Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 17, 2015, at 8:16 am by katz123.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781534639669

Penny Maybe

by Kathleen Martin

The First Ten

Because Penny Maybe was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

klbradley

I remember reading the official review for this one a while back, and I was already interested. I'm not sure why I waited to read it, but I know now that I will. Sometimes, I find myself thrown off my Young Adult books, as they can seem a bit immature for me. However, this book received such a great review that I feel as though I can't miss this one!

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 10:34 am by klbradley.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

Penny Maybe by Kathleen Martin is a story that reminds me of some of the young people that I knew growing up. Being an orphan either because your parents did not want you, or that they had passed away put them in a position of living with foster parents. This book covering that subject does so in a manner that seems real. I read the preview and the reviews. The author does a wonderful job of portraying the life of an orphan. After reading the preview, I decided to want to finish the story. So I did download a copy to read.

The cover fits the story.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 11:35 am by Vermont Reviews.

bookowlie

The Amazon summary captured my interest and gave me a good flavor of what the book is about without telling too much. The blurb doesn't appear to be professionally edited as there is a missing period at the end of one of the sentences. I didn't care for the cover and have no idea what the picture is showing. The beginning pages are interesting and are written in a nice, conversational style. It felt like the main character was speaking directly to me. However, I don't think I am going to read the rest of the book because the subject matter is not my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 11:53 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would be in two minds about it. The title is intriguing but I didn't like the cover. Having sampled the book, I loved the plot and the protagonist. The author has described her personality and built her character very well. That is what I liked best about the sample. What I didn't like was the pace at which the plot was moving. The book has been written well and seems to be professionally edited. Further, it has received a favorable OnlineBookClub review. The sample left me curious about what happens to the protagonist and hence I will read further.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 11:57 am by AA1495.

Rachaelamb1

The cover does not excite me at all, but I like the title and the reviews all make the book sound awesome. Based on that, this is a book I would normally choose to read. I enjoyed the first ten pages and plan to read the rest of the book. The writing style hooked me immediately. I like the humorous and sarcastic tone that Penny has while telling her story. I did notice an error where the word "my" is used instead of "the". Also, there were a few sentences that were either phrased awkwardly or had misplaced commas.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 12:29 pm by Rachaelamb1.

Sarah_Khan

If this book was not part of the First Ten program I am not sure I would have gave it a chance. The first few sentences of the synopsis for the book were interesting enough to catch my attention but the rest seemed like a story I have heard of a million times before. After reading the first ten pages, for the most part I was pleasantly surprised but I found one spelling mistake (kilometers). The main character Penny seems to have a likable personality and after seeing that there was an onlinebookclub review that gave this book 4 out of 4 stars, I think I will end up reading the whole novel.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 1:07 pm by Sarah_Khan.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book due to its subject matter. The cover isn't very catching, and the blurb wasn't very inspiring. The official review had me hooked though, and the sample further strengthened my interest in the book. The sample was well written and I liked the writing. I felt connected to the heroine based on what I read and cared for her fate. It seems like a very touching and inspiring tale based on the sample and reviews. I downloaded the book and plan to read it eventually.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 2:24 pm by gali.

CataclysmicKnight

The insights and comparisons and descriptiveness in this book are awesome! That writing alone could have me finish the book, but then Penny herself is very intriguing. She seemed so innocent and sweet that she even had me fooled until toward the end of the first ten pages! I'll absolutely finish this one.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 3:52 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

easy_dc13

Since it was a Young Adult book, which I favored, I would have checked it out once I saw it. I did buy and am reading the whole book and it has been great so far. Books of this genre usually create the most relatable characters and no-BS stories so I really like that. There have been few, very minor typos but this has been a really good one that I can let it slip. When I have a hard time stopping reading, that's a good indicator of a a really good book and it doesn't happen that often so I would gladly recommend this one to all the other readers.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 4:00 pm by easy_dc13.

L_Therese

When I first considered the book, I was intrigued by the premise and by a character who would set such a unique goal, but I was also cognizant of its young adult audience. The review was very positive, but it didn't really help me make a preliminary judgment. After reading the first ten pages, I was delighted with the writing style. It was charmingly conversational. It seemed a very good fit for the character. Additionally, there was a realistic view of the foster system without becoming preachy or whiny. I do plan to finish this book.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 4:54 pm by L_Therese.

Serena [Poetree]

The cover suggests a contemporary, which is a hit-or-miss genre for me, so I don't think I would have been interested by it. Although the swimming theme in the summary doesn't intrigue me, the book does have very good reviews on Amazon. If there's an OnlineBookClub review, I couldn't find it. Penny is an interesting character, and the book is well-written with the exception of one or two errors (I noticed a questionable hyphen). However, I didn't find anything that piqued my interest in this contemporary, which I think is more my preference than a problem concerning the book. I don't think I'll finish reading it.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 4:56 pm by Serena [Poetree].

Kia

Based on the description of this book, I would have chosen to read it. It sounds like it will be an emotional novel about scripting your own fate. As someone who grew up in Ontario, I feel like I will be able to relate a little bit more to the main character swimming Lake Ontario. The first ten pages were not a disappointment. I found no mistakes, and will continue to read this book.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 5:34 pm by Kia.

