OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on December 11, 2016, at 6:00 pm by AA1495.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781514180228

Impressions

by Dan Groat

The First Ten

Because Impressions was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book without the program as I am not too fond of short stories. The cover is beautiful, and the blurb provides enough detail to entice the reader. I am impressed that the author has packed 55 short stories into 183 pages. The first couple of stories were nice enough, though one of the stories left me mystified. I won't buy the book today, despite the positive official review, as it didn't really hook me. I also didn't connect to the writing.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 10:29 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

I liked the serene-looking cover of this book. However, I can't say I enjoyed the summary blurb as much. There is such an overabundance of examples in each paragraph that I became a little bored. It made me think that the writing in the book would also be long-winded. The beginning pages are technically well-written, but I was unable to become engrossed in the story. Also, the back-and-forth conversations without a name attached go on too long as a result, I became confused by which character was speaking. Although the OBC review is very positive, I am not too interested in reading the book based on the Amazon blurb and sample pages.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 12:13 pm by bookowlie.

Vermont Reviews

Dan Groat's collection of short stories entitled Impressions had me hooked from the first story. After reading the first 10, I knew that I wanted to purchase the book to read the balance of 45 more. Well written and an excellent choice for today's book of the day. Looking forward to reading more of Dan's work. My favorite was Impressions.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 12:54 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Kdonegan91

The cover makes me want to cuddle up and read these short stories while sipping hot chocolate. I enjoyed reading the beginning of this book. I did not notice any grammatical, spelling, or formatting errors. The author is extremely talented. He gives little to no character detail or history but the reader still connects with the characters in a profound way. I will be buying this book. I can't wait to read more!

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 1:13 pm by Kdonegan91.

jamesabr

If I didn't sample this book as part of this program, I would have downloaded the eBook due to the OnlineBookClub review. From what the reviewer mentioned of it, this book manages to weave inspiring stories through multiple perspectives. From my sampling of it, the first story is quite suspenseful at first, and details the revealed sled maker in the barn smoothly and without too much force behind the tension that is created within the first few pages. This was my favorite part of the sample. I will purchase the book, because I look forward to reading each flash fiction and short story. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 1:47 pm by jamesabr.

CrescentMoon

I don't think this book is for me. I understand this is a collection of very short stories that range from one page to 5 or 6 pages. I like that the book has an inspiring message in each short story but I really like reading longer length novels. I am not the target audience for this.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 2:49 pm by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art of this book seems plain but the title is interesting. I tbought the blurb did not do a good job of letting me know what exactly the short stories would be about.
After reading the first few pages, I can say that this book is professionally edited and well-written. Personally, despite the favorable online book club review, nothing in the first 10 pages kept me interested therefore I do not intend to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 2:55 pm by Sarah_Khan.

Gravy

I never would have looked at this, but I'm glad that it was a BOTD. I got caught up and read the entire sample before I even knew it.
I noticed no errors, and the writing was enjoyable. I couldn't pick a favorite story, I enjoyed every one I read.

As I don't read ebooks I'm forced to answer no, but I will make note of this book for later.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 3:05 pm by Gravy.

hsimone

The cover has a nice feeling to it, and I sometimes enjoy a collection of good short stories. I do feel the blurb could be a bit shorter, but there is some good information for potential readers. It is nice to see that there are several positive reviews, including an OBC one. Therefore, I might have sampled this read on my own. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be edited well. I like the conversation the older man and the teenage boy have in the first story. Both characters seem to have some spunk and personality. However, I am unclear of the point to the story. I read it fully, and I am left confused. Maybe I need to re-read it. After sampling, I do not feel inclined to continue this read; therefore, I will not be purchasing this book today.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 3:17 pm by hsimone.

anneloretrujillo

I might have sampled this book based on the cover, title, genre, blurb, and OBC review. It seemed like a good collection of short stories. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be purchasing this book. The style of the stories isn't for me. The first story had too much dialogue for my taste. I actually really liked the second story, but after that I had a hard time getting into them. I think part of the problem was the time period. They were set in the past, which I'm not usually a big fan of. It did seem to be professionally edited. This just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 3:47 pm by anneloretrujillo.

mratdegraff91

Impressions by Dan Groat appears to be an intriguing novel featuring a cabin surrounded by snow in the woods. In sampling the first few pages, I can see that the first story features something similar to the cover. The cover had me curious at first, but the genre had me suspicious. In the free sample from Amazon I did not notice any formatting or other errors but it is mentioned in the OnlineBookClub review that when downloaded there are several formatting errors. Overall this sounds like a great book worth reading.

