Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on July 22, 2015, at 2:25 pm by sahmoun2778.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

The Water Trade

by Rob Smith

The First Ten

Because The Water Trade was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

bookowlie

While parts of the Amazon summary are interesting, it is very long and hard to follow. The cover is eye-catching, buth the author's name almost disappears into the background. The sample pages are not edited well - for example, there is no space between the words Japan and readily on the first page. I found it hard to get into the story, due in part to the dry writing style. I also don't really like books about espionage, so i am going to take a pass on this one.

First Ten review added on October 14, 2016, at 11:15 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have picked it up. The cover makes it seem like the book has a dark theme - something I wouldn't want to read. Having read the first 10 pages, my decision remains. This is because it seemed like a serious book and there was a lot of history (dates and events) which would require considerable focus to understand. The book seems to be professionally edited and has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. What I liked best about the book was the characterization. However, I thought there were many dates and historical references, which the author can look into. Overall, I'm sure the book is great, but it isn't for me.

First Ten review added on October 14, 2016, at 11:36 am by AA1495.

Sarah_Khan

I love the cover art of this book! It is mysterious and makes me want to know what the book is about. After reading the synopsis, I am not sure what I feel about the story. It seems interesting but also kind of hard to believe. I also found a few mistakes just by reading the first ten pages therefore I do not think I will read the rest of the novel.

First Ten review added on October 14, 2016, at 1:00 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

The Water Trade by Rob Smith tells the story of The Kanto Earthquake of 1923 and the main character Arashi Sasaki and his life from a young boy to a spy and the other central character Miyuki Takeda who is able to speak perfect english and lands a job at a geisha house. The story is very well written and appears to have been professionally proofed and edited. They both end up in Hawaii during the second world war. At this time my reading schedule is overbooked. But this one is a perfect choice for book of the day. The characters are well developed and this historical fiction is well written. Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on October 14, 2016, at 2:40 pm by Vermont Reviews.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book as espionage tales aren't my cup of tea. I love the cover but find the blurb too detailed and not too appealing. The official review had me more intrigued. I found the prologue a bit dry, though it contained some interesting data. The first chapter was better written, but I didn't connect to the writing. I won't buy the book as it failed to grab me and it doesn't interest me enough to want to read further. I am sure it is a good book for fans of the genre, though.

First Ten review added on October 14, 2016, at 3:10 pm by gali.

L_Therese

My initial impression of this book was very positive. It sounded like it might be both intricate and exciting. However, after reading ten pages, I felt very disconnected. The text seemed pretty wordy, and I just couldn't manage to invest myself in the story. I won't be finishing the book.

First Ten review added on October 14, 2016, at 5:27 pm by L_Therese.

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, title, and blurb, I would pick this book up. It seems there are no customer reviews on amazon but the blurb was so intriguing that I would pick it up out of curiosity. This sounds like a very educational and exciting and mysterious read. After reading the first ten pages, I am absolutely hooked. I liked the prologue because it gives an idea of what geishas are and what they do. And it gives an explanation of why the book is called the Water Trade. I did notice one error where there is no space between the words Japan and readily. But other than that the writing is error-free and I love the imagery and 3rd person style. The book is so interesting so far that I will finish it.

First Ten review added on October 14, 2016, at 6:18 pm by CrescentMoon.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read it, since I am not a fan of historical fiction. After reading the sample, I have changed my mind. I love the engaging writing style and how easy it can be followed. Although I had been interested in the premise before starting the book, the sample cemented that and I am very curious to read more. The book is professionally edited and although I did not read an official review, my opinion was not affected.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 1:47 am by psychopathycathy.

CataclysmicKnight

From the cover of this one I was expecting a thriller or horror novel, but instead I was surprised by what seems like a very genuine historical novel. The writing and editing are well done, although I wish the terms used had some sort of explanation so I wouldn't have to google them. The concept is really interesting - the misconceptualization of being bipolar - but it's rather long and I haven't been truly hooked yet, so I don't see finishing it.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 2:56 am by CataclysmicKnight.

hsimone

I have never read a novel with the genre, espionage, before, but it sounds enticing. The cover is eye-catching with its depressing feel. I am confused about the title, at this point. However, the blurb, though lengthy, does it explain it. Even with the book's positive OBC review, I most likely would not have sampled this book on my own.

