blurb, I think I would pick this book up out of curiosity because it sounds like a very original story. After reading the first ten pages, I am not sure I would read the rest mostly because I am not excited about the book. There is nothing wrong with it specifically but I have other books I would rather read.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 6:20 pm by CrescentMoon.

Kdonegan91

The cover of this book is not eye-catching, and although the title is unique, it did not catch my attention either. After reading the first ten pages, I have decided I won't be buying this book. From what I have read, I was not impressed and I am not curious to read any further. On the other hand, the onlinebookclub review was well-written and it did make me wonder what happens to the characters but not enough to purchase it.

First Ten review added on November 18, 2016, at 6:57 pm by Kdonegan91.

Gravy

I noticed much that could use an edit. Missing words, and the use of unaccountable where I believe it should be accountable instead. A lot for the first ten pages. Beth comes across as hypocritical, and has problems with everyone she encounters. I assume there is a point to this, but it doesn't make for something I want to read, so I won't be continuing.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2016, at 3:29 am by Gravy.

truebookaddict

This is a book I probably would not have chosen to sample/read had I not done so as part of this program. The blurb did not really capture my interest.

I believe this book was book of the day back in June and was offered for free then as well. I downloaded a copy then. Now that I've read the first ten pages, I'm intrigued by the story line, and I especially love the main character, Beth. I probably will read the whole book eventually.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice any typos/grammatical errors.

This book is interesting. I'm a huge fan of television shows and mini-series made in the UK, especially their crime or dramatic series like Silk, Uther, or Prime Suspect. So, as I was reading the first 10+ pages, I really felt like I was watching one of these dramas unfold. I could even hear the accents in my head and picture Beth and her mannerisms. The beginning pages were quite intriguing and I'm interested to read more.

The book was officially reviewed on OBC in June 2016.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2016, at 4:06 am by truebookaddict.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would've read the book based on the title, cover, etc. because I am not a big fan of romance. I am not going to buy or read the whole book because the overall plot style is not what I love. It did not change it from my original guess because it just proved that the book is not my style by reading the first ten pages. It seems like it was professionally edited. I loved how there was foul language, so no language barrier. Something that could be improved, is the whole backstory. I did not see a review, but that has probably affected my decision. If i know more about the book, I will get a more idea of it.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2016, at 4:49 am by jungkookblog.

L_Therese

The blurb for this book didn't particularly fascinate me, but the reviewer introduced an entirely new facet to the plot that seemed like it might enrich the book further. It made me willing to give the book a try.The beginning wasn't poorly written, but it wasn't gripping either. After those first ten pages, I felt mostly ambivalent, so I decided not to continue.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2016, at 8:54 am by L_Therese.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read this book sample, I would not have read the actual book. I thought the blurb was interesting, but not enough for me to want to read it. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I thought the writing was good especially at the scene with the girl and the taxi, but afterwards things kind of dimmed down and I lost interest. It was professionally edited. I did not read an official review, but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2016, at 5:23 pm by psychopathycathy.

Shelle

Based on the cover and blurb I likely wouldn't have chosen this book so I was glad to have the opportunity to sample it. The writing style was engaging, but I didn't particularly like the main character. maybe she gets more relatable as the story progresses. This book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2016, at 7:43 pm by Shelle.

MarisaRose

If I had not sampled the first ten pages, I still would have given this book a shot. I find the title and cover are both exciting. Additionally, I read the official OnlineBookClub review and that really made my want to read this book. The first ten pages appear to be professionally edited and the writing is solid. I liked the main character, Beth, the most from the first ten and I'm really interested to see what her story will be. We've already learned that Beth is having a hard time dealing with a recent diagnosis; I like that the main character has seriously struggles, I think it will make her character more interesting than most.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2016, at 7:47 pm by MarisaRose.

Momlovesbooks

This book had high reviews. The description was intriguing and caught my interest. I read the first few pages but couldn't get into the story. The main character seemed interesting and I was curious as to how she would be fully developed throughout the book. However, I just wasn't interested in the plot and won't be reading this one.

First Ten review added on November 19, 2016, at 9:14 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Cjgarland89

I wouldn't have normally sampled this book. The cover is kind of bland and the review doesn't really seem to catch my attention enough to want to read. After sampling I won't be finishing the book, I had a hard time keeping my attention on the storyline and diving in. I didn't see any errors so it looks professionally edited. I didn't have any favorite parts so to speak.

First Ten review added on November 20, 2016, at 8:22 am by Cjgarland89.

klbradley

I had a friend in high school who had bells palsy, so I understand how rare that is , and also how frustrating life can be while trying to deal with the symptoms. I can't really place my finger on why, but for some reason I don't feel like this book would hold my interest.

First Ten review added on November 20, 2016, at 8:29 am by klbradley.

Total ~ 38%

This book earned a score of 38%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 38% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has An Obstinate Vanity in their shelves?

More than 28 members have An Obstinate Vanity in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

kieshua1231

3-Star Shelf

greenstripedgiraffe

4-Star Shelf

CataclysmicKnight

4-Star Shelf

kbahme

Want To Read Shelf

Nicole

Want To Read Shelf

TrishaAnn92

Want To Read Shelf