Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.4 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on July 20, 2015, at 11:37 pm by Charity_Rowell.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781475186529

Severed Threads: (Threads #1)

by Kaylin McFarren

The First Ten

Because Severed Threads was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

klbradley

I'm such a fan of suspense novels, and this cover automatically caught my attention. Unfortunately, I'm no longer subscribed to Kindle Unlimited, and that's probably the only reason I wont be downloading this one today.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 10:41 am by klbradley.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Rachel1019

Based on the title and cover of this book there is a good chance that I would read it. I enjoy mysterious and dark novels. The first chapter of this book starts out with some fast-paced action. I appreciate action in a book. I enjoyed how this book started so much that I decided to go ahead and download it, so that I could read it sometime.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 11:14 am by Rachel1019.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Vermont Reviews

Severed Threads by Kaylin McFarren today's book of the day, showed the characters Chase Cohen and Rachel Lyons as the two main characters in the story. Chase had been diving with Rachel's father Sam when he (Sam) wasn't able to make it back to the surface without expiring. He still felt that he was somehow responsible for this accident. Chase Cohen head of Trident Ventures is looking for financing and hopes to gain favor with Rachel. Meanwhile Devin Lyons, brother of Rachel is involved with money laundering. The preview will definitely gain new readers. I also read many of the reviews. Readers are very happy with the story series presented by Kaylin McFarren. At this time my reading is overbooked. Based on the preview and reviews normally I would have purchased this well written book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 11:54 am by Vermont Reviews.

chocomeiske

Such a cute cover! It caught my attention immediately. I know I'm interested in this book because I have a physical copy on my TBR pile.
Having read the first ten pages, I'm moving this up my reading list. It starts off with an underwater treasure hunt which quickly goes wrong when the main protagonist's father dies. I am intrigued and want to find out what else happens.
I got the feeling this book was professionally edited since the story flows really well and I can't recall any editing issues.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 12:30 pm by chocomeiske.

bookowlie

The Amazon summary appears to be edited well, but the explanation of the plot seems a little busy and hard to follow. It made me think that the story would have too many different things going on for my taste. The beginning pages are well written and there is a smooth transition between time periods. Still, I wasn't able to become absorbed in the story and am going to take a pass on this one.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 12:39 pm by bookowlie.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art and title of this book are intriguing but the font of the title kind of looks unprofessional. The blurb is very well-written and does a great job of making me excited to start reading the novel.
After reading the first ten pages, I was hooked! The plot of this novel is very interesting and well-written, it kept my attention from the very first page. I will definitely be reading this book in the future but for now I have too many books on my plate so unfortunately, I will not be buying it today.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 1:08 pm by Sarah_Khan.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book as the subject matter doesn't appeal to me. I love the cover and think the blurb is clear and intriguing. The opening lines describing the fatal diving accident were well-written, but it failed to hook me. I didn't connect to the writing and wasn't interested in the story. I won't read the balance of the book as it isn't really my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 1:56 pm by gali.

CrescentMoon

I like the cover of the book. It is very dark and eye-catching and considering the dark and paranormal and supernatural aspects of the book, I definitely think it is fitting for the story. I actually think the blurb sounds very intriguing. This book incorporates many elements like fantasy, romance, erotica, action, adventure, and even history with the archeological aspect. After reading the first ten pages, I have to say I am not really that hooked. I think the writing is very dry in the beginning and it is understandable considering that the author probably just wants to lay down the characters, and the setting before getting to the action. But it is very boring so far. I'm sure the book will pick up eventually but I probably will not read the rest.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 3:02 pm by CrescentMoon.

L_Therese

This book seemed like it would be exciting, but perhaps too exciting. The synopsis made it seem impossibly phenomenal - like it was trying too hard. I would really need the characters to be very round and engaging to make this kind of plot sequence relatable. In the first ten pages, there was certainly plot from the get-go, but the writing style wasn't working for me. I felt separate from the characters. It may well get better, but I'm not planning to find out.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 4:42 pm by L_Therese.

Kdonegan91

The cover and the title are eye-catching and stimulate my curiosity. However, after reading the information on Amazon and the sample of the book, I am no longer interested in the book. Firstly, I genuinely dislike the supernatural, fantasy, or the sci-fi genre and this book contains a supernatural aspect. Also, I am not interested in the plot of ships, artifacts, and diving that I read in the first chapter.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 4:54 pm by Kdonegan91.

