Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 2.8 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on March 19, 2017, at 8:55 am by hsimone.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781537496474

Alzheimer's and Dementia: Paths to Take

by Anne Elizabeth Nixon

The First Ten

Because Alzheimer's and Dementia: Paths to Take was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as it isn't a book that I normally gravitate to. The cover is fitting and the blurb informative. The sample was well written, and much more interesting that I expected. This seems like a helpful and insightful guide, and the official review strengthens that impression. However, I won't read the book as its theme is a touching subject for me. I am familiar with the illness, and the book brings to mind painful memories I prefer to forget.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 10:07 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

James Craft

This book caught my attention right from the start. The writing isn't easy to read on the cover, which was a misstep, but the cover itself is compelling and the topic deserves coverage. The actual content of the book seems well-put together and researched, and I think it is a topic worth covering. I think it is worth having this kind of book around to understand more about the issues and how to help people suffering with this. I'll definitely be continuing this and seeing what else the author has in store for helping with something like Alzheimer's and seeing what sort of research the book includes.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 10:49 am by James Craft.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

ashley_claire

I don't have anyone in my life at the moment who is suffering from Alzheimer's or dementia, so I'm not the target audience for this book. I like the cover of the book and think it is appropriate for the subject matter. I thought the first ten pages were written well and the writing had an enjoyable quality. It shows that dementia and Alzheimer's can affect anyone, even those with no prior medical conditions. I thought the first ten pages were full of useful information and if I had need of the information or knew of anyone who did, I would definitely recommend this book. But as I don't have any need for this type of book right now, I won't be reading the rest of it.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 11:24 am by ashley_claire.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read fiction books. Having read the sample, I liked how the author used personal experiences. The sample was easy to read and follow. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. The author's efforts are evident, and hence I think I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 12:51 pm by AA1495.

SandraTWP-BRW

I'm not a big fan of this cover. I like the individual elements, but I find that way the text overlays the image of the two hands makes it hard to read. The reviews are a good encouragement to me, and the blurb sounded interesting.

The excerpt I read was outstanding. The narrative is related in a straightforward manner that is emotionally honest without being maudlin. The author admirably describes the experiences of herself and her husband in a clear, dispassionate manner. As a reader, I sensed grief, but also serenity and a firm sense of the practical. I very much appreciated the way she interspersed short pieces of advice between or immediately following anecdotal examples.

There were some places I noticed inconsistency in spacing between paragraphs. I noticed no other editorial or typographical errors.

I will be finishing reading this book. It is short, compelling, and I have so far found much value in it beyond the topic of navigating the declining health of a loved one.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 1:34 pm by SandraTWP-BRW.

Vermont Reviews

Alzheimer's and Dementia:Paths to Take by Anne Elizabeth Nixon shows how the author learned to deal with two of the illnesses that some of us will experience as we approach our older years. I enjoyed the preview and decided to add this one to my 2017 reading list.
Very informative and information that we all can use.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 3:03 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CrescentMoon

I don't think this book is for me after reading the blurb. This definitely sounds like a good guide book for those who have family members struggling with Alzheimer's or any other life changing disease. I am not really interested in this subject matter personally so I won't read the rest but I'm sure others would find great value in this kind of book.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 3:13 pm by CrescentMoon.

chocomeiske

Alzheimer's and dementia are so scary. The sample was emotional to read as we see how things were before and how things changed after the onset of these. I felt touched and scared at the same time. I can't recall any glaring editing issues.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 3:54 pm by chocomeiske.

CataclysmicKnight

I've always had a pretty terrible memory, so dementia and Alzheimer's have always been things I've worried about. This is a very short read (50 pages), so having read the first ten pages is already 20% of the total. As such, I'll certainly finish reading it! So far it seems a bit all over the place, but it also seems very genuine and the little looks into their lives are interesting.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 4:54 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Bfrisco

I would have looked into this book based on the title and the summary. The cover is also appropriate for the subject matter of this book. Ordinarily, I might not have looked into this book, but I recently had a family member diagnosed with dementia, so I'm very interested in more information about this topic. The book seemed like it might need some professional editing. I noticed one instance where the author should have used a comma, and the writing has a somewhat inconsistent tone, but overall I still felt the book was very readable. I will continue reading this book. I appreciated that the author wrote from a very personal perspective while also including facts for the reader. The photographs also help to make the story more personal for the reader.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 5:49 pm by Bfrisco.

