Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.6 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on September 25, 2015, at 11:11 am by Scott.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781785078323

10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget

by Scott Hughes

The First Ten

Because 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

It isn't a genre that I normally gravitate to, but I got the book a while ago because of its writer. I am not the intended audience for this book, not being an author nor interested in being one, but I was curious about the process of publishing. The cover is nice and the blurb concise, though the lines in it are too spaced out. The sample starts well, with the writer introducing himself and then moving on to the plan itself. I have read the book and recommend it, as it provides great tips about self-promoting and self-publishing.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 10:21 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

James Craft

I will definitely continue reading this after getting a copy today. It looks to be full of some great information and a solid plan for promoting a book, and that is something I would like to get into one day so hopefully this will help me set up and design a career for myself in the long run. Even if I never flip the switch to actually write my own book, though, I can say that this is a great thing to have on hand for learning any kind of promotion (even blog posts, etc). The blurb is simple, short, but conveys the main idea of the book, and the opening pages are clean and inviting with a lot of good information. It also isn't too long, so I'm guessing I'll finish it in only a day. Some of the reviews note that the information is very basic, but I think that speaks to a positive rather than a negative because it is geared toward new authors just starting.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 10:22 am by James Craft.

bookowlie

I already read this book last year, but I will still give my thoughts about the Amazon blurb and sample. The summary is well-written and gives a clear idea of what the book is about. I liked the introduction very much as it is written in a coversational style with relatable info about how the publishing industry has changed. I like that the book is formatted as a series of steps. This way you can go back and reread certain sections when you are ready to market a book. The beginning pages have a nice flow with a touch of humor that made me want to keep reading. Although I am not an author, I still liked the helpful marketing tips and straightforward writing style.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 11:12 am by bookowlie.

Vermont Reviews

I purchased this awesome guide in August of 2016 and have used some of the information to promote my books. I found it well written and the information to be of use to anyone who has written a book. Scott Hughes has done an awesome job of getting this information out to those who need it.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 12:17 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Sarah_Khan

If this book was not part of the BOTD program I would not have picked it up because it is a non-fiction book that does not relate to my life right now. I think the cover art and the title are both average and the blurb is adequately written.
After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this book is professionally edited and well-written. I think this book has a lot of important information for authors, but since I have not written a book or plan to in the near future, it just is not for me.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 2:19 pm by Sarah_Khan.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover of this book. It's really relevant for what it's about. I don't think I would pick this book up though because I'm not the target audience as I am not writing any books myself. After reading the first ten pages, I do think the advice and simple writing style is good advice and useful for people who are planning to promote their own books. However, I am not the target audience for this.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 2:42 pm by CrescentMoon.

Momlovesbooks

I have previously read this book. I would recommend others read it also. It was informative and well-written. A book you can pick back up and refer to again again.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 3:20 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Shelle

I usually enjoy Scott's writing and was glad to have to opportunity to sample this book. This book is actually a short booklet and easily read in in 15-20 minutes. It outlines helpful steps to promote your own book, which is so important in today's self-publishing world. I appreciated Scott sharing his experience and how he learned from his mistakes.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 3:43 pm by Shelle.

chocomeiske

I don't think this is of relevance to me but I did set out to read the first ten pages and ended up reading the full book. I found the information within to be timely, set out in an easy to understand manner and I think authors would find this interesting and helpful in promoting their book. I think this book was professionally edited since I didn't encounter any editing errors.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 3:46 pm by chocomeiske.

hsimone

Everything about this book (the title, cover, blurb, genre, and reviews) is applicable to me, and even without this program, I would have sampled this short read. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. The author has an inviting and easy-to-follow writing style that can easily grab anyone's attention. To be honest, I think this is a great and very purposeful book that doesn't need any improvements. I have read this book before and fully enjoyed, and I think it's about time to give it another read.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 4:34 pm by hsimone.

jamesabr

If I had not sampled this book through the program, I would have sampled it due to the author, Scott Hughes. From what I could glean from his LinkedIn account and his work on OnlineBookClub, he is savvy enough with writing to trust with the publication of a book. I will buy and read the entire book, because the book presents his reliability well within the first 3 pages. The introduction was spot on in its establishment of credibility on the subject, and the first two steps are sensible in instructing the would-be author. I like the first step the most because it manages to establish a foundation for the rest of the steps. There were no grammatical errors or typos.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 6:07 pm by jamesabr.

mratdegraff91

The 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget by Scott Hughes has the perfect cover to match the title. It makes one think that it is entirely about writing and promoting a book. If I were interested in one day writing a book this would be perfect. The book is professionally edited, from what I read, and I like that the author, Scott, gets straight to the point. It seems organized and well planned out. I like that he states the primary purpose of the book right off the bat which allows readers to know if it is the book they are looking for or not. It did not have an official OnlineBookClub review, but this does not affect my decision in purchasing it. I would like to one day complete a book of my own and I feel that this book would be beneficial to me later on.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 8:22 pm by mratdegraff91.

klbradley

I've actually already read this one, and would definitely recommend it to authors looking to have their books promoted. Although I am not a writer, I read this one more so to get an understanding on the difficulties that writers face in order to get their stories to reach out to people.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 10:40 pm by klbradley.

jungkookblog

I don't think I am going to read this book because I'm not planning to write a book. I am not going to be reading this book because there's not really much of the sample to see what the idea of the book really is. It seems like it was professionally edited. Even though I don't have a sense of what the book is going to be about, I think the book has a great introduction that invites the reader to be more interested. I did not see a review, but I think it would be better if I saw one.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 10:58 pm by jungkookblog.

