Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.3 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on November 25, 2016, at 5:29 pm by Rachaelamb1.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Epic Excellence

by David W Deal

The First Ten

Because Epic Excellence was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I probably wouldn't have sampled the book without the program as I don't read self-help books. Reading the sample and the official review didn't make me change my mind. The cover is lovely but the blurb it far too detailed. The introduction was rather long and failed to grab me. The book seems well-organized and easy to read, but it just isn't for me. I won't read the book as it isn't really my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 10:31 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

Personally, I do not think the title or the cover art of this book stand out. I thought the blurb was too long and made me think reading the book would feel like reading a texbook.
After reading the first ten pages, I can say that this book is well-written and professionally edited. I like the fact that the author acknowledges that the things he is writing about are not entirely new. I do not intend to read the rest of this book because the content does not interest me.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 11:29 am by Sarah_Khan.

Vermont Reviews

Epic Excellence by David W. Deal today's book of the day shows the reader how to develop a plan for each individual's epic excellence. I did download the book based on the preview and the reviews. One line I enjoyed from the preview. "Every person has the ability to change their own life in nearly any conceivable way if they apply the right discipline over a long enough period of time." I find it wonderful that items I wrote down over 30 years ago I am enjoying today.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 12:04 pm by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. I don't generally read non-fiction or self help books. After reading the first ten pages, I think the author does offer good tips. I think this would be a good read for the target audience and people who want to improve their life. However, I don't think this book is for me.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 12:27 pm by CrescentMoon.

bookowlie

The cover is attractive, but it doesn't really tell me anything about the content of the book. I found the summary blurb to be very long-winded and it made me think the book would be like that, too. Although the Official Review is very positive and the book's concept is good, I thought the writing style in the beginning pages was a little textbook-like and bland. As a result, this book doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 12:31 pm by bookowlie.

James Craft

The cover of this book looks excellent but right now my tbr pile is large so I don't think I will continue reading it. The interior could use a little improvement on formatting but the blurb is good. All in all a solid package and good opening.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 1:05 pm by James Craft.

jamesabr

If I were not part of this program, I would have likely overlooked this book. I am not usually a fan of the self help genre, but this book manages to break the stereotype of perpetual positivity and “thinking through one’s problems”. From the first page, Deal lets the reader know that the book is for those who are motivated enough to earn their happiness through excellence. The OnlineBookClub review for it was also informative to the book's formatting. I enjoyed reading this sample, so I will definitely purchase and read it. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 5:38 pm by jamesabr.

mratdegraff91

The cover of this work is breathtaking, and it immediately pulled me in. The short description featured on the Facebook page already has me even more interested since it focuses on both the personal and professional self. The OnlineBookClub review gave it a 3 out of 4 stars explaining that there were some grammatical errors in the book. Upon sampling the book, I did not notice any mistakes, and I like that the author explains what he would like the readers to get from his work. I have downloaded this book and will be reading it soon.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 7:09 pm by mratdegraff91.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book. I do not read self-help books. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. However, I did find the charts extremely useful - I think I could use that to set goals for myself. Still, I found myself a little confused by the term 'epic excellence', which feels relative and different for everybody. I did not read an official review. The book was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 7:56 pm by psychopathycathy.

Kdonegan91

The cover and title implied that this book is a self-help themed book. After reading the first ten pages and the OBC review, I have come to the conclusion that this book isn't for me. I am not interested in the topic or the knowledge it provides. Therefore, the part I sampled did not hold my attention.

First Ten review added on January 28, 2017, at 11:23 pm by Kdonegan91.

anneloretrujillo

I don't think I would have sampled this book based on the genre and the OBC review. I'm don't really like non-fiction books, and this one didn't seem to be a concept of interest to me. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be finishing this book. I knew from the first sentence that it wasn't my type of book. The author stated who should read it, and I'm not really someone that would be interested in it. I did like the charts at the beginning of the first chapter, and I liked the structure of the book. I just like to read for fun. I have to do enough non-fun reading for school, so all my other books are purely for pleasure reading. It did seem to be professionally edited. This just isn't the book for me.

First Ten review added on January 29, 2017, at 1:48 am by anneloretrujillo.

