OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.6 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on February 20, 2016, at 1:05 pm by Scott.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Justice: A Novella

by Scott Hughes

The First Ten

Because Justice was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I have already read the book and loved it. I reviewed it as well. I love the cover, but the blurb isn't very clear. I like the way the book is written, through multiple characters' perspectives, and I love the writing. The story follows the lives of two sets of couples: Marcus and Brynn, Joseph and Marie, each couple is unhappy in his own miserable way. I like the way the character came alive on the page and was very impressed by the book. I have already got the book and highly recommended it.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 10:48 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

easy_dc13

My sister actually bought the book but it's not at the top of my reading list, so I might not have checked it out if it weren't for the program. As I said, we already have one copy but I might pass on it. Honestly, I only read the sample and it was way too short for me to get any sort of grasp on the proceedings. Also, I still have other books to read so there's that. I will say that it is spotless as far as typos and errors are concerned.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 11:24 am by easy_dc13.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

Even though I have already read this book, I will give my thoughts on the Amazon blurb and sample pages. The Kirkus review excerpt gave me a good, concise sense of what the story is about, but the rest of the blurb is a little vague - just an excerpt of a few general questions that didn't give tell me too much about the plot. Although I also found the prologue a little too general, I liked the introspective beginning with Brynn's view of her husband and her feelings about her repeated infidelity with different men. She isn't a likable character, but she is certainly interesting. The writing flows well and is brimming with raw emotion.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 11:24 am by bookowlie.

Vermont Reviews

I enjoyed not only the preview but the entire book. The cover as well. Two of my favorite lines from the book. "The darkness within us all too often overcomes the dim light between us. And "The funny thing about guilt is how close it lives to anger. This novella by Scott Hughes will make you think about life and how we think about different things. I have read the book and did enjoy it.
Vermont Reviews.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 12:56 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover and title of the book. I think they are very fitting for what the story is about. However, based on the blurb, I would not pick this book up. This sounds like a very depressing read and although there are times where I am in the mood for a more heavy, darker read, I have to be in the right frame of mind for it. It is difficult for me to read these kinds of books. After reading the first ten pages, I will not continue reading the rest. I do think the book is well-written from what I have read. The beginning with Brynn contemplating cheating on her husband is very realistic for someone who is in that situation in my opinion. However, the tone of this book is clearly very heavy and dark and a subject I'm not ready for reading on.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 1:34 pm by CrescentMoon.

hsimone

Based on the cover, title, genre (Psychological thriller), and the positive reviews, I would have sampled this book. In fact, I already own this book, have read it, and really enjoyed the short read.

The book does seem to be professionally edited. I liked how the author pulls in his readers right away with the act of adultery. The way Brynn describes the spite she feels for her husband also makes the reader curious and want to learn more about the background of this married couple. To be honest, I am not a fan of many of characters of the book, but I don't think I'm supposed to be. Since I own and have read this book, I will be checking off 'no' on the question below. However, if I did not own and read this book, then I would definitely answer 'yes'.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 3:09 pm by hsimone.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have picked it up. The reason is simple - I prefer light hearted books. The title and cover made it obvious that this wouldn't be one. Having read the first 10 pages, however, my opinion has changed. The author has introduced the protagonists very well and has raised curiosity in the reader. The book has been written very well and seems to be professionally edited. I didn't come across an official OnlineBookClub review. A favorable review would help, but I will read the book anyway. What I liked best about the book was the characterization. However, I would have liked to read more about the husband's personality in the first few pages.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 3:53 pm by AA1495.

L_Therese

I've actually already read this book. Although very brief, the Book of the Month discussion shows how much can be gleaned from its pages. Were I judging the book only from the sample, I probably would not have chosen to finish it, since the character's rationalization of her actions comes across as a bit whiny and vindictive to me. However, the book as a whole has a lot of important things to say, so I'm glad I read it.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 4:27 pm by L_Therese.

