Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.4 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on April 22, 2016, at 4:20 pm by gali.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

The Grand

by Dennis D. Wilson

The First Ten

Because The Grand was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

James Craft

I will not be reading this story. It received a great review from online book club but It doesn't seem like the kind of book I would like. The cover isn't very appealing to me and the opening pages don't manage to catch my interest. I think it looks like a good book just not for me. Readign the first ten pages didn't change my mind and my original guess from the cover stands.

First Ten review added on January 15, 2017, at 11:58 am by James Craft.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

The cover and title of this book are interesting, although they do not give me a clue as to what I can expect regarding the plot. I thought the blurb did a very good job at making me want to start reading the free sample.
After reading the first ten pages, I thought the book was well-written and professionally edited, the pace was also good. I could see myself reading this book sometime in the future but right now I have too much on my plate.

First Ten review added on January 15, 2017, at 12:08 pm by Sarah_Khan.

CrescentMoon

I think the book blurb sounds very interesting so I would pick it up out of curiosity. However, after reading the first ten pages, I don't think I will read the rest. This book seems to have many different plots and I would rather read novels that have one story. I don't think this book is for me.

First Ten review added on January 15, 2017, at 1:52 pm by CrescentMoon.

Vermont Reviews

I did enjoy the preview of The Grand by Dennis D. Wilson. Today's book of the day. Based on reading the preview I would have purchased the book. At this time I did not choose to download the book based on my reading schedule. I am currently overbooked. With so many to read this one did not make it to my 2017 reading list. I thought that the author Dennis D. Wilson did a great job on the plot and the characters as well. I like the cover. Dean Wister needs a vacation and it seems that he cannot leave his job behind. Well written.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on January 15, 2017, at 2:35 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Rachel1019

The cover of this book is interesting and I really like it. The title does not explain very much about the theme of this book. I normally enjoy thrillers and this one should be a thriller since it is stated on the cover. After reading the review and seeing just how excited the reviewer was about this book, it would be hard to say no to sampling it. After reading the sample on Amazon, I do think that it would be a good book to read, but it could also be a long read. I do not have the time for it right now, and so I will pass on it for now. But it will definitely stay in the back of my mind for when I do get the time.

First Ten review added on January 15, 2017, at 4:21 pm by Rachel1019.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book based on the title, cover, genre and OBC review. I usually like crime thrillers. The only thing that would have deterred me from sampling it is that the review said that it is a political crime thriller rather than an action crime thriller. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. I know that the whole thing starts with someone seeing two people together, but I didn't realize the whole beginning of the book would be focused on that relationship. There was too much talk of erotic sex in the first chapter for me. The language of it just wasn't for me. It did seem to be professionally edited. I just couldn't get into it.

First Ten review added on January 15, 2017, at 4:50 pm by anneloretrujillo.

mratdegraff91

The cover of this novel sparks curiosity in the mind of the reader. The short description summarizing the book featured on Amazon does not do the book justice. In sampling the book I noticed it starts out with a sexual scene and had no grammatical errors. The opening scene was not something I liked. Reading the OnlineBookClub review did convince me that it was worth reading rather than sampling it. I don't think this book is something I would enjoy in that it begins with something that puts me off and is slow to build as mentioned in the review.

First Ten review added on January 15, 2017, at 5:58 pm by mratdegraff91.

jamesabr

I thoroughly enjoyed my sampling of The Grand. If I hadn’t come across this book through the program, I would have sampled it due to the glowing review it received on OnlineBookClub. I am not well versed in the Crime or Thriller genre, but from the first page, the book captured my attention. This is mainly due to the masterfully and appropriately detailed stories of Senator McGraw and Hayden Smith. The senator’s affair with Charlotte Kidwell wasn’t too sordid, and Hayden Smith’s intrusion was my favorite part for how humorous it was. I will eventually purchase and read this book. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 15, 2017, at 6:19 pm by jamesabr.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

CataclysmicKnight

The cover of this one made me imagine either some sort of horror or adventure novel, so I was surprised to find it was instead a political crime novel! The first chapter was quite lewd but it also set up the crime that was coming as well. While there's lots of room for intrigue here, and the writing is top-notch, I don't see finishing it due to the naughty first chapter and not having anything specific to make me keep reading.

First Ten review added on January 15, 2017, at 7:42 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

bookowlie

I love the artistic cover of this book, although the color used for the title is indistinct against the background. The summary blurb appears to be professionally edited and intrigued me, as I like mysteries. The main thing that put me off is the political thriller aspect since those types of plots often are too convoluted. The beginning pages are well-written, but the introductory scene dragged on a little too long for my taste. That being said, the official reviewer who gave the book high marks is a reliable reviewer so I am on the fence about this one. Taking everything into account, I am interested in reading this book at some point.

First Ten review added on January 15, 2017, at 8:56 pm by bookowlie.

Gravy

I didn't notice any errors. The cover is eye-catching, and the style was good. I wasn't a fan of the way the story opened.
The subject matter and genre are not to my taste. I will not be continuing with this.

First Ten review added on January 16, 2017, at 2:39 am by Gravy.

