Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.3 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on January 6, 2015, at 7:51 am by bookowlie.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

The Remnants

by W.P. Osborn

The First Ten

Because The Remnants was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Rachel1019

The title and cover do not offer me much insight into the storyline. If I was basing my assessment on those things alone, I would say that I would read it, because it looks like a dystopian story perhaps. After reading the review on OBC, I found that I was completely false in that assumption, but in a good way. It is not dystopian but rather Edwardian English around the World Wars. Based on the review, I would definitely read the novel. Then after reading the first part of the book, that is thoroughly interesting and written in such an exciting way, I can say that I will be finishing this story at some point in time.

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 10:20 am by Rachel1019.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the boo, as it isn't my cup of tea. I love the cover and find the blurb satisfactory, but the official review made me more curious about the book. The preface, telling about the conversation of the author with his grandfather, was very touching. The next part failed to hold my interest though. It seems like a good saga, alas it isn't for me. I won't buy the book as it isn't something I am interested in reading right now.

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 10:23 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

L_Therese

When I saw this book, the title and cover made me think that it would be a post-apocalyptic novel of some sort. When I saw in its blurb that it was more of a historical romance/historical fiction book, I was very surprised. The opening scene reminded me of the kid with his grandfather in the opening of The Princess Bride, except without the humor. It's hard to know how it will turn out after only ten pages, but my impression is mostly of sadness, and that's not what I'm looking for right now. I don't plan to finish the book.

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 11:29 am by L_Therese.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art seems just okay to me but the title is intriguing. The blurb does a good job of laying out the plot without giving any spoilers.
After reading the first few pages, I was hooked. Although not much in the plot makes me interested, the fact that the writing is great and the Online Book Club review is favorable makes me want to give this book a try. Unfortunately, I have too many books on my plate right now so I will not be buying this one today.

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 12:15 pm by Sarah_Khan.

jamesabr

The story started off nicely. I would have sampled the book based on what I could research of the author and the OnlineBookClub review of it. The review was overwhelmingly positive and the author seemed to be conveying an interesting perspective of World War I. Despite the quaint start between the little boy and his grandfather, as well as the author's method of introducing the subject matter and usage of framing device, I will not buy and read the whole book. Sampling the first ten pages didn't provoke the desire to read the entire book. I felt as if I was sampling an excerpt from a history book throughout reading it. Personally, I am not at all entertained by the story of the Battle of Vimy Ridge or the British lineage of the writer's family. I don't read the genre of this book often, so I do not feel that I have the right to say what needs to be improved upon; I have no idea what is typical of this genre. There were no grammatical errors or typos.

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 2:59 pm by jamesabr.

Vermont Reviews

W.F. Osborn in his book The Remnants has captured the feeling of the early 1900's. I absolutely loved the preview. I have added this to my 2017 reading list. Well written. I love the characters. Danny and Phil and Maggie and Rose. Looking forward to finishing the book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 4:51 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

I like the cover art, it is very soothing and reminds me of the historical time period this book is set in. After reading the blurb, I do not think I would pick this book up currently mostly because I have to be in a certain kind of mood to read historical fiction. After reading the first ten pages, I don't think I will read the rest. I am not a fan of love at first sight romances and this seems like the couple fall in love very quickly. I don't think I am the target audience for this.

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 5:07 pm by CrescentMoon.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. The cover is okay, but the color scheme seems a little dull. I also felt like the synopsis was a little cliched, as it felt like the plot of every other romance story written. There seems to be some grammatical errors; for example, in the preface, when the grandfather says "I forgot my bloody pipe", a comma is missing in the dialogue. I really liked the chapters that were dialogue-centric, but there were several that were chunks of paragraphs, and I felt a little tired of reading through that. It also felt a little too like it was "telling, not showing". I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 6:23 pm by psychopathycathy.

Kdonegan91

After reading the first ten pages, I was not blown away by this book. I thought it progressed slowly and I found it difficult to stay interested. The cover and title didn't stand out. However, after reading the OBC review, I have decided to give this book a try. The well-written and insightful review sparked my curiosity and pushed me to read further.

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 7:02 pm by Kdonegan91.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book based on the title, the cover, the blurb, and the OBC review. I'm not usually a fan of historical fiction. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be buying this book. I thought the description was good, but I wasn't a big fan of the language. The time period also isn't really in my area of interest. The book does seem to be professionally edited. It seems like it is a good book; it just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 8:12 pm by anneloretrujillo.

mratdegraff91

The cover for The Remnants by W.P. Osborn is very appealing and the title interesting. After reading the blurb and looking at reviews, I would most likely download and read this without sampling the first few pages. The book does seem professionally edited in what I read. The Official OnlineBookClub review was very helpful in inspiring me to want to purchase and continue reading the book. The story of love between Rose and Danny involving the war sounds interesting and full of adventure. I felt like the first couple of pages introducing the characters and setting up for the two to meet pulled me in. I would purchase and continue reading this book.

First Ten review added on December 28, 2016, at 9:49 pm by mratdegraff91.

