Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 4.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on March 17, 2016, at 3:09 pm by Rachaelamb1.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781493554744

Second Son

by Jenelle Leanne Schmidt

The First Ten

Because Second Son was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I got the first book and was happy to find out this one is free. Needless to say I downloaded the book. I would have sampled this book without the program as it is one of my favorite genres. The blurb and the official review piqued my interest and the cover caught my eyes. The beginning pages started well, with the prophecy and all, and I liked the writing. I loved what I read so far and plan to read the book eventually. I prefer to start series from the start, so will read the first book first and then will read this one.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2016, at 10:06 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

The Amazon summary blurb didn't capture my attention as it was written in a flat, long-winded style. However, it is free of errors and appears to be professionally edited. The cover artwork is appealing, although the black font doesn't stand out against the picture. I found the beginning pages a little tediuos due to to the flat writing style. Also, the lack of line breaks between paragraphs gave the story a slow pace and made it hard to follow. I am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2016, at 11:14 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

anneloretrujillo

I wouldn't have read this book based on the review and genre. It sounded like a good book based on the review, but the genre did not appeal to me. After reading the first ten pages, I have the same opinion. It still seems like a good book, but the content still didn't appeal to me. Also, there were a few grammar errors with the use of commas within the first ten pages of the book. For example, the following sentence needs a comma: "Master Hobard was an understanding teacher and he knew that any lesson he taught on such a day as this would just have to be re-taught later." There should be a comma between the word teacher and the word and to separate the two complete sentences.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2016, at 12:18 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Vermont Reviews

Yes I think the cover art is great. The story from the preview was good enough that I decided even though I have a lot of reading to do this one I want to finish. The book has been professionally edited. It is a well written story. Thanks to the author Jenelle Leanne Schmidt for making it available for book of the day. I am looking forward to finding out more about the Second Son.

Vermont Reviews.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2016, at 1:17 pm by Vermont Reviews.

L_Therese

I was looking forward to a fun and exciting fantasy novel when I read the description for this book. After the first ten pages, I am still hopeful! There is still a lot of development needed in the plot and characters, but I really want to know what will happen next. I plan to continue reading this book!

First Ten review added on August 16, 2016, at 8:10 pm by L_Therese.

Gravy

To get it out of the way, I have to say that I really dislike the cover. It looks out of date, off genre, and just boring.

Now for the actual book. I'm not in a high fantasy phase right now (but I have been known to have them) and I would read this, if I were in one. It wouldn't be at the top of my list, but it would be on it.
I liked that I didn't feel lost, even though it was the second in a series.
I also like the two brothers, though Rhoyan would have to be my favorite.

I didn't notice any errors, but there were moments when the writing felt a little flat, mainly in dialogue and characterization.

First Ten review added on August 16, 2016, at 8:45 pm by Gravy.

hsimone

I actually have heard of this book prior to today through OBC. Since reading the review, I have been interested in reading this fantasy. The cover, title, genre, and blurb are of interest to me. After reading the sample, I believe I will continue this read at some point.

The book does seem professionally edited. My favorite part of the bit that I read is capturing the adventurous and realistic ways of the two boys. At this point, I do not see any need for improvement.

First Ten review added on August 17, 2016, at 8:21 am by hsimone.

CataclysmicKnight

There's a great energy in the first ten pages so far, and the two princes both seem like good characters. There's also the prophecy, which sounds really promising! However, this is quite a long book (441 pages), and it hasn't won me over quite that much yet when I have such a long list of books to read. For now, I have to say that I won't be finishing it.

First Ten review added on August 17, 2016, at 4:02 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Momlovesbooks

I occasionally read interesting science fiction novels. This one seemed like something I would enjoy, even though it was part of a series I hadn't read yet. I read a few pages and had trouble following it. I'm not sure if I needed to read the first book or if the fictional terminology was unclear. If I ever read the first book, I might follow up with this one. I won't be reading this book first, though.

First Ten review added on August 17, 2016, at 4:05 pm by Momlovesbooks.

truebookaddict

Since I'm a fantasy fan, I would have chosen to read this book based on the reviews and blurb.

Yes, I will read the whole book. The OBC review alone convinced me that it's definitely worth a read.

The editing seemed professional. No typos or grammatical errors noted.

This seems to be a very well-written fantasy novel. Just in the first 10+ pages, I was compelled to keep reading. I could already tell that I liked the character of the younger prince. Some of the dialogue seemed a bit stilted (the interaction with the cook), but otherwise, I think this will be a great fantasy read.

First Ten review added on August 18, 2016, at 3:15 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

This book was a little bit of a bore from the beginning. I typically don't read this genre and it seemed like the first ten pages took longer than usual to read. It was well written, free from grammar or spelling issues that I could see. Based on the cover alone and genre I wouldn't have typically read this book, I would have avoided it.

First Ten review added on August 18, 2016, at 6:35 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 45%

This book earned a score of 45%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 45% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Second Son in their shelves?

21 members have Second Son in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Rachaelamb1

4-Star Shelf

Janetleighgreen

Want To Read Shelf

gali

Want To Read Shelf

tarafarah7

Want To Read Shelf

lydialeigh71

Want To Read Shelf

acasto

4-Star Shelf