Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.2 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on June 26, 2015, at 1:43 pm by LadyS.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781502335784

Of My Own Hand's Weaving

by Mary Boscoletta

The First Ten

Because Of My Own Hand's Weaving was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book based on the cover, as the cover makes it seem as another run–of–the–mill romance. The blurb is too detailed and busy, but the reference to sorcery caught my eye. The book is written in the present tense, not my preferable mode of writing. I didn't connect to the writing, and to be honest I found the beginning a bit boring. The insertion of Italian words into the dialogue, not to mention the broken English, hurt the flow of the reading. I didn't see any official review, more the pity. I won't read the book at this time, as it failed to grab me.

First Ten review added on February 18, 2017, at 10:02 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up because I don't generally like to read romance heavy books. After reading the first ten pages, I don't think I will read the rest. I just am not really interested in this genre and I can't get into the storyline.

First Ten review added on February 18, 2017, at 12:53 pm by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

I think the cover art and the title of this book are both interesting. I thought the description on Amazon was too long and complicated.
After reading the first few pages, I can say that this book seems well-written and professionally edited. Unfortunately the plot is just not something that caught my interest, therefore I do not intend to read the rest of this novel.

First Ten review added on February 18, 2017, at 1:02 pm by Sarah_Khan.

ashley_claire

I don't read romance very often and the premise of this one isn't quite enough to capture my attention based on the blurb. I found the first ten pages hard to read with english being one of the character's second language. Reading so much of his broken speech really interrupted the flow of the book for me. This book really didn't hold my interest and I will not be reading the rest of it.

First Ten review added on February 18, 2017, at 3:26 pm by ashley_claire.

Vermont Reviews

Today's preview of the book of the day Of My Own Hand's Weaving by Mary Boscoletta shows the story of Colombo and Gina (Jeannie) who seem to have more than just friendship on their minds. I decided to see where the story is leading to and downloaded a copy of the book, I have added it to my 2017 reading list. I love the cover art.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on February 18, 2017, at 4:25 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

jamesabr

The story begins right in the middle of an intercultural romance. This is interesting because I was expecting at least a few pages of the author setting the scene. Then again, the beginning of Chapter 1 did set the tone for the whole sample. If I were not a part of this program, I would have likely overlooked the book because romance is not a genre that I typically read. This is mainly due to the fact that there was no review of it on OnlineBookClub, a review site that I trust. My favorite part was the first page because Gina manages to set the tone with her thoughts as narrator. I will purchase this book and read it eventually. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 18, 2017, at 4:45 pm by jamesabr.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I would not have read it. I found the synopsis complicated. Having sampled the book, my opinion remains. I liked how the author describes the characters' feelings and builds their relationship. However, I thought that the sample was a little hard to follow and had many foreign words. The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not come across an Onlinebookclub review for the book. A favorable review may have changed my decision. I found the plot confusing and hence, I will not read the book further.

First Ten review added on February 18, 2017, at 7:34 pm by AA1495.

bookowlie

I didn't care too much for the cover as it made me think the story would be a cheesy romance. The summary didn't interest me either as it is very long and rambling. Also, it's not formatted well as there should be a line break between two of the paragraphs. The sample pages are ok, but the story is a little hard to follow and didn't interest me enough to want to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on February 18, 2017, at 9:32 pm by bookowlie.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. The blurb was too lengthy and I felt like it did not make the book seem intriguing. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I was extremely confused the entire time and I felt disconnected from the characters. It was professionally edited. I did not read an official review but this did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 18, 2017, at 10:34 pm by psychopathycathy.

ZenaLei7

The book didn't seem to be very interesting. I don't really like to read romance novels anyways so I won't read the whole book. I did like how the author incorporated broken English into the dialogues of one of the characters to make him more realistic.

First Ten review added on February 18, 2017, at 11:58 pm by ZenaLei7.

Kdonegan91

The cover and title caught my attention initially. However, I found the first ten pages difficult to finish. I do not like the author's style of writing. Also, it did not interest me. Therefore, I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 2:15 am by Kdonegan91.

SandraTWP-BRW

I would probably not have selected this book on my own - I'm not a fan of romance novels. I think that the cover, title, and description do a good job of communicating that this *is* a romance novel, and so it should attract those who enjoy the genre.

I got the book because it was free, but I will not finish reading the book. The style of the story just isn't appealing to me. I prefer stories that are more action oriented, rather than romance novels.

The sample appeared professionally edited. Nothing caught my eye that appeared to be an editorial or typographical error.

I think the author did a good job in the first ten pages establishing the emotional state of Jeannie, as she vacillates between her attraction and her desire to distance herself. A nice image is created of Col, too, and the scene of their walk in the country is well depicted.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 8:16 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

James Craft

The cover of this one makes the genre super clear, and it isn't one that I would normally be interested in reading. The cover is a little hard to read in certain places but the fact that it is free is nice. All in all, this isn't something I would normally be interested in and after reading the opening of the book I know that it just isn't something I would like.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 8:39 am by James Craft.

