Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on April 23, 2016, at 2:58 pm by bookowlie.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

High Hopes

by Sue Lilley

The First Ten

Because High Hopes was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably would have sampled the book as the blurb sounds interesting. I like the cover and the official review piqued my interest. The book seems well written overall and I like that the story is set in England. The beginning of the book confused me, with all the talks about a letter and a lost love baby, but the official review cleared up the fog. However, I won't be finishing the book as the writing isn't to my like. I didn't connect to the writing at all and found it a bit stiff.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 10:09 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

ashley_claire

This is not a book I would pick up because the premise doesn't really appeal to me. The storyline isn't something I'm normally interested in and I actually get frustrated reading these types of books that have a secret or miscommunication as the main element of the book. The book seems to be error free and moves along at a steady pace. Seeing the OBC review helped me get a clearer picture of the storyline but ultimately it didn't change my opinion on not finishing the book.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 12:11 pm by ashley_claire.

anneloretrujillo

I wasn't quite sure if I would read this book based on the OBC review. I was interested to at least sample it based on the review, blurb, and genre. I usually like dramatic romance novels. After reading the first ten pages, I am going to purchase this book and finish reading it. There is already the dramatic element as soon as the book starts. I also like that there are so many possible relationships that could develop as book goes on. I do, however, think this book needs a second look at the editing. I notice quite a few missing commas already. Despite the editing, I would like to continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 12:23 pm by anneloretrujillo.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

AA1495

Even if I had not sampled it, I would have chosen to read this book. While the title did not attract me, the cover and synopsis made me curious. Having read the sample, I think I will purchase the book. The book seems to have an unusual, strong and interesting plot. I was able to connect with, and was rooting for the protagonist. It seems like the book was professionally edited and the language is easy to follow. What I like best about the book is definitely it's interesting plot that left me curious. However, at the beginning, I was confused about the relationships between all the characters, and that's what I liked least about it. I came across the official Onlinebookclub review, which is favorable and further encourages me to purchase the book.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 1:06 pm by AA1495.

braver

The book's description was excellent - short, sweet, and to the point, but full of potential intrigue. For what it's worth, the paperback description and kindle book description on Amazon are different, and I think the paperback description is much better. Regardless of those differences, I'm interested in the story, and the first few pages didn't disappoint. The writing is clean and there's a lot of emotion captured without being flamboyant. Definitely interested in reading the whole book.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 2:01 pm by braver.

L_Therese

I wasn't super enthused about this one when I first saw it. The cover is beautiful, but it didn't intrigue me. The plot summary made me think more of a soap opera than a book. After reading the first ten pages, I've decided to pass on this book. The narrator jumps in to just telling the reader/other character why she is so upset and apprehensive. That doesn't let me get to know the character the way I'd want to- by experiencing her struggle with her.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 2:06 pm by L_Therese.

easy_dc13

I don't normally read romance novels so, no, I might not have chosen to read the book. Even though the premise is quite interesting, I wouldn't be reading the book right now. I did not spot any typos and errors so it's all good. I will say that the flow from one scene to another was quite confusing because of the wording so, that's about it.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 3:15 pm by easy_dc13.

hsimone

I sometimes am a bit leery on romance novels. There could be too many steamy, repetitive scenes. Therefore, I most likely would not have sampled this read if it wasn't for this program. I will say the cover is beautiful and the blurb is interesting. Having over 60 reviews with 4.5 stars is also positive. However, what made this book a more interesting read is the OBC reviewer gave High Hopes a positive review.

Based on the bit that I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really like the premise of this book. I think the reappearance of Grace's and Sam's daughter (even though they aren't married) is a clever way to potentially bring these two characters together. However, I did not like how the summary of the story was told right from the beginning with the use of dialogue. There was no intrigue because I already knew about the situation. Overall, I have decided to not give this book a read since I was not able to immerse myself in the text from the beginning.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 5:03 pm by hsimone.

Shelle

The cover looks a bit too "bodice ripper" for my tastes, but the blurb did sound interesting, so I was glad to have the opportunity to sample this book. While the characters are likable and the initial conflict quite jarring, the choppy writing style put me off. The book appeared to be error-free and professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 6:21 pm by Shelle.

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover and the title. I think the cover and title are very fitting for the genre and I love the faces in shadow against the sun background. However, based on the blurb, I would not pick this book up. I do like reading romance books sometimes but this story sounds like a soap opera. This doesn't really sound like a book I would enjoy. After reading the first ten pages, I don't want to continue reading the book. I don't see any grammatical errors or major editing mistakes. I do like the writing and the dialogue because it sounds realistic between these characters. However, this book is not for me.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 6:59 pm by CrescentMoon.