Gravy

This story isn't something I would typically read (nor look at), but the sample has me interested. I won't be getting the book today, however, as I don't read ebooks. The cover is typical of the genre, and not a bad example.
There is a glaring typo in the blurb on Amazon, and several errors in the sample. I don't typically mind errors, but there were just too many, even for me. I would definitely suggest it be edited.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 7:35 pm by Gravy.

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, title, and blurb, I would probably not pick this book up. This book is part of the young adult genre, and although I do typically read young adult books, I don't think this one is for me. This book is also about foster care so I imagine there are a few emotional moments, and I have to be in a particular mood to read these kinds of books. After reading the first ten pages, I will not continue reading. The writing is straightforward and direct, and in the first person, and so it is believable for a 16-year old to speak that way. However, this book is not for me.

First Ten review added on October 3, 2016, at 11:36 pm by CrescentMoon.

Thimble

I like the cover of the book. It’s simple but still professional and matches the title well. Based on the blurb and reviews (including the Official OnlineBookClub review), I don’t think I would have gotten this book. I’m not usually into this type of genre. It looked like a good book, but not something I would normally be into. After reading the first 10 pages, I’m still on the fence about it. The characters are interesting so far and there’s a nice set up for drama and plot. I already got it for free, but I think I would finish reading it after I finish reading the other books on my To be Read list. I did notice an error where the wrong preposition was written, but other than that it looks to be professionally edited. My favorite part was the brief development of the three characters. I can tell there’s more to them than face value. I don’t think there is anything to improve. The book looks like a great book for its genre.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2016, at 12:06 am by Thimble.

hsimone

Based on the basic cover, cute title, genre (YA), and blurb, I most likely would have sampled this book on my own. The fact that there is a positive OBC review also helps in persuading me to read the first few pages of this read.

Within the pages I read, I found a minor error. For instance, in the second chapter, their is a period missing between the words, "mine" and "She" in the following sentence: "...her pillow onto mine She was stiff..." Other than this, the book seems to be edited well.

What I really like about the bit I read is Penny's voice. I feel the author has given this teenage girl a voice in which even adults can enjoy; truth be told, there are some teenage voices that aren't as pleasant. At this point, I'm not sure what I would change, I found myself just wanting to continue reading! Overall, based on the positive reviews and how likable Penny's voice is, I plan on giving this a full read.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2016, at 2:28 am by hsimone.

VinuW

I probably wouldn't have read the book if not for this program.The title was interesting, but I wasn't impressed with the description or the cover. It led me to believe that the storyline focused heavily on the emotional/spiritual journey of the protagonist. However, after reading the first few pages I realized that this might not be the case. The protagonist was well written and likeable, and the narrative voice was honest and amusing. I did come across a spelling error in location 107. Here the word "Dad" should be corrected as "Dan". The book was a lot better than I thought it would be, but I don't think I would enjoy reading it.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2016, at 4:13 am by VinuW.

Momlovesbooks

I usually enjoy reading YA novels before my teens read them. The OBC review portrayed it in a positive light. I read the first few page and knew I would want to continue reading this one.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2016, at 12:41 pm by Momlovesbooks.

anneloretrujillo

I wanted to read this book after reading the OBC review, the genre, and the blurb. It sounded like a very enjoyable book with a quirky main character. After reading the first ten pages, I saw that is exactly what it is. The main character shows her quirkiness right off the bat. I really liked the fluidity and style so far. It also seemed to be professionally edited. I will be finishing this book. It drew me in from the very first page.

First Ten review added on October 4, 2016, at 2:07 pm by anneloretrujillo.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read it. The cover here does not grab my attention, and the blurb leaves me a little confused as to what genre this book falls in, although the reviews are relatively high. After reading the sample, I would love to read this book. The writing is realistic and engaging, and the book seems professionally edited. The Official OnlineBookClub played a role in convincing me to read this book.

First Ten review added on October 5, 2016, at 2:50 am by psychopathycathy.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages, I would have chosen to read this book based on the blurb (it reminded me of a book I loved, White Oleander), and the positive reviews.

The book was free, thanks to the generous author so I did "buy" it and I do intend to read the whole book eventually. I enjoyed the first ten pages and even read a little past, as I was so engaged.

I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors. The book seems to be well-edited.

Penny was what I liked most. What a character! I really enjoyed hearing her relate her story and I felt so sorry for her about her parents. No child deserves to be treated that way. Penny is such a great character. She had me laughing out loud at the end of location 147. I won't repeat it here for those with sensitive ears, but Penny is a girl after my own heart.

This book was officially reviewed by OBC.

First Ten review added on October 5, 2016, at 5:03 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

Without the program I wouldn't have sampled this book. The cover didn't interest me and the title doesn't give away much. After reading the Amazon reviews and OBC review it definitely convinced me otherwise. The first ten of the book were difficult to put down. Penny is a very intriguing character and I think as the book goes on there will be much more to learn about her. Based on all information I will be finishing the book, I love YA books and this will be a nice addition. The first ten as free from errors and appears professionally edited.

First Ten review added on October 5, 2016, at 6:28 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 77%

This book earned a score of 77%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 77% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Penny Maybe in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Penny Maybe in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

TrishaAnn92

Want To Read Shelf

milkydwarf

3-Star Shelf

ananya92

4-Star Shelf

Majikalone

Want To Read Shelf

Maryannwrites-15

Want To Read Shelf

kimmyschemy06

Want To Read Shelf