Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.4 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on January 26, 2016, at 12:53 pm by stoppoppingtheP.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

The Gallery of Wonders

by Marc Remus

The First Ten

Because The Gallery of Wonders was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I do not read the genre usually and the book's target audience is different. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I liked the writing style of the author and I thought that Holly was a character that readers can connect to. However, I thought that many characters were introduced in the first 10 pages. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I'm sure people who read the genre would love the book, it isn't for me.

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 11:18 am by AA1495.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Rachel1019

Based on the title and cover of this book I would not normally pick this up and read it. It looks like a book that I would have enjoyed as a child, but not now that I am an adult. That being said, this is a book for children, and as such is a great example of a children's book. It is a fanciful series about magic and inner passion for things, such as art. The review allows the potential reader to get a good feeling for what the book is about, and whether it would be a good book for them to read. This book is not the kind of book that I am interested in right now in my life.

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 12:07 pm by Rachel1019.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the title and the cover art of this book are appealing to the eye. The blurb caught my interest even though the genre is not exactly something I would have picked up by myself. After reading a few pages, I was pleasantly surprised, this novel is very well-written and professionally edited. Although I won't be reading the rest of this book right now, I could see how others might enjoy it.

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 1:13 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

The preview was not working today on Amazon. Therefore I did decide to download the book based on the reviews that I did read on Amazon. This book has won quite a few prized awards and that in itself is a good sign that the story is worth reading. It sounds to me like a great read and based on that information I do look forward to finishing this story. Congratulations to the author. Thanks so very much for the discount on today's book of the day status.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 1:31 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

MarisaRose

Had I not sampled the first ten pages of The Gallery of Wonders, I would not have chosen to sample or purchase this book; I used to love children's fantasy novels, however, I feel I have really outgrown this genre and many books of this type seem to be the same. I did download the book as it is a free book today (thank you), but I do not think I will start reading this one right away. The book appears to be professionally edited and well written, however, the first ten pages did not captivate me enough to continue reading. I think the evil foster mom and sister are a little over done and too common for this genre. Also, and I know this is picky, but the names really bothered me; they seemed overly childish (Smoralls?). I do like Holly, I think she will be a good heroine, though I have not read enough to really decide how I feel about her. There is an official OnlineBookClub review of this book, however, I have not yet read it.

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 1:34 pm by MarisaRose.

bookowlie

The cover artwork is very appealing and eye-catching. The summary blurb appears to be professionally edited, but it's a bit long and didn't capture my interest. Based on the beginning pages, the story doesn't seem to be my cup of tea. The writing style is somewhat simplistic and a little choppy for my taste, and my kids are a few years older than the targeted age group, so I doubt this would be their taste either. The plot might be interesting to tweens and early teens, but I am not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 1:36 pm by bookowlie.

gali

I have read both books in the series and loved them. I love the cover, but the blurb is far too detailed, The writing is excellent and it kept my interest right away. The story captured my attention right from the beginning and kept it to the last page. The book bears some resemblance to the Harry Potter series (an orphan girl, mean foster family, Art Academy etc.). but it has some original ideas as well (using art to do magic). I loved the book and plan to read the third one as well.

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 2:29 pm by gali.

chocomeiske

This is not a book I would have taken a second look at since it's a children's book. I have read the first ten pages and I must say it was surprisingly good. This is a book I would love to read aloud to my daughter but would much prefer in print format for that reason.
I love the idea of Holly discovering magic is real and I think the Shrink-O-Meter is pretty cool. I didn't encounter any glaring editing issues in the first 10 pages.

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 2:39 pm by chocomeiske.

CrescentMoon

I love the cover of the book. It is very beautiful and eye catching. I think I I would pick this up out of curiosity because the cover is so amazing and the title is fitting. However I don't think I would continue reading after reading the first ten pages because this book sounds a lot like Harry Potter and I want to read fresh and original stories. In addition I'm a fan of adult books not children's books so I am not the target audience for this.

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 4:01 pm by CrescentMoon.

amybo82

I was hooked on this book immediately! I had previously downloaded this book because I found it when looking for a new book to read. I've really enjoyed it so far. It reminds me of books like Harry Potter, The Sisters Grimm, and The Land of Stories. Because it's a children's book, it is a quick and easy read. It's also full of action and adventure, so it keeps you constantly entertained. I plan to continue reading and finish this book over the Thanksgiving weekend!

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 5:21 pm by amybo82.

