Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.2 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on April 19, 2016, at 3:36 pm by Auntbee.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781941368008

Crossing in Time: (Between Two Evils, #1)

by D.L. Orton

The First Ten

Because Crossing in Time was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I would have sampled this book based on the cover, title and the author's blurb. The synopsis had me at first read and the prologue did the rest. I love time-travel, dystopian novels and parallel universe plots and this book fit the bill. The book started very well (with the attempt of the heroin to buy a gun) and certainly made me that interested in reading further. I loved the writing and the book looks very well edited. Based on the reviews and on the sample it is right up my alley. I will definitely be reading it!

First Ten review added on July 3, 2016, at 8:44 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

I don’t read a lot of sci-fi novels, but the beginning pages captured my interest.  I was intrigued by the trading of laptops for eggs, spices for guns, and the gun dealers setting up shop in the parking lot of a burned-out Walmart.  It’s an attention-grabbing way to begin a story.  I like the author’s writing style and the sample appears to be professional edited.  The Amazon summary blurb was interesting and gave me a good sense of the plot. The biggest issue I had was that a dog was shot dead; I am a dog lover and this seemed to be an unnecessary, horrifying scene in the story.   It made me not to want read the book since I expect that the book will contain excessive violence.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2016, at 11:30 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

hsimone

Had I not actually read the first ten pages, I probably would've sampled the book anyway. The title, the cover, and the blurb all peak my interest. Both the customer reviews and the editorial review all look wonderful. Therefore, I do plan on reading the whole book. I am intrigued on where the story will go from here. Also, it seems the main character is written as a more complex figure rather than a simple one.

Based on what I read, the book does seem like it was professionally edited. My favorite part of the first ten pages has to be the interaction between the gun trader and the girl. I think it speaks volumes in the type of world people are now living in. To be honest, at this point in the story, I do not see much room for improvement.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2016, at 12:34 pm by hsimone.

Rachaelamb1

The cover and title of this book has an immediate draw for me. Upon reading the description, I could see that it isn't my type of book. Reading the first ten pages confirmed that as it is a bit too crude for my taste. It is well written though, and the author has a distinct voice in her writing. The book immediately grabs your attention with the way the dystopian world is described and it's pretty hard not to be intrigued by someone who is bartering for a firearm with spices! The characters are also depicted very well. The book appears to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2016, at 12:59 pm by Rachaelamb1.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

L_Therese

I wasn't sure about this book when I looked it up on Amazon, but after reading its OnlineBookClub review, it sounded like it might be really interesting. Ten pages in, it was fascinating. Thus far, the book is set in a feasible dystopia, and there are a few hints about what and who caused the changes. I am finding the plot intriguing and the book exceedingly well-written so far. I want to know what happened before and what will happen next; I look forward to continuing to read.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2016, at 2:01 pm by L_Therese.

CataclysmicKnight

I would've read this one based on the genre alone, especially once I learned it was post-apocalyptic in reading the first 10 pages. Now that I've read some, there's no way I'm not finishing it! The writing is descriptive and tense and humorous and frightening and realistic! Yes, I'm definitely reading all of this one; it's at the top of my list now in fact.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2016, at 2:45 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Vermont Reviews

The first ten pages of this book enticed me to get the whole book. I did read the first ten pages and some of the reviews. The authors did a great job of storytelling. The characters are interesting and the story moves along at a great pace. I plan on reading the whole book. Because it caught my attention from page one. The book appears to be professionally edited. There were no errors. Spelling or grammar were excellent. The story of true love having a second chance, I love a story like that. Looking forward to reading more by the author.

First Ten review added on July 3, 2016, at 5:36 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Gravy

I love the cover, and the whole thing looks interesting. This is definitely something I would've looked at, and after reading the sample only one thing would put me off reading it, but to say what could count as a spoiler.
The writing itself looks great, and I would fully consider reading this book!

First Ten review added on July 3, 2016, at 7:07 pm by Gravy.

Momlovesbooks

I enjoy time travel novels, so was drawn to the title and cover of this book. Based upon the description I read, I wasn't sure if I would really enjoy this story. However, after reading the first few pages, I was hooked. The writing is vibrant and descriptive. I didn't see any grammatical or typographical errors. The main character, Isabel, is strong and likeable. I haven't read enough about her love interest, Diego, to form an opinion of him. I feel I won't be disappointed, though. This books seems to have everything from action to romance to time travel. Just my cup of tea! I will definitely be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2016, at 8:55 am by Momlovesbooks.

bluemel4

I was immediately interested in this book based on the genre, cover, and title. After reading the blurb, reviews and the sample, I was hooked! It is well-written, exciting, and filled with details that engage the senses.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2016, at 5:26 pm by bluemel4.

truebookaddict

I immediately knew I would read this one as soon as I read the description, then read the review on OBC, and the reviews on Amazon. It's exactly my kind of read.

Yes, I will read the whole book. The review on OBC painted it as a smart read that makes you think. Those are the kinds of books I love to read.

The book seems to be professionally edited. No typos or grammatical errors detected.

I enjoyed the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the first 10+ pages. Gave me an idea of what to look forward to, i.e. how the world got that way. I did not find any need for improvement.

First Ten review added on July 4, 2016, at 9:08 pm by truebookaddict.

Sarah G

An intriguing blurb and an eye catching front cover are a great start. After reading the first 10 pages I got a really good feel for the main character and a glimpse of the dystopian world she must survive. From what I've read I would want to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2016, at 2:48 am by Sarah G.

Judyk

Based on the blurb or the cover I would have at least sampled this book because I enjoy reading books about time travel and romance. Reading the first ten pages (which turned into way more than 10) confirmed that this was a book I could really enjoy. I'm already in love with the main characters, and heartbroken to know that one of them will be dying, even if it's not permanently. I will definitely be reading the whole book.

First Ten review added on July 5, 2016, at 2:55 am by Judyk.

Total ~ 85%

This book earned a score of 85%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 85% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Crossing in Time in their shelves?

16 members have Crossing in Time in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

gali

Want To Read Shelf

hsimone

4-Star Shelf

kimmyschemy06

3-Star Shelf

Auntbee

4-Star Shelf

lydialeigh

Currently Reading Shelf

mgolvach

4-Star Shelf