OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.3 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on May 28, 2015, at 10:15 pm by AA1495.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Out of the Box Awakening

by Jennifer Theriot

The First Ten

Because Out of the Box Awakening was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

bookowlie

The cover caught my eye with the interesting artwork and stylish font used for the title. However, the picture made me think the book would be some type of holiday fantasy. The summary blurb is well-written and gave a nice flavor of the plot without telling too much. Unfortunately, I don't care for books where a married woman (or man) gets into a romance, and it sounds like this is the case here. The sample pages appear to be professionally edited and the writing has a nice flow. Still, I found the plot to be obvious and cliche right from the start - wife with a picture-perfect life that is unhappy underneath. It's all pushed into the reader's face in the beginning pages rather than having the story unfold.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 10:25 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the title, genre, and the series itself. I usually enjoy romance books. I also noticed the title right away because I actually reviewed the second book in this series and loved it. After reading the first ten pages, I will be finishing this book. As soon as I started reading, I was drawn in to the story of Olivia, whom I had come to know in the second book. I was excited to find out how she got to the point she was in in the second book. The book did seem to be professionally edited. I am definitely excited about this book.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 10:39 am by anneloretrujillo.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Sarah_Khan

I like the cover art of this novel, it is simple yet sophisticated. The title also piques my curiosity. I could not find anything original in the blurb and after reading the first few pages, the only thing I have to say is that although it is well-written and professionally edited, the plot is something I have seen way too many times before, therefore I do not intend to read the rest of this novel.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 10:54 am by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

Today's choice for book of the day Out of the Box Awakening by Jennifer Theriot was impressive from the first sentence on. The preview was enticing and demanded that I download the balance of the book to see how the story finished. Jennifer does a great job with her descriptions that build the word pictures to show her readers each move of the characters. Olivia Peterson the main character has her life tossed as her husband Alan gets transferred to Chicago. The idea was so that he would not have to travel so much. Wrong... from the time the plane takes off she seems to have more time with Ash than Alan. Looking forward to finishing this one. Thanks for offering your book for free. I also like the cover. For some reason this year I've read many romance books. This used to be one of the areas that I steered away from, but now find that I enjoy reading. This one is impressive.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 11:59 am by Vermont Reviews.

chocomeiske

Since I am not a huge fan of the Romance genre, this book in no way would have appealed to me. Having read the OBC review, I admit to being somewhat intrigued since it sounds like an enjoyable and uncomplicated read. Having read the first ten pages, I feel compelled to continue reading. I like the writing style; it is clear and concise. The characters, situations and dialogue are all realistic. I didn't come across any mistakes that would make me think this book hasn't been professionally edited. From what I've read so far, I like that the main character is a book lover. I could see a bit of myself in her.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 1:11 pm by chocomeiske.

ALynnPowers

I can already see myself getting teary-eyed at this book. The themes of unwanted change, starting over, and finding oneself are imminent, and I never really read about these themes for characters of this age. Even after only 10 pages, I can already relate to Olivia and the feeling she has of not really having her own identity-- her life having revolved around her husband and children for the majority of her life. I thought I would have trouble relating to her due to our age differences, but the writing flows so smoothly that I just couldn't help getting attached already. I got this book for free, so I think I will definitely give it a try.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 1:30 pm by ALynnPowers.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book without the program as I don't read that many romance books. I love the cover and find the blurb informative. The official review further had me hooked. I enjoyed the sample and liked the writing. I find it cool that the heroine got a kindle! Usually I don't like it when a married woman is having an affair, but I understand that heroine has extenuating circumstances. As I love books about mature people and second chances, I will give the book a chance and read the balance of the book eventually.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 2:46 pm by gali.

hsimone

The title and cover are both appealing to me. The blurb is interesting and the genre (romance) is one I lean towards. The over 200 reviews are mostly positive, which is great. With all of this and the positive OBC review would lean me into sampling this read even without this program.

Based on the bit that I read, there were a couple of inconsistencies. For instance, the author wrote "over-think things" and "overthink things", which are the same words, but one has a hyphen while the other does not.

I really liked how the author had Olivia be so open about her feelings/thoughts about her marriage from the beginning. It really makes the character more relatable and likable. Aside from the couple of inconsistencies, I don't see how the author can improve upon her story. It was hard to put down! Therefore, I plan on finishing this book at some point.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 3:12 pm by hsimone.

CrescentMoon

I like the cover of the book, I think the glow from the box is really eye-catching and pretty. I think the title is interesting and makes it mysterious. After reading the blurb, I really don't think this book is for me. Although I do sometimes enjoy reading romance, this book sounds like stories like "He's just not that into you" and "Love Actually" where multiple story lines come together. I'm not a fan of those at all. After reading the first ten pages, I am just not hooked or interested in reading the rest. The writing is not bad but I am not the target audience for this book.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 4:22 pm by CrescentMoon.

jungkookblog

I think I would have read this book if it wasn't for the The First Ten program, because of the title and the cover. It interests me how the title says "Out of the Box Awakening" I think the word "Awakening" caught my attention. I don't think I am going to read the whole book because I'm not a big romance fan. The first ten pages did indeed change my mind. I thought it was going to be a fantasy book. It seems like it was professionally edited. I liked how she talked about her past life with her husband. Something that could be improved is what about the background with her girlfriends? I did not see a OnlineBookClub review, and it did impact my decision. If I read a review, then I'll probably have more fo an idea of what the book is about.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 7:12 pm by jungkookblog.

CataclysmicKnight

I'm typically not a fan of romance unless there's a really solid fantasy or sci-fi plot to go along with it, but was a bit intrigued by this one with how well-rated it was. In the first ten pages it definitely felt much more relatable than I'd have expected, although the underwear talk wasn't exactly my style. The writing style is great and the editing is top-notch. While it's clear lots of people like this on, and I'm sure many more people will enjoy it in the future, I'm not going to finish it myself.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 9:35 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Gravy

Romance is not my genre, so this wouldn't interest me. There were some errors, but nothing worth noting.
The writing is not a style I would want to read. I'm not a fan of this character and find her very weak.
As this is not my genre and I can't get behind the character, I won't be reading this.

First Ten review added on November 15, 2016, at 10:17 pm by Gravy.

L_Therese

Since the cover didn't give me a lot of hints about what to expect from this book, I turned to the review instead. There, I learned that there might be some quality character development inside, but the plot centers around the growth of relationships rather than a sequence of events. I wasn't too enthused. In the first ten pages, I met the protagonist/narrator, and though she may become round and interesting, she didn't capture my attention right off. It doesn't help that she is in a very different place in her life than I am, and I am expecting a plot based on life transitions. This may well be an excellent book, but it isn't initially appealing enough for me to put it on my list.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2016, at 1:30 am by L_Therese.

klbradley

I remember when another one of this author's books was the Book of the Day and it had amazing reviews, and I really enjoyed the first ten pages. For some reason, I ended up not reading that first one. Because I also enjoy the first ten pages of this book, I have decided to go back and read the other one along with this one.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2016, at 9:00 am by klbradley.

Rachel1019

The cover and the title don't reveal much about the content of the book itself. That is, until you start reading it. The book is about a middle aged woman who is going on a journey, and even after just a few short pages, it is easy to tell that she is going to go through some change. According to the title, she is going to go through an awakening. This would be a fantastic book for some of the middle aged generation, but as I am nowhere close to that yet, it does not seem like I will get much from the book. But it is incredibly well-written, and I would definitely recommend it to others.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2016, at 9:37 am by Rachel1019.

