Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.3 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on December 4, 2016, at 8:25 pm by Rachaelamb1.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781518634949

Humbug to Happiness: Breaking the Chains of the Past

by David Gibbs

The First Ten

Because Humbug to Happiness was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Vermont Reviews

After reading the preview of today's book of the day. Humbug To Happiness by David A. Gibbs I decided to download the book. Out thoughts are so very important to our present daily life. Looking forward to finishing the book.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 10:15 am by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book on my own as I don't read self-help books. The cover is fetching and the blurb satisfactory. I liked that the first chapter started with questions and ended with exercises. The language is clear and straightforward, but the message didn't really capture me. The official review was very convincing, but the book isn't my cup of tea. It seems like a great self-motivating book, but I am just not the target audience. I am happy with my life, and don't need to free myself from any "humbug thoughts". I won't read the book, as it isn't something that interests me.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 10:35 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

ashley_claire

I actually really like the title of this book. It says what the book is about in a catchy way without being gimmicky. That being said, this isn't a book I would pick out because I don't believe that I'm unhappy. I like that the book is written in a friendly and encouraging way. It is clearly written by someone with experience in helping people change their lives. This sounds like it will be a great book to help people get to the root of their problems and ultimately change their behavior. However, I will not be reading the rest of this book as my initial statement about not being unhappy or needing a change is still true.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 10:43 am by ashley_claire.

jamesabr

This book had a pleasant introduction. The Wizard of Oz quote is a nice start, and the tone was very welcoming to me as a reader. I could imagine that a very friendly person was telling me the words that I was reading. If I were not a part of this program, I would have likely read the book due to the Online Book Club review of it, which was positive. My favorite part of the book was the first Wizard of Oz quote about home. It fit the overall tone of the book very well. I will buy this book and read it eventually. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 10:55 am by jamesabr.

Sarah_Khan

I really like the cover of this book and the title is unique which makes me want to find out more. I thought the blurb was adequately written and gave a good idea of what to except from the book.
After reading the first few pages, I can say that this book is professionally edited and well-written. This novel has an important message and it is easy-to-read. I love the tone of the writing. I am super glad this is free for today and I look forward to reading it.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 12:03 pm by Sarah_Khan.

CrescentMoon

I don't usually like to read self help books. They are not my cup of tea so I would not read this. After reading the first ten pages, I think people who would really benefit from an inspirational kick and need a motivational boost would find this helpful. I am not the target audience for this.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 2:07 pm by CrescentMoon.

James Craft

This one seems interesting and it did get a 4 out of 4 star review on OBC which is a plus in its favor. The cover is neat and has a good color scheme, though the title is a little bit provocative as well. All in all, this one seems like an interesting and short read, but I won't be getting a copy because it isn't my style of book to read normally and I'm simply too busy with other things.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 5:46 pm by James Craft.

CataclysmicKnight

I'm always interested in books that can make me a better person, and the title of this one was certainly intriguing. I love that it focuses on mindset; I definitely believe that having the right mindset and positivity can really change one's life. However, as I'm currently in the middle of a similar book and I don't really have issues with my mindset, I don't know if I'll finish this anytime soon. I DO love the comparison to Groundhog Day though, a Bill Murray comparison always wins in my book!

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 6:53 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the story. I don't often read self-help books, although I really love the cover for this. After the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing was okay but a little mechanical; I also felt that the "Phil" example was a bit lengthy. I did however love the references to literature at the beginning and the figure of the "stairs of change". It was professionally edited. I read the official review but it did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 8:36 pm by psychopathycathy.

bookowlie

The cover is eye-catching and the summary gave me a good flavor of what the book is about. Unfortunately, the content is not something I am interested in reading. Also, while the summary is well-written, it is not formatted well with too many line breaks between paragraphs. The beginning pages have a nice conversational flow with interesting quotes and a nice example of the movie Groundhog Day. Although the book appears to be well written, the content is not something I am interesting in reading at the moment.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 8:49 pm by bookowlie.

Bfrisco

I would not have looked into this book if it had not been a book of the day. Frankly, the cover looks religious, which I tend to avoid, and the title sounds gimmicky. I've read a lot of self-help books, and they all sound very similar to this one. I would not continue reading this book, because it does sound a great deal like a lot of others I have read. I tend to distrust anything that promises massive life change. I may skim it someday, because it did use a psychological concept that I know to be useful in assessing a person's readiness for change. The book did seem professionally edited. I did not like the cliche language, but I did appreciate that the author referenced tools that are backed by research. The review confirmed the initial impression I had of the book.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 10:22 pm by Bfrisco.

Kdonegan91

The cover definitely caught my attention. The title implied that the book was a self-help themed novel. Therefore, I was not interested in it. After reading the first ten pages and the OBC review, my perspective has not changed. It was well-written but I am simply not interested in the topic. I will not be reading the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on February 28, 2017, at 11:22 pm by Kdonegan91.

Gravy

I noticed no errors, and the cover is appropriate and eye-catching. The style is repetitive, which I suppose is common with this type of book, but isn't for me. As I don't really read these types of books, I wouldn't have looked at this. I don't intend to continue with it.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 6:59 am by Gravy.

ananya92

This book is in the nature of a self-help book. The author has to be commended for penning down a book which is inspirational as well as practical. The use of quotes is motivational while the exercises given at the end of each chapter helps the reader to actually try out the author's suggestions. This is an interesting, psychological read which attempts to guide readers to figure out the source of negativity and try to remove that thorn from their lives. The description and official confirmed this impression, which I had from reading the sample. Since this is a relatively short read, I'll actually be able to complete this one at one go; therefore I'll try this one.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 7:20 am by ananya92.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover was a neutral factor for me. I like the idea of breaking shackles, and the dove in flight is a symbol of both peace and freedom. However, the graphics felt a bit too busy, a visual version of a mixed metaphor. The chains underlapping the title and subtitle added to the sense of crowding.