Kdonegan91

Firstly, I am not a writer and I do not aspire to ever be one. Therefore, I am simply not interested in the topic this book covers. I want to add that the book was edited well and the format was easy to follow.

First Ten review added on January 9, 2017, at 11:10 pm by Kdonegan91.

Gravy

I wouldn't read this, and don't plan to continue.
It's clear that the author knows what he's talking about, and what I read is informative and clear. I don't like the cover because of its generic style. I hate generic covers. I didn't notice any errors, and must assume the rest of the book is as helpful as the sample. I would suggest it to those who wish to promote their self published works.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 2:04 am by Gravy.

L_Therese

This is probably not a book I would have chosen to read if not for this program. The simple reason is that I am no author, so I don't need to learn how to promote a book. That said, the cover was on point, and the first ten pages were written with a humorous edge that kept me entertained. I won't be finishing the book, but if this were my industry, I would definitely be singing a different tune.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 3:04 am by L_Therese.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. As an aspiring writer, although this book does not fit the mold of what I generally read, I thought it would be good knowledge to have. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. Scott is definitely someone who has experience in this area, and the introduction was written in a very interesting style. Everything was professionally edited. I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 3:18 am by psychopathycathy.

Cjgarland89

Normally this isn't a book I would read, mainly because I'm not an author and don't plan to be one, I just love reading. But after sampling the first few pages I decided to go ahead and finish the book. It's not written with a lot of fluff, it's written from a real point of view and real words. I really enjoy Scott's writing and he has a way of pulling you in whether you want to be or not. This is a great book for people looking for tips, or just trying to be more informed on the marketing of books.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 6:52 am by Cjgarland89.

anneloretrujillo

I probably wouldn't have sampled this book based on the title, the genre and the blurb. Non-fiction isn't really my thing, and I haven't thought about writing a book since I was in high school. After reading the first ten pages, I will be finishing this book. I liked that it is humorous. It's not dry like most non-fiction books. I'm also really interested now on what the rest of the steps are. The book has had a ton of great advice so far. I also like that it is a short book. It will be an easy one to fit into my schedule. The book did seem to be professionally edited. I didn't think I would be as interested in this book as I was.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 3:29 pm by anneloretrujillo.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I haven't written a book, so I wouldn't need to read about ways to promote it. The sample made me curious about the 10 step plan. I like how the plan can fit into any budget. The sample was easy to read and understand. However, I think the book would attract more readers if it had a better cover. It seems to be professionally edited. I did not come across an Onlinebookclub review for the book, but I don't think that the absence of one affected my decision. I think I will read the book further, to know and understand the ten steps.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 5:43 pm by AA1495.

MarisaRose

I previously read "10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book." It was a quick, straightforward read with lots of good advice that I have passed along to friends and family. I chose to read the book prior to seeing it as part of this program because I am always interested to see what advice people have on the matter. As the book discusses, the publishing world has changed immensely over the past few years due to advances in technology and the emergence of social media and the ever growing internet. I was interested to see what pointers Scott had related to these matters and I was not disappointed. My favorite aspect of the book was that it was concise. There wasn't a lot of fluff surrounding the main points.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 9:18 pm by MarisaRose.

CataclysmicKnight

I've been curious about writing in the past (aside from reviewing). Whether it's more poetry, a novel or even writing in game instructions, cards, etc. it's something I've always been interested in. Even just 11 or 12 pages in (I couldn't stop myself from reading) I've already picked up a few good tips here, and the writing style is relatable, informative and entertaining. Add to that the fact there are only like 20-25 more pages in the book and that it was free, I'll certainly be finishing this book!

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 2:53 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Rachaelamb1

I like the cover for this book. I enjoy writing so this is definitely the type of book I would normally read. I have read this entire book and found the information helpful in understanding what sort of process authors need to take in order to market their book well. I did not see any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 7:33 am by Rachaelamb1.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled this with the first ten program, I would have chosen to read/sample this book. As an aspiring author with a novel in progress, I'm always on the lookout for books on writing/publishing to add to my arsenal.

This book was free. I downloaded it, and I intend to read the whole thing in due time. The first ten plus pages is very great advice indeed.

The book seems professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I really like the author's straight to the point, no nonsense stance. It is what any author/aspiring author needs to hear. The book business is tough and writers need to learn that there isn't any kid gloves handling in the process of writing and publishing a book. He completely captures this mentaility and the first chapter alone basically says, "No bullshitting around" when it comes to writing and publishing a book.

This book was not officially reviewed on OBC. The lack of such did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 8:22 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 76%

This book earned a score of 76%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 76% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book in their shelves?

More than 28 members have 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Scott

4-Star Shelf

ct-95

4-Star Shelf

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Carrie R

4-Star Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

gali

4-Star Shelf