Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 2.6 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on May 22, 2015, at 4:59 pm by Heather.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Guardian of Paradise

by W.E. Lawrence

The First Ten

Because Guardian of Paradise was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

L_Therese

The cover of this book is beautiful, but I noted almost immediately that it is intended for young adults. The plot description was interesting, but I question its realism in historical and geographical context. Nevertheless, I looked forward to trying the sample. In ten pages, there was already the beginning of plot set-up for both the main storyline and the romance sub-plot. The part that really made me definitely decide not to read the book, though, was my negative perception of Kira and Trevor. I found them arrogant and unlikable in my first encounters with the characters. As a result, I will not be finishing this book.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 11:20 am by L_Therese.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

I was not too interested in the book after reading the summary blurb. The blurb was a little boring and overly detailed, and the subject matter is not my reading preference. I also didn't care for the sample pages, with an overflow of adjectives about every little thing. The sample appears to be professionally edited and technically well-written. However, the writing style is a little wordy and I found it hard to become absorbed in the story. I also read the Official Review, and agree with the reviewer's comments about the story being a little hard to follow and there being a lack of interest.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 12:13 pm by bookowlie.

Rachaelamb1

I like the cover, but I don't usually read romance novels. I thought the first ten pages were good, though I admit the constant use of accents in the dialogue is annoying to me. The story starts out with an interesting dilemma. Having read all 4 official reviews on OBC, I know the romance aspect of the book will bother me. For that reason, I am not going to buy the book. It did seem well-edited.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 12:13 pm by Rachaelamb1.

klbradley

The cover on this one automatically caught my attention! Those colors are amazing! I also read the review on this one, and it was fantastic. Kira's character seems so relatable, and someone I think I would enjoy reading about because of her determination. The editing seems done well, with no complaints.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 1:12 pm by klbradley.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

CrescentMoon

I really like the cover of this book. It is very eye-catching, colorful, and perfectly captures the romance genre with the two main leads staring at each other. I really like the title too because it sounds interesting. After reading the blurb, however, I would not pick up this book. This book sounds like a historical romance, and although I sometimes enjoy reading historical fiction, I'm not a fan of historical romance very much. After reading the first ten pages, I will not continue reading the rest. The writing style is direct and I am glad to see that it has been edited from previous versions. However, I am not the target audience for this book.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 1:51 pm by CrescentMoon.

Vermont Reviews

I enjoyed the preview of Guardian of Paradise by W.E. Lawrence. At this time my reading schedule is overbooked. So I will not be downloading this book. My favorite character of the book is Kira. I did read over the reviews as well. The story appears to have been professionally proofed and edited.
Glad this one was picked for book of the day.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 2:39 pm by Vermont Reviews.

gali

For start, I have to say that the cover is beautiful. The blurb was clear but too detailed, revealing far too many details about the book. The last official review had me more hooked. I was surprised there were four different reviews on the books, each with a different score, but I understand the book was revised and re-edited. The sample indeed seems well edited and started well, with the coming of the ship to the island. I don't read a lot of romances, but when I do I usually pick those with care. The book seems like a good book for fans of the genre, but its premise isn't different from many others I have read. Because of that and as I have too many books on my reading list as it is, I won't buy the book at this point.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 2:52 pm by gali.

CataclysmicKnight

The cover to this one was beautiful and I figured it must have either been an adventure or romance novel, and a quick perusal of the "about the book" on Amazon made it clear this was the latter. The story's concept is quite interesting, and so far the book is written and edited very well, but it's a bit long for me (just shy of 400 pages). As such, while it seems great, I don't think I'll ever finish it.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 5:13 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Kdonegan91

Firstly, I love what I have read so far. I love the mystery, emotions, and drama that I have already discovered in the sample. I enjoy how the author describes the settings and character in perfect detail. I can see myself there with them. The cover is attractive and the title is great. When I first saw the book, I thought it was going to be about something entirely different. I thought it was going to be a religion themed book. During the first page I was kind of disappointed that it was not a christian themed book but as I read I was taken on a wonderful journey. I am sad the sample is over but I will definitely be buying the book. I have nothing negative to say about the text, cover, or title.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 6:10 pm by Kdonegan91.