Scerakor

This book didn't necessarily attract me by the reviews, cover, and blurb by itself. This is likely because a book about the complications, conditions, and issues that plague us when we get older is not one of the topics I gravitate towards. After reading the first ten pages, however, I realised that this book definitely has its place for everyone. We will likely have someone close to us, or know someone that does, who either suffers from Dementia or Alzheimer's disease, and if we are even a little bit better informed, we could likely deal with this in a better way. The first ten pages here demonstrated to me that not only is this a professionally edited/written book, there is a lot of love and passion behind it. Before talking much about the disease itself, Mrs. Nixon has put us in her shoes and given us a taste of her life. I will likely read the rest of this book as it is fairly short and will make me just a little bit more knowledgeable on the subject in case I have to live with this alongside a family member in the future. The OBC official review that I read did not affect my decision in any way.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 6:18 pm by Scerakor.

jamesabr

This book was really fascinating. The bits of information between stories that caused me to evaluate the change in Don Nixon's behavior was especially interesting. If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would have sampled this book due to the positive review it received on Online Book Club combined with the intrigue in Alzheimer's and Dementia. Both of these diseases run in my family. I will definitely purchase and read this book. There were no typos.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 6:29 pm by jamesabr.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I like the cover of this novel. I thought the blurb was very well-written and concise. After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this book is easy-to-read and professionally edited. I like the fact that this book is written from the author's own experience and that it does not use words that are difficult to understand. I will not be reading the rest of this novel because it does not affect me personally, but I can see how this would be a helpful book.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 6:49 pm by Sarah_Khan.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. It is short and seems informative. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I was pleasantly surprised by how personal the narrative voice was, especially how Don was introduced. I am interested and want to learn more. The official review reinforced my thinking. It was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 7:23 pm by psychopathycathy.

mratdegraff91

This book seems like a beautiful piece full of interesting information based on the summary provided. The OnlineBookClub review gave it a 4 out of 4 stars, which is extremely helpful for me. I work in a field of healthcare where many patients I see have on or the other disease. This would be great to share with the families of these patients and may provide something helpful to me as well. This is one of those books that I am very excited to read even more so after sampling it.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 7:52 pm by mratdegraff91.

bookowlie

The Amazon blurb is well written and gave me a good flavor of what the book is about. I always wanted to know more about Alzheimer's, in case any of my loved ones show signs of this disease. I found the sample pages interesting and heartfelt, particularly the important comments in italics. The writing has a nice flow and appears to be professionally edited. The only thing I didn't care was the bland style of the cover and the impersonal title "Paths to Take." I think such a personal, heartfelt story should have a less impersonal title.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 9:33 pm by bookowlie.

Kdonegan91

At first glance, this book did not interest me simply because I do not desire to educate myself about the topic. After reading the sample, my perspective did not change even though the author's style of writing was superb. The author is relatable and honest. However, I am not going to read this book because I do not know anyone with this disease and I am not personally affected by it.

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 10:13 pm by Kdonegan91.

klbradley

The cover for this book seems like an excellent choice for the theme expressed. I've been interested in Alzheimer's since a show I watch often had several episodes revolving around the complications that arise along with it. I can see how this book would be a perfect choice for readers with loved ones suffering from alzheimer's. I probably will not continue this one, but wish the author the best of success!

First Ten review added on March 21, 2017, at 10:33 pm by klbradley.

Gravy

I would suggest an edit for this. There were parts I needed to reread to catch exactly who was being referred to, things like that. There are also some errors in the description on Amazon.

I liked how much passion the author brought to the subject. It's very clear how much she cares, and that translates well.

The cover is welcoming, which is perfect for the subject. I'm not the audience for this book (and forgive me for saying that I hope I never will be), so I'm not going to continue at this point. However, I will keep it in mind.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 1:31 am by Gravy.

ananya92

What distinguishes this booklet from several others dealing with the same issue, is the author's first hand experience of caregiving for someone suffering from Dementia/Alzheimer's. The personalized touch of the author, like how she couldn't realize the symptoms for what they were initially, how she decided to get the POA to make crucial decisions for her husband, etc, would really prove helpful for readers who are facing similar situation. Apart from being informative, this booklet also deals with practical issues like how to gently and sensitively care for a patient. The review of this book was extremely positive and its short length make it an easy and enlightening read. Therefore, I would peruse this booklet.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 2:34 am by ananya92.

