Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.7 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on November 10, 2016, at 7:17 am by Rachaelamb1.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Be Brave: believing that one person can change the world

by D.B. Haire

The First Ten

Because Be Brave was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

ashley_claire

I really like the cover for this book. It feels professionally done and is nice to look at. After reading the OBC review, I know this book is not my cup of tea. I don't enjoy spiritual books. The first ten pages didn't change my mind, but I do think they were well written and would be enjoyable to people who like this genre. I like that the book is comprised of short stories from different people all over the world. It's an idea for a book that I haven't heard of before, which is always nice to come across. I won't continue with this book as it's just not the type of book I like to read.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 10:36 am by ashley_claire.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

bookowlie

I was intrigued by the subtitle as it made me think the book would be about how one person can make a difference. Also, the artwork obscures the title a bit and the font color of the subtitle makes it hard to see. The summary blurb is well written and gave me a clearer sense of what the book would be about (instead of the subtitle). I wasn't as interested in reading the book once I knew it was overly religious-themed. The beginning pages are also well written and appear to be professionally edited. As previously stated, I am not interested in this genre so I am going to pass on this one.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 10:42 am by bookowlie.

jamesabr

The Warehouse (chapter one) was very descriptive. If I were not a part of the First Ten program, I would have sampled this book due to the title and blurb it received on Facebook. The Online Book Club rating was positive, but didn't give me the impression that this was a book that I would delve into. While sampling this book, I found it easy to read. The vivid imagery of several people sleeping in the chilly air of an Asian country and relying on the images in their dreams was a little charming and somewhat fascinating, but I am not looking forward to the rest of the stories because of it. My favorite part was the joke that the Brian made about the "wholly stomach" making an appearance in Tex's dream. I am not interested enough in this book to purchase and read it, so I will not be doing so. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 10:49 am by jamesabr.

Christina O Phillips

Based on the summary of the book, I could tell this was not my kind of book. While I find the concept intriguing and I do wish to understand how people's faith can be so strong, it is not the type of book I'd normally read.
I read the first ten pages and while they are well-written and could be of interest to someone else, this book is just not my cup of tea. I did not connect enough with the characters or situations to make me want to read more.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 10:51 am by Christina O Phillips.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own as this is not a book I would normally read. The cover isn't very fetching, but the blurb is fine. The sample seems well-written, but its premise didn't pull me in, nor did I enjoy the religious overtones. I won't buy the book as Christian-themed books, and especially missionary type ones, aren't my preferable read. In addition, the subject matter isn't something that interests me.The Official review further made me realize that the book isn't for me.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 10:58 am by gali.

James Craft

This looks like a great read though the cover could use a little bit of work. It is simple and interesting but difficult to read. I won't be continuing this one because I am not a huge fan of religious texts and stories like this, but I didn't notice any problems with the beginning regarding errors for formatting problems. It looks like something a lot of people will enjoy but just not for me.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 11:05 am by James Craft.

Vermont Reviews

The experiences that are related by author D.B. Haire in his book Be Brave shows the adventures that God has plans for each of his servants. True commitment to serve and make a difference in the world of today. By being brave. I did purchase the book based on the preview.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 11:20 am by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

CataclysmicKnight

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this one when I cracked it open, but I'm very glad I dove in. The first story has been incredibly inspiring and insightful, and I ended up reading well past the first ten pages. There's no doubt I'll finish this one!

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 11:47 am by CataclysmicKnight.

ananya92

This book is collection of stories featuring missionaries and their experiences during their missionary work. From the review and the description, it was clear to me that this book holds more appeal for devout Christians than undecided agnostics like me. The book seems to be professionally edited and from the sample it seems that the stories are in first person narrative. There is an overall sense of light humor in the tales, and thankfully, less irrationality. However, despite the well-written stories, I could not connect with the people/characters in the book, due to my lack of faith and understanding of Christianity (or any institutionalized religion). Therefore, this book is not my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 12:49 pm by ananya92.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would not have read the book because of its genre. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I don't think religious books are for me but I did like the casual writing style of the book. I also liked the short passages from the Bible that were insightful although I was not religious. It was professionally edited. The official review did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 1:50 pm by psychopathycathy.

Scerakor

The cover, review, and blurbs on this book did not overly appeal to me as I don't usually read Christian fiction of any type. This isn't the type of book that would interest me and I wouldn't have picked it up from the aforementioned characteristics alone. Reading the sample/first ten pages of this book did not change my mind at all. Even though it is very well written and edited, the content of this short story compilation really doesn't interest me. I do like how passionate and positive the characters seem (and assuming that the stories are all true, the people on which they are based) during the sample; they very much seem passionate about their chosen task. I will not be buying this book and reading it later. The official OBC review that I read did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 2:05 pm by Scerakor.

Shelle

We've been going through sermon series about mission work at my church, so this topic has been close to my heart recently. The opening story was well-written and grabbed my attention easily and left me wanting to read more. Without much thought, I bought the book and I know it'll get read soon. The book appears to be professionally edited and error-free.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 3:01 pm by Shelle.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think this book is for me. I am not much into religious themed books so I will pass. After reading the first ten pages, I do see that the book is quite error free and free of grammars which is good. But I'll pass on this one.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 3:13 pm by CrescentMoon.