First Ten review added on January 10, 2017, at 9:06 pm by mratdegraff91.

jungkookblog

I think I would read this book because I personally love short stories. I am going to read the first book, because I am already fascinated by the plot and detail. It seems very professionally edited. I loved all the detail, and it kept the reader interested throughout 10 pages. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 1:27 am by jungkookblog.

James Craft

I've never been a huge fan of flash fiction, so this is one that didn't really spark my interest right off the bat. That being said, I do like the cover and description of the book, and it has enough ratings on amazon that are positive to make me thing it might be worth at least checking out to see if maybe this is something I could enjoy. However, opening the book I realized that even though the writing is good and the dialogue is fairly well put together, it simply isn't something I would enjoy. There is no real substance to flash fiction in my opinion, and no matter how well put together it isn't for me. The writing is good, though, and it looks clean and well organized, so I'm sure a lot of people will like it.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 8:16 am by James Craft.

klbradley

I'm not a fan of collection of different stories, as I usually feel that they end right when I feel that I am getting in to the story. A fellow reviewer on here, and a trusted one at that, seemed to enjoy the book, giving it a perfect rating. I'm not sure how to base my decision on whether or not I would like to continue from reading the first ten pages only, as each story is different. Because I'm not a fan of short story collections already, I'm going to pass on this one.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 10:45 am by klbradley.

chocomeiske

I'm not a short story fan so if not for the First Ten programme, I would totally skip this one. I read the first 10 pages and I didn't like the story. It does appear to be well-edited though and the stories are really short so probably perfect fot those who like short stories.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 11:57 am by chocomeiske.

L_Therese

When I saw this book, I liked the cover. I probably would not have been sampling it if not for this program because of its genre, but the initial impression was still positive. The reviewer had a lot of great things to say about the high quality of the work in general, but there was a concern about editing, which left me wary as I went to read the sample. The opening story was interesting and well put together, and if I was interested in purchasing a short story collection, I would be seriously considering this book after the first ten pages. However, since I don't usually buy books in this genre, I'll merely enjoy the sample for now.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 12:04 pm by L_Therese.

Shelle

I typically enjoy a good short story collection and was happy to sample this book. The collection isn't really filled with short stories, As far as I can tell, it's made up of short essays and random thoughts. I didn't really make any connection to any character and there is no real discernible plot. The book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 6:42 pm by Shelle.

Momlovesbooks

The book received high ratings, but I'm not a big fan of short stories. I like them to be long enough to develop a story and characters while bringing things to an acceptable conclusion. I read a few pages but don't think I'll read the rest. For those that like short stories, this seems like a good collection. It's just not for me.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 8:21 pm by Momlovesbooks.

MarisaRose

"Impressions" is not a book I would typically choose to read. I don't particularly care for flash fiction or short stories in general. After sampling this book as part of the "First Ten" program, I am pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the first story. I found the writing was rather good and added emotion and tone to the story. Further, the book appears to be well edited. My favorite part about the first story, "Impressions," was that it was thought provoking, despite its length. I look forward to reading more of the stories in this collection. I am going to purchase this book and continue reading.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 9:26 pm by MarisaRose.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the story. I very much enjoy reading flash fiction and seeing how each author paints a scene in the little amount of words they have. After reading this sample, I have not changed my mind; although the genre of the sample story was not one I typically enjoyed, the writing style had a very earthy and realistic tone that kept me engaged. It was professionally edited and I did not read an official review.

First Ten review added on January 11, 2017, at 9:32 pm by psychopathycathy.

CataclysmicKnight

Short story collections can be very hit and miss, so I rarely give them a shot when I come across them. The first story in this one felt just barely too long, so I was amazed when the second one was so short and hit its mark so well. While I enjoyed the second of the short stories quite a bit, I don't see buying the collection to read the rest (even though the third one looks like it'll be very humorous!).

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 3:10 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I was excited to sample this book. Short and gratifying stories are really good for me. After sampling I was happy to see my expectations were met. Although there isn't much character background, the stories were fulfilling and I enjoyed them. They are almost reminiscent of James Patterson bookshots, but all in one book. I didn't see any errors in the sample. The OBC review did contribute to me wanting to read the book, and based on the sample and that review I will be finishing this book. I like the format and the stories are great.

First Ten review added on January 12, 2017, at 6:36 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 36%

This book earned a score of 36%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 36% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Impressions in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Impressions in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

mindyg123

Want To Read Shelf

Shreda76

Want To Read Shelf

C M

Want To Read Shelf

mistrial

Want To Read Shelf

Sharbear38

Want To Read Shelf

Ananya

Want To Read Shelf