L_Therese

I loved this book's cover and title. It was both clear as to what the reader can expect and warm. As I read the opening pages, I appreciated the tidbits of knowledge sprinkled among the author's memories. It felt like she was quoting or summarizing things she had learned that she wished she knew at the time she was narrating. If I had a loved one facing Alzheimer's disease, this would be a great book. Since I don't, I'm going to let it pass for now.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 8:34 am by L_Therese.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I was interested in reading this book. However after reading the OBC review I don't think I want to read any more emotional stories right now. The author provides a lot of information on her experiences and I can definitely appreciate that, having seen what Alzheimer's can do to a person and family. I didn't see any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 9:08 am by Cjgarland89.

kstockard

I would not have chosen to read this book for multiple reasons. I don't have personal experience with Alzheimers and Dementia. None of my loved ones suffer from these ailments. I am blessed that this is the case. The title and cover wouldn't draw me to the book either. I'm not going to continue to read this book, not because the book is bad, but because the content does not apply to my life. The editing seems like it was professionally done which makes it easier to read.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 2:24 pm by kstockard.

MarisaRose

I would not have originally chosen to read "Alzheimer's and Dementia: Paths to Take" because it is not a subject that has affected my life and thus I have never had any interest in learning more about it. Further, I think the topic is rather sad and I don't know if I would enjoy reading about it. After reading the glowing OBC review, I decided to sample the beginning of this book for the First Ten program. Based on the sample, my favorite part was the writing. I thought the author did a good job evoking emotion through the first person narrative. I didn't realize at first that this book was based on first hand experience. I didn't find any major detractors in the book or any editorial issues. However, I was not hooked by the beginning of the narrative and since the overall topic does not interest me, I am not going to finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 3:59 pm by MarisaRose.

kio

The cover, title, and blurb were not the most appealing. The description jumped around a lot and was confusing. Customer reviews were a bit on the short side and didn’t really give a great feel for the book.

The review on Online Book Club was well done and shed a lot of light on the book. I think if I had known of the review it might’ve swayed me to read it.

The first ten pages are funny, heartfelt, and enjoyable. They are well-written and reflected personal experience of early Dementia. The pages are edited well and, if I had a family member with dementia, I would continue to read. My favorite part was the golf stories where he kept breaking his driver. I could relate to that and it gave me a bit more perspective about dementia. Overall, I don’t think, however that I will continue reading the book. Not being in that kind of situation, I don’t see myself becoming engaged much in the book.

First Ten review added on March 22, 2017, at 5:43 pm by kio.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the title, blurb and OBC review. My grandfather had dementia, so I was definitely interested in the content. After reading the first ten pages, I will be finishing his book. I like the way the first chapter started with some background information. I also really like the length of the book. My only problem is that the paragraphs were not indented in the copy I downloaded. There was not an extra space between them either. It made it difficult to tell where the new paragraph started. The book did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 12:10 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because I don't think this book will be necessary for me, but I'm sure there are many other people that need this book. From what I read, I will not be reading this book because I feel like I'm still too young to be able to relate to this book. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 1:54 am by jungkookblog.

hsimone

Based on the topic at hand, I'm not sure if I would have sampled this read without this program. I do find the cover pleasing and the reviews seem to positive, including the OBC one. However, I would not have picked this up on my own. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like how the author ties in her personal experiences with Dementia and Alzheimer's right from the beginning. For me, I tend to lean toward non-fiction when there is a personal aspect attached. Though, I'm not sure how I feel about the sort of 'interruptions' of the story; I am speaking in regards to the italicized words. Overall, since this is a rather short read on a topic that I know little about, I do believe I will finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on March 23, 2017, at 7:29 am by hsimone.

Total ~ 50%

This book earned a score of 50%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 50% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Alzheimer's and Dementia: Paths to Take in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Alzheimer's and Dementia: Paths to Take in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Scerakor

4-Star Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

DEBBIE SMITH

Want To Read Shelf

Majikalone

Currently Reading Shelf

Maryannwrites-15

Want To Read Shelf