L_Therese

When I saw this book, my first thought was that I've seen that cover image before. Whether or not that's true, it hurt my perception of the professionalism of the cover. As i read the description, I didn't think it would be a book I would particularly enjoy. To my surprise, the first ten pages passed surprisingly quickly, and before I knew it, I was on page 41. With that kind of power to draw me in, I'll be finishing the book after all.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 10:58 am by L_Therese.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this read. Though the cover is beautiful and the title is interesting, the lengthy blurb and genre are not of interest to me. On top of this, there aren't that many reviews and no OBC review. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. It looks like the couple is a bit playful, which is always nice in a romance. However, I felt a little lost toward the beginning of the book; it was hard to tell where the story was taking place and what was actually happening. Due to the story not grabbing my attention, I do not plan on finishing this read.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 4:37 pm by hsimone.

Momlovesbooks

The cover clearly depicts this as a romance. I read the description and felt this would be a novel I would enjoy. I downloaded the book and read the first few pages. At first I was confused and thought I had missed reading something. The language was a little hard to follow with broken English being used by one of the characters. However, I was engrossed in the plot and kept reading. I became used to the writing style and made it to the point where the storyline flowed. I'll definitely be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 8:31 pm by Momlovesbooks.

klbradley

After reading the first ten pages of this book, I didn't feel like I was given enough much insight to what it has to offer. The synopsis sounded promising, but I can tell already that there will be a language barrier between the two characters, which seems a bit frustrating while reading. I found no errors within the first ten pages, but I also did not find the official review. I'm going to pass on this one.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 10:17 pm by klbradley.

CataclysmicKnight

It's clear this one is a romance from the cover, and as such I typically wouldn't have looked into it. The Amazon description also makes it sound a bit naughty, another mark against it in my book. However, the first chapter kicked things off really well - it touched on the way things were changing in the 60s, the comparison between two major mindsets about fidelity and was a lot of good dialogue. While I don't see finishing it, I can certainly see recommending it.

First Ten review added on February 19, 2017, at 11:54 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Shelle

This book looked intriguing and fun and I'm glad I got to sample it. The main characters are interesting, but the writing style was a bit disjointed and the plot was fuzzy, so I'm really not sure if I like it or not. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 12:12 am by Shelle.

Gravy

I would not have looked at this book, I rarely read 'non-paranormal' (of some sort) romance, nor historical. I found the large amount of slang to be distracting, especially as it wasn't part of the dialogue, and I wouldn't say it was professionally edited. For these reasons I don't intend to continue with this book.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 1:37 am by Gravy.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the genre. Romance is my go-to genre when I'm picking a book to read. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I didn't like that the characters would say Italian phrases, because I didn't know what they were saying. I also found it difficult to understand which character was the one speaking. I thought the descriptions used were interesting. I also didn't notice any errors in grammar. The overall style of this book isn't for me.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 1:44 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because I am not a big romance fan. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages did not draw me into the book. I did not find a liking to it. It seems professionally edited. I do like how the author introduced the authors. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 2:33 am by jungkookblog.

Insomniac07

I'd never had picked this book up if I hadn't read the sample. Romance isn't a genre that I usually read. However, I'm glad I did sample it because now I'm intrigued about these characters. Who is Gina/Jeannie and what happened in her past? What forced Cal to leave the place he clearly still loves? I already feel like I'm going to like Gina. She came across as a really strong character. I'm not sold on Cal yet, but for Gina's sake, I'm willing to give him a shot. I have downloaded the book and plan on continuing with the story soon. Hoping the rest of the book is as immersive and grammatical error-free as the sample.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 5:16 am by Insomniac07.

Cjgarland89

The cover of this book and the blurb didn't make me interested in reading this one at all. I'm not into romance and this is definitely a romance book. After sampling the first ten, my opinion isn't changed because I just couldn't get into the story at all. I didn't see any errors. There wasn't an OBC review that I found, but it likely wouldn't have changed anything.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 6:19 am by Cjgarland89.

MarisaRose

"Of My Own Hand's Weaving" is not a book I would typically chose to read. I'm not a fan of the romance genre in general. However, I was intrigued by the setting of this novel. After sampling the first ten pages as part of this program, I do not think this book is for me. I dislike the first person narrative style of this book. I found the writing a little boring; there didn't seem to be anything special about the opening of the book. The lack of an OBC review did not impact my decision about this book. I will not be reading the rest of this one.

First Ten review added on February 20, 2017, at 7:54 am by MarisaRose.

Total ~ 20%

This book earned a score of 20%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 20% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Of My Own Hand's Weaving in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Of My Own Hand's Weaving in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

danielleurban23

Want To Read Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

Maryannwrites-15

Want To Read Shelf

broadbosco

Currently Reading Shelf

Elena_D

Want To Read Shelf