Shelle

I was intrigued by the cover and blurb of this book and very glad to have the opportunity to sample it. I enjoyed the writing style and the story seems interesting. I typically like historical fiction and this one seems right up my alley. While I'm not in an historical fiction in paradise mood right now, I will put this book on my list for later.

First Ten review added on October 25, 2016, at 11:26 pm by Shelle.

lane_vespertine

This one is probably going to be added to my long list of "will read." It starts with an interesting encounter and isn't too heavy on exposition yet. Just what I like in the beginning of a book. Not to mention the professionalism of the dialogue! The cover makes it seem like quite the romance, so who is to say if I will get bored of that and not finish it, but the quality of the writing at the beginning is enough for me to venture forward.

First Ten review added on October 26, 2016, at 1:15 am by lane_vespertine.

Gravy

From the cover, blurb, and sample, this seems like a nice addition to the romance genre. I noticed no errors, and the blurb is well written (though a bit lengthy). The cover may have caught my eye, so I might have looked at this book, but I'm not a fan of the genre, so I wouldn't have continued.
I wasn't s big fan of the characters. But this was likely just preference.
I won't be continuing, due to my reading preferences.

First Ten review added on October 26, 2016, at 4:19 am by Gravy.

psychopathycathy

If I had not sampled this book, I would not have read it. I was immediately drawn in by the beautiful cover, but I lost interest while reading the synopsis. The sample was very straightforward and I enjoyed the writing style. I thought the accents were a little hard to read and I stumbled over them; although I understand that they were here for distinct identification, I think it hindered the sample more than it helped. I will not be finishing this book, but I think it was professionally edited, and my decision was unaffected by the OnlineBookClub official reviews.

First Ten review added on October 26, 2016, at 6:52 am by psychopathycathy.

hsimone

Based on the beautiful cover, great title, interesting blurb, great reviews, and the genre (romance and adventure), I probably would have sampled this on my own.

While reading, I did not find any errors. Therefore, the book appears to be professionally edited. I really loved the feel of the book. What I mean is the isolated island setting, and Kira and Kupe looking at the ship arriving. Also, Kira seems like an intelligent and "with-it" kind of character, so I was drawn to her immediately. I do wonder if the accent of the native people on the land will confuse me. For example, "tat" for "that". I will admit I slowed down my reading to make sure I understood. However, I wouldn't call this a "flaw"; I feel it gives the book more depth. Overall, I really enjoyed the sample, and will therefore buy the book and finish reading it.

First Ten review added on October 26, 2016, at 7:49 am by hsimone.

Sarah_Khan

I really like the title of this book and the cover art. The plot also seems very interesting so I might have picked this up even if it was not part of the First Ten program. After reading a few pages, I can say that the book is well-edited and well-written and I already like two of the main characters. I can definitely see myself reading the rest of this novel.

First Ten review added on October 26, 2016, at 10:20 am by Sarah_Khan.

Cjgarland89

I wouldn't have normally sampled this book due to the romance theme, however the OBC review made it sound a little interesting. After sampling I don't think I will finish this book as I couldn't get too deep into it. Kira seems like a well developed character but not relatable for me. It is edited well, and would likely be a great choice for those who enjoy romance books.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2016, at 6:49 am by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

I would not have chosen to sample this, had I not participated in the first ten pages program, due to the genre being referenced as romance.

I will not buy and read the whole book because the price is above my eBook spending limit. That being said, reading the first ten pages did change my mind from my original guess. The sample read like good historical fiction, and if the price was in my range, I would definitely consider buying and reading the whole book.

The books seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice any typos or grammatical errors.

I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that this book was set in the past. I must have missed that fact when I read the synopsis on Amazon. I thought the first ten pages read like really great historical fiction. Kira's interaction with her friend, the native tribesman, was very authentic. Also, the beginning sets up well what promises to be an interesting historical adventure.

This book was officially reviewed by OBC.

First Ten review added on October 27, 2016, at 8:35 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 29%

This book earned a score of 29%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 29% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Guardian of Paradise in their shelves?

24 members have Guardian of Paradise in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Heather

1-Star Shelf

Queen Carmen

2-Star Shelf

lmoses

3-Star Shelf

AA1495

4-Star Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

krysttie

Want To Read Shelf