OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.7 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on January 10, 2016, at 3:00 am by bookowlie.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Motions and Moments: More Essays on Tokyo

by Michael Pronko

The First Ten

Because Motions and Moments was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled this book as it isn't my preferable genre. Reading the sample and the official review didn't change my mind, though I enjoyed reading both. The cover isn't very fetching, but the blurb was intriguing and to the point. I found the sample well-written and didn't notice any major errors. The start of the Intro was interesting, talking about eye-contact, but then it started to ramble. The first essay was more interesting, talking about cultural differences. I won't be buying and reading the book, as it isn't something that interests me right now.

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 10:03 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Vermont Reviews

I found the preview an interesting guide to Japanese culture in Toyko by an American Michael Pronko who has lived in Toyko for about 18 years. His descriptions of the city and essays are well written and though provoking. I do like the cover. At this time my reading schedule is quite full so I will not be downloading the book. I do enjoy travel books, and this one would be a good read.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 12:37 pm by Vermont Reviews.

L_Therese

From the beginning, this looked like a good book to me. A collection of essays on a culture from someone who is both insider and outsider sounds very appealing. What is more, the review praised the book highly and cemented my positive impression. When I downloaded the sample, I intended to read the first ten pages, but I ended up reading the entire sample before I even realized it. I was completely hooked. I plan to get this book and read the whole thing.

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 12:55 pm by L_Therese.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Cjgarland89

The first ten of this book didn't draw me in, I don't read a lot of nonfiction or books about other cultures. I did find the initial observations about eye contact in Tokyo interesting because I didn't know that about Asian culture, but I won't be completing this book mainly because it does not interest me at all. I did notice that the OBC gave this book a 4/4 review, but that didn't change my mind on reading because once again it's not a topic that interests me. I didn't notice any spelling or grammar issues in the first ten.

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 1:00 pm by Cjgarland89.

ashley_claire

I'm not normally a non-fiction reader, but having spent a few months in Japan recently, this book instantly appealed to me as a way to re-live a bit of my experience. The OnlineBookClub review solidified that this is a book I need to get for my library. The writing is easy to read and makes it feel like someone is sitting in my living room and telling me stories of their time in Tokyo. This will be a great book to buy and read little by little, when I want to reminisce.

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 1:15 pm by ashley_claire.

smarter

Based on the cover and description of this book, I do not believe that I would have bought it because it's not typically a genre I read, because of this (and because I wasn't particually interested in the sample either) I will not be purchasing the book to read further. The book does seem to be professionally edited and I did not noticed any grammatical errors in what I read. As mentioned before, this isn't typically my genre - I don't really ever read essays, nor am I all that interested in Tokyo life - so nothing really stood out to me as far as picking out what I liked about the sample. I hate to be this way about any book that the author obviously put a lot of time and love into, but I can't help it if it's a subject that I'm not really interested in (even though I, too, love ramen). The book does have an official OnlineBookClub review, but I have not read it yet so it did not influence my decision not to purchase this book.

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 3:12 pm by smarter.

CataclysmicKnight

I've been intrigued by Japan ever since I became a hardcore gamer - between the fact that many SNES games (RPGs especially) came from Japan and the fact they sometimes referenced the culture - and this book already feels much like visiting would feel. The introduction and the bit of the first essay I read both really feel welcoming, and yet make that feeling of being an outsider clear to some extent. I'm often not a fan of essays, but this one is fantastic so far, so yes I think I'll be buying and reading this!

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 3:21 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, blurb, title, and genre, I would not pick this book up. I generally tend to read science fiction stories, crime and thriller books or mysteries, romance, young-adult, and other fiction genres. Although this book sounds very educational and informative and detailed about the Tokyo lifestyle, this type of genre is not something I usually go for. After reading the first ten pages, I have decided that I do not want to continue reading the book. The book does seem to be professionally edited, and I do like the author's writing style with the first person perspective and enthusiasm for Tokyo culture. However, this book is not for me.

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 6:43 pm by CrescentMoon.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read it; I seldom read non-fiction, and the blurb fell a little flat to me as it advertised the book as a simple informative book. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the actual content. I greatly enjoyed the writing style and the storytelling aspect, which pulled me in and made me feel as if I was reading a story, rather than reading an essay. The book also seems professionally edited; I did not read an OnlineBookClub review, but this did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 7:21 pm by psychopathycathy.

