Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 2.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on January 6, 2015, at 7:51 am by kfagan-14.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9780615698854

Thin Places

by Diane Owens Prettyman

The First Ten

Because Thin Places was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Rachaelamb1

I like the cover and description of the book. The mixed reviews made me a little apprehensive, but I really enjoyed reading the sample. The story sounds interesting and I like the main characters. I am not sure if it grabs my attention enough to buy it today, since I have so many other books to read, but I will be adding it to my want to read list. From what I read, the book seems well-edited.

First Ten review added on August 13, 2016, at 12:27 pm by Rachaelamb1.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Vermont Reviews

After reading the preview and the reviews I decided to take a chance and download this book. Of course it helped that Scott gave it a heads up. I love a good mystery. I was amazed with the reviews, it seems that readers either love it, or hate it. After I finish the story I will know that yes I will either like it or not. From the preview that I've read I believe that I will enjoy the book. I absolutely love the cover. Great art. I also like the title of the book. I will be adding this to my reading list for this week. Congratulations on being the book of the day. Thanks for giving all of us here on onlinebookclub the opportunity to have your book at a discount. We do appreciate good literature. After I finish the story I will make sure to leave you a review. Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on August 13, 2016, at 12:27 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

I was intrigued by the Amazon blurb as Chloe seems like a strong, female character. The summary is well-written and appears to be professionally edited. The main thing I didn't care for is that I don't like books that contains mystical elements. The cover artwork and font are both attractive. In the beginning pages, I liked the author's conversational writing style. It made me feel like Finn was telling me the story over coffee. Still, I doubt I would read the rest of the book because of the mystical elements mentioned in the Amazon summary.

First Ten review added on August 13, 2016, at 1:40 pm by bookowlie.

gali

The cover is lovely, but the blurb didn't really grab me. The mixed reviews on the book raised my interest more than the blurb. The first pages seemed interesting and I didn't catch any major errors. I liked Finn and found his side of the story (Thomas’s dying wish and all) interesting, but was bored by Chloe's side of it. There also seem to be some religious undertones, which isn't to my taste. That, combined with slow-paced plot made me not interested in reading further.

First Ten review added on August 13, 2016, at 2:14 pm by gali.

CataclysmicKnight

I had absolutely no idea what to expect from the title or cover, but once I read the first ten pages the title started to make sense. The story was a smooth read and interesting, AND it's leading up to a treasure hunt! Yeah, I'll end up finishing this one sometime.

First Ten review added on August 13, 2016, at 3:08 pm by CataclysmicKnight.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

L_Therese

I was pretty excited for this book when I saw it. It looked exciting and mysterious. As I read the first ten pages, I grew gradually more and more disappointed. There was a glaring error (drug/dragged) that really changed the way I was reading the book. As soon as I registered that error, the sentence fragments that are a major factor in the writing style started bothering me as well. The writing is clever, but the characters do not yet have any depth - not even the main character who is also the first-person narrator. I continued reading a few pages into Chloe's narrative to see if her part of the story would compel me to continue, but I didn't find the character to be very interesting or indeed very original. I had such high hopes, and I feel very disappointed.

First Ten review added on August 13, 2016, at 3:31 pm by L_Therese.

Gravy

This book is not for me. There are parts I find intriguing, but from the blurb and sample, and reading the reviews here and on Amazon, it just doesn't sound like something I want to continue.

I didn't really like the style, and it felt awkward in places. To be honest, Calvery was probably the most interesting character I encountered.
However, I do like the title, and the way it's used.

I would not have looked at this book, and am not a fan of the cover.

First Ten review added on August 13, 2016, at 9:54 pm by Gravy.

Judyk

Without the first ten program I would not have sampled "Thin Places" based on it's title, genre or blurb. The writing and editing appear to be professional based on the sample I read. I did enjoy the writing style of the author, it was a very easy to read sample and I would like to read more of this book but I really don't have the time right now and I'll likely loose track of it before I do.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2016, at 2:56 am by Judyk.

Cjgarland89

I typically would not have chosen to read this book. Anytime I see romance or something like that I steer clear. I am not a romance type despite what else is going on in the book. Based on the first ten the book looks to be professionally edited, everything flows nicely and I didn't see any grammar or spelling mistakes. Although I won't be reading the remainder of the book, simply because it's not for me, I did enjoy the setting and how human the author made the prisoners feel, and the mystery of what the thin places actually is.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2016, at 6:36 am by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

I probably would not have chosen to read this without first sampling it based on the blurb because when I see the word inspirational in the description, it makes me think it's going to be Christian fiction, or preachy.

I probably will not read the whole book. The writing style was good. I just was not intrigued enough by what I read to continue the whole book.

The book is well-edited. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

I liked the portrayal of the caring nature of the main character, showing that convicts do have compassion in their hearts. I have no suggestions for improvement.

First Ten review added on August 15, 2016, at 9:11 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 20%

This book earned a score of 20%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 20% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Thin Places in their shelves?

16 members have Thin Places in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

kfagan-14

4-Star Shelf

Scott

3-Star Shelf

Fran

1-Star Shelf

Janetleighgreen

Want To Read Shelf

Cristina

Want To Read Shelf

Hmsmith06

Want To Read Shelf