L_Therese

When I first saw this book, I wasn't too impressed. The cover was hard to decipher in such a small picture, so I couldn't understand what I was looking at. The OBC review, however, brought the book right back to the "better try it" list. When I tried the first ten pages, though, I wasn't thrilled. For one, opening a book with sex doesn't usually work for me personally. Secondly, I noticed that the text described the Senator's belly as "opulent" rather than "corpulent" (the more likely descriptor, in context), which made me doubt the quality of the editing. I'll be giving it a pass after all.

First Ten review added on January 16, 2017, at 3:20 am by L_Therese.

klbradley

The first ten pages of this book start off with a secret lovers reunion, which appears to be a secretive affair. The senator and the woman seem to only be able to meet every once in a while, making it that much harder to resist each other when they are able to meet. From the first ten pages, I seem to gather that something big is about to happen, as the woman that is sleeping with the senator keeps saying she has more surprises coming his way. The book is definitely interesting, and I am looking forward to seeing what will happen. I probably would not have chosen this book on my own without the first ten pages, as the cover does not appeal to me in any way.

First Ten review added on January 16, 2017, at 10:51 am by klbradley.

Rachaelamb1

This is not normally the type of book I would choose to read, but it has a good cover for the genre. The first ten pages are much too sexual for my taste. I will not be reading any further. The OBC official review is positive, but it just isn't my type of book. It seems to be well edited.

First Ten review added on January 16, 2017, at 11:39 am by Rachaelamb1.

hsimone

The cover at first confused me because I honestly thought that it's main feature was a leaf. However, upon closer examination, I can tell that it is so much more than that. The title isn't too telling, which could be good or bad. I do like a good mystery/thriller. Though the two customer reviews are positive, the one that I hold with more weight is the reliable OBC review. Therefore, I would have sampled this book on my own.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like the author's easy-flowing writing style; it makes the read more enjoyable and makes me want to continue. There is quite a bit of sexual talk in the beginning between Tom and his female 'friend'. However, I don't feel overwhelmed by it (sometimes these scenes can be overwhelming). Overall, I like the flow and, as I mentioned earlier, the fact that the reliable OBC reviewer enjoyed this read. Therefore, I will be purchasing this book and will finish reading it.

First Ten review added on January 16, 2017, at 12:30 pm by hsimone.

Kdonegan91

The cover is creative and stands out from other books. The sample was professionally edited and progressed nicely. However, I am not a fan of political thrillers. This book just didn't catch or obtain my interest.

First Ten review added on January 16, 2017, at 1:44 pm by Kdonegan91.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. The blurb did not quite catch my eye. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind, although I was pleasantly surprised by the way the characters were introduced. It caught my attention, although I gradually lost interest as the story descended with a more serious tone. It seemed to be professionally edited and I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on January 16, 2017, at 9:58 pm by psychopathycathy.

MarisaRose

I enjoy political thrillers from time to time so "The Grand" interested me right away. After reading the official OBC review as well as the book blurb and positive Amazon reviews, I would have at least sampled this book. The plot and cover both looked intriguing! After sampling the first ten pages of "The Grand," I decided not to continue reading the book. The author shows a clear and well developed writing style; further, the novel appears to be professionally edited. However, the content didn't really spark my interest. The opening scene between the senator and his lover felt like something I read many times before. I think if the opening had been more unique, I would have been more interested in continuing the book.

First Ten review added on January 16, 2017, at 10:24 pm by MarisaRose.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I liked the author's writing style & how the characters' thoughts were described. However, I found some descriptions long. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. I thought that the book began like a romance book. However, it doesn't belong to the romance genre according to the review & hence, I do not think that I'll be reading this book further.

First Ten review added on January 16, 2017, at 10:29 pm by AA1495.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because I'm not a great fan of thriller. I am not going to read this book because it's a very different book along with some sexual sayings. It seems like it was professionally edited. I liked the details in the book though. I did not see any review, however I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on January 17, 2017, at 12:30 am by jungkookblog.

chocomeiske

This cover is interesting and I like thrillers so this would have been granted a second look. I read an loved the first ten pages. The sexual encounter sure added some heat to the cold winter day :). I can't recall any editing issues and if my TBR wasn't ridiculously large, I would have been glad to add this to it.

First Ten review added on January 17, 2017, at 6:24 am by chocomeiske.

Cjgarland89

Crime thrillers are my favorite type of book to read. At first glance of this book I was excited to sample it and see how it was. After reading the sample I was hooked immediately. It started like many of my favorite books with the different story lines that will seemingly all come together later. This book is definitely up to par with my regular readings. I didn't see any errors in the sample. The OBC review was a non factor as I had already decided to read based on my sample.

First Ten review added on January 17, 2017, at 6:41 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 18%

This book earned a score of 18%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 18% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Grand in their shelves?

21 members have The Grand in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

gali

4-Star Shelf

bluemel4

Want To Read Shelf

e-tasana-williams

Want To Read Shelf

mindyg123

4-Star Shelf

tarafarah7

Want To Read Shelf

LuvSavingMoney

Want To Read Shelf