Kia

Based on the description of this book I would not have chosen to read it. I am simply not interested in thriller type novels. I found the first few pages to be extremely attention grabbing in the detail describing the main character's infidelity. I found no mistakes, and if the book wasn't a thriller type novel I would continue to read it based on those pages. At it is though I will have to pass.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 7:24 pm by Kia.

Gravy

I had looked into this book, mostly because of its association with this site. It isn't something I would typically look at, and nothing I've seen has convinced me to change my mind. I saw no errors, and the whole package (blurb, cover, sample, etc) is perfectly fine. Just not for me, and an official review wouldn't change that.
I can, however, see why others appreciate it.

First Ten review added on September 25, 2016, at 10:00 pm by Gravy.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read this book. I love the cover, but was unsure about the blurb since it was a little vague. After reading the sample, I am very interested in reading this book. I thought the writing was clear-cut and engaging, and I enjoy how it reads like the flow of someone's thoughts. The book does seem professionally edited. I did not read the OnlineBookClub review, but my decision was not affected by this.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 12:52 am by psychopathycathy.

klbradley

Before even reading the first ten pages of this book, I knew I already planned on purchasing just from hearing all the rave about it. After reading the first ten pages, I feel as if there is no way I will be able to stop, as I now have to know what all happens. I was also very intrigued due to this being the author's first work of fiction.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 8:47 am by klbradley.

anneloretrujillo

So I have actually already read this book. I wanted to read it based on the title and blurb. I bought this book after reading the sample. The sample pulled me in right away. I really liked the writing style. It also seemed to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 9:59 am by anneloretrujillo.

Momlovesbooks

I read this book when it was first released. The writing was professional with good editing. The plot was unique with memorable characters. I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 11:16 am by Momlovesbooks.

braver

The book's description really didn't give me a good idea of what to expect, so I normally would have just passed it over. The first few pages were interesting in an entirely voyeuristic way. I'm still not entirely sure where the book is going though. I'm on the fence - I think the psychological aspects of the book could be good, but I'm not convinced. Will probably pass on this one.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 6:21 pm by braver.

Shelle

I purchased this book when it first came out and inhaled it in one sitting. I thought it was well-written and kept my attention throughout. I could also tell the author was passionate about the book's themes and subject matters. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on September 26, 2016, at 6:36 pm by Shelle.

CataclysmicKnight

I've actually owned this book since a day or two after its release, but this made for a perfect excuse to get started on it. It's interesting to see the two different sides we're presented with in the first ten pages, and I'm definitely intrigued by what's still to come. The book is also quite short so it'll be easy to finish!

First Ten review added on September 27, 2016, at 1:34 am by CataclysmicKnight.

truebookaddict

I bought this book awhile back, when it was first released. I bought it to support the author, and also because it sounded like an intriguing story.

The editing is good in the book. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I can so relate to the woman in this book. Exactly what she describes happened to me. The emotional abuse, the "when your partner reneges on his side of the trade." Not the unfaithful part, but her feelings were very recognizable to me. It's so great that the book talks about emotional abuse because it is abuse. There are bruises...they are internal. No improvements to suggest.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2016, at 3:56 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

I had previously read this book, more out of curiosity than anything. The blurb doesn't provide much insight into the book, and without an OBC review it is difficult to figure out what the book is about. I read the sample pages to see what's available to others and I think from those it would bring someone in enough to purchase the full length of the book and see the rest of the stories. It is written well and doesn't contain any errors in grammar or spelling in those sample pages. I have already purchased and read this book and enjoyed it! The most enjoyable part of the book is the length, you get a lot of raw emotion from multiple characters in a short time and it's overall just a great read.

First Ten review added on September 27, 2016, at 6:32 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 68%

This book earned a score of 68%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 68% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Justice in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Justice in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Momlovesbooks

4-Star Shelf

ALynnPowers

4-Star Shelf

Scott

4-Star Shelf

Chinenye

Want To Read Shelf

hsimone

4-Star Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf