Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.6 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on July 14, 2015, at 3:39 pm by bookowlie.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Ian, CEO, North Pole

by Eric Dana Hansen

The First Ten

Because Ian, CEO, North Pole was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Rachel1019

This is a very imaginative way of introducing little known facts about a lot of people's favorite time of the year. Most Christmas stories focus on the religion, myth, or youth of that time of the year. It intrigued me that it was a story about the North Pole, but was more relatable. The cover art gives away the subject of the book along with the title. This would be an interesting book for a child, but isn't something I am terribly interested in continuing.

First Ten review added on November 10, 2016, at 1:05 pm by Rachel1019.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

The cover art and the title of this novel are just average, they do not stand out. To be honest, after reading the blurb, I find this book generic, there is nothing original or different in the plot. I think the Online Book Club review really helps this book out because the review is well-written and actually makes me think I should give this book a chance.
After reading a few pages, I can see it is professionally edited, but that is all I have to say about it. I still think the plot is not different enough to make me want to read the whole book.

First Ten review added on November 10, 2016, at 2:00 pm by Sarah_Khan.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled this book as it is not a book that I normally gravitate to. I didn't change my mind after reading the sample and the official review. The cover is cute and the blurb is informative. Ian sounds like a loveable character and I found his antics very amusing. The peanuts scene was hilarious and made me smile. It sounds like a very fun tale for kids based on the sample and review. I won't buy the book though, since I am not the right audience for it.

First Ten review added on November 10, 2016, at 2:17 pm by gali.

anneloretrujillo

I wanted to sample this book based on the OBC review and the blurb. It seemed like a really cute story. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be purchasing the book at this time. I thought it was a super cute start to the story. I enjoyed reading it. However, I know I won't read it on my own. I don't currently have any children to read it with. I will be searching for this book again in the future, but I won't be purchasing it today.

First Ten review added on November 10, 2016, at 4:49 pm by anneloretrujillo.

hsimone

The cover, title, blurb, and genre all appeal to me. I love Christmas and Christmas stories. Though there is only one customer review, the OBC reviewer is a reliable one. Therefore, I would have sampled this read even without this program.

I did notice when Cedric was thinking, the author used quotation marks. When books have both dialogue and thoughts in quotation marks, it can be hard to differentiate a thought from a spoken part. Therefore, I would suggest in editing this part. I like how sweet this story is. Ian is very likable as he goes through job after job in trying to find a suitable fit. At times, I do feel the dialogue is forced, which can be distracting. Overall, I like the concept of this book and I like how positive the OBC review is. Therefore, I will be buying this book today and will finish reading it.

First Ten review added on November 10, 2016, at 5:16 pm by hsimone.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Shelle

This book looked adorable and I was glad to have the opportunity to sample it. I liked that the story began quickly and grabbed my attention. The premise of a day dreaming elf was funny and Ian seems charming. This book definitely seems better suited to a younger audience, but if nearer to Christmas, my kids want a fun book for me to read along to them, I might purchase this one.

First Ten review added on November 10, 2016, at 6:08 pm by Shelle.

CrescentMoon

Based on the cover, title, blurb, and customer reviews I don't think I would pick this up. I do think the cover and title are very fitting for the genre and what the book is about so I did like that. But, I don't think I am the target audience for this book. After reading the first few pages, I do like the simple writing style, but this books seems more for younger readers and I don't think it is for me.

First Ten review added on November 10, 2016, at 6:20 pm by CrescentMoon.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it since it seems like a childrens' book. However, having read the sample, I found the plot interesting. I liked the author's writing style and the way the protagonist was described. However, I would have liked more descriptions for events and conversations. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. I will read the book further at some point in the future.

First Ten review added on November 10, 2016, at 8:00 pm by AA1495.

Vermont Reviews

Ian, CEO, North Pole by Eric Dana Hansen
I enjoyed the preview, but at this time my reading schedule is overbooked. I thought the character of Ian reminds me a lot of my grandson. He is often daydreaming on different things at his job as well. Trying to find your place in the world often requires patience and having a goal. From the title it appears that Ian becomes someone who has a lot more in front of him. The author Eric Dana Hansen develops his characters with a great story to go along with them. The story appears to have been professionally edited. I love the cover art. I was glad to see that this one made the book of the day selection. Congratulations.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 10, 2016, at 8:38 pm by Vermont Reviews.

