Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.3 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on July 27, 2015, at 6:33 pm by ALynnPowers.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Playing Hurt

by Gerald L Nardella

The First Ten

Because Playing Hurt was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't my preferable read. The cover is nice, but the blurb is too short. Luckily, the official review shed some light on the book. The sample started with a football game, which failed to engage me. I am aware that it is just a small part of the book, but it didn't interest me enough to want to read the balance of the book. The sample then moved to Deanie, Brian's ex-girlfriend, but I still wasn't drawn in. I won't buy the book since it isn't my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 10:23 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Vermont Reviews

Today's book of the day Playing Hurt by Gerald L. Nardella shows the high school years back in the 60s. I can relate to the story as those are the years that I attended high school. And also played football. I thought the author did a wonderful job of characterization and showing the readers how life was back in those days. The fight after the last play of the football game gave the story a true hometown feeling. My reading schedule is currently overbooked and I will not be downloading this book. I would have purchased the book based on the preview.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 10:31 am by Vermont Reviews.

James Craft

I like sports books occasionally, and this one is also a period piece which is another thing I like. The cover is really good and feels vintage, and from the outset this looks like something I would want to read. The opening managed to hook me, too, which is another mark in its favor, and it got a positive review from online book club. All in all, this seems like an excellent and well-rounded package I will have to check out. Well done!

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 10:51 am by James Craft.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

ashley_claire

At first glance I don't know that this is a story I would pick up. This book is hard for me to give first impressions of because I really don't have a strong opinion either way. Even after reading the OBC review, it doesn't sound like a book I'm dying to read but I'm also not turned off by it. I enjoyed reading the sample, though the formatting for paragraphs needs to be fixed. The sample reminded me of one of my favorite shows Friday Night Lights. Honestly, that in itself is enough to sell me on a book. Aside from the formatting, I liked the author's writing style and am looking forward to finishing the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 11:51 am by ashley_claire.

CataclysmicKnight

I had no idea what this was about and I didn't look for clues before reading. The opening scene, the final game in a school's football season, ends up being incredibly wild! It also sounds like the book will explore some cool territory in the rest of the book, and the 4/4 review score is very promising!

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 11:53 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Scerakor

From the title, official review, blurb, and cover, this book definitely had an appeal. The characters seemed genuine and harkened back to those late high-school times when life was simpler (but it sure didn't feel that way at the time). I would have likely, having been given the exposure, considered the book on these points alone. The first ten pages did not disappoint either; Playing Hurt seems like an excellent book that was well written and edited. I loved the character development that was done in even the first few pages. The sample left me wanting more and hoping to see what was going to happen with this group of kids. Although probably not today, I will definitely consider buying and finishing this book it sounds like a fun story about interpersonal relationships and challenges in a earlier time. The official review got me excited for the story but did not affect my decision in any way.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 11:54 am by Scerakor.

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover of this novel and I find the title interesting. The book itself seems well-written and professionally edited. Personally, I did not find anything in the online book club review or the first ten pages that made me want to read the rest of this book. The plot is not interesting enough for me to commit to, therefore I do not intend to purchase it today.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 12:58 pm by Sarah_Khan.

MarisaRose

When I first read the official OBC review of "Playing Hurt" I was intrigued by the period setting and issues this book deals with. I also found the cover caught my eye; I think it nicely embodies the time portrayed in the narrative. Prior to sampling the book, I would have considered reading it on my own because of the plot synopsis. After sampling the first ten pages for this program, one thing really stuck out to me. The formatting was somewhat annoying; I disliked that each paragraph starts flush with the margin and is not indented as is usual. Further, the spacing is cramped and my eyes had a hard time following along from line to line. Other than the formatting, I thought the writing was solid; the narrative flows nicely. The dialogue seems realistic of teenagers and the characters themselves seem like they will become interesting as the story progresses. If not for the annoying format of the paragraphs I would strongly consider reading the rest of this book. However, I know I will be constantly irritated by the muddled look the formatting creates and thus I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 1:04 pm by MarisaRose.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. The sample was easy to read and follow. The scenes described seemed realistic. However, I thought that a few paragraphs were very long and should have been broken down into smaller ones. I did not notice any obvious grammatical errors. The book has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since I prefer romance books, I will not be purchasing this book today.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 3:46 pm by AA1495.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think this book is for me. It sounds like a fun quick and mindless read but I'm more into other genres. After reading the first ten pages, I don't think I will continue reading the rest. Mostly because I want to read more in depth books and this is more like a fun page turner.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 5:07 pm by CrescentMoon.

