Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.2 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on December 17, 2016, at 11:49 am by MarisaRose.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781483578620

The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)

by David J Castello

The First Ten

Because The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

The premise sure sounds unique. The blurb caught my eye and the official review further hooked me. The cover isn't very appealing though. The book started really well, with the liberation of the Dachau concentration camp, and it kept my interest right away. I find it interesting that real historical events are weaved into the tale. As this is the February book of the month, and the tale intrigues me, I will read the balance of the book.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 11:15 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

bookowlie

The title of this book made me think it was going to be a memoir, instead of historical fantasy. The cover picture is interesting, but the color used for the author's name and first words of the title almost disappears into the background. The summary blurb is well written, but I don't usually like reading fantasy books. The sample pages appear to be professionally written, but I found the pacing slow. Also, I didn't like that there was graphic violence right on the first page. This book doesn't seem to be my cup of tea, but it might be be interesting to someone who likes fantasy and WWII themes.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 11:40 am by bookowlie.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Vermont Reviews

The Diary Of An Immortal by David J. Castello today's book of the day. Shows the readers the character of Steven Ronson who discovers pills that offer the immortality by taking one pill a day. The pills were discovered while rescuing the survivors of the concentration camp at Dachau Germany. I enjoyed the preview and would have purchased the book based on that. Although at this time I am overbooked and will not be downloading the book. I also liked the cover of the book. I thought the author did a great job with the descriptions of bringing the reader back in time to the war as it was. Well written.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 1:06 pm by Vermont Reviews.

jamesabr

If I didn't sample the book through this program, I would have read it based off of the review I read on OnlineBookClub. The review mentioned that the book took an interesting look into the quest for immortality. So it seems worth buying and reading in the future. I liked the description of boys fighting for the Nazi army in the very beginning of the chapter. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 1:31 pm by jamesabr.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art did not appeal to me but I found the title interesting and I liked how it was very easy to read. The blurb did a great job of making me interested to start reading.
After reading the first few pages, I was pleasantly surprised. This book is very well-written and professionally edited. The author was able to make me like the main character and feel empathetic towards him in just the first 10 pages. I did not want to stop reading!
To conclude. I will definitely be reading the rest of this book!

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 2:44 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Gravy

The writing is very readable, and the premise catches my interest. The narration style, though not something I typically enjoy, kept me engaged.
I might have looked at this book, given the title. I see how the cover fits. The blurb on Amazon is very clear, and well written.
There were some errors, such as a place where it looked like a word had been changed, but the old word had been left. Sadly, this is more distracting than other errors.

This falls into the 'intriguing but not in the mood for it' category for me, so I have to answer no, though I may come back to it sometime.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 5:50 pm by Gravy.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book based solely on the time period it covers. This time period is one of my favorites. The genre, however, is not one that I am usually interested in. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. I think the author was great in the use of description. However, the sentences were long for my taste, especially since minimal punctuation was used. There was also one place where it seemed like an extra word had been added. All of these might have been stylistic choices, but I wasn't a big fan of the way it was written. This just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 6:55 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Momlovesbooks

After reading the OBC review, I have mixed feelings about whether I want to read this book or not. It received a 4 star review, but there were a few areas I might have issues with. I read a few pages of the book and still am not sure. It seems interesting, but I'm still torn. I know I won't be buying it now, but I could change my mind when it becomes book of the month.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 9:17 pm by Momlovesbooks.

CrescentMoon

I like the title. It gives the book a good mysterious vibe. I don't think I would pick it up after reading the blurb because the genre is not something I am interested in. After reading the first ten pages I will not continue reading. I do think the premise of the book is very original and unique but it is not for me

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 9:45 pm by CrescentMoon.

Kdonegan91

Although I was intrigued by the sample, the OBC review changed my initial perspective about this book. The sample was professionally written and flowed nicely. However, I am not a fan of the fantasy genre and some of the information written in the OBC review really pushed me away from this book. Such as the focus on the differences in American culture and Buddhism culture. I am simply not interested in this book.

First Ten review added on January 3, 2017, at 11:58 pm by Kdonegan91.

L_Therese

When I first saw this book, the cover was not particularly inviting. It looked a little dull, and I'm still not sure what it is that I'm looking at. The premise of the book sounded interesting, but I wasn't enthused about the direction it headed (interstellar origins of Jesus Christ?). I had a hard time connecting that in my head to the immortality formula plotline. The review was a helpful resource in determining whether this is likely to be a book I will enjoy. In the end, I decided against purchasing the book. I was still in two minds after reading the first ten pages and the OBC review, and I only want to buy the book if I'm absolutely sure that I want to finish it.

