Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.2 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on January 10, 2017, at 2:44 pm by Scott.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Another Self: (Our Eternal Curse)

by Simon Rumney

The First Ten

Because Another Self was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book without the program, as it isn't a book that I normally gravitate to. The cover is nice and the blurb concise. I found the beginning a bit confusing I have to say. The sampled opened with Julia being abused, then moved on to her childhood. After a rereading, I understood that Julia was reincarnated as a punishment for past deeds, an interesting concept for sure. It didn't interest me enough to want to finish the book though. In addition, there was an overwhelming amount of commas and some run-on sentences. I won't buy the book as I didn't connect to the style of writing, nor was I hooked by the tale. The official review didn't affect my decision either way.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 10:02 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

James Craft

The opening pages of this book are well-written but the formatting is a little bit off with double spacing between paragraphs. The cover and blurb are well put together, but it didn't really seem like the kind of book I would want to read, and after reading the opening pages I have to say this is one I probably won't be finishing. That being said, it does look like a high quality work.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 10:25 am by James Craft.

jamesabr

If I had not sampled this book through this program, I would have sampled it due to the informative Facebook summary and positive review it received on OnlineBookClub. From what I have read of the ten pages, the way that the author describes Julia’s abuse in Another Self drags for too long. After three paragraphs, I lost interest, because nothing stood out to me other than the implied abuse that she was receiving towards the end of the chapter. The best part, to me was the memory of soldiers bringing paraphernalia from war back to the city. I will not purchase and read this book, because the story and Roman history doesn’t interest me as much as I thought it would. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 10:51 am by jamesabr.

bookowlie

The Amazon summary is well-written and gives a good flavor of the plot. Unfortunately, the subject matter is not something I am interested in. Also, I found it odd and confusing that the book is categorized on Amazon as both fiction and non-fiction! The cover picture is attractive although it didn't give me any idea of what type of book this was. In addition, the light color of the title almost disappears into the background. The beginning pages appear to be professionally edited. However, I didn't care for the long-winded writing style and found it hard to get into the story. Taking everything into account, I am not interesting in reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 11:01 am by bookowlie.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I think I would pick this story up because I like revenge themed stories. I'm a huge fan of the Count of Monte Cristo and this seems like a similar read. However, I don't think I can read the rest of the story. I understand this story involves rape and it's really hard for me to read things like that. I think this would definitely be a good book for people who like this genre though.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 11:12 am by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

The title of the book is intriguing and the blurb is adequately written. After reading the first ten pages, I was pleasantly surprised. This novel is well-written and it seems professionally edited. The plot is interesting from the start, and I did not want to stop reading. I could see myself reading this book sometime in the future but because it is part of a series, I do not have the time to commit to it so I will not be buying it today.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 12:18 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

I enjoyed the preview of Another Self by Simon Rumney very much. The main character Julia has a story that I want to finish after reading the preview. Well written and a great plot. I have added it to my 2017 reading list. After reading the reviews.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 2:36 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

mratdegraff91

This book sounds absorbing. The cover features a lovely woman, and upon reading the summary and blurbs, I have discovered that it is the tale of a young girl named Julie. The OnlineBookClub review was very helpful in swaying me on this book. After sampling the book, however, I believe this one is worth reading. The story draws the reader in and is easy to follow along.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 3:31 pm by mratdegraff91.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book based on the genre, the blurb, and the OBC review. I am not a big fan of historical fiction. The concept behind the story also didn't seem like my type of book. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. Unfortunately, the time period of the book kind of loses my interest. I also got a little confused on the format. In the sample, the headings were the same style as the rest of the words, so I didn't realize that they were supposed to be headings at first. However, I really liked the language that the author uses. I thought the description was great. As for editing, I noticed a few errors in the sample. For example, the word "here" was used instead of the word "her."

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 4:48 pm by anneloretrujillo.

cjohns105

As a reader, I felt as though I was grasping at straws throughout the first ten pages. As a writer I could see how what was trying to be developed, but to that end I don't think the section titled Another self did that adequately. The editing seems error free enough to be professional. I didn't notice an Official Online Book Club review, but personally what I read in the blurb on Amazon was enough to interest me. If I had stumbled upon this on my own I likely would have down loaded the sample. Getting into the text itself was not nearly as intriguing, and there was not nearly enough to grasp on to in that ten pages to get me to come back and read the rest. I do not plan on reading any more. I can appreciate the depth of the thought process that we get to see, but I there is nothing that I can start to feel invested in.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 8:02 pm by cjohns105.

dhwanis

Had I not read the 20 pages, I would be interested in buying the book because the cover is quite interesting. Now that I have read the book, I would still buy the book as the premise, the narration and the way that the story is going is very interesting.

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 10:45 pm by dhwanis.

CataclysmicKnight

From the cover of this one I never would've checked it out - the cover screams "romance novel" to me and I'm rarely a fan of romance novels. The Amazon description was very interesting, however, and the book has been living up to it so far. The first section was so mysterious, and then the next was rife with history. I'll definitely be reading the rest of this one!

First Ten review added on January 22, 2017, at 11:20 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Kdonegan91

The sample was well-written and I enjoyed the author's use of detail. Also, the cover is eye-catching and the title is intriguing. However, the sample just did not hold my attention. In addition, I do not enjoy books centered around war or conspiracy. I will not be buying this book.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 12:02 am by Kdonegan91.