Gravy

I found a few minor errors, missing words, missing spaces, but nothing that would surprise me. I like the cover. The style was slightly uneven in the attention to detail. I enjoyed the preface, it set the story up well.
Historical is not really my thing. If it were, I might put this on my list. I won't be continuing with this, but would probably recommend it to fans of the gene.

First Ten review added on December 29, 2016, at 6:24 am by Gravy.

hsimone

The book cover and the title are appealing. I do enjoy a good historical fiction piece. The blurb adds to my curiosity and the reviews all look positive, including a reliable OBC reviewer. Therefore, I would have sampled this on my own.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I really like how the grandfather is explaining his medals from when he was at war. Also, I love the young boy's curious mind. At this point, I can't find anything to improve upon. Therefore, I plan on purchasing this book and finish reading it.

First Ten review added on December 29, 2016, at 4:37 pm by hsimone.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. The cover and title didn't appeal to me. Having read the sample, I liked the author's writing style. The characters' thoughts have been described well. The sample was easy to read and follow. However, I would have liked to know the main character's personality and background better. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I will not be reading this book further now, I might read it in the future.

First Ten review added on December 29, 2016, at 4:49 pm by AA1495.

chocomeiske

If not for this program, this book would not have been on my radar. I don't particularly like the cover and I'm really a cover person. That being said, I read the first ten pages and what I read was ok, not great but interesting enough. It is based on the writers' grandparents and their experiences in Edwardian England. I can't recall any editing issues that stood out.

First Ten review added on December 29, 2016, at 6:06 pm by chocomeiske.

Momlovesbooks

I wasn't sure I wanted to add another book to my reading list. I read the review, which was quite interesting, but still thought I didn't want another book to read. I read the first few pages and changed my mind. I like historical fiction, but this had the added bonus of being based on facts. It appeared to be well written and edited. I plan on reading this one after all.

First Ten review added on December 29, 2016, at 11:56 pm by Momlovesbooks.

CataclysmicKnight

I knew very little about this book before diving in, but it became clear halfway through the preface that the author is passionate in his writing about the subject. The writing is descriptive and excellent with just enough emotion. The plot sounds like there's a lot going on with such a great deal of adversity, and the fact that it's also based on real life is even better! However, I don't see finishing it due to its length (over 450 pages).

First Ten review added on December 30, 2016, at 1:08 am by CataclysmicKnight.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would read this book because it's not my style at all. I am not going to buy the whole book because it's about war and such things like that. It didn't change me from my original guess. It seems like it was professionally edited. I liked the details and the history though. There could be more information. I didn't see a review, and it has affected my decision.

First Ten review added on December 30, 2016, at 1:47 am by jungkookblog.

truebookaddict

I was immediately interested in this, as it was historical fiction inspired by a true story. I love historical ficiton. I definitely would have chosen to read/sample this outside of this program.

I bought the book and will read the whole book eventually. I'm a fan of historical fiction, and I liked the description. Plus, the proceeds were for charity, and the OBC review convinced me to give it a chance.

The book seems to be well-edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I really enjoyed the scene in the preface between the grandfather and the author as a boy. The author did a great job of depicting a self-centered boy who listened out of politeness at first, but was eventually drawn into the incredible stories his grandfather told. These stories of our past are so important and I think it's wonderful that he chose to take "creative license" and write a story shaped by the lives of his grandparents.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on December 30, 2016, at 6:04 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

At first glance and after reading the OBC review this book looked like something I'd possibly enjoy reading. Although I'm not big into romance, the historical aspect made this appealing, because I do love history. I enjoyed the first few pages and the backstory with the grandfather, but the first few pages were slow going and made it hard to become hooked into the book. After sampling I'm not interested in finishing this book at this time. I didn't see any errors or typos.

First Ten review added on December 30, 2016, at 6:12 am by Cjgarland89.

MarisaRose

Prior to sampling "The Remnants" I would not have chosen to read this book. Based on the blurb, the content didn't really appeal to me. After sampling the first ten pages of the book and reading the official OBC review, I have given significantly more thought to reading this book. I enjoyed the beginning of the book right from the very first page. I enjoyed that the author created a very poignant scene between a grandson and grandfather. I could immediately feel the emotion coming from both characters - the grandfather's painful remembrance of past events and the grandson's yearning to be there for his grandfather. The book is also well written; as a first person perspective this can sometimes be hard. Additionally, the book appears to be professionally edited. The official OBC review also swayed my feelings about this book. The reviewer praised the book and pointed out a lot of aspects I would not have noticed from simply reading the blurb on Amazon.

First Ten review added on December 30, 2016, at 6:54 am by MarisaRose.

Rachaelamb1

I was not interested in this book until I read the OBC official review. To me the cover does not have a historical feel to it. That picture is too general to give me an idea of what type of book it is. I thought the first ten pages were great. The book seems well written and professionally edited. I think it is cool that the author is telling his grandparents story. I do not plan to buy this book because it is not my go-to genre.

First Ten review added on December 30, 2016, at 9:00 am by Rachaelamb1.

Total ~ 36%

This book earned a score of 36%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 36% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Remnants in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The Remnants in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

bookowlie

4-Star Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

sdeerfield82

Want To Read Shelf