Based on the bit that I read, The Water Trade seems to be mostly edited. In the Prologue, I did find the word "Japanreadily" and it seems like it should be split into "Japan" and "readily".

I really liked about the author captured Shizuko's concern about her son's condition. Even with the limited resources at the time, she tried her hardest to understand and figure out his problems. Though, I did feel the beginning was a bit rushed. I almost lost track of what was happening because there was a lot going on. Overall, even though the subject matter is interesting, I simply could not get into the story from the beginning and therefore will not be giving this a full read.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 4:43 am by hsimone.

Gravy

I would not have looked at this book. I did find some errors, but nothing that detracted from the story. I found the writing interesting, and if I read more historical fiction I may have chosen to put this on my to-read list.
The cover, though vague, gives a good idea of what to expect, and the official review had me convinced that the remainder of the book is consistent.

My one note is that the blurb is almost unreadable. It's too long, with too much information, and really didn't inspire me to sample the book, much less buy it. Had I not sampled this for The First Ten, and had I decided to look at it, the blurb would have had me regretting that decision.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 5:06 am by Gravy.

easy_dc13

I wouldn't have jumped at the chance to read the book immediately if I saw it anywhere else other than this program. Thrillers are fine with me but I'm not in a reading mood right now. I will not be buying and reading the rest of the book. The parts that I have managed to read haven't commanded my interest and doesn't warrant further reading, although that's just my say. I'm pretty sure there are many more people who would like to read this aside from me. In the prologue, I noticed that there was a missing word in one sentence and in another, two separate words weren't spaced.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 9:57 am by easy_dc13.

VinuW

I probably wouldn't have read the novel if not for this program due to the absence of reviews on Amazon. I didn't find the cover appealing, but after going through the description, I immediately started reading the novel because I find Japanese history quite fascinating. The novel did not seem to contain grammatical errors. The plot was supported by a large number of facts, and this made the novel seem much more realistic. However, the language was a bit too formal for my taste.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 10:53 am by VinuW.

klbradley

The cover of the book seems very interesting already. I'm always a fan of something that looks dark and intriguing. I can't tell much from the first ten pages, but I still believe this could be something I will enjoy.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 10:56 am by klbradley.

Rachel1019

I have not seen a review for this book on OBC, but it seems like an interesting book. It is based around a female character in Japan in the 1920s. For me, this would be one of the few books that I have read that have been like this. I think it is an intriguing idea to write a book in this country, time period, and character choice. Based on the cover alone, this would be a book that I would be interested in reading, because it looks mysterious. Based on the title, I'm not so sure, it is something that I have never heard of, which means it could be interesting. I liked the first few pages of the book, and I think it is something that I could enjoy reading the whole thing.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 12:44 pm by Rachel1019.

Momlovesbooks

The cover of this book looked disturbing. The description was unclear as to what type of book this really was. I read a few pages and knew this wasn't my type of book. The writing style seemed choppy and there were some grammatical errors. I do t plan on reading this one.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 5:19 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Shelle

I had little knowledge of this specific part of Japanese history and was glad to have the opportunity to sample this book. I like the writer's style and think this is likely a very interesting story. Although I'm not going to purchase it today, I will definitely put it on my list for the next time I'm in the mood for intense historical fiction.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 6:56 pm by Shelle.

Cjgarland89

Typically I would not have read this novel without the program, the cover is interesting and the OBC review provided information as to the topic and overall purpose of the book. I may just not be privy to Japanese culture or ways, but I did find the first few pages disturbing to how women were treated as simply nothing, although i am sure the same concepts were world wide accepted. The setting of the story is interesting being the early 1900s in Japan. I don't think it was professionally edited but the author did do well on self editing. There was one error on the first page with spacing, but nothing major. I will not purchase and finish this book because it wasn't interesting enough and didn't particularly hold my attention.

First Ten review added on October 15, 2016, at 9:30 pm by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 17%

This book earned a score of 17%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 17% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Water Trade in their shelves?

13 members have The Water Trade in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

levyingkishan

Currently Reading Shelf

CatInTheHat

4-Star Shelf

Sunspots

Want To Read Shelf

C M

Want To Read Shelf

lydialeigh71

Want To Read Shelf

staffy53

Currently Reading Shelf