Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.2 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on February 26, 2017, at 11:30 am by KasieMiehlke.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781480832343

Lemoncella Cocktail

by Rene Natan

The First Ten

Because Lemoncella Cocktail was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I don't think I would have sampled the book on my own, as the blurb isn't that appealing. The cover is nice, but wouldn't have caused me to pick up the book. The sample started with a bang, the saving of the girl from drowning, but the pace slowed down after that. There is too much talk and not enough action. The beginning certainly made me curious to find out more, and the sample was more interesting than the blurb indicated. I didn't see any official review, more the pity. Still, I may have given the book a try if I didn't have so many books waiting for me. I won't buy the book right now as my reading list is full.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 10:14 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

James Craft

I like the swimming cover and it almost seems like a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing. It uses space well in a small size, which is really good and makes it easy to read. The theme of the book is difficult to pinpoint from the title and cover, though, and at face value it isn't something I think i would enjoy reading. That being said, the opening pages were enticing and made the world seem inviting. All in all, I won't be continuing because I simply have too many other things going on, but it seems like a worthwhile book.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 11:18 am by James Craft.

Vermont Reviews

Here are a couple of corrections for today's book of the day. Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan. Correct. "Poor Patrick? I think you can take (care) of yourself."

Correct Samantha and Patrick Carter were made (to) sit close to each other.

I decided not to download the book based on the preview.

Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 11:49 am by Vermont Reviews.

ashley_claire

I really like the cover of this book. The colors of the cover catch my attention immediately. The Amazon summary doesn't give much of the book away so I went in pretty blind as to what the book was about. The first ten pages begin with a bang (or splash) when Patrick rescues a girl who was pushed into the river. I didn't find any mistakes in the writing. Despite the exciting opening to the story, none of the characters really appealed to me. If anything I kept questioning why people were acting the way they were. Why would they offer a stranger somewhere to spend the night instead of just giving him a ride home? Why would they let Samantha go to bed instead of telling everyone where she had been? I won't be continuing with this book because the actions of the characters already don't make sense to me.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 12:17 pm by ashley_claire.

bookowlie

The cover artwork is attractive, although the font using for the title and author is very plain. The summary blurb has a disjointed feel, due in part to the formatting of too many line breaks between paragraph. The beginning pages are well written and the writing has a nice, natural flow. That being said, the subject matter of the book doesn't interest me, so I am going to pass on this one.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 12:24 pm by bookowlie.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I like the cover art of this novel and the title is nice and different. The story itself does not strike me as unique enough. After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this book is professionally edited and well-written. The main character is likeable. Unfortunately, the plot is not interesting enough to make me want to commit to reading the rest.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 3:17 pm by Sarah_Khan.

CataclysmicKnight

The plot of this one seems interesting so far, with a main character who was just having an awful day and definitely didn't want to be drawn into all of this. However, so far I'm not really hooked by the plot. The writing is fine and I haven't noticed any errors yet, I just haven't gotten attached yet either.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 3:27 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Kdonegan91

At first glance, I was slightly intrigued by the book. After reading the sample, I was disappointed. The dialogue in the sample seemed forced. Also, the sample seemed cliche and not realistic. For an example, Patrick playing ball with Justin right after meeting him. Also, Patrick sleeping naked in a strangers home instead of putting on the pjs she provided. I will not be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 3:36 pm by Kdonegan91.

CrescentMoon

I actually really like the cover of this book. After reading the blurb, I think it is perfect and fitting for the story since Patrick saves Samantha from drowning. I think I would like to finish this book after reading the first ten pages. The action starts immediately with Patrick walking and hearing Samantha's cries for help. So far, I am intrigued as to what the mystery is. I would like to read the rest.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 3:42 pm by CrescentMoon.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

jamesabr

This book was very well paced throughout the first ten pages. If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would have sampled it due to the summary of it that I received through OnlineBookClub's Facebook page. The fact that there was no OnlineBookClub review did not deter me from reading it. My favorite part occurred when Patrick saved the drowning girl. It showed a positive trait of his that I look forward to exploring after purchasing and reading the book. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 5:55 pm by jamesabr.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I liked how the author introduced the characters. However, I didn't like the pace of the plot in the sample. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. While I'm sure those who like the genre would enjoy reading the book, I will not be purchasing this book today.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 6:00 pm by AA1495.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. The title of the book is interesting and I love the cover and blurb. Its rating is also high on Amazon. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. It was extremely interesting right off the bat, and the sample ended on a note that peaked my curiosity. It was professionally edited. I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 7:13 pm by psychopathycathy.