The blurb was quite a bit more helpful because it explained who the author was, his basis for authority on the topic, and gave a glimpse of his approach. I also found most customer/reader reviews helpful as well, in a way that would lead me to read the book.

I noted no editorial or typographical errors in the excerpt of the book I've read thus far.

I really like the author's technique of using cultural literary contexts to illustrate the concepts. It's kind of a brilliant way of taking an idea that might be challenging for a non-professional to grasp and leveraging well-known stories or movies - that have been enjoyed over and over - as a tool to capture the idea. It's not only a good way to communicate, it's also motivational. Sometimes self-help (especially if it's real and effective long term) is *hard.* "Getting it" could help a person to keep going.

Also, in this beginning excerpt, I sometimes felt the writing was a little... lofty... or getting a little (or more than a little) above my head. Knowing the background of the author helped me accept that as normal, and the literary imagery gave me "handholds" to keep on.

I did download the book and plan to finish reading it today.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 7:21 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

L_Therese

The title of this book was very interesting, and together with the cover image, it was attractive to me from the beginning. As I read the first ten pages, I noticed not only the quotes and pop culture references that help people engage, but I also noticed the theory behind the proposals the author suggests. His work seems to be backed by the same theory that any counselor or therapist studies. For this reason, I will try to finish the book because it might help me understand these theories and apply them better.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 8:29 am by L_Therese.

MarisaRose

'Humbug to Happiness' is not a book I would typically choose to read. I'm not much of a fan of self help books. After reading the positive OBC review, I thought this one was at least worth giving a try. After sampling the beginning of the book, I was pleasantly surprised by the tone in which it is written. I enjoyed the friendly tone of the book as it felt like the author was really catering to the reader. I further enjoyed the exercises and visual elements included in the portion I sampled. I can see how this book would appeal to a wide variety of readers. Due to time constraints and a tall stack of books to read, I will not be finishing this book at this time. However, since the book was a freebie, I will hold onto it in case I want to pick it back up in the future. I did not note an obvious grammatical errors in the portion I sampled.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 1:31 pm by MarisaRose.

Momlovesbooks

I've read several motivational books recently and they start to feel the same. However, the OBC reviewer gave it 4 out of 4 stars. I read the first few pages but still don't think I'll read it. It sounds like it will have good information for those looking to make a change in their lives. Since it is a shorter book than most, that is a plus for some people.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 2:12 pm by Momlovesbooks.

kstockard

The cover is a little misleading, but it is also intriguing. I really like the title, it doesn't necessarily sound like a self-help book. I really like the first 10 pages and I will definitely continue to read this book. The writing is easy to understand and highly entertaining.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 2:55 pm by kstockard.

hsimone

The title is clever and the cover definitely catches my attention. Though the blurb and reviews show this book to be positive and beneficial, I would not have sampled this read without this program since I do not read many self-help books. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I think it's sweet that the author begins his book referencing home using 'Wizard of Oz' quotes. It's inviting and friendly. Though the writing is inviting, I do not feel this is a book for me at this point in my life. In the future, this may change, but right now, I do not plan on finishing this read.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 5:26 pm by hsimone.

ZenaLei7

I usually don't like to read books like this one because I'm not interested in this type of genre. The sample was interesting but not enough for me to buy the book or even finish the book. I did not notice any major grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on March 1, 2017, at 11:41 pm by ZenaLei7.

anneloretrujillo

I probably would not have sampled this book without this program. I thought that the title and cover were clever, but I'm not into self-help books. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing this book. It comes off as a self-help book right away, which just is not for me. I did like the quotes from the Wizard of Oz at the beginning. I think they were perfect for introducing the book. It did seem to be professionally edited, it just isn't my type of book.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 1:22 am by anneloretrujillo.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be needing this book because I do not think I need any help, but it would be an interesting book to read and learn more about how people act. I am not going to be reading this book because first, it doesn't drag me into the plot. I may fall asleep if I try to read the whole book. The facts were interesting and how the author included his own thoughts into it as well. I did not see a review, and I don't think seeing one would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 1:23 am by jungkookblog.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I like the author's writing style. While I like the quotes used, I thought that there were many of them. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. While I'm sure it's a well written book, I will not be reading it further now.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 2:31 am by AA1495.

Cjgarland89

At first glance I liked the cover of this book, and the thought process behind it. It's important to free yourself from your past and be able to move on in life. It took several years for me but that process has come and gone, so I will not be finishing this book. I did enjoy the sample and the OBC review. It's very informational on what to expect and can definitely provide the reader the information they need.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 6:42 am by Cjgarland89.

klbradley

A self help book is not generally something I am ever interested in, usually because I'm unable to maintain focus while reading something that feels like a text book. I can tell this one will have a lot to offer in terms of finding your happiness, but I'm going to choose to pass on it simply because it's not a genre I like.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 8:06 am by klbradley.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read/sample this book based on its subject matter and genre. I enjoy reading self-help books.

The book was free. I downloaded it, and I plan to read the whole book eventually. I found myself connecting with what the author had to say so far.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

As I said, I connected with what the author had to say so far. In the first ten pages, he doesn't really get into the meat of how he can take you from humbug to happiness, but his meaning and intent are clear. Looking forward to reading on.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on March 2, 2017, at 8:53 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 30%

This book earned a score of 30%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 30% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Humbug to Happiness in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Humbug to Happiness in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ezramoon

Want To Read Shelf

Rachaelamb1

4-Star Shelf

Philip_S

Want To Read Shelf

Sure25

Want To Read Shelf

ahfuuu

Want To Read Shelf

tarafarah7

Want To Read Shelf