Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.3 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on September 19, 2015, at 1:37 pm by bookowlie.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Behind Closed Doors (1)

by A.L. Smith

The First Ten

Because Behind Closed Doors (1) was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I have got this book already as well as its sequel. It seems like an important book with worthy themes. The cover is eye-catching and the blurb is short and to the point. Based on the sample it seems like a very well-written and intense story. I do not believe I will be reading the whole book though, as it is very hard for me to read about sexual abuse, especially regard to kids.

First Ten review added on July 25, 2016, at 10:22 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

hsimone

I have heard of this book prior to this program, and it fact purchased this book and its second already. I am excited to read this book because of the blurb, title, cover, reviews, and the first ten pages has me hooked and wanting more.

The book is mostly edited with some minor grammatical errors. For example, the following sentence: "In reality, I quit various other reasons.", it seems like the word, 'for' might be missing from this sentence. Also, in this sentence: "It paid the bills but I hated it.", a comma should be placed before the word 'but'. However, these do not deter me from giving this book a read.

My favorite part that I read was how the first character goes back into the past and lets the reader know what happened to her with her cousin, Keith. The topic of abuse is very realistic and one that people need to be aware about. The only improvement I see that can be made are those minor grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on July 25, 2016, at 10:24 am by hsimone.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

After reviewing the first ten pages I was impressed with the writing to want to finish the balance of the book. It is a subject that continues to prevail in our world. One of the main problems is that it is often kept a secret. The author does a great job with showing the readers through the dialog of the characters in the story what really goes on Behind Closed Doors. I like the cover and look forward to finishing the story. I did not find grammar problems or spelling mistakes.

Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on July 25, 2016, at 11:10 am by Vermont Reviews.

L_Therese

The more I get to know this book, the more I respect it. I can't really say that I like it, because even at ten pages in, this is heavy and heart-breaking stuff. However, from the creepy cover to the plot description, the book let me know that however emotionally difficult this read will be, it will show something very real through its characters. After ten pages, there are a few characters who are already becoming vibrant, and I care about them so much that it hurts a little. I definitely want to finish this book.

First Ten review added on July 25, 2016, at 11:12 am by L_Therese.

anneloretrujillo

I wanted to read this book just based on the review. After reading the first 10 pages, I decided it was definitely a book I wanted to continue reading. It was already interesting. I really liked that the story switches between the three girls. So far, there isn't anything that I could think of that needs work, especially since there were no grammar mistakes. I look forward to finishing the book.

First Ten review added on July 25, 2016, at 1:04 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Momlovesbooks

The title of this book led me to believe it would be a dark, intense novel. After reading the blurb, I knew it would be. I didn't think I would want to read this type of book, but read the first few pages just to give it a chance. From the beginning, I knew it wasn't the type of subject matter I want to read about. I noticed a couple of grammatical mistakes. I just didn't feel a connection to the characters. I don't plan on reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on July 25, 2016, at 1:35 pm by Momlovesbooks.

CataclysmicKnight

I really didn't know what to expect from the cover and title - my closest guess was a romance novel! How wrong was I?! I was taken rather aback that this was actually about people who suffered from incestual pedophilia. It's a subject that's essentially impossible for me to read, but I pushed through and gave it a shot. While the writing is fine and it's an important subject, it's 100% one I can't read about so I won't be finishing the book.

First Ten review added on July 25, 2016, at 1:37 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Shelle

The cover, blurb, and genre all paint a very clear picture of what to expect with this book. I find books about child abuse very difficult to read and likely would not have chosen to pick this one up. The sample I read was well-written and seemed easy to follow. The dialogue was a bit stiff and awkward in places. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error free.

First Ten review added on July 25, 2016, at 6:23 pm by Shelle.

Rachaelamb1

Because the cover makes me think of a horror story, this isn't one I would normally choose based on the cover alone. The description clears up any confusion about the type of story it is though. I have read (and loved) another book by this author already. I am happy to see that this one does not disappoint. The beginning draws you in immediately and touches on taboo subjects tactfully. The book appears to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on July 25, 2016, at 9:23 pm by Rachaelamb1.

truebookaddict

Yes, I would have chosen to read it based on it being offered for free, and because of the blurb and the positive reviews.

I'm planning on reading the whole book. The first ten pages were very engaging and set up empathy for the reader toward one of the main characters.

The book seems to be well edited. I noticed no typos or grammatical errors.

As I said above, I liked the way it was written in a way to invoke empathy from the reader. It fully engaged me and made me want to read more. Plus, this is an important topic that is not discussed enough. I like when difficult issues are addressed in novels. From the first ten pages, I could make no suggestion for improvements.

First Ten review added on July 26, 2016, at 11:12 am by truebookaddict.

Gravy

I couldn't get a feel for the story from the sample. It set much up, but left me with little interest to what happened next. It's not really a subject I'm interested in reading about.
The cover seems misleading, at least as far as the sample goes, but I have a notion the sample doesn't set up the actual feel of the book very well.
I found instances of missing words, which I can handle to a point, but there were several.
I would not have looked at this book, and I won't be reading it.

First Ten review added on July 26, 2016, at 2:00 pm by Gravy.

Judyk

Based on the blurb alone I would not have chosen to read this book as its subject matter hits a little too close to home. The book is well written, I feel like i could easily get to "know" the characters through their words and thoughts, and it appears to be professionally edited as well. Although I probably would enjoy the conclusion of this book I won't likely read the rest of the book because reading it makes me feel more than I am comfortable with.

First Ten review added on July 27, 2016, at 12:56 am by Judyk.

Total ~ 50%

This book earned a score of 50%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 50% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Behind Closed Doors (1) in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Behind Closed Doors (1) in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Scott

Want To Read Shelf

erasmus

Want To Read Shelf

Deee

Want To Read Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

bookowlie

4-Star Shelf

crazilydramatic

Want To Read Shelf