Gravy

This isn't a genre that I would read, and this one isn't going to change my mind. It's just not for me.
I would suggest an edit, there was a missing 'n' at the end of a sentence, which seems very noticeable to have been overlooked. I was annoyed early on in the sample. It came across as preachy and self-aggrandizing, but I was more impressed later on. I appreciate that this isn't just a 'you can have anything you want' false promise. I appreciate the thoughts expressed, and the more realistic beliefs behind them.
If I read this type of book, I'd definitely read this, but it's just not to my taste.

First Ten review added on January 29, 2017, at 6:27 am by Gravy.

L_Therese

I wasn't very enthusiastic about this one and probably would not have tried it without this program because of its genre. It's not what I'm looking for right now. However,the OBC review had a lot of good things to say. When I read the first ten pages, I found in the introduction that this book was not going to work for me. My initial impression confirmed, I decided to pass.

First Ten review added on January 29, 2017, at 10:03 am by L_Therese.

hsimone

Though the cover is beautiful, and the whole concept of this book seems inspiring, I would not have sampled this read on my own. Sometimes, I don't mind reading a self-help book, but I do not enjoy reading many of them since I feel the message is very similar and at times can be repetitive. The OBC review is fairly positive, which is always a plus in deciding if I will read a book or not.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I like the examples provided in a sample of what a Plan table could look like. The examples of eating more vegetables, exercising, etc. are relatable and beneficial. However, the topic and writing style is a bit bland for me. This might be due to me not wanting to read a self-help right now. Overall, I do not plan on giving this a full read.

First Ten review added on January 29, 2017, at 2:48 pm by hsimone.

MarisaRose

"Epic Excellence" is not a book I would typically choose to read. I don't usually care for self help books. After sampling the beginning of the book as part of this program I was not immediately hooked. The author even states at the beginning that there is no new or inventive information in the book, just a new way of portraying the information. After that anecdote and the following few pages, I did not want to continue the book. I didn't find any issues with the writing or editing, I simply didn't care for the content. If the beginning had more of a hook, I may have considered reading more of the book.

First Ten review added on January 29, 2017, at 11:07 pm by MarisaRose.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because I personally don't think I need this book. I am not going to be reading this book because of the whole plot. I don't think I will be needing the book. I do like how the author used a lot of evidence and there is a step for step process to help the reader. A lot of it seems confusing to me, though. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on January 30, 2017, at 12:02 am by jungkookblog.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion has changed. The book seems practical and useful for those who follow it. However, I found the introduction a little long. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. The book seems to have some good ideas and hence, I will read the book further.

First Ten review added on January 30, 2017, at 12:03 am by AA1495.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read/sample this book because I enjoy reading these types of self-help books. Plus, the OBC reviewer really liked it and recommended it.

The book was free so I did download it. I do plan to read the whole book. I'm going to begin the process he outlines immediately. I really like the way he explains his concepts.

The book seems to be edited well. I only saw one small error at location 141 where "breaks in" was written as "breaks i."

As I said, I enjoyed the concepts he outlined. What he talks about makes perfect sense. Also, I enjoyed the analogy of writing your goals down makes you more apt to work toward them, and comparing this to a road map of getting you where you need to go. I'm looking forward to getting started on implementing the tools in the book.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on January 30, 2017, at 1:16 am by truebookaddict.

CataclysmicKnight

I like motivational and self-improvement books, but I've also read a BUNCH of them, so I'm a little picky on new ones. This one started off well enough (the first ten pages were all introduction, both an introduction to the entire book and the first section), but I was put off a bit by the fact that it linked to printable worksheets that had to be purchased separately. It's very clear the author is thorough with his planning and gives a great example of the worksheets as he goes, but I don't see finishing this one.

First Ten review added on January 30, 2017, at 2:01 am by CataclysmicKnight.

Cjgarland89

I wouldn't have sampled this book without the program because I don't really care for self help books. The cover is nice and the review was informative but it didn't make me want to read the book. After sampling I just confirmed that I'm not interested, the intro was boring and seemed to be drawn out. I didn't see any errors in the sample.

First Ten review added on January 30, 2017, at 6:41 am by Cjgarland89.

Total ~ 25%

This book earned a score of 25%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 25% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Epic Excellence in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Epic Excellence in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Rachaelamb1

3-Star Shelf

serena08max

Want To Read Shelf

melni

Want To Read Shelf

Leemarie9

Want To Read Shelf

mtmom57

Want To Read Shelf

tarafarah7

Want To Read Shelf