Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 4.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on January 25, 2016, at 5:39 pm by anonanemone.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9780986939082

Tinder Stricken

by Heidi C. Vlach

The First Ten

Because Tinder Stricken was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I would have sampled the book as it is one of my favorite genres. Actually, I have already bought this book after reading the official review about it. The blurb and reviews spark my interest. I enjoyed the sample, loved the writing, and found the cover lovely. A woman turning into a goat? A quest? A phoenix? Count me in! I will definitely read the balance of the book!

First Ten review added on August 21, 2016, at 10:20 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

The cover artwork is beautiful and eye-catching, and I love the color and font used for the title. I enjoyed the well-written Amazon blurb, although the mention of the book having a clear ending seems awkward and unnecessary. It's like saying this book has a clear plot. The beginning pages have a nice flow and appear to be professionally edited. The author does a good job of introducing the main character as a mix of goat and human. I don't usually care for fantasy books unless the fantasy is somewhat realistic. However, this book seems like a good choice for fans of the genre.

First Ten review added on August 21, 2016, at 12:11 pm by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Rachaelamb1

I love the cover and description. I enjoy a good fantasy and the beginning of this book does not disappoint. The unique and interesting world immediately drew me in as well as the plight of the goat-woman and her friend. I can't wait to find out more about this world. The book also appears to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on August 21, 2016, at 1:14 pm by Rachaelamb1.

L_Therese

I don't think I've encountered a premise quite like the one presented in this book - at least not for a very long time. I was curious as I began reading the first ten pages, having no idea what to expect. The writing seems professionally edited, and a storyline is emerging. Although the quality seems very good, it isn't really working for me. I can't put my finger on why I am not connecting with the characters and the story the way I want to, but the fact is that I'm not, so I won't be continuing. Perhaps other readers will feel differently.

First Ten review added on August 21, 2016, at 2:33 pm by L_Therese.

Vermont Reviews

I know that this book is a great read. It is one that I reviewed on amazon and onlinebookclub and gave it a solid 5 stars. It was an interesting story with wonderful characters. I also love the cover.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on August 21, 2016, at 4:30 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CataclysmicKnight

The concept in this one was really interesting - the idea of people morphing into animals as they get older and needing retirement money to survive past that point. Beyond that, the hunt for a knife stolen by a phoenix! Within the first ten pages, however, is rather confusing. It's clear the book will get more interesting as time goes on, but there just isn't enough to make me want to finish it yet.

First Ten review added on August 21, 2016, at 4:30 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have read this book originally because the genre was not of interest to me. I feel the same after reading the first ten pages. I liked the description used, but I don't think I could get into the book.

First Ten review added on August 21, 2016, at 7:05 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Gravy

I am in love with the cover of this book, and reading the sample gave me such a sense of nostalgia! This type of story was one of my first forays into adult literature. The style brings to mind authors like Mercedes Lackey, and I will definitely try to get a copy of this book, but I only read physical books at this time, so I can't say when it would be.
It seems to have been professionally edited, though I found a few places I felt should have had commas, but didn't (but I'm no expert). I love the people turning into animals aspect of it.

The only thing I had a problem with is that the sample seems to have not set up the book described. By this I mean that she did not lose her knife before the sample was over, which I think makes the description and sample feel unconnected.

First Ten review added on August 21, 2016, at 9:39 pm by Gravy.

hsimone

If it wasn't for this program, I'm not sure if I would have sampled this book. The title is confusing to read without context, and the cover could either be a dark tale or mysterious children's tale. The reviews do look mostly positive. Even though I like the idea of people taking on an animal form, I am unsure of how I feel about this particular book after reading the blurb. After sampling the read, I do not believe I will continue this read because the topic seems a bit far-fetched to me.

The seemingly well-written novel introduces a realistic situation - a person struggling to keep her head above water - which is appealing to me. An area of improvement is perhaps giving the reader a more detailed synopsis of where the story is taken place. It may be explained later on, but an earlier explanation would be helpful.

First Ten review added on August 22, 2016, at 2:31 am by hsimone.

Momlovesbooks

Although this is an interesting title, the description didn't interest me. I typically don't read a lot of science fiction. After reading a few pages, my initial thoughts were correct. I found the characters hard to connect with. The sci-fi terms were confusing. Although the book seems well written, I won't be reading this one.

First Ten review added on August 22, 2016, at 6:27 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Cjgarland89

Without the first ten I likely would not have read this book. The cover looks nice, and the synopsis of the book seemed interesting, however it's a little strange to think that every human eventually turns into an animal. While reading the first ten, the descriptions given were very elaborate and helped paint a clear picture of what was happening to Esha, as well as the conditions in which she lived and ate. The book appears to be professionally edited and done well. I enjoyed the descriptive language most because the better picture I can paint in my mind the easier a book is to read. I won't be finishing this book, mainly because it doesn't interest me enough.

First Ten review added on August 22, 2016, at 6:51 pm by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

I definitely would have chosen to read this, whether I sampled or not. I loved the sound of the blurb and the reviews. It sounded like a magical read.

I will be reading the whole book. I could hardly stop reading after the first ten pages. It's that good!

Very well edited. I noticed no typos or grammatical errors.

This books is so well-written and immersive. I found myself very easily getting lost in the story...in a good way. Beautiful story and an interesting concept to boot. I see no need for improvement here.

First Ten review added on August 23, 2016, at 2:40 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 33%

This book earned a score of 33%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 33% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Tinder Stricken in their shelves?

14 members have Tinder Stricken in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Gravy

Want To Read Shelf

jesguz29

Want To Read Shelf

Janetleighgreen

Want To Read Shelf

anonanemone

4-Star Shelf

hsimone

Want To Read Shelf

Vermont Reviews

4-Star Shelf