Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 4.0 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on March 5, 2017, at 7:00 pm by MarisaRose.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy

by Ira L. White

The First Ten

Because We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

ashley_claire

I'm not a huge fan of the cover of this book, it's hard to guess what the book is about based on the cover alone. This isn't a book I would normally go for because I don't read a lot of books based on family drama. The first ten pages seemed to be professionally edited. Unfortunately, the first ten pages didn't do much to change my mind about my initial impression of the book. I just didn't care enough about the characters to want to continue reading about what will happen next in their lives. I'm looking for books that are more fast-paced at the moment.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 10:31 am by ashley_claire.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own as Political Thrillers aren't my preferable read. The cover is nice and the blurb informative and to the point. The sample started well, describing McGillicuddy and his relationship with his son, but it didn't really pull me in. I found the writing style a little stilted and the pace was far too slow for my taste. I am sure it is a good book, alas it isn't for me. I won't buy the book as its subject matter isn't something that interests me. The official review didn't affect my decision either way.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 10:47 am by gali.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. While the cover and title are interesting, I do not read the genre usually. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. Overall, the sample seemed well written and edited. However, I found certain descriptions excessive. The book has a favorable onlinebookclub review. Since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be purchasing the book today.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 11:21 am by AA1495.

James Craft

This one looks like something worth checking out and got a perfect review from OBC. The cover is interesting with the color scheme and definitely provocative, but after reading the opening of the book I don't think I will be continuing. It just didn't strike me as something I would like to continue reading and so I won't be buying a copy today. It seems worthwhile but not my kind of book.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 1:28 pm by James Craft.

Sarah_Khan

The title and the cover art of this book immediately draw me in and make me want to find out more. I thought the blurb was adequately written and it was nice to read the online book club review to get a little more information about the plot.
After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this novel seems professionally edited and well-written. The premise is also interesting. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to read this book now, therefore I do not intend to purchase it today.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 1:47 pm by Sarah_Khan.

hsimone

I think the cover is interesting; it looks serious, yet not at the same time. The title is heart-warming, and the concise blurb does pique my interest. I do like a good thriller and this one seems like an interesting one since it speaks about the value of family and of Alzheimer's. There are only two reviews, including the OBC one, however, both are positive. Therefore, I would have sampled this read on my own.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. The author's writing style while explaining Gil's background is clear and easy-to-follow. Also, Gil seems like the type of character I can easily like due to learning about his upbringing. Though I did think the change from when reflecting on Gil's childhood to his adulthood was a bit abrupt. I had to re-read to make sure I didn't miss something. However, I do like the author's writing style and the premise of this book. Therefore, I do plan on purchasing the book and finishing the read eventually.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 2:09 pm by hsimone.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

ananya92

This book centers on Robert and his daily struggles caring for his family. What really impressed me about the book, was the believability of the conversations between Robert and Gil, his aging father, who probably suffers from dementia. Robert's sympathetic but strict attitude towards Gil, and Gil's innocent need to be helpful for his family, so that they would remember him fondly; was spot-on. The author uses simple language to make her point and the paints flesh-and-blood characters that the readers can relate to. The book seems to be professionally edited.The excellent review and the description confirmed my belief that this book is both emotionally satisfying and has a nice twist to it as well. Therefore, I'll give this one a try.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 2:10 pm by ananya92.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. The blurb sounds very interesting. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I really liked the anecdote that the story began with, and the writing was engaging and fluent. It was professionally edited. The official review I read did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 4:06 pm by psychopathycathy.

Shelle

This book looked interesting and I was happy to sample it. The setting is near my home town and it was fun to see some places I actually knew written into the story. I really like the idea of exploring being a caretaker of someone with Dementia. However, it appears this book will get political fast and I just can't do that to myself any longer, so I will pass. This book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 4:09 pm by Shelle.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb I don't think this book is for me. It sounds like a really emotionally charged book and I usually have to be in the mood to read books like that. I also like more action packed stories. I don't think this is for me but I am sure others would appreciate it.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 4:17 pm by CrescentMoon.

Vermont Reviews

We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy by Ira L. White is one that I really wanted to purchase before I had even gotten to the end of the first couple of paragraphs. Well written with believable characters. As we all are getting older dementia and other types of memory problems seem to affect many of us. I purchased this one based on the preview.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 4:26 pm by Vermont Reviews.

CataclysmicKnight

The cover of this one really drew me in, and the Amazon description seems like there's a lot of awesomeness going on. However, when I started reading the book took a bit too long to get interesting. It definitely got better by the end - there was some humor and perhaps some allusion to the plot - but it just didn't pull me in enough to purchase it.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 10:32 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

jamesabr

This book was well written. If I were not a part of the First Ten Program, I would have likely sampled it due to the Online Book Club Review of it. The review emphasized the complex plot, including the blog that Mr. McGillicuddy writes. Overall, my sampling of this piece was interesting. The exposition wasn't forced, and the shift from McGillicuddy's youth to old age helped me understand his character's motivations. The most interesting part for me was the old man's application of the baby oil. He seemed to form a habit that may stick with him. I will purchase and continue reading this book because I am intrigued by the turn of events that the Online Book Club review mentions occurs later on. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 11:36 pm by jamesabr.