L_Therese

I loved the concept of this book from the beginning. It made me think of "The Santa Clause" and "Elf". I read the sample with great enjoyment. It seemed well written overall, and Ian's narration was engaging. I also enjoyed the messages of finding one's strengths and learning to use them as well as celebrating differences between cultural groups. If I had a small relative the right age for this book, it would very likely be something I'd buy.

First Ten review added on November 10, 2016, at 10:52 pm by L_Therese.

Gravy

The style is a bit more juvenile than I prefer, but the premise is cute, and Ian is very likeable.
I noticed no errors, and I love the cover. Overall, this seems to be a very cute read, at a very appropriate time of year.
I can't say that I will read this, but I may decide to later on.

First Ten review added on November 11, 2016, at 4:16 am by Gravy.

klbradley

The cover on this one doesn't look like a traditional children's story, but as I got to reading the first ten pages and the synopsis, I could tell it was. This one is recommended for ages 5+, and I know my 5 year old son would absolutely love this one! We always love to read Christmas stories around this time of year leading up to Christmas, and now I have found a new one to add to that list!

First Ten review added on November 11, 2016, at 9:13 am by klbradley.

Rachaelamb1

Great cover and description. I enjoy a good children's Christmas book so this is something I was immediately interested in. The OBC official review made it seem really interesting as well. I enjoyed the first ten pages, but the writing style did not quite capture my attention which is why I won't be buying it. The way it is written makes me think it ought to be a picture book for younger children, although then it may be a little long.

First Ten review added on November 11, 2016, at 10:19 am by Rachaelamb1.

ALynnPowers

This looks like a cute start to a book suitable for parents to read to younger children or for new readers to pick up and attempt to read on their own. I like the Christmas theme and the look inside Santa's workshop and the different processes involved. It sounds like a lot of hard work! I personally couldn't see myself reading any more of this book just because it's too young for my tastes, and I think that pictures or simple illustrations would make it more appealing to young readers.

First Ten review added on November 11, 2016, at 12:36 pm by ALynnPowers.

jungkookblog

If I had not sampled the first ten pages, then I would have probably not have read this because Santa is a basic story, you would expect to have Santa go out on a trip and run into troubles, but this is about elves which I really like! I am going to buy the whole book because it seems like a really fun story based on the first ten pages that changed my mind. I think reading the whole book is important because it seems like a great story to read. It seems like it was professionally edited because I don't see any errors. What I liked about this, is that it's about elves! Usually, you would think it would be all about Santa, since it's called "Santa's Workshop". This book is about elves and particularly Ian, who is not perfect for any job, and found one so called the shipping job. I think that the beginning seems a bit rushed, and that could be improved. I did not see any Official OnlineBookClub review, but that didn't stop me from reading this Santa book!

First Ten review added on November 11, 2016, at 7:08 pm by jungkookblog.

Cjgarland89

I would have sampled this without the program. I am always looking for new books that my son will enjoy reading. We read this one together and both really enjoyed it. Ian seems to be trying to find his way and I think it's. A great story about the North Pole and Ian's journey to fit in where he belongs. The OBC review helped influence my decision to purchase the whole book for my son because it was a perfect review and provided many details on the outcome of the book. I didn't see any errors so it appears professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2016, at 12:17 am by Cjgarland89.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would have read it - the premise is extremely unique, although it seems like a children's book. After sampling the book, I have decided to read it. The writing is very straightforward and I still think that the idea is very interesting. It was professionally edited. I did not read an official review, but this did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on November 12, 2016, at 2:30 am by psychopathycathy.

Total ~ 35%

This book earned a score of 35%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 35% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Ian, CEO, North Pole in their shelves?

16 members have Ian, CEO, North Pole in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

bookowlie

4-Star Shelf

hsimone

3-Star Shelf

greekbard_vty

Want To Read Shelf

Annette-Rochelle

Want To Read Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf

Celticlady

Want To Read Shelf