Vermont Reviews

Yes ok, the preview caught me. I'm hooked. I had to download the book to read the rest of the story. Will Grace be able to tell Sam about their daughter before she arrives home? And how will Dixie accept the news? You have my attention. Great story. Great characters. Also will Grace have a fling with Danny the gardener? I will find out by finishing the story. The cover is great as well. I did read some of the reviews. Excellent 5 stars for the most part. I would like to read more of this author's works. Glad to see it was picked for book of the day.
Vermont Reviews.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 8:52 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Gravy

Because I am not a fan of romance, generally speaking, I would not have looked at this book. There were a few errors, but nothing I wouldn't see in any other book. The writing held my attention, and I would recommend it to fans of the genre, though I won't be continuing with it due to preferences. I enjoyed the house, and the way the character loved it. A wonderful character quirk, and it was refreshing.
The cover doesn't impress me, but fits the genre.

First Ten review added on September 19, 2016, at 10:54 pm by Gravy.

CataclysmicKnight

I had no idea what this book was about aside from it being a romance novel, and I'm typically not a fan of romance without some major kind of twist. Going into the book I was rather confused at the first few pages and the setup, and after that it changed into a (well-written) tease. While the book seems well written and well edited, this just isn't my kind of book.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2016, at 12:55 am by CataclysmicKnight.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would have wanted to read the book. The blurb seems extremely interesting, and the reviews are relatively positive. After reading the sample, I would still very much like to read the book. I enjoyed the writing style, and I liked the depth of the characters so far. However, I did catch one punctuation error in the sentence: "He planted an affectionate kiss on his temple 'Afraid you won't get a present for your big birthday?'" Nevertheless, I very much enjoyed reading the ten pages. Even though I did not read the OnlineBookClub review, my view was not changed.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2016, at 5:49 am by psychopathycathy.

Momlovesbooks

The blurb caught my attention. I'm a sucker for romance novels. This book was reviewed by the Online Book Club. It was a nice review, but the book's plot seems to be an overused one. I read a few pages and found that to be true. It seems to be well-written and an entertaining read. However, I've read many romance novels with similar plots, so won't continue reading this one.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2016, at 6:43 am by Momlovesbooks.

Kia

Based on the description of this book I absolutely would have chosen to read it. The cover is catchy, and the idea of a secret love child that even the father doesn't know about sounds like it will make a fantastic drama. After reading the first ten pages, I absolutely will continue to read this book. I found no mistakes, and it opens right in the middle of a very complicated situation. I like how it managed to grab my attention right from page one.

First Ten review added on September 20, 2016, at 9:23 pm by Kia.

Cjgarland89

I would have normally picked this book up due to the genre and the cover made it seem very lovey dovey. Normally with a book like this I'll read the OBC review to see if it's something that I would like to read, however that wasn't available and the Amazon reviews didn't help much. After reading the first ten I am interested to see how Grace reveals to Sam that she had a baby, and what the result of all of the feelings are. I will be buying the full version of the book and finishing it to see what happens. My favorite part was the exchange between the gardener and Grace, it made me chuckle a bit because of his inuendos to her. The first ten was free from errors that I saw.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2016, at 6:48 am by Cjgarland89.

klbradley

Based on reading the synopsis of this book, it sounds very interesting and like something I think I would enjoy. However, with reading the first ten pages, I felt that it didn't keep my interest that well. There seemed to be no editing errors.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2016, at 8:31 am by klbradley.

truebookaddict

I would not have chosen to read or sample this book because I'm generally not a romance reader.

I will not buy and read the whole book because I do not read books in the romance genre, although in some cases I may read romantic suspense.

The book is very well-edited. I did not detect any typos or grammatical errors.

I liked the rapport of Grace and Alexander, although I was somewhat perplexed by their being divorced and yet still having a friends with benefits arrangement. To each his own I guess. It seemed that Grace wasn't so sure about it either. I also liked how the entire premise for the book was lined up right away. I can suggest no improvements. As a person who does not read romance, I feel I'm not qualified to offer suggestions in the genre.

First Ten review added on September 21, 2016, at 8:51 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 37%

This book earned a score of 37%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 37% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has High Hopes in their shelves?

18 members have High Hopes in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

bookowlie

3-Star Shelf

Imsordakewl

Want To Read Shelf

K_Kaori

Want To Read Shelf

jungkookblog

Currently Reading Shelf

Charlottehains

Want To Read Shelf

Clintmich

Currently Reading Shelf