MarisaRose

If I had not sampled the first ten pages I think I still would have chosen to download this book; the glowing reviews, the interesting cover, and the synopsis all caught my interest even though I do not typically read a lot of romance novels. The book was free as part of BOTD so I have already purchased it for my kindle and plan to finish the story. The book appears to be professionally edited and from the first ten pages I can tell the writing is solid. I immediately liked the main character, Olivia. I like that she is not a typical main character, she is a 50 something trying to reinvent herself; I immediately wanted to learn more about Olivia and see where the book takes her! I did see the Official OnlineBookClub review and the 4 star rating definitely sparked my interest! I will finish this book because I am interested in Olivia; I like that this book seems different from other romance novels I have read. Additionally, the first ten pages already filled me with tons of questions, what will Olivia's relationship with her husband be as she moves to this new place? Will she have a hard time adjusting to her new environment? I think if I had not read the first ten pages I still would have purchased this book because it was free, but I don't know that I would have immediately started reading it!

First Ten review added on November 16, 2016, at 2:27 pm by MarisaRose.

Momlovesbooks

The OBC review of this book was very positive. It made this seem like something I would enjoy reading. I like romance novels, so read the first few pages expecting to enjoy this one. I was not disappointed. The plot seems interesting and the main character is a little older than most heroines in love stories. I look forward to reading this one and seeing the outcome of this romance.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2016, at 8:11 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Cjgarland89

I enjoyed reading this sample. Learning about Llivia and her family I couldn't help but feel many similarities with her. It's difficult not to lose yourself being a stay at home parent and wife at times. That was my favorite part was hearing her struggle with loving to be both, but also feeling lost within herself. This book is very well written and easy to follow with no errors in the sample. I did not look at the OBC review, but just the sample convinced me to complete the book, and I definitely will be doing just that.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2016, at 8:13 pm by Cjgarland89.

Kdonegan91

The cover of this book is eye-catching and the title is unique. After reading the first ten pages, I am hooked on this book. It relates to me in so many ways. I feel like I am in Olivia's shoes in her early years. I am a young stay at home mom who gave up everything for her family. I wouldn't change it either but still feel like I'm losing myself. Before reading the beginning of this book, I probably wouldn't have purchased it because there was nothing specific that caught my attention enough.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2016, at 8:49 pm by Kdonegan91.

Shelle

I like a good chick-lit read and was glad to have the opportunity to sample this book. The story hooked me right away and I really cared about the characters. I liked the writing style and found it easy to follow. This book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on November 16, 2016, at 11:39 pm by Shelle.

psychopathycathy

I would read this book because the cover is beautiful and the blurb looks interesting. I have not changed my mind after reading the sample. The story so far is written smoothly, and I can already feel the emotions that the main character is feeling. It was professionally edited and not reading an official review did not change my point of view.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2016, at 4:06 am by psychopathycathy.

truebookaddict

I do not usually read or purchase romances so probably would not have chosen to read this if it wasn't for this program.

As the book was offered for free, I did download it and I do plan on reading the whole book eventually. I immediately warmed to Olivia and I'd like to find out how her story ends.

The editing seems to be professional. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

As I mentioned above, I really liked Olivia. A perfect example of a character at a crossroads. As I'm not too far behind her in age, I could certainly relate to a lot of how she was feeling. I enjoyed reading the first ten+ pages. I felt like I was having a conversation with a friend.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2016, at 5:10 am by truebookaddict.

amybo82

The reviewer comments and book blurb are overall positive. I do not usually read romance books, so this is not a book I would have typically sought. However, after reading the Online Book Club official review, I was intrigued to read more about the book. Having read the first ten pages, I have to stick with my original decision that this is not a book I would enjoy. The main character seems weak and helpless. She has given up everything she cares about for a man who doesn't seem to even consider her feelings. I am not going to read the rest of this book because it hasn't piqued my interest, I do not care for the main character, and I am not a big romance fan. The book is written well, and its first person narrative is easy to read. It would be a good selection for fans of the genre.

First Ten review added on November 17, 2016, at 7:08 am by amybo82.

Total ~ 61%

This book earned a score of 61%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 61% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Out of the Box Awakening in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Out of the Box Awakening in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

AA1495

4-Star Shelf

Sunspots

Want To Read Shelf

meltbanana

Want To Read Shelf

boaz6676

Want To Read Shelf

Vermont Reviews

Want To Read Shelf

bluemel4

Want To Read Shelf