Serena [Poetree]

I don't typically like reading essays, but the cover, blurb, and positive reviews paint a positive image of this collection. The official OnlineBookClub review also highly praises it, though the fact that the author is not actually from Tokyo does cause some hesitation. I began to appreciate this perspective as I read the sample, though, as the author recognizes that his is an outsider's view, and doesn't necessarily try to take the "expert" approach. I especially enjoyed the first essay and its unique focus on eyes. It provided a good hook. As much as I liked the sample, I have precious little money to spend on books, so I probably won't be purchasing this one. However, if I happen to find it in the library, I just might have to pick it up!

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 8:55 pm by Serena [Poetree].

Gravy

For someone interested in Japan, or Japanese culture, this is a wonderful piece of writing. Eloquent and vivid, it's beautifully written.
As I am one of those interested, I find myself intrigued. However, this is not the right time, and I won't be finishing it, at least not yet. I would recommend it.
The cover is okay, not its greatest attribute, but it makes it clear what the book is.

I love the part in the sample about language, and how it's a dance. Very wonderful how the author made it so easy to visualize, and very apt. I'm not surprised that it received a full rating here, which isn't always something I can say.

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 9:17 pm by Gravy.

Kia

Based on the description of the book, I absolutely would have chosen to read this essay collection. Tokyo is such an interesting place and the idea of seeing it from an outsider's perspective is really great. I found the first few pages to be free from error and especially enjoyed the essay detaining the "language dance" the author has to engage in to decide which language to converse in. Normally I would buy the book and read it later, however I simply cannot afford it today, despite the generous discounted price offered by the author.

First Ten review added on September 5, 2016, at 10:51 pm by Kia.

hsimone

Based on the cover, title, and blurb, I would not have sampled this book. Learning about the Japanese culture is an interesting topic, and the reviews do look positive. The fact that there is a positive OBC review does sway my decision more into liking the book.

In this seemingly well-written book, I do enjoy the author's relaxed way of writing. It makes me feel like I'm right there with him. On the other hand, the beginning topic of asking Japanese people particular questions does not convince me that I will be continue. I became rather tired of reading this section. Therefore, I will not be purchasing this book due to lack of interest.

First Ten review added on September 6, 2016, at 3:08 am by hsimone.

truebookaddict

I was on the fence on whether to purchase this or not so I wanted to sample it first to see if I would like it. That I even considered buying it was because I enjoy reading about other countries and cultures, and I'm especially intrigued by Japan.

Yes, I will purchase and read the whole book. Upon reading the first ten (plus) pages, I found myself fully immersed in that which is Tokyo. I love the author's descriptive writing.

This collection seems professionally edited. I did not detect any typos or grammatical errors in the section I read.

As I said, I enjoyed the author's descriptive writing. I was transported to Tokyo as I read. I wanted to read more about how they manage tight spaces and everything else he will talk about in the essays. I do not feel this book needs any improvement.

This book was officially reviewed by OBC.

First Ten review added on September 6, 2016, at 4:40 am by truebookaddict.

Momlovesbooks

Based on the description of this book, I didn't think I would enjoy it. I read the first few pages and just couldn't connect with what the author was trying to get across. Not knowing the meaning of many words and having to look them up was distracting. I won't continue reading this one.

First Ten review added on September 6, 2016, at 8:43 am by Momlovesbooks.

anneloretrujillo

Based on the blurb, I wouldn't have read this book. Reading a book full of essays doesn't seem interesting to me. After reading the first ten pages, I felt the same way. When I started reading the first essay, it seemed kind of interesting. As the essay went on, I found my attention wavering. I liked the description, but I was not a big fan of the sentence structure. I felt that the sentences were long and slightly confusing. I also noticed a few grammar errors toward the end of the first essay. Most of these were in the use of commas. If you are interested in life in Tokyo and enjoy reading essays, this would be a great book for you. It just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on September 6, 2016, at 11:23 am by anneloretrujillo.

klbradley

I've always been a fan of reading books that involve other countries and lives outside of what I am used to. As essays on Tokto, I would say this contains several interesting stories. I found no editing errors so far.

First Ten review added on September 6, 2016, at 12:50 pm by klbradley.

Shelle

I can't say I've ever really had a burning desire to learn about the city of Tokyo, so the book likely wouldn't have grabbed my attention. However, I am glad I had the opportunity to sample it. I do like the author's writing style and how honest he is about not really ever fitting in in his adopted city. The book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on September 6, 2016, at 6:32 pm by Shelle.

Total ~ 28%

This book earned a score of 28%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 28% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Motions and Moments in their shelves?

21 members have Motions and Moments in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

bigirimanacelestin

3-Star Shelf

bookowlie

4-Star Shelf

That Writer Guy

Want To Read Shelf

Janetleighgreen

Want To Read Shelf

hojobj

Want To Read Shelf

lydialeigh71

Want To Read Shelf