Scerakor

The cover, blurb, and reviews of this book weren't very exciting for me and based on these alone, I wouldn't pick up the book. There doesn't seem to be much going on with the book and therefore doesn't fit in with what I would normally read. After reading the first ten pages, I haven't changed my mind; the book seems much slower than what I would usually read and there isn't enough to be catching/keeping my attention. I did like how descriptive the author is about the surroundings and the people though, and the book does seem well written and edited. The OBC review that I read did not affect my decision to not buy, and finish reading, this book.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 11:41 pm by Scerakor.

Shreyoshi Sen

The book is well written and well edited too. The book was not that interesting as it was too emotional for me. The review was well written and gave me an idea about the plot.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 11:48 pm by Shreyoshi Sen.

Amagine

Just by reading the sample, I got the sense that this book would be endearing and a little sad. The writing is very descriptive, the plot has an easy flow, the characters are well constructed and I loved the humor in the story. It is also very interesting that the main protagonist is an old man who can't do everything himself. I think a character like that adds more depth to the story. I would be interested in reading more.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 12:43 am by Amagine.

Christina O Phillips

I said that I would not purchase this book because although the summary sounded interesting, I read the sample and could not continue for two reasons. The first reason is that someone close to me recently suffered a stroke and although having aphasia is not the same as dementia, there are similarities in the behavior. Right now that issue is too close to home for me to read a fictionalized version of. The second reason is that summary mentioned other storylines besides the dementia, but the sample did not have enough of these to make me want to keep reading.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 1:18 am by Christina O Phillips.

dhomespot

This book looks to be professionally edited and within the first 10 pages had brought tears to my eyes. I may have decided to purchase the book based on the review that was written, however, it was the sample that made up my mind to purchase the book. The way the author detailed the everyday life of someone struggling with dementia was refreshing.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 1:25 am by dhomespot.

bookowlie

The cover is attractive, but it's a little old-fashioned and made me think the story would be that way, too. Although the summary blurb is technically well-written, the plot seems too busy. I did enjoy the sample pages and liked the author's writing style. Still, I wasn't too interested in the explanation of the plot in the Amazon blurb, so I am probably not going to purchase this book.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 11:30 am by bookowlie.

chocomeiske

The premise of this book is interesting but if not for this program, I wouldn't have come across it. The sample was interesting. I can't recall any glaring editing issues in the first 10 pages.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 5:16 pm by chocomeiske.

Pilar Guerrero

This is a lovely story. The details about daily activities feel real and familiar to me. The story is well told, the main character is quirky and funny, it is easy to visualize what he does and the way he goes around in his daily life. I consider this a realistic and entertaining story that can be enjoyed by many. Due to a busy life and other books that I'm reading at the moment, I would not buy this book, but I will put it on my books to be read soon.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 10:39 pm by Pilar Guerrero.

Gravy

It looked to me like it could use some more commas, but otherwise seemed fine. I would not have looked at this, and the sample didn't interest me enough to make me want to read it. Mainly, it's just not my type of book, and I'm not a fan of third person POV.
The cover works, and the author's style is very readable, but I do not plan to continue with this book.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 11:13 pm by Gravy.

L_Therese

When I read the plot description for this book, it was unclear to me whether the main character in this book was Robert or his father. I also didn't know which issue would be the focus of the plot. As I began the first ten pages, I wasn't too enthusiastic because of this lack of clarity. Those first pages seemed technically well-written, but the writing was pretty simple in structure in a way that didn't really appeal to me. There was nothing objectionable, but I decided that this book didn't seem like a particularly good fit for me.

First Ten review added on April 16, 2017, at 12:20 am by L_Therese.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because it seems like it's about something emotional, and not really my taste of a book. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages did not catch my attention because there wasn't much dialogue, but a lot of backstory and what's going on. I like books that have more action and off to a quick start when I start reading. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on April 16, 2017, at 3:10 am by jungkookblog.

klbradley

By looking at the cover, i was completely thrown off by this one. I had no idea it would be a political thriller. Im not really a fan of the cover because of that. The sample started well with describing McGillicuddy and his relationship with his son, but it just wasnt enough to pull me in and make me want to read the rest. I also found some of the d
descriptors to be a bit excessive.

First Ten review added on April 16, 2017, at 4:56 am by klbradley.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I probably would not have chosen to read/sample this book based on the genre and the blurb. It did not sound like the kind of thriller I would enjoy.

I'm not going to buy and read the whole book at this time because the price is above my eBook spending limit. However, I did find the first ten pages interesting and might consider purchasing if the price is ever lower.

The book seems professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I enjoyed reading the first ten pages. I found the writing very descriptive...I could picture the vivid scenery of the Blue Mountains. I also found Gil's moments alone very realistic. It was the perfect depiction of a person with dementia.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on April 16, 2017, at 5:57 am by truebookaddict.

Cjgarland89

Based on the cover and the genre I wouldn't have sampled this book. It seems like an emotional roller coaster that isn't something I want to be reading right now. The sample was okay, and nothing too exciting to change my mind. I didn't see any errors.

First Ten review added on April 16, 2017, at 9:58 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 26%

This book earned a score of 26%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 26% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy in their shelves?

More than 28 members have We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

blakejack1123

Want To Read Shelf

MarisaRose

4-Star Shelf

Pilar Guerrero

Want To Read Shelf

Akolaski

Want To Read Shelf

mohammedaslam

Want To Read Shelf

OlgaNM

Want To Read Shelf