mratdegraff91

The cover does not make me think of a suspense or adventure novel. The summary offered for the book did peak my interest. There is not an OnlineBookClub review, but the book has two 5-star ratings on Amazon. Upon sampling the book, I have decided that I really like Patrick's authoritative character and how quickly he begins to figure out what is happening with quiet Samantha. I am interested to see where this story takes them and what trials Patrick goes through with the major changes. If I had not sampled the first ten pages, I probably would not have been as interested in purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on March 16, 2017, at 9:32 pm by mratdegraff91.

Bfrisco

I don't think I would have looked into this book if it wasn't a book of the day. I had no idea what genre it was from the title or the cover, both of which seem very generic. The description gave me a better idea of what the book was about, but I wish there had been an official onlinebookclub review. The book appeared professionally edited. I don't think I would continue reading this book, but I'll admit that it did catch my interest. The main character didn't click with me, however, and I was a bit confused by the way everything was handled. Admittedly, I'm not intimately familiar with how police typically handle issues like this, but I'm surprised they were willing to wait until the next day to ask questions (especially given how a witness' testimony becomes more and more unreliable the longer you wait) and I was confused by the fact that the police spent much more time questioning the girl's brother instead of the girl herself. I do think the author did a great job with the descriptions and the story-building from what I've seen so far.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 3:32 am by Bfrisco.

ananya92

The plot is set in Canada. The central character Patrick Carter, is just making enough money to get by, and feels under-confident due to his incomplete education and sad past. Patrick wants to keep out of trouble, but unfortunately for him, this becomes impossible when he jumps into the river to save Samantha, a fourteen-year old, who is thrown into the river because of something she might have witnessed. Now Patrick's life is entangled with the attempt on her life and he might have to unwillingly be part of the investigation. The description of the novel was pretty intriguing. From the sample, it is evident that the book has been professionally edited. The author utilizes uncomplicated language to engage the reader. However, despite the fast paced narrative, the story did not strike a chord with me. Though fast moving plot lines are the life of a book in the thriller section, the sample just seemed very dull, and I couldn't connect with the protagonist at all. Perhaps an official review would have helped but as it is, I think I'll skip this one.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 3:45 am by ananya92.

chocomeiske

I'm not a fan of this cover but once I read the description, it does seem fitting. I read the sample and it read quite stilted; the dialogue didn't 'sound' realistic and didn't flow well. This is enough to put me off from reading more of this book. I can't recall any glaring grammatical issues but maybe something more could have been done to make the dialogue flow better.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 6:03 am by chocomeiske.

L_Therese

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. The cover is pretty, but between it and the title, it doesn't help me form an idea about what will be happening inside the book. It would have been helpful to have a review to clarify matters a little beyond what I can learn in a blurb. As I read the first ten pages, I was disappointed to find that the characters seemed very unnatural. Sam was all business after she got fished out of the water. Patrick was willing to just stay the night at a stranger's home. Justin bonded with him instantly. Gary dropped his suspicions very suddenly. (And this is the first ten pages, I promise I'm not ruining the book.) They're making all the right moves to keep the story moving, but it's all just action without deliberation, emotion, or even much process. I won't be finishing the book.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 8:21 am by L_Therese.

Shelle

I was intrigued by the cover and blurb and happy to sample this book. The opening scene grabbed my attention and kept me interested for a few pages. The writing style lacked flow. I'm not sure if I like the characters yet or not. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 2:03 pm by Shelle.

Scerakor

When I first saw the cover of "Lemoncella Cocktail" and read the description, I was not overly drawn to the book. My first impression from the cover gave me an impression of something swimming related and the descriptions seemed to lean a bit more towards self-realisation/drams. After the first ten pages however, I was hooked and was itching to find out more about where this book was headed. Not only did it the mysterious nature draw me into the story line, but it had the added bonus (for me) of being Canadian. I will likely not buy the book today, but have definitely added it to my TBR list for future consideration.

