OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.3 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on October 25, 2015, at 1:47 am by hsimone.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Get on Board Little Children

by Victoria Randall

The First Ten

Because Get on Board Little Children was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

bookowlie

The summary blurb appears to be professionally edited and gave me a good idea of the plot. I liked the cover artwork, especially the way the title is displayed. The beginning pages are well written and Sophie seems like an interesting character. That being said, I don't care for dyspotian fiction so I am not likely to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 10:17 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Momlovesbooks

I have previously read this book and the rest of the series! I really enjoyed it. The characters are engaging and the author did a great job of depicting a future society in turmoil.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 12:24 pm by Momlovesbooks.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Sarah_Khan

The title of this novel is interesting but I think the cover art could use a little more help in making it look professional. The blurb was well-written and accurately described the plot.
After reading the first ten pages, I was hooked. This book is well-written, professionally edited and I really liked the author's way of writing, it was easy to read. Since this book is short and free for today, I intend to read it all.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 1:11 pm by Sarah_Khan.

chocomeiske

This is not a book I would have considered if not for this program since neither the title nor the cover appeal to me.
Having read the first ten pages, I am once again reminded never to judge a book by it's cover! The concept of of a system where births are regulated to the point that without a license, one would be commiting a felony to have a child, is intriguing especially since it seems like something that could really happen.
I loved the opening poem and the whole idea of this world where it seems that everyone is under constant surveillance. This should make for an interesting addition to the Dystopian genre.
I didn't encounter any apparent editing issures wihin these first 10 pages.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 2:13 pm by chocomeiske.

CrescentMoon

I think the title is very fitting for what the book is about. I am a fan of dystopian novels so I probably would pick this book up out of curiosity. I don't think I will continue reading however after reading the first ten pages. I do think this story is very unique especially amongst the dystopian novels so I give kudos to the author for that. However I am not really interested in this kind of dystopia world so I will not read the rest.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 2:56 pm by CrescentMoon.

gali

I was hooked by the book after reading the official review. The cover is lovely and the blurb concise. The idea that people can not have children without a reproductive permit interests me. The opening lines, telling about Sophie discovering her unlawful pregnancy and thinking what to do about it, drew me in. I find the concept very intriguing and I love Dystopian tales! I enjoyed the sample and downloaded the book. I intend to read the balance of the book eventually.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 3:05 pm by gali.

L_Therese

This book sounded really interesting from the get-go. The cover is fascinating and seems relevant to the plot. The title seems to link the book's plot to previous eras of injustice in the US. Since we've already seen a one-child policy in China, and over-population is a very real problem globally, this dystopia is not unthinkable. After reading the first ten pages, I just kept reading. I didn't want to stop, so I'm not going to. The story drew me in right from the beginning, and I really want to know what happens next.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 3:45 pm by L_Therese.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. The cover didn't interest me. Having read the sample, I found the plot interesting. I liked the fact that the book has a strong female character. However, I thought that some descriptions were excessive. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. Due to the interesting plot and favorable review, I think I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 4:37 pm by AA1495.

Vermont Reviews

Victoria Randall in today's book of the day Get on Board Little Children has shown her readers the possible future. When permits are required in order to have a child. The cost for a permit $160,000 dollars. The penalty for not having a permit. The government takes the child and places him/her in a labor camp to do the work the government needs to have done. My interest was peaked by the preview. The reviews show that most readers are very happy with the book. I look forward to finding out how Sophie and Joshua end up. Will they be able to get the permit? Will the government take the child... or will they go south of the border? Looking forward to finishing this one. I did download the book.

Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 8:58 pm by Vermont Reviews.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would have sampled this book based solely on the OBC review. The genre isn't one that I like, but the review made it sound interesting. After reading the first ten pages, I will be finishing this book. I liked that the book started off with a poem. I'm also still really interested in the concept. I've had many discussions about requiring permits to have children, so this book is definitely something intriguing for me. It also seems to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 24, 2016, at 11:32 pm by anneloretrujillo.

amybo82

This is not a book I would have selected to read based on the book's description and other reviews. However, the Online Book Club review was very persuasive! I could tell the reviewer really liked the book. I like some dystopian fiction, but I usually get bored with it pretty quickly. While I like the idea of a strong female lead, I am not as interested in the idea of having children. The first ten pages of the book were very well-written. The descriptions were clear enough to give you a good picture of what was happening, but they weren't so detailed that they were burdensome. Intrigue was beginning to build, and the author did not waste time getting into the main storyline. Overall, though, this is still not a book that I plan to continue to read. I am not dedicated to the storyline, and I didn't feel a sting connection with the book. I have been moving away from dystopian fiction. I think this book and the others in its series will be very popular among fans of series like Hunger Games, but I also think it will appeal to general fiction readers who do not identify as sci-fi readers because the story is focused on relatable characters who have a lot in common with regular people.

