OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on September 16, 2015, at 11:40 am by Scott.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

For the Love of Suzanne

by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill

The First Ten

Because For the Love of Suzanne was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

L_Therese

Truth - I've already read this book when it was Book of the Month. My comments on the whole book can be found in that discussion. I went back to the first ten pages again for THIS exercise and pretended like I didn't know the rest of the story. The book's initial presentation encourages me to read it - with the exception of the brief excerpt included in the Amazon plot description. Time travel can be fascinating, and the author can potentially play with the culture clash that accompanied western expansion in the mid-1800s. For the first ten pages, the reader is meeting Suzanne, our heroine. I immediately cared about her as the book opened, and the author reveals a lot about her character in these first pages. The editing could use a little work, but there were no major errors that I saw. If I hadn't already read the book, after ten pages, I would want to keep reading and find out more.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2016, at 10:25 am by L_Therese.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I have read this book already and loved it! The book starts with an intriguing scene and just gets better and better! I enjoyed the book immensely and found it a great read. "For the Love of Suzanne" is a spellbinding western time-traveler romance with a paranormal twist, and I enjoyed it from the first word! The book was a page-turner and I found myself drawn in by both the plot and the characters. As you gathered, I loved the book and certainly recommend it!

First Ten review added on July 11, 2016, at 10:27 am by gali.

bookowlie

I already read this book when it was Book of the Month, but I will limit my my opinions to the Amazon summary blurb, cover, and first ten pages. The summary blurb captured my interest, with the time travel element and a bi-racial character who is distrusted by whites and Native Americans. One word, Chiricahua, was confusing; it would have been clearer to substitute/add a word with something more widely understood in the summary. I didn't care for the cover; it's a little cheesy and gives the impression of a hearts-and-flowers type of romance novel. The first ten pages are well written and flow well. However, I was uncomfortable with the harsh subject matter right from the start, with pregnant Suzanne being physically abused by her husband. There is also a little too much backstory in the first two pages about the woman's mother's remarriage and both families' opposition to the couple's wedding years earlier. It just seemed too in-your-face for this info to be in the first page or two. Still, I am interested in reading more of the main character's story after reading the sample.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2016, at 11:37 am by bookowlie.

Rachaelamb1

This book has a gorgeous cover and a decent description, but it was the Book of The Month discussions that made me want to read it. I don't usually read romance novels, but I do like the time-travel and historical aspect to this one. I enjoyed the first ten pages, although it does not start out happily. The beginning does seem a little slow and the dialogue sounds forced. I think if I hadn't heard such great things about it, I may not have given the book a second chance based only on the first ten pages. However, I am guessing it gets better once Suzanne goes back in time, so I will be reading more of the book.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2016, at 12:30 pm by Rachaelamb1.

CataclysmicKnight

I love the idea of time travel romance, and looked forward to getting started with this even though romance isn't always a genre I enjoy. It was hard to read at first - the writing is great and all, but the spousal abuse is always incredibly hard for me to read. I'm definitely glad it's resolved already! Things move by at a quick but solid pace, and as long as the writing keeps up after these first 10 pages I'll finish it!

First Ten review added on July 11, 2016, at 1:04 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Vermont Reviews

I enjoyed reading the first ten pages of this book. I found it to be well written with no errors or grammar problems. The author did a fine job with character development. The main characters Beau Dillion and Suzanne eloped to get married and now a few years later Beau has become mean and has been drinking and beating Suzanne. The story takes off at a fast pace and is wonderfully told. No spoilers here. Based on the pages that I did read I would read the balance of the book. I found the descriptions in the book to be my favorite part. I looked over the reviews of the book and most of the readers were very pleased with the book.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2016, at 3:56 pm by Vermont Reviews.

Gravy

I've seen a lot of praise for this, and I can believe it's all valid, though I wouldn't have given this book a second look. The cover fits well, and the sample seems well written, but I had an issue with some of the character interactions, they just felt false to me.
I don't think that I would read this, though if it were in my niche, I might feel differently.

Altogether I just feel like it's not for me, but others would eat it up.

First Ten review added on July 11, 2016, at 9:33 pm by Gravy.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Judyk

This story pulled me in from the very beginning and I read well past the first ten pages before I came up for air. I read a lot of romance novels so if I came across this book on my own I may have read it based on the title cover and blurb. However after getting started I will definitely finish based on the author's writing style, characters, and story line.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2016, at 12:12 am by Judyk.

truebookaddict

I probably would not have chose to sample or read this one because of the genre. I don't read romances novels, as a rule.

I probably won't read the whole book. Although I was enjoying the story well enough at first, the sudden shift into time travel (is that what it was?) really threw me.

I could tell this was professionally edited. No typos or grammatical errors detected.

I liked the story in the beginning. I liked how Suzanne stood up to her abusive husband. Then the shock of his sudden death, and though it was unexpected and sad, it was the realization that she was finally free of him. She would not have been (probably), if he would have lived. The story took a wrong turn for me with the sudden shift into a time travel episode, as I mentioned above. I just didn't feel like that was handled the right way. Maybe it's just me. The only improvement I could suggest would be to smooth out that little bump in the story (just from what I read in the sample), but that's just my opinion.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2016, at 12:14 am by truebookaddict.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Momlovesbooks

I read this book when it was book of the month. I'm captivated by anything that involves time travel. I would have read this book based on the title and description, even if it had not been BOTM. The characters were interesting, the historical aspects were well researched, and the dialogue fit the setting of the novel. It was a very enjoyable reading experience.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2016, at 11:08 am by Momlovesbooks.

hsimone

Based on the cover, title, genre, and blurb I definitely would have sampled this book. The reviews all look positive, and therefore, increases my interest of this book. In fact, I have read this book and enjoyed it!

Within sampling the first few pages, the book does seem to be professionally edited. My favorite bit of this book is the suspenseful and captivating beginning. I also feel the author begins to write about a character that some women can relate to – those in abusive relationships. At this point I the novel, I do not see any improvements that need to made.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2016, at 11:10 am by hsimone.

Shelle

I don't think I would have chosen to read this book based on the cover as it looks a little too "bodice-ripper" for my taste. However, what I read of the sample is a nice surprise as it's not at all what I expected. I like the author's writing style and the story seems intriguing. It appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on July 12, 2016, at 12:36 pm by Shelle.

Total ~ 83%

This book earned a score of 83%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 83% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has For the Love of Suzanne in their shelves?

More than 28 members have For the Love of Suzanne in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Scott

4-Star Shelf

ct-95

2-Star Shelf

Marbles

Want To Read Shelf

XweienX

Want To Read Shelf

saturday+deviant

3-Star Shelf

kat6496

Want To Read Shelf