The book seemed, from what I read, professionally edited and of excellent quality. I loved how the book started off with a rather (relatively) mundane rescue, but how by the end of the ten pages had multiple government departments involved as well as a cover up of the investigation. I did not see an official review of this book, but that did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 2:16 pm by Scerakor.

Momlovesbooks

The cover didn't clue me in to the topic of this book. I had to read the reviews to find out what it was really about. The story seems interesting with strong characters. I read the sample, and while it appears to be a well-written novel, I have too many other books I'm waiting to read. I won't be purchasing this one.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 3:17 pm by Momlovesbooks.

hsimone

I love the colors on the cover, though the title confuses me; at first, I thought perhaps the author meant 'limoncello', which is a popular after dinner drink, but I'm not really sure. The blurb, in general sounds interesting, but I do find the transition from one paragraph to the next could have been better. Though the reviews, so far, are positive, there is still just a couple. This doesn't include an OBC one, which would be nice to have. Overall, I would not have sampled this read without this program.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I can already tell that I like Patrick; he seems have gone through much in his life and was ready to help out Samantha, like a good Samaritan. It does seem a bit odd that Samantha's grandma was so welcoming to a complete stranger and felt comfortable in leaving him alone in their house. This makes me think that maybe there'll be some questionable scenes throughout the read. However, I really like the author's easy-to-follow writing style, and I actually have this book, so I do plan on giving this a full read.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 3:30 pm by hsimone.

MarisaRose

When I first saw "Lemoncella Cocktail" as BOTD I was intruigued by the premise and the cover art. I love a good mystery and this one seemed like a thrill ride. After sampling the first ten pages, I could not get past the poor editing. I noticed a missing word on the very first page. It was hard to focus on the writing and overall storyline. Although I think this book has some potential, it needs another round of editing. I will not be continuing on with this book.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 6:07 pm by MarisaRose.

Gravy

My reading taste runs in other directions, so this isn't something I'd look into. I can't say that I believe it's been professionally edited. There was an instance of word confusion, 'finished' when it should have been finish. There was even an error in the blurb, 'marked to death' instead of marked 'for' death, or marked to 'die'. Also, the characters didn't feel very real to me, and conclusions seemed to be jumped to without any real reasoning behind them. The story is interesting, but not enough for me to overlook the errors. I won't be continuing.

First Ten review added on March 17, 2017, at 7:09 pm by Gravy.

Cjgarland89

I didn't really understand how the cover and title connected with the book at first but after sampling I kind of understand the cover. However the book content and wacky formatting was a bit confusing. Before sampling I thought I would try the book out based on the description, but afterwards I am no longer interested in reading the book.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 12:52 am by Cjgarland89.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book without this program based on the genre and blurb. I like books in this genre, and the blurb had me interested. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I wasn't as into it as I thought I would be. He saves the girl right away, and that was the part that I thought would pull me in. Unfortunately, it didn't. The fact that there was not an OBC review did affect my decision. If the review made it out to be a good book even though I didn't get pulled in right away, I might have still given it a chance. However, I don't usually buy books that don't have a review. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 1:11 am by anneloretrujillo.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover draws a reader in - the imagery is placed in good balance with the text, and it's very easy to read. The blurb left me somewhat on the fence; I'm not a fan of the romance genre, and the blurb really sounded like one to me.

That said, I enjoyed the excerpt. Although the narrative is relating incidents, we learn a lot about the characters by their reactions. I was surprised that the girl the main character was rescuing was just a kid, and I really enjoyed his interactions with her family when he took her home. I also liked how the author would give us glimpses into a character's personality, thinking and background - it made you curious to learn more.

I came across no typographical or editorial errors in the excerpt I read.

I will not be reading this book at this time. It's not my normal fare.

First Ten review added on March 18, 2017, at 7:08 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

Total ~ 19%

This book earned a score of 19%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 19% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Lemoncella Cocktail in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Lemoncella Cocktail in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

MLRS

Want To Read Shelf

csuigar

Want To Read Shelf

Cjgarland89

Want To Read Shelf

Maryannwrites-15

Want To Read Shelf

kstillerman1

Want To Read Shelf