Kdonegan91

Although I love the cover of this book and the plot seems interesting, I will have to pass on reading the rest of the book. I just am not a fan of fantasy and I feel like this book was written for a younger age group.

First Ten review added on November 22, 2016, at 7:55 pm by Kdonegan91.

Rachaelamb1

I love the cover, title and description. The OBC official review really made me excited to read this book. The first ten pages are good, but don't quite pull me in. However, I am intrigued to find out about Magora from the OBC review so I will continue reading. I am always on the lookout for interesting and unique children's books and this one seems to fit the bill. It also seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 23, 2016, at 2:58 am by Rachaelamb1.

hsimone

The cover is beautiful, and that alone would have led me to sample this read. Along with the interesting title, blurb, genre (children's fantasy), and all the positive reviews (including the OBC one) has also proven that this book may be one for me.

Based on the bit that I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. Holly seems like a likable character, especially, in comparison to the rest of her family. In order for me to enjoy a book, there needs to be at least one likable main character. If I had to pick a point of improvement, it would be that this kind of reminds me of Harry Potter (child in an unappreciative household), like others have said. However, I love Harry Potter and my interest is piqued in this beginning. Therefore, I do plan on finishing the book.

First Ten review added on November 23, 2016, at 3:01 am by hsimone.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book based on the genre and the OBC review. I don't have time to read a lot of books, so I don't usually read children's books unless I have someone to read them with. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing the book. I was intrigued at first. However, when it started going into the fantasy end of it, I found myself losing interest. The book did seem professionally edited. It just isn't my type of book.

First Ten review added on November 23, 2016, at 3:06 am by anneloretrujillo.

L_Therese

When I see this book, I immediately think children, art, and fantasy. The last two are appealing in a book I intend to read for fun, but I don't typically read children's books in my spare time. The first ten pages introduced a story that seemed a little caricatured. I can see the similarities with the Harry Potter franchise that the reviewer talked about. It's possible that this story will be similarly enjoyable to a child, but as an adult, I am mostly uninterested.

First Ten review added on November 23, 2016, at 3:29 am by L_Therese.

Gravy

I love the design of the title on the cover. I do wish a little more about the book could be seen on it, but it's cute. Similar to a lot of books in this genre. After reading the description, this book had me interested. I enjoyed the whole unfinished painting aspect. The writing is pleasant, though it didn't grab me. I might come back this later, but for now, I don't plan on finishing it.

First Ten review added on November 23, 2016, at 4:52 am by Gravy.

Momlovesbooks

The description of this book sounded entertaining and imaginative. I didnt know if I would be interested in a kid's book. However, after reading a few pages I was drawn into the story. There was a variety of characters and an intriguing main character. The author used descriptive terms in regards to scenery and character development. I think I'll be reading this book after all.

First Ten review added on November 23, 2016, at 5:56 pm by Momlovesbooks.

klbradley

My attention was immediately brought to this book when I discovered that it was a children's book about magic and art. As a mother, I am always looking for a new book that will spark interest in reading in my son. Although I feel like this one may be a bit too mature for him at his young age, I am still going to give it a try with him.

First Ten review added on November 23, 2016, at 7:56 pm by klbradley.

CataclysmicKnight

The title and cover would've absolutely drawn me into this book whether it was a book of the day or not. The story is really whimsical thus far, feeling like a cross between Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket. The first chapter definitely has me wanting to know more, and so I'll definitely be finishing this one!

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 1:18 am by CataclysmicKnight.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would've read this based on the title, cover, etc. because it seems like it's a children's book. I am not going to buy the whole book because it doesn't seem like the book for me. It did not change me from my original guess. It seems like it was professionally edited. I loved all the details and everything in the book. It was just amazing. Something that could be improved is the backstory. I did not see a book review, but that has probably affected my decision.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 3:30 am by jungkookblog.

Cjgarland89

This isn't normally a book I would read, but after reading the review from the OBC I saw it was a children's book, that explored various themes that would be beneficial to a child to read. After sampling this isn't a book I would finish. But when my daughter gets a bit older I think it's a book she would enjoy. Holly seems like an interesting character and the author wrote the book well. I didn't immediately see any errors, so it appears professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 6:47 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 38%

This book earned a score of 38%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 38% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Gallery of Wonders in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The Gallery of Wonders in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

kip

Want To Read Shelf

gali

4-Star Shelf

Sim1moss

Want To Read Shelf

kio

Want To Read Shelf

stoppoppingtheP

4-Star Shelf