Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 30, 2015, at 2:32 am by pallavi garg.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781517473648

The Dancing Barber

by AC Michael

The First Ten

Because The Dancing Barber was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

At first glance, it didn't seem like something I would be interested in, but the official review convinced me to take a second look. The reviewer mentioned the similarity to "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Book Thief", both books that I loved, further piquing my curiosity. I love the cover and find the blurb satisfactory. The opening pages, describing the drunk and his cat, drew me in immediately. As I liked the writing and enjoyed the sample, I will read the balance of the book eventually.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 10:03 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

jamesabr

If I had not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read The Dancing Barber based on the OnlineBookClub review. It was a glowing review, highlighting the characters and implementation of Ukrainian history within the story's plot. I will read the entire book in the future because I have been charmed by the story so far. The image of a man in a well-tailored suit lying faced down in the gutter was worrisome at first (I expected him to be dead), but after realizing that he was likely just a clumsy owner of a Russian Blue, I felt entertained. My favorite part so far is the image of the men being able to gossip just as much as the "headscarf-wearing, middle0aged Ukrainian women". This image reminds me of the men who gossip in my hometown. The book appears to be professionally edited; there were no typos or grammatical errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 10:47 am by jamesabr.

bookowlie

The summary blurb gave me a good sense of what the book is about, and it appeared to be professionally edited. I like funny books so I found the cover very appealing, with the scissors and moustache under the title and an artistic font used for the title. I can't say I loved the beginning pages. There is an overload of description which made it a slow read. I also noticed on Amazon that the book is 677 pages...too long for my reading tastes. Although the OBC reviewer raved about the story, the overly descriptive writing style and long length of the book makes me less interested in reading it.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 10:59 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art of this book and the title is interesting, they make me want to find out more about the plot.
After reading the first few pages, I can say this novel is very well-written and professionally edited. The Online Book Club review was very detailed and painted the book in a good light which made me decide to download the book.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 11:54 am by Sarah_Khan.

James Craft

This book is one that I will certainly be picking up and continuing after today. The cover is interesting and completely unique, and as soon as I opened the book up I was impressed by the quality of the writing, editing, and formatting. By the third page I was hooked and the fact that it was free, had a good blurb, and great cover was why. One review on amazon was a ding against it, but I would rather make up my own mind about it anyway. I'll read it because it is interesting.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 12:07 pm by James Craft.

Vermont Reviews

There will be some heavy explaining to do when the twins Zena and Lenka arrive. Halyna has them believing something that is not true. AC Michael's book The Dancing Barber preview was good enough to make me want to read the whole story. One of my favorite lines "... A tendency to embellish the truth so much that it was only a hair's breath away from becoming a fib.". Great story with great characters. It will be one of the ones going onmy 2017 reading list.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 4:13 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb I don't think I would pick this book up. I'm not really interested in ballet or ballerina stories. I like the title and cover as I do think they are fitting for the book, genre, and the storyline. After reading the first ten pages, I don't think this book is for me. I am not the target audience for this.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 5:17 pm by CrescentMoon.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book based on the cover and genre. I don't really like historical fiction. However, the title and the OBC review had me intrigued because of the dance element. I am a dance teacher, and I usually like to read about dance from different points of view. After reading the first ten pages, I don't think I'll be finishing this book. I liked the story, but I wasn't a big fan of the way it was written. The author used a lot of ellipses, but it didn't really seem like anything was being omitted. There were also a lot of underlined words, but I'm not sure why they were underlined. I wish I was as interested in the book as I had expected. Sadly, it's just not the book for me.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 6:20 pm by anneloretrujillo.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. I really love the cover, but the blurb fell flat. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I was a little confused about the setting/plot, but I liked the writing style. The paragraph that begins with "It was a little-known fact..." should be indented, and there seems to be some formatting error with the Bible quote at the beginning of Act I. I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 6:43 pm by psychopathycathy.

mratdegraff91

The cover is adorable. Anything with cats catches my attention, but after reading a short description of the book I realized that a cat is in it, but it is a barber and ballet dancer named Tara. The book is separated into acts as if it were a screen play. Sampling the book gave me a view of what it would be like to read. It seemed that it would be a great story and appeared to be professionally edited. The OnlineBookClub review mentions a few errors in the book further in and describes it as having a great plot and character development. Unfortunately, this does not seem like the type of book for me in that I struggle to read books written as screen plays.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 7:57 pm by mratdegraff91.

L_Therese

The cover of this book is awesome. I love the expression on the cat's face. However, it didn't make me think historical fiction at all, and when I read the plot description and review, it didn't suggest what I read about there. It was difficult to understand the plot in this book. There seemed to be so many, and no single plot line appeared to take precedence. It made it hard to picture the book in a way that would be continually gripping. After the first ten pages, I still don't have a very clear idea who any of the characters really are, and I'm not sure I'm really all that interested. I'm going to pass on this book.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 9:30 pm by L_Therese.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. While the title & cover are interesting, the plot doesn't seem like one I would usually read. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I liked the humor in the sample. Further, I liked the description of the cat. However, I thought that there were many descriptions in the sample. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has two favorable Onlinebookclub reviews. While I'm sure fans of historical fiction will like the book, I will not be reading it further.