Sarah_Khan

The cover and title of this book are interesting but I probably would not have picked this book up myself because it is not one of my usual genres. After reading the first few pages, I can say that this book is professionally edited and well-written. I can see how this might appeal to someone that is looking for uplifting stories, but personally this just is not my type of novel, therefore I do not intend to purchase this book today.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 4:39 pm by Sarah_Khan.

dhomespot

Religious books are not usually my cup of tea. I did find the sample interesting and the official review did push me toward purchasing it. The book looks to be professionally edited and I did not find any flaws in the writing. I may still buy the book in the future because of the sample that I read.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 6:26 pm by dhomespot.

Pilar Guerrero

This book is a fun story to read. It is well written and at the same time it is told with passion, including details that can help the reader understand what the characters are going through. The story reminded me of moments in my life in which I felt in a similar way, so it was easy to empathize with the missionary. Though it is a story nice to read, I would not buy the book because I am not interested in Christian stories in this moment of my life.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 9:42 pm by Pilar Guerrero.

Shreyoshi Sen

I already went through the review and no doubt the book is really inspiring. My only problem is, the book is a religious one and I don't read religious books. The theme of the book is quiet nice but I am not buying it.

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 10:41 pm by Shreyoshi Sen.

hsimone

The cover is an interesting one, though the dark red is a bit unappealing. The title seems inspiring, which I like. I do not normally read very much Christian books, and though this one does have a good number of positive reviews, including the OBC, I would not have sampled this read. Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I think it's neat and unique of the author to tell a story in which God is a presence that is easily and often spoken about. To be honest, even though I am Catholic, the story here is not pulling me enough to want to purchase this book. Though I can see many enjoying the read!

First Ten review added on April 13, 2017, at 10:42 pm by hsimone.

Amagine

The cover isn't really eye catching but the story caught my interest instead. After reading the review, I know a little bit of what the story is about.I enjoy the fact that the underlying message is about faith in God. I enjoy reading about missionaries as well. I read the sample and I applaud the author for jumping right into the story and letting readers get to know the characters. Even though, this book will be popular with certain audiences, it's not a book I would normally read.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 12:43 am by Amagine.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I liked the author's writing style and found the sample easy to read. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. since I do not read the genre usually, I will not be purchasing the book today.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 11:10 am by AA1495.

Momlovesbooks

The description of the book caught my attention. I've been reading a book about a missionary and this one seemed to be along the same lines. I read the sample and was engrossed in the first story of two men allowing God to lead them. I look forward to reading the other stories about faith and heartache as a missionary.

First Ten review added on April 14, 2017, at 4:42 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Cjgarland89

The cover fits the topic of the book well. It's not something I would normally read, but the OBC review had me pretty interested. After sampling the book I don't think I'm interested in buying and finishing this book. I think the topic would interest those that are religious types and and enjoy reading missionary stories.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 12:25 am by Cjgarland89.

anneloretrujillo

I would not have sampled this book without this program because of the genre and the fact that it is a Christian based book. I don't usually like non-fiction, and I tend to stray away from faith-based books. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be buying this book. It isn't the right content for me. The style was good, but was a little too religious right away. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 12:36 am by anneloretrujillo.

L_Therese

Non-fiction is a favorite genre for me, but I have to be very particular with recreational reads due to a long, long list and severe time constraints. As I considered whether to read this book, both of these factors were prominent. In the end, I decided not to read it. As I started reading the first ten pages, I felt disconnected from the characters because I didn't feel I had been completely oriented to the action and because we had a few worldview differences that would have made it difficult to relate anyway. There's plenty of potential there, especially since there are apparently several stories, but I don't plan to finish the book for now.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 1:21 am by L_Therese.

Gravy

I enjoyed the author's passion for the subject, though it's not really something I want to read at this point. There was an error in the blurb on Amazon, but I didn't notice any in the actual pages of the book. The cover is attractive and makes sense.
This is something that may decide to stay with me, making me want to read it at a later date, but I must say no for right now.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 2:24 am by Gravy.

jungkookblog

I don't think I will be reading this book because it seems like it's stories about perseverence and things to keep you going. That doesn't seem to interest me. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be reading the whole book because it seems like it is often about religion and God. I have nothing against religion, but it doesn't seem like it's interesting to read. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think that will affect my decision.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 2:44 am by jungkookblog.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would not have chosen to read/sample this book because I am not a Christian and books centered around Christianity are not for me.

I will not buy and read the whole book for the same reason as above. Reading the first ten pages did not change my mind, especially after reading that Brandon and Brian were seeing visions from God. I just don't believe it.

The book does seem professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

The only thing I can say is that I admire the work missionaries do because I know it's not always about converting people. They do help people in need. This book is definitely something Christians would enjoy reading. I can't suggest any improvements because I feel I'm biased against it due to the subject matter.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 4:37 am by truebookaddict.

MarisaRose

After reading the positive OBC review for "Be Brave" I wanted to at least sample the book. I'm not sure this is a book I would have chosen to read if not for this program, mostly because I don't typically care for religious based books. In the beginning sample I liked the author's conversational tone while recounting his stories. I had no complaints about the writing; the narrative flowed nicely. I think the reason I will not continue reading this book is really just because of the content. I wasn't hooked by the beginning and knowing the general content of this book is about missionary work, I just don't think I will care for the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on April 15, 2017, at 7:18 am by MarisaRose.

Total ~ 14%

This book earned a score of 14%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 14% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Be Brave in their shelves?

24 members have Be Brave in their shelves.

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Rachaelamb1

4-Star Shelf

Kdonegan91

Want To Read Shelf

e-tasana-williams

Want To Read Shelf

Vermont Reviews

Want To Read Shelf

blakejack1123

Want To Read Shelf

Majikalone

Want To Read Shelf