Bfrisco

I might have looked at this book based on the title, given how ambiguous it sounds. I honestly expected some kind of crime novel based on the title and cover. Upon reviewing the description and reading the official onlinebookclub review, I realize it is actually more of a historical fiction/slice of life story. I did not notice any errors when I read through, but the reviewer did mention some errors throughout the book. I would not continue to read this book. I have no interest in this genre, and I don't enjoy sports, so I was put off by the beginning. I think someone interested in this time period and interested in this genre would find this book very engaging, however. I felt the prose was easy to follow, which would make it an excellent read for someone interested in it.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 6:23 pm by Bfrisco.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read this sample, I would not have read the book. I really like the cover, but the blurb fell a little flat. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I didn't really feel interested, although I did like the authentic voice in the book. The use of swear words actually helped. It was professionally edited. I read the official review but it did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 7:03 pm by psychopathycathy.

jamesabr

Honestly, this book had a charming start. Brian West’s world was opened to me and I was able to easily picture his situation through the smoothly flowing exposition. My favorite part was the portion concerning his mother and Deanie Cummings, the cheerleader he seemed to have feelings for. If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would have sampled Playing Hurt due to the time travel to the past that it seemed to provide for the reviewer on Online Book Club. I will definitely purchase and read this book in the future. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 8:01 pm by jamesabr.

mratdegraff91

The summary makes me believe that this might be an interesting read. The cover to me is confusing but makes more sense after reading the description. The OnlineBookClub review and the sample are interesting, but sadly this book is not my type of reading. It seems like it has a great storyline and would be interesting to others, though. I also did not observe any errors in the sample or formatting issues.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 8:33 pm by mratdegraff91.

Shelle

This book looked kind of fun and nostalgic, and I was glad to have the opportunity to sample it. The story starts in the middle of a football game and is quite action-packed. I'm not sure I was hooked though and didn't get any real sense of the characters. This book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 10:58 pm by Shelle.

bookowlie

I love the vintage look of the cover and the font used for the title. Very eye-catching and intriguing. I was a little confused by the description of the book as a novel in the Amazon blurb, since Amazon has it categorized as a biography/memoir. I still found the summary interesting, but it's not clear if the book is non-fiction or fiction. The beginning pages are well written and have a nice flow, and I am interested enough to want to read further. The only thing I didn't like was that curse words were in the 2nd or 3rd page - it seemed too in your face to have curse words pop up so quickly.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 12:05 am by bookowlie.

ananya92

This is quite a short novel, and mainly focuses on the events of one night and how it impacted a group of teenagers. The underlying context of the book seems to be the experience of young adults in a small town, in the 1960's. The sample did have some minor errors, but on the whole the book seems to be edited properly. While the excellent review was pretty encouraging, I found the description and the sample slightly dull and they did not arouse any interest in me to peruse the book further. Therefore, I'll skip this one.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 4:00 am by ananya92.

Momlovesbooks

The book had a nice review by the OBC. However, it didn't sound like something I would read. I read the sample to give it a shot. After the first few pages, I didn't think it was the book for me. It started with some foul language and apparently is centered around a football game. It just didn't appeal to me at this time.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 12:52 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Kdonegan91

The cover and title are appealing. After reading the first ten pages, I was disappointed. Although the storyline is great, I felt like it progressed too slowly. I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 3:01 pm by Kdonegan91.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover of this book is great - the colors, composition, fonts - they all work together. Having grown up in a small town, I was intrigued by the plot summary. The reviews I read online also made me stop, thinking this must be an outstanding book.

I found it to be pretty good. It wasn't as amazing as the reviews seemed to indicate, but a surprising variety of different characters were well established in just these few pages. The reader really gets a sense of where these people are in their lives. The passage definitely took me back to my high school football game days.

