Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on September 7, 2015, at 9:05 am by bookowlie.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781630475482

Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders

by Brian E. Forschner

The First Ten

Because Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

The title and blurb didn't grab me at first, especially when I saw it is a non-fiction book. I was afraid of a dry account of murders and was pleasantly surprised. After reading the sample, I was impressed. The narrative started well and I was instantly drawn into the story. The sample ended with a chilling scene, and it made me curios to found out what happened next. I have to say that the book has a very eye-catching cover. I would be interested in reading the rest, as the sample certainly piqued my interest.

First Ten review added on July 10, 2016, at 9:13 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance and Sci-Fi books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I thought that the characters' personalities were described well. However, I thought some descriptions were excessive. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. I'm sure people who like the genre would love the book, but it isn't for me.

First Ten review added on November 26, 2016, at 12:28 pm by AA1495.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

I got chills reading the blurb of this book, although I like murder mystery novels I typically don't read ones that are based on a true story.
After reading a few pages, I can say that this book is very well-written and professionally edited. This seems like a great book for fans of this genre but personally I found the content to be a bit too disturbing for me. So while I don't intend to read the whole book, I would certainly recommend it to fans of this type of novel.

First Ten review added on November 26, 2016, at 1:32 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner today's book of the day proved that the author has a true talent for writing a great story. Based on the preview that I read and the reviews from satisfied customers. I did decide to download the book and add it to my reading list. I more than likely will get to it in the new year.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 26, 2016, at 3:18 pm by Vermont Reviews.

chocomeiske

I love the cover and the title since I am intrigued by books about serial killers. This is a book I would naturally give at least a second glance and after reading the description, would be curious about.
Having read the first ten pages, I am curious to know how the story ends so maybe one of these days, I will read it. The OBC reviewer also gave a favourable review which convinces me that I would enjoy this book.
I liked that the story begun with a look into one of the victim's past, the author's great aunt Ada, and the sample is just enough to whet the appetite. It left me wanting to read the book to find out who, what and why.
I didn't come across any editing issues in the sample.

First Ten review added on November 26, 2016, at 3:32 pm by chocomeiske.

CrescentMoon

I definitely think the title and cover of this book are very appropriate and fitting for the story. I don't think I would pick it up because of the subject matter. Although I love reading crime and mystery I am very disturbed by rape. After the first ten pages I do think the story is well written and thoroughly researched. But I will not read the rest because I am not the target audience.

First Ten review added on November 26, 2016, at 4:22 pm by CrescentMoon.

MarisaRose

"Cold Serial" falls into one of my favorite genres, true crime, and for that reason, I would've at least sampled this book if I had not read the first ten pages as part of this program. I also found the blurb about the book really intriguing; I love that the author researched her heritage and that is where the idea for this book came from. After reading the first ten pages, I do plan on reading the rest of this book. I thought the beginning of the book really hooked me and I want to find out what happened to Ada and the other girls. From what I have read, this book looks well edited. The only thing I didn't love about the first ten pages was the writing style, I found the writing seemed a little flat and boring. I did read the Official OnlineBookClub review for "Cold Serial" and that review also made me more interested in this book than I would have been prior to reading it.

First Ten review added on November 26, 2016, at 5:17 pm by MarisaRose.

L_Therese

This book was appealing from the time I read the description. A well-executed true crime book tells the stories of innocents whose voices were silenced. In this case, the personal nature of one of the stories will hopefully only improve the meticulousness of the research and the compassion and respect of the storytelling. The reviewer had many good things to say about this one as well. When I read the first ten pages, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to cry or vomit, but once I started reading, I certainly didn't want to stop. I wanted to see justice done and the murderer apprehended. I've got to finish the book.

First Ten review added on November 26, 2016, at 6:48 pm by L_Therese.

jungkookblog

I think I would've read this book based on the cover, title, etc. because I love mystery personally. I am going to buy the whole book because the plot sounds so amazing! The whole story and how the author started it off is amazing. There is just enough background info, and it's pleasing to readers. It did not change my original guess that I would read the book, it just made me want to buy it more! It seems like it was professionally edited. I loved all the details in the book, and how there is just enough, not too much or too little. I don't think anything could be improved here. It's so amazing. I did not see a review, but that didn't affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 26, 2016, at 9:37 pm by jungkookblog.

Gravy

True crime is as far out of my comfort zone as it is possible to be. I actually considered skipping this one altogether.
With that cleared up, I found the sample very readable. I did wonder how much was creative license, as opposed to actual facts, but that's probably just me. The cover is very fitting, and I didn't notice any errors. I can't say how it compares with other books in the genre. I won't be continuing with this.

First Ten review added on November 27, 2016, at 2:14 am by Gravy.

hsimone

Between the captivating title, cover, blurb, well-rated reviews, and the genre, I would have sampled this read on my own. Though I don't think I've read a true crime novel before, the fact that the author used his genealogy as the inspiration for this book is something I am interested in learning more about.