MarisaRose

The cover of "Severed Threads" and the title are both enticing. The lack of an official OBC review as well as the genre of book make me not want to read this book. After reading the first ten pages, I still do not think I will read this book. The writing seemed solid and held my interest, but I wasn't thrilled by anything. Seeing as romance really isn't my thing, I was hoping to see something in the first ten that would seem different and exciting, but I didn't. I do think the book is well edited.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 6:42 pm by MarisaRose.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it since I prefer pure romance books. Having read the sample, I thought that the characters' personalities and feelings were described well. However, some technical jargon was used and I found a few minor grammatical errors. I did not come across an Onlinebookclub review for this book and the absence of one may have affected my decision. I will not be reading the book as of now, but I might read it in the future.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 7:18 pm by AA1495.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. The blurb was only mildly interesting, even though it may be a genre I would enjoy. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The setting and descriptions were very vivid, and I could imagine the scene perfectly. However, the mood of the story seemed a little lost on me, and I already felt detached from the characters and a little bored at their personalities. The book was professionally edited. I did not read an official review, but this did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 10:24 pm by psychopathycathy.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would've read this based on the cover, title, etc. because the cover seems like it's about someone who's weak, and I don't like books like that. I am going to buy the whole book because the plot is amazing, and the mysterious setting is just awesome. It did change me from my original guess. It seems like it was professionally edited. I loved the setting in the beginning, and it even gave fish names! I admire fishing. Something that could be improved would be talking in the character's perspective more often. I did not see a review, but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 30, 2016, at 10:31 pm by jungkookblog.

amybo82

This book has a large number of reviews, and the author has an impressive resume. However, I am not a big fan of romance novels, so I did not find the books description appealing. I did not see a review of the book from Online Book Club. After reading the first ten pages, I have decided I will not be reading the rest of the book. I couldn't get in sync with the author's writing style, and I did not connect with the characters.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2016, at 8:19 am by amybo82.

hsimone

The blurb is interesting, the reviews are mainly positive, and the genre (crime/thriller) does interest me. However, due the disturbing cover and title, I would not have sampled this on my own. Based on the bit that I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like the ocean-theme in the beginning of the book as Sam and Chase are in the Pacific Ocean clearly looking for something. There is something about being near the ocean entices me. However, I am confused as to what they are looking for. Overall, the beginning was somewhat interesting, however, not enough to make me what to buy the book and read it.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2016, at 12:55 pm by hsimone.

Gravy

This is not my genre, but the writing kept me interested. I didn't notice any errors. I don't like the cover. It's a little misleading, in my opinion.
Nothing really stood out for me, either good or bad. I don't believe this had an official review, but I don't look for reviews unless I'm already interested in the book, so it didn't effect my opinion.
I won't be continuing with it, because this genre rarely interests me, and nothing really grabbed my attention.

First Ten review added on December 1, 2016, at 6:04 pm by Gravy.

Momlovesbooks

The title and cover of this book didn't catch my attention. The description of the book grabbed me, though. I enjoy romance, action, and mystery. Anything that combines those and sounds like an "Indiana Jones" theme, has me interested. I read the first few pages and was instantly drawn into the action. Something dramatic occurred in the first pages and I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened. I have a lot of books on my reading list, but I have to add this one to it!

First Ten review added on December 1, 2016, at 9:42 pm by Momlovesbooks.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book based on the Amazon Blurb and the fact that there is not an OBC review. The content didn't seem like something I would be interested in. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be purchasing this book. The content of these pages just wasn't in my interest area. For some reason, the diving just wasn't entertaining even though it should have been. The beginning was already full of adventure, but I couldn't get into it. I think this would be very enjoyable for a lot of people, just not for me. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 1:14 am by anneloretrujillo.

CataclysmicKnight

I love treasure hunting of any sort, it's definitely my favorite theme in any type of media. Between that and the awards this one has, I have no doubt I'd have at least been tempted to try it out no matter how I found out about it. The first chapter gives a good taste of the potential adventure to come, and the second chapter jumping ahead and into Rachel's shoes is an intriguing step. I'll definitely finish this book sometime!

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 2:46 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Cjgarland89

This book had my attention right away. When a character dies in the first ten, I always assume this is for me. Without an OBC review it was hard to determine whether or not I would like to finish, so I purchased the book and plan to finish out of curiosity. I like the mystery of deep sea diving, and because Sam died right away, I feel like it can only get better and more dramatic from here. I didn't see any errors and like the author's writing style.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 6:10 am by Cjgarland89.

Rachaelamb1

This is not the type of genre I normally read. The cover and title do not make me interested in it, but the first ten pages were better than I expected. I am still not interested in reading the rest because it just doesn't seem like my type of book. I suppose an OBC review would give me a better idea of whether or not I would like it, but since there isn't one it's hard to say. It seems professionally edited.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 7:30 am by Rachaelamb1.

truebookaddict

I bought this one back in March, convinced by the blurb and reviews. So yes, I would have chosen to read this without it being part of the first ten program.

I bought it and will read the whole book eventually. As I said, it sounded like a great read and there was a majority of positive reviews on Amazon.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

This book wowed me from the first page. The action starts immediately with a diving excursion. I am very phobic about diving so I kept waiting for something bad to happen...sharks, or something else. Right away, something happens and we're left with the question of why. It really makes you want to keep reading.

This book was not officially reviewed on OBC. The lack of such a review did not affect my decision one way or another.

First Ten review added on December 2, 2016, at 9:14 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 26%

This book earned a score of 26%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 26% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Severed Threads in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Severed Threads in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

dvillemomof4

Want To Read Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

bluemel4

4-Star Shelf

Strangerthanfiction

4-Star Shelf