Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on December 27, 2015, at 9:51 am by Scott.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Achieve Your Dreams: Why You Don't and How You Can

by Scott Hughes, A. Lynn Powers, Adam Buongiovanni

The First Ten

Because Achieve Your Dreams was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I would have sampled this book because of the author. In fact, I have already purchased and read this book a while ago and loved it! I loved the writing, the advices, and the message expressed in the book. Scott Hughes' supportive voice and enthusiasm made this an excellent read. The book may be short, but it is supremely inspiring. I enjoyed reading this easy-to-read book and recommend it to inspiring authors and all.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 10:02 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

The cover artwork has an attractive, serene quality. However, I think the author's name should be larger and stand out more. Frankly, I am surprised the second two names are in the same font as the author's name or even on the cover at all. The Amazon summary blurb has two parts that are attention grabbing - "80% of people want to write a book...90% don't" and "...the inspiration and information to make ambitious goals a reality." The last two lines of the blurb don't seem to belong in a summary blurb, since stating the people doing the editing and introduction doesn't do anything to entice people to buy the book. Since these names are already listed below the title, it is unnecessary to mention them again in the blurb. I enjoyed the beginning pages with the universal concepts of prioritization and sacrifice - choosing between buying a $3 coffee and investing that money, exercising and lounging around, etc. The sample pages caputred my interest since I like motivational books about self-improvement. Note: I already bought and read this book when it first came out, but I have tried to give my thoughts from the perspective of seeing the cover, blurb, and beginning pages for the first time.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 11:23 am by bookowlie.

L_Therese

I do occasionally read books that inspire the reader to do great things, but my favorite ones are those that show you the world in a new way and give you new standards by which to evaluate yourself and situations. I'm not sure this is that book. The introduction gives it high accolades, but with only thirty-odd pages, I'm not sure it can truly present a new paradigm. At another time, I might have chosen to read the whole thing, but as it happens, I am currently reading a book in a similar sub-genre, so I'm going to pass on this one.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 12:32 pm by L_Therese.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

CataclysmicKnight

I had been curious about this one since I first heard about it, and I wasn't disappointed in reading the first ten pages. It's written smoothly, and well edited. It's also incredibly short, so I'm already halfway through it, and I'll definitely be finishing it! The insight into depression from giving up dreams is frighteningly real.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 1:29 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

ashley_claire

This book has solid reviews and the writing is well done, perhaps slightly repetitive. The idea behind it isn't really new or ground-breaking, but the words provide some good motivation for those who may just need an extra push. This isn't the type of book that I would reach for and reading the first third of it didn't sway my opinion on that. This book is a short, inspirational read that would be ideal for those graduating high school or college.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 1:49 pm by ashley_claire.

Serena [Poetree]

Although I'm not a huge fan of self-help books, I'm intrigued by the Thoreau quote in the Amazon summary, as well as the beautiful cover design. The story in the introduction didn't grasp my attention (I'm not a sports person at all), and I did notice a few minor errors, among them being a comma where a semicolon should go. In the end, I'm still not hugely interested in reading this book, though I think that's a matter of preference rather than the fault of the author. I simply am very selective about the few self-help books that I do pick up.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 4:39 pm by Serena [Poetree].

Vermont Reviews

I did read the preview. At this time I have a lot of reading to do. So I will not be downloading the book.
I enjoyed the preview. I do like the cover. The book appears to be one that has been professionally edited.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 5:16 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Gravy

The cover is attractive and fitting, but I can't honestly offer an opinion on the writing, as the sample only included the introduction, and a quote.
As I don't like reading ebooks, I doubt I'll read this.

This isn't a genre I search out, so (aside from being a member of this site) I probably wouldn't have looked at this.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 5:32 pm by Gravy.

hsimone

I have actually read and reviewed this book prior to this program. The cover, title, and blurb are all inviting, especially since this is a topic that is relatable to all. In this well-written book, I really appreciate reading about a real person's dreams being crushed at such a vulnerable age because this is so realistic and it happens to so many people all over the world. I do not see any need for improvement. It was such a great book that I might have to give it another read!

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 5:35 pm by hsimone.

Kia

Based on the information given, I would have chosen to read this book. Now that I have read the first few pages, I absolutely will finish it. It is an interesting concept to write about why people give up on their dreams. I like how the Introduction is a quick story that captivates the reader. Honestly, I very rarely read the Introduction in a novel because it is more often than not extremely boring. But in this case I found it intriguing.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 6:48 pm by Kia.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled the first ten pages, I would not have picked up this book, simply because I usually do not read to-do or self-help books. However, I do think that the cover is very beautiful and it did capture my attention. Based on reviews, though, this book seems like a very light and inspiring read; based on what I read, I may add the book to my to-read shelf and read it eventually. I very much enjoyed the tone of the book and I believe it would make a nice, quick, read.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 6:54 pm by psychopathycathy.

Momlovesbooks

I purchased this book a few months ago and have already read it. It was a very motivational book. Anyone looking for encouragement to pursue their dreams should read this book.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 7:02 pm by Momlovesbooks.

CrescentMoon

Based on the title, blurb, cover, and reviews, I would pick this book up. At first glance, this book does seem like those motivational self help books and I usually don't read those too much. However, this one is different in that the blurb actually caught my eye. The blurb mentions the statistics of people who want to write a book and people that actually set out to write one. This is largely applicable to my own life because I do have story ideas that I really do want to turn into novels but haven't got the motivation to do, so it would be interesting to read this book. In addition, after reading the first ten pages, I can see that this book is well worth the read. It does seem professionally edited and I loved the opening vignette. It set a great tone for how to go about accomplishing a dream.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 7:34 pm by CrescentMoon.

anneloretrujillo

I hadn't really thought about reading this book based on the title and blurb, because it isn't the type of book I normally pick up. After reading the sample, I have changed my mind. I would like to finish reading the book, and I would like my dance students to read it as well. I did notice a missing comma in the introduction of the book, but that is the only error that I saw.