First Ten review added on January 4, 2017, at 2:57 am by L_Therese.

hsimone

The fact this book involves World War II in some aspect would have piqued my interest and therefore would have led me to sample this book. I also like the intriguing title, interesting blurb, and the positive feedback this book has; the most important review that really swayed me is the reliable OBC reviewer's review. Based on the bit that I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. As mentioned earlier, I really like the tie-in to WWII; there is something about this time in history that fascinates me. At this point in the read, I am so immersed that even if this wasn't OBC February Book of the Month, I would want to finish reading it anyway. Therefore, I will be purchasing and finishing this read.

First Ten review added on January 4, 2017, at 4:52 pm by hsimone.

mratdegraff91

The Diary of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David Castello has an attractive cover that makes you wonder just where the characters are from and what is going on. The title itself is catching. After reading the OnlineBookClub review and sampling the first couple of pages, I would purchase the book. The historical relation to WWII to me is fascinating even if it is a fictional link to it. The first couple of pages are gory, but the author quickly draws you in with all the action. There weren’t any typos in the first ten plus pages, which leads me to believe that it is professionally edited. Steven Ronson, the main character in this book, is a medic and appears to have a great personality even though he is in the middle of a war with people always dying.

First Ten review added on January 4, 2017, at 5:42 pm by mratdegraff91.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book; historical fiction is one I typically do not read. After reading the sample, I have changed my mind. I thought that the story was extremely interesting, and the pacing was good - the story seemed to speed up right away and I got really into it. It was professionally edited and I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on January 4, 2017, at 8:43 pm by psychopathycathy.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance & humor books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I thought that the author described the characters' thoughts well. However, I thought that there were many descriptions in the sample. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I'm sure fans of the genre would enjoy the book, I will not be reading it further.

First Ten review added on January 5, 2017, at 12:23 am by AA1495.

CataclysmicKnight

The Amazon description of this one had me incredibly fascinated with how much was going on, and the perfect rating had me excited to see how the book would go. The depictions of war in the beginning are grizzly and realistic, so I can just imagine how well written the rest will be. Especially with this one being February's book of the month, I can definitely see finishing this one sometime.

First Ten review added on January 5, 2017, at 12:38 am by CataclysmicKnight.

klbradley

Everything about this book just screams that it sounds like a prefect read for me! As a combination of historical fantasy, I was interested immediately. Based on the first ten pages, it feels like a slow start, but I'm still looking forward to this one!

First Ten review added on January 5, 2017, at 5:54 am by klbradley.

Cjgarland89

Based on the OBC review of this book I would have likely read it without the program. The idea of immortality and traveling through actual historical events always appeals to me as a reader. I did enjoy the first ten pages, and almost couldn't stop reading. This is definitely a book I would like to purchase and finish reading to finish the journey. There weren't any errors in spelling or grammar.

First Ten review added on January 5, 2017, at 6:38 am by Cjgarland89.

truebookaddict

I've been reading a lot about this book lately so I would have chosen to read/sample it had it not been part of this program, not only because of the word of mouth, but because it's a genre I like to read and the premise sounded amazing.

Yes, I will buy and read the whole book. I mean, wow! I was blown away just by the first ten pages (I actually read more, I couldn't stop).

The book is definitely professionally edited. I did not find one typo or grammatical error.

This book perfectly captures the horror of the Holocaust. In just the short amount of pages I read, I did not want to stop reading. Terrific prose describing a horrible period in our history and I felt like I was there. I'm completely blown away just by the sample!

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on January 5, 2017, at 6:42 am by truebookaddict.

James Craft

This is one I actually already read and enjoyed. It was an incredibly interesting story and I loved the cover and concept of it. It really made an impression on me and I thought it was an excellent read overall.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2017, at 10:29 am by James Craft.

Shelle

This looked like an interesting book and I was glad to have the opportunity to sample it. From the first paragraph, this book is tough to read. It's written well and moves along fine, the subject matter is just stomach-turning. Perhaps it's just my own state of mind, but I can't take any more violence right now. The book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2017, at 6:09 pm by Shelle.

Rachaelamb1

I think the cover looks alright. I enjoy historical fiction, but haven't ever read one with fantasy in it. I enjoyed the sample, but I'm not sure if this is the book for me. It's a little graphic for my taste. The official review had a lot of good things to say about it, though.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2017, at 7:44 am by Rachaelamb1.

jungkookblog

I don't think I would be reading this because I don't really enjoy military related books. They are confusing and just not interesting to me. I will not be reading this book because the first ten pages made me confused. I liked the details though, like how it started off smoothly. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2017, at 2:54 am by jungkookblog.

Total ~ 43%

This book earned a score of 43%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 43% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Susan5669

Want To Read Shelf

sprakasarao

Want To Read Shelf

ccrowdis

Want To Read Shelf

Norbert Penner

Want To Read Shelf

Shreda76

Want To Read Shelf

Angelic_Sin18

Want To Read Shelf