The formatting is an issue. Truth be told, I ended up reading the entire book, and I found this got worse as I got deeper in the book. More than once, I had to stop and figure out who was talking in a conversation. This story deserved proper attention and better treatment.

As I said, I ended up getting and reading the entire book. Good story with an even better ending.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 5:00 pm by SandraTWP-BRW.

Gravy

This isn't my type of book, and I definitely wouldn't have looked at it. I noticed no errors, and what I read actually held my interest. Not likely, nor easy, considering the subject matter.
The cover is nice, and fits what I know of the book.
I won't be reading this, due to personal preferences.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 8:29 pm by Gravy.

dhomespot

After reading the review and the sample of this book, I had to put it on my To Be Read list. I do not think I would have bought it after reading the blurb because it did not give information on what the book was about, just about the author. It looks to be professionally edited, but the format changes depending on what device I am reading on. I will say that reading the sample did spur me to want to buy this book.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 8:39 pm by dhomespot.

L_Therese

When I first saw this book, the title suggested sports to me, and the cover screamed 50's-60's . I figured the book would be about teenagers getting into trouble sometime in that decade. That said, I wasn't too sure what would be moving the plot. The review cleared that us a little, but a lot of my decision to read the book in full or not would be if the first ten pages grabbed and held my attention. It didn't work out for me in the end. I didn't notice any errors in the text or anything bad about the book, but it wasn't right for me. After ten pages, I could still put the book down, so for today, I did.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 10:18 pm by L_Therese.

Cjgarland89

I wasn't sure about my first impression of the book, I love football but not when there is a bunch of drama wrapped up in it. The OBC review painted a vivid picture of what to expect and the twisted theme of the book. The sample was much more exciting than anticipated, but I don't have time to read any more books at this time. I didn't see any spelling errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 12:18 am by Cjgarland89.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because I do not like to read about sports that much. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages did not grab my attention. I feel like there was too much information and not much about dialogue and plot. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 3:21 am by jungkookblog.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book based on the OBC review and blurb. The blurb didn't really tell anything about what the story was about. The OBC review gave a little more insight to the plot, but it didn't really sound like something I would read. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be buying this book. The book started with a football game. There was a lot of terminology that related to the game. This didn't pique my interest because I'm not really into football. The book did seem to be professionally edited. However, in the sample that I read, there were no indentations for new paragraphs, and it made it slightly difficult to read.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 3:39 am by anneloretrujillo.

hsimone

The old-fashioned cover is appealing (although it looks like the author's first name and middle initial is missing a space), the title is interesting, the blurb is concise and intriguing, and there are positive customer reviews. However, the 4/4 by the OBC reviewer convinces me that this might be a read for me. Therefore, I would have sampled this read without this program.

Based on what I read, this book could use another run-through for editing purposes. For instance the author wrote "thirty-five-yearold" when the "year" and "old" should be separated. Also, I'm not sure if it's an Amazon formatting issue, but the paragraphs are not split and sort of mesh together. It makes for a distracting read.

I'm not a fan of the play-by-play of the football game; mainly because it's not a sport I follow. Due to the new characters being introduced without much background, I couldn't picture who is catching and/or throwing the football; it became all kind of blurry. I do like how Brian did give the reader some thoughts about his relationship with Deanie. This does make me curious about what has happened between them since she won't look/acknowledge Brian. Overall, the writing flow is appealing and I'm curious about this relationship. Therefore, I do plan on buying this book and finishing it eventually.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 4:57 am by hsimone.

chocomeiske

If not for this program, I wouldn't have known about this book. I read the description and still wasn't sold. The sample was ok and I guess if you're and American Football fan, this would appeal to you. I found it to be well-edited.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 9:49 am by chocomeiske.

Total ~ 25%

This book earned a score of 25%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 25% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Playing Hurt in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Playing Hurt in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ALynnPowers

4-Star Shelf

chrisann2780

Want To Read Shelf

Tommie H Odom

3-Star Shelf

RobertWesley

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

Elena_D

3-Star Shelf