First Ten review added on November 25, 2016, at 8:32 am by amybo82.

Kdonegan91

While the title left me intrigued, the cover was not eye-catching. After reading the review and first ten pages, I am not interested in this book. I am not a fan of sci-fi books and this book has not changed my mind.

First Ten review added on November 25, 2016, at 1:16 pm by Kdonegan91.

klbradley

I love the idea behind this book, in that there are laws regulating if you can have children or not. I feel like I could really relate to the main character, in that I would do absolutely anything to keep my child. I already downloaded my copy and am looking forward to reading it.

First Ten review added on November 25, 2016, at 2:49 pm by klbradley.

MarisaRose

If I had no sampled the first ten pages of "Get on Board Little Children" 8 would have considered reading it. The concept of the novel seems interesting and I am a fan of dystopian stories. After reading the first ten pages I am intrigued and want to know more about this dystopian world as well as the main character Sophie. I wonder if Sophie will try to get a license so she can keep the baby or maybe she will try to hide the pregnancy. I think the book is well edited and the writing is good although possibly a little bland and straightforward. I downloaded this book for free and although I do not plan to continue reading it right now, I will keep it in my kindle and most likely will read it in the future. I am not going to finish reading it now because I have so many other books on my to read list and although this one sounds interesting I didn't think it was exciting enough to bump to the top of my list. I did see the official OnlineBookClub review for this book.

First Ten review added on November 25, 2016, at 4:05 pm by MarisaRose.

Rachaelamb1

The cover does not give me a good feel for the book. I loved the description and OBC official review. The first ten pages immediately drew me in and I am intrigued to find out what happens next. Definitely plan to read the rest of the book. It seems well-edited.

First Ten review added on November 25, 2016, at 8:35 pm by Rachaelamb1.

jungkookblog

I dont think i would've read this book based on the cover, title, etc. because the cover doesn't appeal to me. I am going to buy the book because the plot seems really amazing. It did change me from my original guess because I thought this book would evolve around children, not a teenager. It seems like it was professionally edited. I love how the author gave it some kind of a backstory. Something that could be improved is more detail around the whole story. I did not see a review, and that has not affected my decision.

First Ten review added on November 25, 2016, at 11:07 pm by jungkookblog.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I didn't think this book was something I'd like. After sampling and seeing the OBC review I have changed my opinion. This concept is something I haven't seen before and really something I think could be something in the distant future to happen. I didn't see any errors and the author really did a great job with this book. The review definitely influenced me to want to purchase and finish this book.

First Ten review added on November 25, 2016, at 11:16 pm by Cjgarland89.

Gravy

This storyline interests me, but I really prefer the plausibility factor to be spot on. The sample didn't offer enough detail to flesh out the plausibility for me. Aside from that, everything was nice: the characters were believable, the dialogue was well done, and the story was very well set up before the end of the sample. I'm considering continuing with this, but I can't say a definite "yes" at this time.

First Ten review added on November 25, 2016, at 11:28 pm by Gravy.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the book sample, I would have read it; the premise is extremely interesting! Reading the sample did not change my mind. Also, I think the first paragraph of the blurb on Amazon should end with a comma - just a sidenote. The sample was very intriguing - I enjoyed the pace at which the book moved so far, and the writing was very engaging. It was also professionally edited. I did not read an official review, but this did not affect my opinion.

First Ten review added on November 26, 2016, at 12:51 am by psychopathycathy.

CataclysmicKnight

I LOVE a good dystopian story (the Bioshock games are some of the best stories I know), and the cover/title SCREAM dystopia, so I was intrigued right from the get-go. The book so far does a great job balancing big brother's intrusion everywhere and crazy-yet-believable plot with our current, ordinary lives. It's also written in a very smooth, easy to read way that's well-edited. I'll definitely finish this one!

First Ten review added on November 26, 2016, at 1:57 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Total ~ 65%

This book earned a score of 65%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 65% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Get on Board Little Children in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Get on Board Little Children in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

gali

Want To Read Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

bluemel4

Want To Read Shelf