First Ten review added on January 7, 2017, at 11:02 pm by AA1495.

Gravy

While not (in any way) my typical genre, this pulled me into the story and, especially, the characters. Okay, I'll be honest, mostly the cat. From the moment I read how indignant he was... It was just the perfect note. I can only assume the rest of the book is as entertaining.
I did not notice any errors. However, the use of underlining, as apposed to italicizing, put me off a bit, but that's just superficial.

This cover is very humorous, and the cat is a perfect choice.

Sadly, due to my not reading ebooks, I cannot answer yes, nor can I expect to get my hands on a physical copy. I don't plan to finish this.

First Ten review added on January 8, 2017, at 1:51 am by Gravy.

jungkookblog

The cover caught my attention. It looks like a great book filled written with humorous ideas. I will read this book because the details have caught my attention in this book. It's very detailed and it satisfies the reader. It seems professionally edited. There seems to be some thriller with humorous intentions, and those are some good combinations. I have not seen a review, but I don't think it change my decision very much.

First Ten review added on January 8, 2017, at 1:57 am by jungkookblog.

chocomeiske

How cute is this cover? I get a cosy mystery feel from it and after reading the first ten pages, I must say this will be added to my TBR. I love the author's descriptive writing and I was immediately drawn into the story. It also appears to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on January 8, 2017, at 10:09 am by chocomeiske.

hsimone

I love the cover, the title, genre, and the blurb. However, what would have made me sample this read would have to be the two positive OBC reviews of this historical fiction. Based on the bit that I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really like the tie-in with the cat; it adds a little humor and lightness to the read. While reading, I did question what the word 'durak' meant since it was mentioned a couple of times. I ended up finding the definition, but maybe a quick definition would be beneficial for readers who don't know this particular rule for the card game? Overall, since the book has been highly rated by two OBC reviewers and I do like the author's writing style, I do plan on giving this full read.

First Ten review added on January 8, 2017, at 3:35 pm by hsimone.

Kdonegan91

Although the cover is funny and the title is unique, the story just did not keep my intrigued. The well-written OBC review made me excited to read the first ten pages. However, after reading the first ten pages, I was disappointed. I did not like the style of writing and it was a chore to finish.

First Ten review added on January 8, 2017, at 6:24 pm by Kdonegan91.

MarisaRose

After seeing the official OBC review awhile back, I was immediately intrigued by "The Dancing Barber." After sampling the book for this program, I couldn't wait to finish this book! I read well past the required ten pages for this program. I greatly enjoyed the author's prose as well as the plot. I was hooked right from the beginning. I can't wait to finish this book! I saw no editorial mishaps in the portion I've read thus far.

First Ten review added on January 8, 2017, at 9:07 pm by MarisaRose.

CataclysmicKnight

I was sold on trying this book out the second I saw the title and cover! The writing has a mix of intrigue and humor with a period piece style that had me very curious what was going on by the end of the first ten pages, but it was only near the end of those ten pages that I got a bit hooked. However, it's a bit on the long side for me (677 pages), and I'm not hooked enough to be sold on such a big book.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 3:10 am by CataclysmicKnight.

klbradley

I have to admit that the cover alone on this one is enough to make me curious. I am also a fan of historical fiction, so this does sound promising. I liked that the first page and really the first sentence jumped straight into the story line, depicting a body lying in the gutter. I'll give this one a chance and see how it goes.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 5:54 am by klbradley.

Cjgarland89

At first glance the cover of the book caught my attention because it was humuorous. After reading the two OBC reviews I was confused as to why the author chose that cover in particular because it didn't seem to fit with the story. After sampling the first ten I wouldn't finish reading this book. The format is a little strange and I couldn't really get into the plot line of the story. The OBC review helped understand that, but I don't think this book catches my attention enough to want to finish it. It is written well, but no visible errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 6:41 am by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

I was immediately interested in reading/sampling this book upon seeing the cover and then reading the description, and the rave editorial reviews on Amazon. I definitely would have chosen to read this had it not been part of this program.

The book was free so I did download it, and I will read the whole book eventually. The first ten plus pages was an intriguing character study right off the bat.

The book seems professionally edited. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

As I said, right off the bat there is an amazing character study. Then we proceed to an introduction of even more interesting characters, not to mention the cheeky cat. If the book continues in this vein, it promises to be a great read.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 7:28 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 50%

This book earned a score of 50%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 50% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Dancing Barber in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The Dancing Barber in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

gali

Want To Read Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

hsimone

Want To Read Shelf