First Ten review added on August 29, 2016, at 7:54 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Rachaelamb1

I like the cover of the book because it is crisp and clean. This is a book I would normally read and one that I had already bought, but not read yet. I liked the first ten pages and will definitely be finishing the rest. I like that it is a book I can read quickly and still gain insight from. I am one of the 80% of people who want to write a book, and from now on I will be saying I am one of the 80% that want to and will write a book. This seems like an encouraging and motivational read. I also appreciate that it has been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on August 30, 2016, at 2:36 am by Rachaelamb1.

Cjgarland89

Being that this sample was only 3 pages there isn't a whole lot to say, other than this seems to be a great motivational book and can teach many people a smart lesson in life to be learned. I didn't notice any grammar or spelling issues so this appears to be professionally edited. Based on the title and the first few pages though I'll likely not be finishing this one, simply because I am not in need of the knowledge it holds.

First Ten review added on August 30, 2016, at 6:44 am by Cjgarland89.

klbradley

The first ten pages of this short book are already inspiring, and make me feel like there is so much more than I can acheive. All editing so far seems to be done well, and it seems like something I would enjoy reading. Also, with the short length, this seems to be an easy read that everyone could enjoy.

First Ten review added on August 30, 2016, at 8:35 pm by klbradley.

truebookaddict

Yes, I would have chosen to read this book because of the subject matter. I enjoy and get a lot out of books about going after your dreams.

I did buy it and I read the whole book. I read the mostly positive reviews on Amazon and that convinced me to buy the book.

The book seems to be professionally edited. No typos or grammatical errors noted.

I liked the message in this book. I really identified with it. I've always believed in the importance of pursuing our dreams and it's something I encourage in my own sons. The book was very motivational and I intend to refer back to it often.

I did not see that there was an OBC review. The absence of an OBC review had not bearing on my decision.

First Ten review added on August 31, 2016, at 6:52 am by truebookaddict.

jamesabr

If I didn't read the sample, I would have sampled the book. This is due to the fact that its OnlineBookClub review was very positive concerning its content and formatting. I will definitely read the entire book because it is very positive and forthcoming with its information and attempts to appear realistic through statistics and figures while maintaining an optimistic tone. So far, I like Adam Buongiovanni's introduction the most out of the book, because it places the book's purpose into perspective before the reader can judge whether the book's worth. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2017, at 2:18 pm by jamesabr.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I really liked the cover of this book and the blurb did a good job of making me interested.
After reading the first few pages, I can say that this book is well-written and professionally edited. I liked the quote at the beginning but the Online Book Club review states that there is not a lot of new information in the book so I have decided not to buy it today.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2017, at 4:11 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Kdonegan91

The cover is beautiful and caught my attention right away. Also, the sample was edited well and the format was easy to follow. However, I am not a fan of self-help books and this one is not an exception. I do agree that we all need to follow our dreams and we shouldn't let the fear of failure or other issues get in our way. I am just not in need of this type of book or the information it contains.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2017, at 4:44 pm by Kdonegan91.

chocomeiske

I'm not one for self-help or motivational books since I don't think there are any blanket solutions so I wouldn't be interested in something like this. The sample was quite short but reinforced my initial thought that this is not my thing. Persons who like motivational books should check this out though since it's so short. I didn't encounter any editing issues.

First Ten review added on January 2, 2017, at 6:12 pm by chocomeiske.

MarisaRose

The sample was too short! I enjoyed reading the introduction by Adam. I thought it was well written and said a lot in only a few words. I'm interested to read the rest of the book; I only wish the sample was a little longer so I could have sampled the other authors writing styles. (I do not have KU so could not read more without purchasing.) I'm not typically a fan of inspirational books; they just don't interest me in general. However, I like that this book is short and would make for a quick read. I have decide to purchase "Achieve Your Dreams" becauS I was hooked by the introduction and know I will be able to finish this book quickly. I did not note any editorial mishaps. Further, the OBC review was well written and helpful in choosing whether or not to sample this book.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 10:12 pm by MarisaRose.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it, since I usually read romance or humor books. I liked how the book began with the description of a personal experience. The quotes in the sample were relevant & inspirational. While the sample was easy to follow overall, I found myself having to re-read a quote to be able to understand it. The book has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. However, as mentioned in the review, the content of the book may not be 'unique'. The book seems to be professionally edited. Since the book is short & can be read quickly, I think I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 10:59 pm by AA1495.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would've read this book because the plot of the book sounds like dreams and it's in depth with a lot of stuff, and that's not my cup of tea. I am not going to read this book because there wasn't much of a sample to read from. It seems like it was professionally edited as shown by the text. I liked how the beginning very much, it was interesting and it would catch a reader's attention. I didn't see a review, however I don't think that would've affected my decision very much, because I already know the plot.

First Ten review added on January 4, 2017, at 12:36 am by jungkookblog.

Total ~ 60%

This book earned a score of 60%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 60% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Achieve Your Dreams in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Achieve Your Dreams in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ct-95

4-Star Shelf

Fran

3-Star Shelf

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

sbanks147

4-Star Shelf

enshafer2

4-Star Shelf

Percarus

Currently Reading Shelf