Rachaelamb1

The cover does not look like a historical fiction to me. It seems very modern. The OBC official review has a lot of positive things to say about this book, but it is not normally the type of book I would read. The sample is intriguing and I was interested to find out what is happening to Julia from the opening scene. However, I lost interest when it switched to her past. I do not think this is the story for me and I will not be buying today. I did notice a typo where here is used instead of her, so I don't think this book has been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 12:12 am by Rachaelamb1.

L_Therese

I never would have thought that this cover belonged to a book that is historical fiction. As I started reading the sample, it took a few pages for the book to set itself in context. The OBC review was vital for me to develop any kind of understanding of how the book's plot would form. I can tell there's a lot of emotion and passion in the writing, but when it all comes down to it, this isn't the kind of book I'm looking to add to my list right now. It looks like it'll be great for a lot of people, but it's not right for me.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 3:30 am by L_Therese.

Gravy

I would never assume, just seeing the cover, that this belonged to the historical genre. I can't decide if that's a good thing, or a bad thing.
While I find the premise somewhat interesting, historical isn't my genre. I didn't notice any errors, and appreciated the clarity of the blurb.
If I read more historical, I would likely add this to my list, but, because it isn't my genre, I won't be continuing.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 5:55 am by Gravy.

klbradley

From what I can gather at this point, the main character, Julia, seems brave and strong. The reviews for this book so far have given praise nicely, and I can see why. The editing seems to be done well, with no errors that caught my attention within the first ten pages. I'm not sure how I feel about the cover, maybe just a little plain for me. At this point, I have gotten too many books on my to-read list, so I am going to pass on this one for now.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 10:41 am by klbradley.

chocomeiske

I love the simplicity of this cover. Having read the sample, I can say I liked the time-travelling element best but this is not something I would be interesting in reading the rest of. I can't recall any glaring editing issues.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 1:44 pm by chocomeiske.

hsimone

The cover is a bit too white, but the title is intriguing. I like how concise the blurb is, and I also like a good historical fiction read. Though the review from OBC is very positive, the customer reviews are a little spread out. Overall, without this program I would not have sampled this book.

Based on what I read, the book could use a another round of editing. For instance, toward the beginning, there is a question mark placed when a question wasn't being asked. Also, the phrase 'a nine-years-old peasant girl' should be 'a nine-year-old peasant girl'. As the memories of the young girl is explained, I like how the author uses enough description to give the reader a feel of what's going on. However, I did feel the very beginning is focused on Julia's almost incoherent thoughts, and had to re-read to realize what was going on. Overall, the book did not grab me enough to make me want to purchase and read it through.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 6:03 pm by hsimone.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I liked how the author described the character's thoughts, but I didn't like the pace of the plot in the sample. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I'm sure fans of the genre would enjoy reading the book, I do not think I'll read it further.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 6:20 pm by AA1495.

Momlovesbooks

This was an interesting concept for a book. However, after reading the description, I thought it might be too graphic for me. I read a few pages, but couldn't get into it. I couldn't connect to the characters or the plot. I won't be reading it.

First Ten review added on January 23, 2017, at 7:12 pm by Momlovesbooks.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the sample. The cover is gorgeous, but the blurb didn't really pull me in. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I think the number one emotion I felt after finishing it was confusion - I had no idea what was going on in the story. I think this may have been due to the writing style. There were no errors as far as I saw, but I wish the chapters were separated more obviously format-wise. I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on January 24, 2017, at 12:10 am by psychopathycathy.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would be reading this book because it seems like it's not my type of book. The genre doesn't seem like it would interesting. I am not going to be reading this book because the plot is confusing to me. It does seem professionally edited. I liked the detail and how the author explained the sound and description of the protagonist's feelings. I did not see a review, and it wouldn't affect my decision.

First Ten review added on January 24, 2017, at 1:00 am by jungkookblog.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I was interested in this story based on the cover and the OBC review. However after sampling the first ten this isn't a book that I can get into. It is just very long and drawn out in the first few pages. The abuse is off putting for me to read about for personal reasons. I never can get into books like that. I can appreciate the author's talent, but I won't be finishing this book. I didn't see any errors, but was confused with the formatting a bit.

First Ten review added on January 24, 2017, at 6:43 am by Cjgarland89.

MarisaRose

"Another Self" is not a book I would typically chose to read. After sampling the beginning as part of this program, I was pleasantly surprised. From the start, it is clear the book is well written. The author does a great job adding emotion into his words and vividly describing things. I was very impressed with the writing. Further, I thought the opening was interesting. Julia seems like an intriguing character; I wanted to know more about what was going on with her. Though I was interested in the beginning and found the writing exciting, I will not be purchasing this book. I can see why this book would appeal to a lot of people, but due to time constraints, this book didn't excite me enough to move it to the top of my "to read" list.

First Ten review added on January 24, 2017, at 8:10 am by MarisaRose.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled this book as part of this program, I would have chosen to read/sample this book because of the genre. I love historical fiction and when I heard that it had reincarnation elements, I was sold. I love books which involve reincarnation.

I purchased the book and will read the whole book eventually. The book pulled me in strongly right from the start.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

I loved the descriptive quality of Julia's experience watching the Roman legion march by. It was so well-written. I felt like I was experiencing it right along with her. If these pages are any indication of how this book is going to be, I know I'm going to love it.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on January 24, 2017, at 8:37 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 19%

This book earned a score of 19%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 19% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Another Self in their shelves?

26 members have Another Self in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

madhu_bookworm

Want To Read Shelf

mtnhicks

4-Star Shelf

1_2_5_am

Want To Read Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf

Maryannwrites-15

Want To Read Shelf