Based on the bit I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I enjoy the author's writing style finding myself waiting with bated breath on what happened to Ada. Though, towards the very beginning, my mind felt a bit scattered, trying to piece the information provided together (what's the present vs. past, how they connect). However, once reading more, this part became clearer. Therefore, due to it being written in an interesting fashion with an important topic, I do plan on finishing this book.

First Ten review added on November 27, 2016, at 9:41 am by hsimone.

Rachel1019

It is super easy to figure out that this book is about a serial killer nicknamed Jack the Strangler fro the title and the cover art. I had never previously heard about this particular serial killer, but after reading the review it is easy to get a rough view of who the person was. I enjoy reading murder mystery novels, and the fact that this is based on a true story makes it hundreds of times more exciting. This is a book that I would love to finish reading. I want to know how it ends.

First Ten review added on November 27, 2016, at 2:10 pm by Rachel1019.

amybo82

Cold Serial is not the type of book I would typically pick up. I have a hard time reading about rape and murder, so I typically stay away from books dealing with those topics. The reviews and blurbs from other authors were glowing, and they definitely made me interested in at least giving the book a try. I also saw the Online Book Club official review for the book, which also helped heighten my interest. When I sampled the book, I was really impressed with the author's writing style. I found it to be really engaging and interesting. I automatically felt transported into 1900 at the family surprise party. Unfortunately, I just can't get past the subject matter, so I will not be finishing this book. I would definitely be interested in reading something else by this author.

First Ten review added on November 27, 2016, at 7:49 pm by amybo82.

Momlovesbooks

The description of the book made me feel I wouldn't enjoy it. Although I'm sure it was important for the author to share his story, I am uncomfortable reading about crimes against children. I read the first few pages and really wished that I wanted to read further. However, the nature of the book kept me from it. I won't be reading the rest of it.

First Ten review added on November 27, 2016, at 8:22 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Kdonegan91

Firstly, I can not wait to read this book. Not only is the cover eye-catching, but the title has me intrigued as well. After reading the first ten pages, I am even more curious to know what happens next. The author has me addicted from the first chapter.

First Ten review added on November 27, 2016, at 8:49 pm by Kdonegan91.

CataclysmicKnight

Real life crime novels are typically pretty rough for me to read, as it's rather frightening to think the tragic events that unfold actually happened. As such, I probably would've been quite hesitant to read this, based on the genre alone. The book started out much slower and less interestingly than I would've expected, but by the end of the ten pages the tension is palpable! The author does a fine job writing, particularly at the end of the first ten pages, but due to the genre I won't be finishing this one; it hasn't won me over quite enough to get me past that hurdle.

First Ten review added on November 27, 2016, at 11:43 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

anneloretrujillo

I wanted to sample this book based one the blurb and the OBC review. The idea of a narrative non-fiction was very intriguing, especially since it is a crime book. After reading the first ten pages, I will be finishing this book. I loved the style of writing, and I am still very interested in the concept. It also seemed to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 28, 2016, at 1:22 am by anneloretrujillo.

Rachaelamb1

From the title and cover I was not able to tell that this book is a historical story. The OBC review made me slightly interested even though I don't normally read murder mysteries. The first ten pages are well written and seem professionally edited, but the subject matter is too intense for me. I can't stand crimes against children and reading about Ada's death is too disturbing for me to consider reading further.

First Ten review added on November 28, 2016, at 2:49 am by Rachaelamb1.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. The blurb is extremely interesting in a creepy, horrific sort of way that arouses my curiosity. I did not change my mind after reading the blurb. The writing is engaging and tells the events like a story, and there is a sense of foreboding because we know what is coming. It was well edited, and I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on November 28, 2016, at 2:56 am by psychopathycathy.

Cjgarland89

I enjoyed this sample. I would have read it either way because I enjoy true crime and am familiar with the case. I found it fascinating that the author has a personal connection with a victim, as per the OBC review. The review added to my interest in the book as well. Although I love these types of books I won't be finishing this one due to a lack of time. The title is very clever and there weren't any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on November 28, 2016, at 6:07 am by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

I'm genuinely interested in reading true crime so I would have chosen to read this if it had not been part of this program.

The book was free so I did download it and I do plan to read the whole book eventually. As I said, I find reading about true crime interesting, and I have never heard of the serial murders chronicled in this book, so I'm looking forward to reading it.

I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors. The book seems to be professionally edited.

I really liked how we enter immediately into the story. After finding out in the prologue that one of the victims was the author's great aunt, then the first chapter starts right away with Ada Lantz's story. I liked the way the author tells about the surprise birthday party. He is showing the importance of family here which makes the search for Ada so frantic, and knowing what happens, incredibly sad.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on November 28, 2016, at 8:33 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 52%

This book earned a score of 52%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 52% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

bookowlie

3-Star Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

bluemel4

Want To Read Shelf