Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on July 1, 2015, at 12:24 pm by bookowlie.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9780988828728

Hattie's Place

by Katherine P. Stillerman

The First Ten

Because Hattie's Place was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

The blurb and cover are very appealing. I like period pieces, especially when they are well-written as this one seems to be. The sample started well, with the jilting of the heroin by a letter no less, and it got me interested in reading the rest. Also, I Like strong heroines as this one seems to be. I will definitely read this book!

First Ten review added on July 17, 2016, at 10:44 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

hsimone

I have been wanting to read this book since I read the official OBC review. The cover, the title, the blurb, the genre, and the reviews all have led me the desire to continue the read. Therefore, I, without a doubt, plan on reading the rest.

Based on the bit that I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors. The author's decision to begin her book with a woman that has lost a lot in life back in the 1900s is something that has captured my interest. At this point in the story, I do not see any room for improvements. Can't wait to read this one!

First Ten review added on July 17, 2016, at 10:51 am by hsimone.

Vermont Reviews

Based on the first ten pages, I knew that I had to finish the book. You can tell by the story that the author knows how to develop not only the plot but the characters as well. I found the story to be an enjoyable read. No major problems with editing or spelling. Hattie Robinson is a character who the reader will relate to from the beginning of the story. Back then as well as now there were many farm foreclosures. I will look forward to finishing this book. I love historical fiction. Well written and a great read.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on July 17, 2016, at 12:32 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CataclysmicKnight

I'm always a little leery of historical fiction - I LOVE the concept of being transported back in time and learning while I'm entertained, but they're often written in a way that's a chore to read. That wasn't the case here - it was easy to follow and seemed rather quick-paced. After reading the official review I'm even more interested, and yes, I'll definitely finish the book.

First Ten review added on July 17, 2016, at 2:39 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

L_Therese

Based on my initial impressions of this book, I would probably not choose it. Between the cover and title, it seemed too much like American Girl (all grown up), and the plot summary reinforced the impression. After reading ten pages, I don't plan to continue. I don't feel invested in the character because I am having a hard time connecting to her. The beginning is a set up for the real plot movements, but there's still a pretty heavy break-up as the book opens. Despite the fact that, in the historical setting, a split only weeks before the wedding would be devastating to the bride (more than just emotionally), the protagonist seems aloof and mostly unshaken. It isn't working for me, so I don't plan to read more.

First Ten review added on July 17, 2016, at 4:14 pm by L_Therese.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Rachaelamb1

From the cover and description, this is a book I would normally read. I love how the book starts out immediately getting into the story without a lot of back history bogging it down. The book also seems to be professionally edited. I did have some formatting issues reading from my phone, but it worked out when I changed font size. I plan on reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on July 17, 2016, at 10:46 pm by Rachaelamb1.

Gravy

Historical fiction is hit and miss for me, and this one is a miss.
I actually like the cover, it fits the genre and premise well.
The sample started out relatively strong, but toward the end I found some glaring errors with continuity. For instance, when Hattie is introduced to Mr. Barton, she prattles a bit about her room, and the space it will afford her. After Hattie has a few negative thoughts about herself, which go unspoken, Mr. Barton says, "Nonsense, as a graduate of the Female College, you have been well prepared", and so on.
I strongly dislike errors in continuity, and finding even one so early in the book is bothersome to me.

First Ten review added on July 18, 2016, at 2:24 am by Gravy.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Shelle

The book's cover, genre, and blurb definitely appealed to me. I love historical fiction with strong female characters and this story did not disappoint. I am eager to read beyond the 10 page sample. I really like the author's writing style and the story hooked me from the first page.

First Ten review added on July 18, 2016, at 2:20 pm by Shelle.

Momlovesbooks

I enjoy historical fiction and would have read this book based on the genre and description. The first few pages were descriptive and seemed to be historically correct. The main character had my sympathy right at the beginning. I look forward to seeing where her journey takes her. I'll be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on July 18, 2016, at 3:07 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Judyk

I would likely have not read Hattie's Place based on the title or cover, however after reading the first ten pages I do plan to finish the book. This book seems to be well written and edited professionally based on the sample I read. I became intrigued by the characters and storyline so far and can't wait to see what becomes of Hattie.

First Ten review added on July 18, 2016, at 8:33 pm by Judyk.

truebookaddict

I downloaded this book when it was offered for free as the book of the day because of the genre and the blurb. I love historical fiction and it sounded like a great story.

Yes, I will read the whole book. The first ten pages confirmed for me that this will be a good historical novel.

The editing seemed professional. No typos or grammatical errors noticed.

I liked the way the author's prose made me feel like I was there. I could picture the various scenes in the pages I read. The scene with Hattie's mother and aunt...I totally had in my mind what the house looked like and the author didn't even describe it. I see no need for improvement.

First Ten review added on July 19, 2016, at 6:50 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 82%

This book earned a score of 82%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 82% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Hattie's Place in their shelves?

18 members have Hattie's Place in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

gali

Want To Read Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

bookowlie

3-Star Shelf

chelle1285

Want To Read Shelf

markg11

Want To Read Shelf

bluemel4

Want To Read Shelf